ADVERTISEMENT

Sounds like it is going to be a good weekend for Duke.

4 straight #1 classes, zero final fours. Including the best player in years and a generational talent.
Do you watch the games?
Do you know how to judge talent?

Pick and choose how you like to judge and talk trash on preseason recruiting rankings.

Man, you and JC are truly living up to the Kentucky reputation.

4 straight #1 classes, zero final fours. Including the best player in years and a generational talent.

Ohhhhhh, so when you said “every year” you didn’t literally mean EVERY year that Cal’s been at UK.

You just meant the past 4 years because looking at the whole scene would hurt your argument.

Another arbitrary timeline.

Reactions: UL_1986
Ohhhhhh, so when you said “every year” you didn’t literally mean EVERY year that Cal’s been at UK.

You just meant the past 4 years because looking at the whole scene would hurt your argument.

Another arbitrary timeline.

I don't know what 2010 has to do with anything when Duke clearly wasn't in on one and done then. K took over the recruiting rankings in 2014. They won the title that year and have disappointed since then every year. Besides I was mainly trolling to get the worst poster on the board butthurt which clearly worked. Good to see it bothered you too though.

Do you watch the games?
Do you know how to judge talent?

Pick and choose how you like to judge and talk trash on preseason recruiting rankings.

Man, you and JC are truly living up to the Kentucky reputation.

L O L

Also, to be fair, despite having the #1 class for the past 4 years, Duke has not been preseason #1 every time.

#5 ‘15-16
#7 ‘16-17
#4 ‘17-18
#4 ‘18-19

According to pre-rankings, only 2 should have been final fours.

I don't know what 2010 has to do with anything when Duke clearly wasn't in on one and done then. K took over the recruiting rankings in 2014. They won the title that year and have disappointed since then every year. Besides I was mainly trolling to get the worst poster on the board butthurt which clearly worked. Good to see it bothered you too though.

L O L

It didn’t get to me. It’s just a stupid post lol. Because you didn’t say “since the one and done era.” The one and done era started well before 2015. And is there really a big difference between the #1 and #2 classes? They had the #2 class in 2011. Is that much of a difference? No.

I'll try to get this thread back on track. Hurt is a big pick up. Good shooter who has a knack for scoring. Good size. More athletic than he is being given credit for. If Duke continues to play zone K will be able to hide him on D. I am a UK fan who will tell you the Robert Morris loss was a mercy killing. Harrow derailed that team early. Must of us were glad to see it was over. Losing to a crap IU team was a much harder loss.

Since Cal started coaching at Kentucky...

1st Round Picks:
Kentucky- 25
Duke- 17

Titles:
Duke- 2
Kentucky- 1

Duke didn't have the #1 class in 2015. Pretty clear that there was only two impact players in 2015 (Ingram/Kennard) and 2016 (Tatum/Frank Jackson). 2017 and 2018 classes were both within a single basket of going to back-to-back final fours. K should probably be fired, or at least demoted.

Duke
2016: we just had Brandon Ingram as our big recruit; that team wasn't expected to do much after we lost Jones, Winslow, Okafor and Cook; making the Sweet 16 and losing to Oregon in Anaheim, CA as a 4 seed is nothing to be ashamed of

2017: lost in the 2nd Round to a Final Four Gamecocks team that got hot at the right time right in their backyard in Greenville, SC after the Bathroom law moved that game from Raleigh to SC; just a terrible draw there plus Giles was basically a nobody with his injury and Frank Jackson wasn't expected to be a OAD

2018: Duke was a #2 Seed who lost to the #1 Seed KU in OT of the Elite 8 in Omaha City, Nebraska; got unlucky that a Grayson Allen shot rimmed out

2019: Lost in the Elite 8 to an underseeded MSU who was a top 5 team themselves; we should've gotten Michigan as our #2 Seed and Cam Reddish was a complete failure as a top 5 recruit like Skal Labissiere for UK

UK
2016: UK lost to sweaty Crean and a mediocre IU team with Tyler Ulis and Jamal Murray; embarrassing

2017: Elite 8; no complaints

2018: lost in the Sweet 16 to a KState team without its best player Dean Wade after the bracket completely opened up for Kentucky to make the Final 4; Loyola of Chicago smoked that KState team in the Elite 8

2019: lost to an Auburn team without Okeke after the bracket opened for UK to make the Final 4 again

Even taking into account that Duke has recruited better than UK since 2014, Cal has underperformed worse than K in the tournament.

