ADVERTISEMENT

Sleeper Final Four Picks?

Not to sound like too much of a homer but I think this is a make or break year for Shaka Smart.

Especially if Billy Donovan is fired by OKC.

With that I think this is the first year Shaka has his type of team

Senior Leadership in the backcourt.
Maybe 6 guards that can play if the freshman and the transfer are any good.
It all depends on the development of one Jericho Sims.
At 6'9 he has the athleticism and rim protecting ability to allow Smart to use quicker guard oriented lineups.

The X Factors will be Liddell and Hepa.
Two Top 60 recruits.

My non homer pick is Nevada
I actually think Nevada will end up in the Top 5 and has a chance at a #1 seed

Reactions: Kronic22 and KisteK
Not to sound like too much of a homer but I think this is a make or break year for Shaka Smart.

Especially if Billy Donovan is fired by OKC.

With that I think this is the first year Shaka has his type of team

Senior Leadership in the backcourt.
Maybe 6 guards that can play if the freshman and the transfer are any good.
It all depends on the development of one Jericho Sims.
At 6'9 he has the athleticism and rim protecting ability to allow Smart to use quicker guard oriented lineups.

The X Factors will be Liddell and Hepa.
Two Top 60 recruits.

My non homer pick is Nevada
I actually think Nevada will end up in the Top 5 and has a chance at a #1 seed
I would love for Billy Donovan to become the next coach at Texas. Haven’t thought about that before. He would do really well there.

I would love for Billy Donovan to become the next coach at Texas. Haven’t thought about that before. He would do really well there.

That comes down to what Billy Donovan wants.
Maybe he wants to coach at a basketball school again.
UCLA?

I think the Texas job would interested anyone because you can being in a Top 10 class every year.

Still I think this is the year Smart can get at least into the Sweet 16.

They have lineups to play small ball and to go big.

Bigs
Sims- Has started
Ostenkowski Started last year
Hamm- Has played some minutes
Hepa- Highly touted recruit
Hayes- 7'0 freshman

Guards
Roach- Senior Starter
Jones Senior Starter
Coleman Started last year
Long- Transfer from St. Marys
Febres Has started
Liddell 6'6 freshman. Highly touted
Ramey Freshman PG that you can't keep off the floor

Only thing that could be a minus is plus size and shooting.
Roach's shot is improving and the transfer Long is am excellent shooter.

They are for sure a team that can put 10 on the floor

Last edited:
Reactions: schoonerwest
That comes down to what Billy Donovan wants.
Maybe he wants to coach at a basketball school again.
UCLA?

I think the Texas job would interested anyone because you can being in a Top 10 class every year.

Still I think this is the year Smart can get at least into the Sweet 16.

They have lineups to play small ball and to go big.

Bigs
Sims- Has started
Ostenkowski Started last year
Hamm- Has played some minutes
Hepa- Highly touted recruit
Hayes- 7'0 freshman

Guards
Roach- Senior Starter
Jones Senior Starter
Coleman Started last year
Long- Transfer from St. Marys
Febres Has started
Liddell 6'6 freshman. Highly touted
Ramey Freshman PG that you can't keep off the floor

Only thing that could be a minus is plus size and shooting.
Roach's shot is improving and the transfer Long is am excellent shooter.

They are for sure a team that can put 10 on the floor

Is Andrew Jones going to play this season? Any idea if he's anywhere close to where he was a year ago? I wish him well in his recovery. Seems like a good kid.

Is Andrew Jones going to play this season? Any idea if he's anywhere close to where he was a year ago? I wish him well in his recovery. Seems like a good kid.

He is currently enrolled in class and from what I have heard he should be ready to play.
When is he at full strength I have no idea but it should be by Big XII play for sure.

Even with all that I think Kerwin Roach and his development is the real key.
You already know with Jones what he provides but I think with Roach his ceiling can be even higher.

Reactions: dukedevilz
BlushingSpicyAustrianpinscher-max-1mb.gif

I doubt the biggest homer on either Illininboard or Orange and Blue could say that with anything approaching a straight face...

So they are the same level sleeper as Loyola last preseason, in your opinion? Ok, got it.

I love my UNC TAR HEELS

!!!!!!!!!!!! GO TAR HEELS !!!!!!!!!!!!

New Mexico Lobos. Roster is loaded 4 and 5 stars. Carlton Braggs and JaQuan Lyle are just two

So they are the same level sleeper as Loyola last preseason, in your opinion? Ok, got it.
Dude they are nowhere near as good as Loyola was, last year. Illinois lost Black and SMith. They'll be relying on Frazier and Nichols. They'll be fortunate to make the NCAAT. Much less get to the Final Four.

Dude they are nowhere near as good as Loyola was, last year. Illinois lost Black and SMith. They'll be relying on Frazier and Nichols. They'll be fortunate to make the NCAAT. Much less get to the Final Four.

Two years ago Loyola finished 97th in KenPom. They came in last season and made a final four run as an 11 seed. They were a major, MAJOR final four sleeper.

Illinois finished 102nd in KenPom this season. Returns Trent Frazier, who is awesome. Kipper Nichols, whose per 40 numbers are close to Keita Bates Diop's numbers this past season, and adds a couple of big time guards in Ayo and Feliz.

