ADVERTISEMENT

Sounds like MSU is one of the last clean programs in the country

payne.jpg

@JRMSU, I'm not sure how anyone can read that and say "nothing happened". It's one thing to take @MGC_07's stance that there needs to be a conviction to suspend somebody (which I disagree with) but to read that and not think Appling did anything wrong is mind boggling.

payne.jpg

@JRMSU, I'm not sure how anyone can read that and say "nothing happened". It's one thing to take @MGC_07's stance that there needs to be a conviction to suspend somebody (which I disagree with) but to read that and not think Appling did anything wrong is mind boggling.

Agreed. I’m not sure how Stuart Dunning could go out and say “no crime was committed here”.

I’m just saying he did and I don’t get how you can expect a coach to hear that and turn around and suspend a player.

Dude I didn’t say nothing happened. The UM booster DA said in the press conference nothing happened.

DA might have been wrong but how was Izzo supposed to know that? Hindsight

If Izzo saw/read Payne's testimony (along with the girl's claims) and concluded that "nothing happened, Appling was an upstanding student athlete" then shame on Izzo.

Agreed. I’m not sure how Stuart Dunning could go out and say “no crime was committed here”.

I’m just saying he did and I don’t get how you can expect a coach to hear that and turn around and suspend a player.

So you agree that Payne's interview looks bad for Appling?

But you don't think Izzo should have used that knowledge to sit Appling for a half or game? Something? Anything?

:eek:

Disturbing.

If Izzo saw/read Payne's testimony (along with the girl's claims) and concluded that "nothing happened, Appling was an upstanding student athlete" then shame on Izzo.

But Izzo didn’t. He didn’t have access to Ingham County records.

So you agree that Payne's interview looks bad for Appling?

But you don't think Izzo should have used that knowledge to sit Appling for a half or game? Something? Anything?

:eek:

Disturbing.

Nobody not even the OTL piece is saying Izzo or the AD had access to that tape or testimony at the time.

Nobody not even the OTL piece is saying Izzo or the AD had access to that tape or testimony at the time.

If that's the case then I can't blame Izzo if he didn't know. If he did have access to it, would you agree something should have been done?

Reactions: JRMSU
If Y'all paid better Bazley would have stayed committed. Boeheim needs to get with the program.

This whole thing makes some of Syracuse's recent recruiting misses make a lot more sense.

I didn’t read past the first page but I don’t think the video was released. And like I said, you gotta follow what the experts say. And when the DA says nothing happened you can’t really do much.

You read the page I took a screenshot of before and agreed that it'd be silly to say "nothing happened". Was a crime committed? Maybe, maybe not. Can a reasonable person come to the conclusion that Appling did something wrong even if the DA office doesn't think a crime was committed? I think so (and you agreed).

Reactions: Mgkcbb
Dude I didn’t say nothing happened. The UM booster DA said in the press conference nothing happened.

DA might have been wrong but how was Izzo supposed to know that? Hindsight
What did Izzo do when he found out about the rape. That's what it was, it was a rape. She didn't want to have sex with those two. That's not why she was there.
Bad decision on her part, but an even worse decision made by those two players.
But what did Izzo do?
I know a ton of MSU fans and they all act just like you. All of you guys are more concerned with protecting Izzo, his job and his legacy. But if I was that girls dad, I'd be livid.
The girl most likely doesn't want to blow this thing up because it's already bad enough, but those two should have been kicked off the team and Izzo should have done so much more.
You MSU fans need to stop worrying about Izzo's legacy and focus on what really is important. But you do you.

He should suspend the player simply because he's supposed to be a mentor to these kids and you can't tell me he didn't understand the gravity of what happened.
He put winning above everything else and thought nobody outside his walls would ever find out. He tried to hide it.

But Izzo didn’t. He didn’t have access to Ingham County records.
Did he bother to ask the two players… .his players, what happened? Or did he just not want to know? He knew something happened right?