You guys actually got lucky with your brackets in the past 4 years and still couldn't take advantage of it. Duke's been unlucky with its placement in comparison.

Reactions: jhmossy
Has Matthew Hurt committed to Duke? I’ve seen people on here imply that he has, I just don’t see anything when I look it up. I thought KU was in the drivers seat for him?

We laid an egg in 17,18 and this season. K is trying to catch lightning in a bottle. Hasn’t worked yet. 15 team was not put together like the last few seasons.
At Duke, we chase titles, not elite 8’s. In the one and done era, both K and Cal are making fans say the same thing the Cub fans used to say: “Wait til next year!”

Last edited:
Duke
2016: we just had Brandon Ingram as our big recruit; that team wasn't expected to do much after we lost Jones, Winslow, Okafor and Cook; making the Sweet 16 and losing to Oregon in Anaheim, CA as a 4 seed is nothing to be ashamed of

2017: lost in the 2nd Round to a Final Four Gamecocks team that got hot at the right time right in their backyard in Greenville, SC after the Bathroom law moved that game from Raleigh to SC; just a terrible draw there plus Giles was basically a nobody with his injury and Frank Jackson wasn't expected to be a OAD

2018: Duke was a #2 Seed who lost to the #1 Seed KU in OT of the Elite 8 in Omaha City, Nebraska; got unlucky that a Grayson Allen shot rimmed out

2019: Lost in the Elite 8 to an underseeded MSU who was a top 5 team themselves; we should've gotten Michigan as our #2 Seed and Cam Reddish was a complete failure as a top 5 recruit like Skal Labissiere for UK

UK
2016: UK lost to sweaty Crean and a mediocre IU team with Tyler Ulis and Jamal Murray; embarrassing

2018: lost in the Sweet 16 to a KState team without its best player Dean Wade after the bracket completely opened up for Kentucky to make the Final 4; Loyola of Chicago smoked that KState team in the Elite 8

2019: lost to an Auburn team without Okeke after the bracket opened for UK to make the Final 4 again

Even taking into account that Duke has recruited better than UK since 2014, Cal has underperformed worse than K in the tournament.

You guys actually got lucky with your brackets in the past 4 years and still couldn't take advantage of it. Duke's been unlucky with its placement in comparison.

Are you still bitching about getting a stupid easy bracket and still not making it out of it? Michigan State was missing like 3 players. You had two of the top players in the country. That's a terrible loss.
2016 UK won the SEC tournament and was given a 4 seed while the team they beat got a 3 in A&M. Their reward was an under seeded Indiana team who won the B10 tourney.
2017 they were the best 2 seed and got put in the best 1 seeds bracket with a brutal second round matchup
2018 UK sucked and Kansas State played their A game.
This year UK lost in overtime to a team who had just destroyed UNC and KU. Even without Okeke they should have beaten Virginia too.

You essentially saying your loss to South Carolina didn't matter is laughable. Same with losing to an Oregon team. You underperformed all 4 years according to seed. UK underperformed once and played to seed 3 times. Last year the bracket fell apart for UK but that team sucked.

Reactions: JC for 3
Are you still bitching about getting a stupid easy bracket and still not making it out of it?
2016 UK won the SEC tournament and was given a 4 seed while the team they beat got a 3 in A&M. Their reward was an under seeded Indiana team who won the B10 tourney.
2017 they were the best 2 seed and got put in the best 1 seeds bracket with a brutal second round matchup
This year UK lost in overtime to a team who had just destroyed UNC and KU. Even without Okeke they should have beaten Virginia too.

You essentially saying your loss to South Carolina didn't matter is laughable. Same with losing to an Oregon team. You underperformed all 4 years according to seed. UK underperformed once and played to seed 3 times. Last year the bracket fell apart for UK but that team sucked.
The hypocrisy of your posts is just down right hysterical. You slam Duke and the Duke fan for trying to explain the facts and then use your own sorry excuses to explain UK's losses.