This thread is about final four sleepers - Im not looking to pick one of the 15-20 most likely teams to make a run and call them a sleeper. I found a legit sleeper - Illinois.

Two years ago Loyola finished 97th in KenPom. They came in last season and made a final four run as an 11 seed. They were a major, MAJOR final four sleeper.

Illinois finished 102nd in KenPom this season. Returns Trent Frazier, who is awesome. Kipper Nichols, whose per 40 numbers are close to Keita Bates Diop's numbers this past season, and adds a couple of big time guards in Ayo and Feliz.

This thread is about final four sleepers - Im not looking to pick one of the 15-20 most likely teams to make a run and call them a sleeper. I found a legit sleeper - Illinois.
Ok. You lost me at the Nichols/Diop, "comparison" to start. Also, you fail to mention that Loyola returned 4 starters off that team that finished 97th in KenPom. MOF, they lost only one guy of importance off that team; Milton Doyle. In other words, they returned a pretty good core, and added a pretty good freshman in Krutwig. Illinois doesn't fit that mold. They return Frazier and Nichols. And thats about it. Lost Black, Finke and Smith. Ayo is really good. But Feliz? Anyways....You are right. Illinois certainly fits the criteria of a "sleeper". That is for sure.

Ok. You lost me at the Nichols/Diop, "comparison" to start. Also, you fail to mention that Loyola returned 4 starters off that team that finished 97th in KenPom. MOF, they lost only one guy of importance off that team; Milton Doyle. In other words, they returned a pretty good core, and added a pretty good freshman in Krutwig. Illinois doesn't fit that mold. They return Frazier and Nichols. And thats about it. Lost Black, Finke and Smith. Ayo is really good. But Feliz? Anyways....You are right. Illinois certainly fits the criteria of a "sleeper". That is for sure.

If the thread is titled "Final Four SLEEPERS" a year after Loyola was the ultimate sleeper, why are you harassing me for giving an actual sleeper instead of giving a BS answer like UNC(who everyone knows is not a sleeper)?

If the thread is titled "Final Four SLEEPERS" a year after Loyola was the ultimate sleeper, why are you harassing me for giving an actual sleeper instead of giving a BS answer like UNC(who everyone knows is not a sleeper)?
Because Illinois lost a ton. Didn't replace it with much. And Black was by far their best player. Sure they fit the bill as "sleeper". Doesn't mean its a logical choice. Especially given their roster, and what they lost. Its how you roll, though. I mean you have a ton of basketball knowledge, but for some reason you make these outlandish predictions: Illinois better than MSU...Langford won't be one of the Top 5 freshman in the BIG. So on and so on. But hey, like you said---thread title does say, "Final FOur sleepers". And well, Illinois sure fits the bill.

BTW---Didn't see the UNC pick.

Reactions: Mgkcbb
Because Illinois lost a ton. Didn't replace it with much. And Black was by far their best player. Sure they fit the bill as "sleeper". Doesn't mean its a logical choice. Especially given their roster, and what they lost. Its how you roll, though. I mean you have a ton of basketball knowledge, but for some reason you make these outlandish predictions: Illinois better than MSU...Langford won't be one of the Top 5 freshman in the BIG. So on and so on. But hey, like you said---thread title does say, "Final FOur sleepers". And well, Illinois sure fits the bill.

BTW---Didn't see the UNC pick.

Ok, so deal. My sleeper is Illinois. Lets revisit this in 8 months.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Totally unbiased and with deep consideration, I would have to say if someone asked me and someone did, the Tennessee Vols.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Totally unbiased and with deep consideration, I would have to say if someone asked me and someone did, the Tennessee Vols.
Della, if Tennessee makes the FF, I don't think many would be surprised. You guys should be really, really good. Especially if you can score the ball.

We have never been to the final 4, so that makes us a sleeper.
No...That just means you've never been to a FF...Winking I love the Vols, though. Use to live in Gadsen....Culleoka as well. Still have family in Trenton.

Reactions: GhostVol
Nevermind Borden. I must have a different definition of sleeper. In that case, my sleeper is Kentucky. I think they could surprise some people and make the final four.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Culleoka. You must be familiar with Columbia and Lewisburg too. Kudos!
Yes. I loved that area. We lived in an old, old farm house. Drive way was about 3/4 of a mile long...Natural spring water. My dads parents owned the farm.
We moved to Gadsend; which I also loved. Actually lived in a small town called Bells. I loved living in Tennessee.

Nevermind Borden. I must have a different definition of sleeper. In that case, my sleeper is Kentucky. I think they could surprise some people and make the final four.
Again----OK? Tennessee to me is NOT a sleeper. They are a preseason Top 10 team. Return everyone. To me, thats not a sleeper. A sleeper to me could be an Indiana. A team thats a fringe Top 25. Coming off a meh season. Return a lot. Nice class coming in, led by an elite, Top 5'ish recruit.

I agree that you can't be a sleeper if you're a preseason top 10 team like Tennessee. Same should apply to Nevada.

Indiana would qualify as a sleeper. Illinois would qualify as a troll pick. Same level as picking DePaul as a sleeper.

Reactions: jace46555
ADVERTISEMENT