ADVERTISEMENT

STEVE Forbes Wake Forest

I'll probably do equally as well. Unfortunately, you probably will as well.

The difference is the "better" colleges are more selective. When the majority of your students are the brightest and most motivated, they should also be successful after they graduate. I'm not sure how much I attribute it towards the quality of education. The degree from those schools is basically an advertisement to potential employers that you're a bright and motivated person.

On the flip side, most big state schools are less selective and give potentially less motivated students a chance to turn things around. Many of those people do and are very successful after college.

I really don't think it matters after you've worked for a few years, have a resume and have built a reputation.

Agree. Once you have a track record, the degree is simply window dressing so you pass minimum requirements for the gig. I rarely focus on the college someone attended when hiring folks for my division. I look at experience and obviously rely on references and with people whose opinion I respect.

Of course, if you have an ivy league degree that totally changes things. But when I'm talking Wake Forest versus University of Kentucky versus North Carolina versus Florida State, again I go with the experience and the networking references.

ADVERTISEMENT