Face it, if you have half a brain, you know recruiting rankings mean nothing when it comes to results. Team chemistry and personalities and agendas come into play more than in the past.

Individually Bagley, Carter and crew were amazing. As a team, not so much. Duval was terrible.

But if putting down Duke helps you sleep or makes you feel better, have at it. NIT baby. Bobby Morris baby.

The hypocrisy of your posts is just down right hysterical. You slam Duke and the Duke fan for trying to explain the facts and then use your own sorry excuses to explain UK's losses.

Face it, if you have half a brain, you know recruiting rankings mean nothing when it comes to results. Team chemistry and personalities and agendas come into play more than in the past.

Individually Bagley, Carter and crew were amazing. As a team, not so much. Duval was terrible.

But if putting down Duke helps you sleep or makes you feel better, have at it. NIT baby. Bobby Morris baby.

I was merely doing what he was doing. Good try good effort mentioning the NIT year which doesn't matter at all though.

I was merely doing what he was doing. Good try good effort mentioning the NIT year which doesn't matter at all though.
If Duke losing in the first round matters to you UK fans, why doesn't the NIT year matter for your team or the second round exit to IU.

Duke

UK

Love the whining about location. When you're used to playing every tourney game before a home crowd, I guess it would seem unfair to face KU within 300 mi of campus. Laughing

Nevermind that you had far more talent, of course.

Has Matthew Hurt committed to Duke? I’ve seen people on here imply that he has, I just don’t see anything when I look it up. I thought KU was in the drivers seat for him?

Nah, that pasty weakling is as good as theirs. He'll fit in well.

Reactions: JC for 3
Love the whining about location. When you're used to playing every tourney game before a home crowd, I guess it would seem unfair to face KU within 300 mi of campus. Laughing

Every tourney game before a home crowd? How so?

If Duke losing in the first round matters to you UK fans, why doesn't the NIT year matter for your team or the second round exit to IU.

Reading is hard

It didn’t get to me. It’s just a stupid post lol. Because you didn’t say “since the one and done era.” The one and done era started well before 2015. And is there really a big difference between the #1 and #2 classes? They had the #2 class in 2011. Is that much of a difference? No.

It's not really smart to argue that placement in a series is the determining factor in the delta between placements. For example, take the following series of numbers:
  • 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
  • 1, 4, 9, 16, 25
  • 1, 8, 27, 64, 125
  • 1, 16, 91, 256, 625
Would you say that 16 is about equal to 2 and about equal to 1? You might, but smart people wouldn't because they'd look to the value those rankings encapsulate rather than the raw rankings themselves.

You've already gone so far as to say Duke had the #2 recruiting class in 2011, so why not just say that Duke got Austin Rivers (5*, top 5 consensus) and four 4* players (none ranked higher than 28)? Is that much different than UK's class with four 5*s, including top 10 guys AD, MKG, and Teague? Yes. Yes it is. 2018 was similar but reversed: Duke had 3 top 5 guys among their 5 commitments (four 5*s); UK feasted on guys ranked 9-22. Those are meaningfully different, and much more than your shallow "analysis" would suggest. And it's not exactly controversial to say that AD/MKG/Teague/Wiltjer >> Austin "My Dad Promised Me $40m" Rivers and crew, or that Zion/RJ/Reddish/Jones >> EJ/Hagans/KJ/IQ, Duke's 2019 NCAA Tournament struggles notwithstanding (really Duke disappointed more last year with a loaded frontcourt and Grayson than this year w/out upperclassmen shooting/support; AD's team needed Lamb).

It's not really smart to argue that placement in a series is the determining factor in the delta between placements. For example, take the following series of numbers:
  • 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
  • 1, 4, 9, 16, 25
  • 1, 8, 27, 64, 125
  • 1, 16, 91, 256, 625
Would you say that 16 is about equal to 2 and about equal to 1? You might, but smart people wouldn't because they'd look to the value those rankings encapsulate rather than the raw rankings themselves.

