ADVERTISEMENT

Should Purdue fire Matt Painter?

thebasketballreasons

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2013
Losing to 16 seed was a huge embarrassment, FDU wasn’t even as good as UMBC. I believe this was the biggest upset of the tournament so far, Purdue was favored by 22pts if I recall correctly. But there are much more to it, adding North Texas and St Peter’s to the list, it’s been the 3rd straight year that Purdue was eliminated by double digit seeded teams in March. It’s not like this is an outliner or anything, Matt Painter’s choke jobs have been consistent.

So do you think Purdue should let him go and look for someone else? Yeah UVA won the next year after losing to 16 seed but let’s not pretend the same will happen to Purdue. If anything, choke artists rarely change or improve, it’s naive to expect Painter to magically get better over the next few years.

Fvck no. And the fans who say that are overly emotional dipshits. Prior to this year, only Gonzaga and Michigan (each with 5) had been to more S16’s than Purdue in the previous 5 tournaments (4).

Sometimes shots don’t go in for you and they do for your opponent. It’s basketball being played by 18-24 year olds.

Fvck no. And the fans who say that are overly emotional dipshits. Prior to this year, only Gonzaga and Michigan (each with 5) had been to more S16’s than Purdue in the previous 5 tournaments (4).

Sometimes shots don’t go in for you and they do for your opponent. It’s basketball being played by 18-24 year olds.
How many loses to double digit seeds in the last 5 years ? Congrats on the underperforming sweet 16’s though

How many loses to double digit seeds in the last 5 years ? Congrats on the underperforming sweet 16’s though
3. Not good.

only 1 of the S16 teams underperformed and thats because they were allergic to playing defense.

Actually, all we know from past history is that UVA beats Texas Tech in the NC the year after a 16 beats a 1. Look for that history to continue next season. Congrats UVA on being 2024 national champs!!!
Just a reminder I had UVA beating Tech back in 2019 😎.

Although I thought Vermont would cover yesterday 😛

Reactions: jhmossy
To answer the question, you can't fire him now. You have to give him one more shot to redeem himself like UVA did. If he doesn't, then maybe you consider it. Not sure Purdue is gonna find a better coach though. It is crazy how one single title for a school like UVA or Purdue can get rid of the bad taste that a lot of other early flameouts leave in your mouth.

Look, I'm not fan of Purdue by any means but no way in hell you fire Painter. He's recruiting well and has a very established system. So he hasn't seen that translate to success in the tournament, but I'd venture to say that's coming at some point. Hard to argue with his results over the last ten plus years outside of more success in the tourney.

No, but this is still pretty sad.

A8-A85048-629-D-4919-965-E-A5-DEFE906-E40.jpg

Painter is basically doing at Purdue what keady did as well there. Play really well in big ten play. Routinely choke in postseason play. They have the most big ten titles of all time. Yet have the same amount of final 4’s as Auburn.

Painter is basically doing at Purdue what keady did as well there. Play really well in big ten play. Routinely choke in postseason play. They have the most big ten titles of all time. Yet have the same amount of final 4’s as Auburn.
Purdue does well in the regular season because they have a system to maximize the slightly above average talent they get. That will win you a lot of games but make you susceptible in a one and done environment. Until he can get more better than mediocre players to surround his diamonds in the rough, this will continue to happen.

I think he had it with Carsen/Biggie playing alongside Haas, Mathias, Edwards and PJT but that team got bitchslapped by Kansas in the tourney and then Biggie left early. The next year, Haas broke his elbow and we lost to Texas Tech (although no one was beating Nova that year IMO).

Purdue does well in the regular season because they have a system to maximize the slightly above average talent they get. That will win you a lot of games but make you susceptible in a one and done environment. Until he can get more better than mediocre players to surround his diamonds in the rough, this will continue to happen.

I think he had it with Carsen/Biggie playing alongside Haas, Mathias, Edwards and PJT but that team got bitchslapped by Kansas in the tourney and then Biggie left early. The next year, Haas broke his elbow and we lost to Texas Tech (although no one was beating Nova that year IMO).
That team with Haas would have choked as well. That I am 100% sure of.

To answer the question, you can't fire him now. You have to give him one more shot to redeem himself like UVA did. If he doesn't, then maybe you consider it. Not sure Purdue is gonna find a better coach though. It is crazy how one single title for a school like UVA or Purdue can get rid of the bad taste that a lot of other early flameouts leave in your mouth.

In terms of Strength of Schedule? FDU's schedule was ranked dead last. 363/363.

FDU is not just the shortest team in the field, but in all of Division 1....with an average player height of just over 6'1".

FDU only got into the tournament because Merrimack, who won the NEC Tournament, was ineligible for the NCAA Tournament as they are in the transition stage from Division II.

FDU won only four games last season.

In the regular season, FDU has lost to:

SIU-Edwardsville

Hartford (Who recently announced they are going to transition down do Division III.)

Queens University (2022-23 represents their first year in Division I basketball)

Stonehill (Also in their first year of Division I)

This is the program Matt Painter lost to in the worst coaching job I have ever witnessed in an NCAA Tournament.

In terms of Strength of Schedule? FDU's schedule was ranked dead last. 363/363.

FDU is not just the shortest team in the field, but in all of Division 1....with an average player height of just over 6'1".

FDU only got into the tournament because Merrimack, who won the NEC Tournament, was ineligible for the NCAA Tournament as they are in the transition stage from Division II.

FDU won only four games last season.

In the regular season, FDU has lost to:

SIU-Edwardsville

Hartford (Who recently announced they are going to transition down do Division III.)

