ADVERTISEMENT

South Carolina fires Frank Martin…

AuHoosier420

Gold Member
Oct 9, 2008
Just couldn’t ever capitalize again on that final 4 run in 2017. The SEC will now have at least 5 schools with new coaches. Could be more to come

• Wow
Reactions: Random UK Fan
SEC going to have soo many new coaches!!
Could be a good thing depending on the new hires. They upgraded in recent years with Oats, Musselman, Barnes, Williams, etc. Just need to find some better coaches for the bottom feeders. Kermit Davis may not have a very long leash either. Jury still out on Stackhouse.

Reactions: Noahtogo24
I think florida was going to give him 1 more year. He left because why coach as a lame duck next season if you can have a fresh start at a program with same financial resources
Yeah, smart move to pounce on another power conference job when the opportunity arises. He won't have as much pressure to win at UGA either (maybe just don't finish dead last in the conference every year).

I think Mike White probably knew he was the next coach at Georgia while he was still coaching for FLA.

This NCAAT is going to make some new coaches some $.

I'm glad I'm not the guy who had to fire him.

giphy.gif

Supposedly players love him, not sure if that's changed.

He would probably be an excellent assistant coach at this point of his career.

Who will South Carolina get that’s clearly better though? I mean South Carolina is as bad of a job as auburn was prior to pearl and auburn basically lucked into pearl. An illegal bbq may be the best moment in auburn basketball history.
This was my thought......Though Martin hasn't set the world on fire at SC----Who the **** has?

This was my thought......Though Martin hasn't set the world on fire at SC----Who the **** has?
He got to a final 4 there. No one else has done that. The SEC schools are just demanding more though. People see a program like auburn win multiple sec titles and a final 4 in the last 5 years and think they should now be doing the same. Kentucky has always done these things but when you see programs like auburn, tenneseee, Alabama now winning sec titles it’s eye opening for others.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
USC gamecocks are so disconnected from reality, Frank Martin took them for a final four trip and they should've built a statue for him. Theres never gonna be another coach that could perform the same magic with this cursed program, they actually think they deserve to go to March Madness every year lol.

USC gamecocks are so disconnected from reality, Frank Martin took them for a final four trip and they should've built a statue for him. Theres never gonna be another coach that could perform the same magic with this cursed program, they actually think they deserve to go to March Madness every year lol.

I can sort of see both sides here. He’s the only coach to get them to the sweet 16 since the 1970s and the only one to get them beyond that ever. Huge accomplishment for that dumpster fire of a program.

But 10 years with only 1 NCAA trip is hard to swallow. He also only had 1 other time where they made the NIT, which was 2016. So he hasn't just been missing the tournament, he’s been missing badly.

Last edited:
Reactions: lurkeraspect84
All P5 programs should aspire to make the NCAAT. That F4 was impressive and a hell of a run. But it was 5 years ago and they haven't made the NCAAT since, and they haven't been close. They also failed to make the NCAAT under his watch the 5 years prior to the F4.

They never made it under Horn, and they made it one time for Odom I think.

So I don't blame their administration for looking to make a change. Simply put, their fans deserve better.

Frank McGuire took them to 3 sweet 16 apearances and another tournament appearance. Fogler took them to the tourney twice.

I can sort of see both sides here. He’s the only coach to get them to the sweet 16 since the 1970s and the only one to get them beyond that ever. Huge accomplishment for that dumpster fire of a program.

But 10 years with only 1 NCAA trip is hard to swallow. He also only had 1 other time where they made the NIT, which was 2016. So he hasn't just been missing the tournament, he’s been missing badly.
Do they deserve to be "Carolina"? They used to demand it when posting here.

Frank is so damn Jeckyll and Hyde tho. When he’s NOT on the court, he’s soft spoken and personable. We ALL know his on court persona tho! Just have to win games, and he didn’t win enough.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
I think Martin is a solid coach. SCAR needed better recruiting, but their team always came to play, but talent hurt them.

Reactions: duckboy33
I think Martin is a solid coach. SCAR needed better recruiting, but their team always came to play, but talent hurt them.

Agree 100%

Dozier was the last big time recruit Frank Martin brought in and Dozier helped take them to the Final Four. You need players in order to win

Reactions: della
ADVERTISEMENT