You've already gone so far as to say Duke had the #2 recruiting class in 2011, so why not just say that Duke got Austin Rivers (5*, top 5 consensus) and four 4* players (none ranked higher than 28)? Is that much different than UK's class with four 5*s, including top 10 guys AD, MKG, and Teague? Yes. Yes it is. 2018 was similar but reversed: Duke had 3 top 5 guys among their 5 commitments (four 5*s); UK feasted on guys ranked 9-22. Those are meaningfully different, and much more than your shallow "analysis" would suggest. And it's not exactly controversial to say that AD/MKG/Teague/Wiltjer >> Austin "My Dad Promised Me $40m" Rivers and crew, or that Zion/RJ/Reddish/Jones >> EJ/Hagans/KJ/IQ, Duke's 2019 NCAA Tournament struggles notwithstanding (really Duke disappointed more last year with a loaded frontcourt and Grayson than this year w/out upperclassmen shooting/support; AD's team needed Lamb).

My point was that Austin Rivers was still OAD. Just because Duke didn't have the #1 class, doesn't mean they didn't embrace the OAD then. The only difference now is that they recruit more of them. They had early success with OAD talent and now they can get more.

That's how the revolving door at Uk started, except now you have guys leaving who shouldn't be, but if they don't, they will never see the floor in college. Guys like Jemarl Baker, who would be a solid 4 year player if developed properly, would excel UK just like Hawkins and Willis did. However, Cal recruits over those 4 year players so they end up transferring out or going overseas (Green, SKJ, Baker, Matthews, Gabriel, Humphries, etc.).

My point was that Austin Rivers was still OAD. Just because Duke didn't have the #1 class, doesn't mean they didn't embrace the OAD then. The only difference now is that they recruit more of them. They had early success with OAD talent and now they can get more.

That's how the revolving door at Uk started, except now you have guys leaving who shouldn't be, but if they don't, they will never see the floor in college. Guys like Jemarl Baker, who would be a solid 4 year player if developed properly, would excel UK just like Hawkins and Willis did. However, Cal recruits over those 4 year players so they end up transferring out or going overseas (Green, SKJ, Baker, Matthews, Gabriel, Humphries, etc.).

Gabriel went to the NBA, moron.

Reactions: oldsports_

Baker is going to transfer back to be closer to home. He played half a season in 2 years due to injuries. Can't blame Cal for that. Green was midget who sucked. SKJ is apparently stupid and Gabriel and Humphries are playing professional basketball (Hump is in the NBA). Matthews is the only real one on that list and he left after his freshman year where we had Ulis and Murray at the guard spots. You know this though but are arguing just to argue.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
Are you still bitching about getting a stupid easy bracket and still not making it out of it? Michigan State was missing like 3 players. You had two of the top players in the country. That's a terrible loss.

Wait are you serious? Playing VT in the Sweet 16 in DC with Justin Robinson is easy?

Who cares who that Michigan State team was missing, they won the Big 10 Regular Season and Tournament without Langford so they proved they were a top 5 team on the court. Basketball's a team sport, having RJ and Zion doesn't make up for the fact that the rest of our team is mediocre

No one's ragging on 2017 UK, that team was a title contender that lost to the eventual champ UNC.

Duke was a 4 seed in 2016 when it lost to Oregon in the Sweet 16 so it performed to seed but hey don't let facts get in your way.

Duke in 2018 lost to the 1 seed KU while we were a 2 in the Elite 8 so we performed to seed there as well.

UVA played down to Auburn but that doesn't excuse UK not being able to outrebound them and exert their will on Auburn without Okeke.

I'm not whining, we were the lower seed and we almost won, tough loss for us and good win for KU. I'm not exactly ashamed about losing to KU in the Elite 8.

I'd be ashamed to lose to KState and Auburn without their best players though.

So how many McDaa's were left after one was injured.

Making excuses instead of owing up to it, but talking shyt about Duke.
You sound more and more like a UNC fan with each post.

NIT with how many McDaa's.
3 were left. And jarrod Polson got significant playing time.

You're an idiot.

But yet here you are talking trash to Duke about first round upsets when you didn't even make the damn tourney in 2013.

And the second round exit against IU. What excuses are we using for that one.
In 2007 duke was 22-10 after the conference tournaments and 8-8 in the acc and got a ****ing 6 seed.

In 2013 UK was 21-11 after the conference tournaments and finished 12-6 in the SEC (2nd best conference record) and went to the NIT.

We could all be so lucky as to get our d***s sucked by the selection committee like duke does.

ADVERTISEMENT