What did Izzo do when he found out about the rape. That's what it was, it was a rape. She didn't want to have sex with those two. That's not why she was there.
But what did Izzo do?
I know a ton of MSU fans and they all act just like you. All of you guys are more concerned with protecting Izzo, his job and his legacy. But if I was that girls dad, I'd be livid.
The girl most likely doesn't want to blow this thing up because it's already bad enough, but those two should have been kicked off the team and Izzo should have done so much more.
You MSU fans need to stop worrying about Izzo's legacy and focus on what really is important. But you do you.

Tom Izzo has rarely, if ever, done something that will hurt the ceiling of his team and his chase for a second title.

They were preseason number 2 when the assault happened. No way would he even consider kicking off two top 40 freshmen.

He publicly bitched about Marcus Taylor leaving school after two years to become a late second round pick in 2002. Izzo felt jilted without a point and would repeatedly bring this up in the 2003 and 2004 seasons (who the f*ck does that with a former player).

He sold Durrell Summers on coming back for senior year after having a high level run to the F4 in 2010. Summers was at worst an early second round pick. A poor senior year and Summers never found a minute in the NBA.

When Payne was a borderline first round pick in 2013, it was Izzo who volunteered to handle all discussions with NBA teams to gain proper feedback. Payne would ultimately come back one final year (hello conflict of interest).

Despite a slew of guys in the 25-50 recruit range, Izzo went from 2006-2014 without sending a guy early to the league (nearly mathematically impossible).

Deyonta Davis was viewed as a mid first round pick after his frosh year in 2016. Davis came from a very poor family. While Davis was deciding to stay or go, Izzo was quoted as saying he should be doing what is best to get a second NBA contract and another year at MSU may be the best path for that (forego helping your family get a normal lifestyle, stay one more year and maybe someday you can be super rich!).

So Davis is in the green room, but drops to the first pick in the second round. One of the ESPN guys comes on and says Izzo is gonna have a talking to with his incoming freshmen about this sort of decision (you better stay if you think about leaving for the NBA). Fortunately Davis got a 4 mil contract.

Next year Miles Bridges is thinking of leaving, but ends up staying (first frosh in 25 years to get 16/8 and return to school. Congrats Tom!).

So yeah, suspending two players over some mischief. Nah. Not happening.

I’d like to reiterate, I think Payne and Appling are guilty and not good people. I have never defended them.

Tom Izzo didn’t suspend 2 players that were accused of a crime but ultimately no charges were filed becuase they decided there wasn’t enough evidence. I personally don’t think that makes him a bad person.

@Hail...So you take a few sentences out of an 80 page report where an 18 year old kid was asked leading questions and interrogated by police without a lawyer and you are deciphering guilt huh?

Your ax to grind is pathetic.

Reactions: JDMEvergreen
But what did Izzo do?

"DAs office, TitleIX office, and OCR--no crime was committed"

Online message posters "Rape was committed"

Reactions: JDMEvergreen
"DAs office, TitleIX office, and OCR--no crime was committed"

Online message posters "Rape was committed"
You must not have a daughter or a sister. That girl didn't want to have sex with those two, they forced it on her and she didn't want to go through the embarrassment of a very public lawsuit, so she walked away. I don't care what the DA says, it was rape.

Hail with some nice lawyering skills in this thread. Opposing counsel really dropped the ball in witness prep.

A lot of clean big programs too. MSU isn't unique in this regard.
Exactly. Not to make it a conference thing, but I don't think I've heard of a single B10 program indicated. As well as most of the rest of the P5 to this point. It ain't just the little guys.

Roy Williams can't BELIEVE the corruption in college ball.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...dumbfounded-by-college-basketball-corruption/

"It's a massive thing that's still going on, and I'm just dumbfounded," he said on Tuesday. "I had somebody criticize me and say 'you shouldn't be dumbfounded.' Well, excuse me, I have my right to have my own feelings. That world that they're explaining out there I'm not familiar with. Period. In 30 years as a head coach I have never had anyone ask me for money. I have never asked any shoe company to recruit for me. I have never asked anyone other than the family what is most important to you."

What is Izzo's legacy?? Consistently getting stomped by Duke in the tournament???? Making the final four then losing?

Asking for a friend.

ADVERTISEMENT