Queens University (2022-23 represents their first year in Division I basketball)

Stonehill (Also in their first year of Division I)

This is the program Matt Painter lost to in the worst coaching job I have ever witnessed in an NCAA Tournament.
Meh, Painter wasn't perfect but at some point, players have to hit wide open shots when the other team challenges them to.

Reactions: snowsquirrel11
I don't think it's necessarily a Matt Painter issue in the tournament but more of a coming from the Big Ten issue. Not that the B1G is a bad conference, just that they get used to the rather unremarkable play styles they face during the season, and get stunned by teams they don't match up well against and aren't used to planning against. Not to say my post has any merit to it either, considering what I said could be said about any other conference, but it seems to happen more often for B1G teams for whatever reason.

I agreed. Every team is built to win/beat their opponents in their conference. So unfavorable mismatch happens in the dance, but the giant Purdue team had no business losing to the midget team in FDU.

I agreed. Every team is built to win/beat their opponents in their conference. So unfavorable mismatch happens in the dance, but the giant Purdue team had no business losing to the midget team in FDU.
This giant team had 9 games this year where they shot 22% or worse from three, including their last 4 losses. Looking at the last 13 games of the season, Purdue shot better than 33% from three 5 times. They won all 5 by an average of 16 points per game. In the 8 other games, they went 3-5 with the four wins by 2, 5 and 2 points.

If you can't hit threes, you are very easy to defend, even by small teams.

And while having a dominant traditional big like Edey is great when you have good balance, it makes you very susceptible to 5 out offenses, particularly those starting 2 fifth year seniors at guard.

I'm unfortunately not remotely surprised we lost. I thought we'd win but was nervous as hell for the reasons above.

Reactions: snowsquirrel11
This giant team had 9 games this year where they shot 22% or worse from three, including their last 4 losses. Looking at the last 13 games of the season, Purdue shot better than 33% from three 5 times. They won all 5 by an average of 16 points per game. In the 8 other games, they went 3-5 with the four wins by 2, 5 and 2 points.

If you can't hit threes, you are very easy to defend, even by small teams.

And while having a dominant traditional big like Edey is great when you have good balance, it makes you very susceptible to 5 out offenses, particularly those starting 2 fifth year seniors at guard.

I'm unfortunately not remotely surprised we lost. I thought we'd win but was nervous as hell for the reasons above.
why depending on the 3s when you have a dominant big man in the paint? Edey is at least a foot taller than any FDU player on the floor. I would feed him the ball every time as he had several dunks in the FDU game.

Bad coaching imo.

why depending on the 3s when you have a dominant big man in the paint? Edey is at least a foot taller than any FDU player on the floor. I would feed him the ball every time as he had several dunks in the FDU game.

Bad coaching imo.
Dude was triple teamed many times.

Look, I'm not fan of Purdue by any means but no way in hell you fire Painter. He's recruiting well and has a very established system. So he hasn't seen that translate to success in the tournament, but I'd venture to say that's coming at some point. Hard to argue with his results over the last ten plus years outside of more success in the tourney.
There’s no telling if tournament success is coming at some point, the 2019 UVA magic doesnt happen to everyone.

Reactions: texanhoosier1982
There’s no telling if tournament success is coming at some point, the 2019 UVA magic doesnt happen to everyone.
Of course there’s not. But the question every athletic Director should ask is whether he can find a replacement that is better than the guy he is considering firing. I think those odds are long for Purdue.

Of course there’s not. But the question every athletic Director should ask is whether he can find a replacement that is better than the guy he is considering firing. I think those odds are long for Purdue.
You make a point, but you have failed to realize the impact of this humiliating loss on Purdue’s reputation. If I were a high school recruit, a college player looking to transfer or an aspiring assistant coach interested in Purdue, I’d reconsider my options after this embarrassment and hesitate if I’d want anything to do with this mess. Firing Matt Painter may be a necessary step to take to instill confidence back into the program.

You make a point, but you have failed to realize the impact of this humiliating loss on Purdue’s reputation. If I were a high school recruit, a college player looking to transfer or an aspiring assistant coach interested in Purdue, I’d reconsider my options after this embarrassment and hesitate if I’d want anything to do with this mess. Firing Matt Painter may be a necessary step to take to instill confidence back into the program.
I think you gave high school players way too much credit. Oh, and here was the recruiting rank for Purdue’s starters this year:

198 Braden Smith
96 Fletcher Loyer
124 Brandon Newman
217 Mason Gillis
436 Zach Edey

You really think it will fall off from that?

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Losing to Nova wouldn't have been choking. That team was ridiculously good.
it doesn't matter how talented our team is. Our coach is still Matt Painter. He can't get it done in March. This team was ridiculously good too. JJ & Etwauns senior season was ridiculously good too. The team with Biggie and Hamons was ridiculously good too. All disappointing losses.

Reactions: PurdueGirl85
I think you gave high school players way too much credit. Oh, and here was the recruiting rank for Purdue’s starters this year:

198 Braden Smith
96 Fletcher Loyer
124 Brandon Newman
217 Mason Gillis
436 Zach Edey

You really think it will fall off from that?
i see how you conveniently left out 2 top 50 forwards.

it doesn't matter how talented our team is. Our coach is still Matt Painter. He can't get it done in March. This team was ridiculously good too. JJ & Etwauns senior season was ridiculously good too. The team with Biggie and Hamons was ridiculously good too. All disappointing losses.
Sure Jan

ADVERTISEMENT