ADVERTISEMENT

Really IU, that's the best you can do???

Matta isn’t an assistant. He’s an Associate AD.
In which he will help the staff. His job title is Associate AD for mens basketball.....And its not a countable position....Which means IU can still hire three assitants. NO hes not a hired, normal assitant coach....But his job is to hep the staff.

Lovie had all the support he needed to get the program going. When given the opportunity to hire a DC for his failing defense, he hired.. himself. When given the opportunity to hire a LB coach, he hired.. his no-experience son. That doesn't even scratch the surface. He completely abandoned aspects of his job, and he completely abandoned recruiting Illinois.

You're not going to find an Illini fan that doesn't think highly of his character. We wanted the man to succeed. He just wasn't a college football coach, and he wasn't motivated to adapt to college football. Lovie has no one to blame for his failure but himself.

Guy been coaching football for about 35 years.
One of the best defensive minds in the game.

He tried there. But couldn't develop players those first two years.
Lovie didn't know his limitations or didn't bring in the people to correct them.

He can coach...But they didn't have the players.
His fault.

I wouldn't act like he can't coach...

I am going to say this story because it could be important to Indiana.

Lovie Smith played at Tulsa for John Cooper. When he was there Tulsa put out some players.

Cooper moved to Arizona State and then Ohio State...
Believe Lovie went to Ohio State with him

John Cooper pissed some people off at Ohio State because he told them they had some players there who wouldn't start on his Tulsa teams

But the others he didn't pissed off recognized this...

Name doesn't mean as much as actual talent on the roster....

John Cooper improved the talent at Ohio State....

That is what Indiana needs right now more than anything.

Problem with Indiana is they haven't had the players to win like how they want.

In which he will help the staff. His job title is Associate AD for mens basketball.....And its not a countable position....Which means IU can still hire three assitants. NO hes not a hired, normal assitant coach....But his job is to hep the staff.

Matta is awesome but there's a reason he hasn't been in the business for a while. If you're holding out hope that changes it, well...

Who knows, maybe this will work like Howard has at Michigan. But Woodson is older and was awful in the NBA. This screams a panic hire after everyone else turned them down.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
Matta is awesome but there's a reason he hasn't been in the business for a while. If you're holding out hope that changes it, well...

Who knows, maybe this will work like Howard has at Michigan. But Woodson is older and was awful in the NBA. This screams a panic hire after everyone else turned them down.
Yeah, its called his back....

Woodson wasn't awful in the NBA. First season with Atlanta only won 13 games....then won 26...then 30, 37, 47 and 53....Went to playoffs his last 3 seasons with Atlanta. Went 109-79 with the Knicks. Won 54 games his 2nd season. Playoffs 2 of his three years. Thats not awful.

I feel it was a desperation hire...BUT, according to some, he was very high on the list. I dunno.

Time will tell.

Reactions: HoosierAlice
I get you....I honestly don't know what to think yet about the hire. But, what's the track record of assistant coaches who got their 1st head coaching job at a blue blood school? (I know Fife was a hc, but he was so young, and at such a small school)

Point being, wtf knows either way about how it will turn out? Hell, i fully expected to be laughing by now at Michigan for the Howard hiring . But, if we're strictly looking at both individual resumes, and past track records of other schools in a similar situation....I'll still take the NBA coach every time!

^ Thought Beilein was overrated at Michigan (ie. not a top 10 coach) but is okay with the Indiana hire.

I can’t hold his HC record in the nba against him. We all know it’s all about the players in the nba, the haves and the have nots. And the knicks nor atl has much of anything while he was there as far as star power, and he still made the playoffs a few times.

thibk of the multiple HOF college coaches who have tried their hand at the nba and flopped, pitino and cal off the top of my head.

He should have numerous connections, and should be able to develop talent, he should be and adequate x and Os guy. The question will be recruiting imo and keeping the kids motivated that don’t get a game check every night like nba players.

I'm hearing he was a top target, along with the obvious....That with Stevens, Beard out---IU was wanting a guy with IU connects....I dunno. If that is true, why not hire Dane Fife? He's 38. Asst under Izzo for 10 years. Experience with recruiting, and the college game.

Hope I am wrong. But I think this is gonna be shit.
This is way better than Dane Fife, Porter Moser, or Steve Alford. I’m still not sure how is tenure will go but if we hired any of those 3 I would be very confident we would see a repeat of the last 4 years, if not worse.

If you go to the Knicks subreddit, they are for the most part verysad to see him go and think he was a big part of their 54-28 team in 2012-13. Lots of players have come out and commented saying they loved Mike Woodson as their coach.

Also, recruiting will not be an issue, even without Matta. Woodson has a lot of street Cree and inside connections with the NBA. That is huge for recruits. And it’s not like he never recruited before. NBA FA is similar to college recruiting in some ways.

This is way better than Dane Fife, Porter Moser, or Steve Alford. I’m still not sure how is tenure will go but if we hired any of those 3 I would be very confident we would see a repeat of the last 4 years, if not worse.

If you go to the Knicks subreddit, they are for the most part verysad to see him go and think he was a big part of their 54-28 team in 2012-13. Lots of players have come out and commented saying they loved Mike Woodson as their coach.

Also, recruiting will not be an issue, even without Matta. Woodson has a lot of street Cree and inside connections with the NBA. That is huge for recruits. And it’s not like he never recruited before. NBA FA is similar to college recruiting in some ways.

Comparing recruiting college kids (which he’s never done) to NBA free agents is odd. Not too many similarities.

Matta can flat out recruit. That hire is a huge plus.
I imagine the only things Matta will be doing is coordinating and facilitating introductions. I'd say it's less than ideal for IU.

^ Thought Beilein was overrated at Michigan (ie. not a top 10 coach) but is okay with the Indiana hire.
Please show me where I ever said Beilein was an overrated coach??? Lol man you're really are stuck on your opinion that he was a top 10 coach...aren't you? Lol it's not like I said he was a trash coach. I said he was imo somewhere in the 10 to 20 range.

Besides, if we're only judging him on his accomplishments at the time of this conversation...I still think I was right. If we include his final 2 seasons at Michigan then he does move into the top 10 for me. But, when our conversation happened, the final season hadn't happened at all yet, and he was in the middle of his 2nd to last season. So, can't use those 2 seasons to help your argument.

But, a coach that up to that moment...he had multiple seasons where his teams underperformed for most of the year...isn't a top 10 coach. I said it over and over that this was the only reason I didn't think he was a top 10 coach. But, his final seasons while at Michigan, it looked like he had figured out a way to prevent this from happening. So, that's why I thought he had moved into the top 10.

Unreal......I'll watch. But the interest is gone. Mike was a great player. But dude is 63, and a career NBA assitant; HC once for the Hawks. Has never recruited a single kid....No college experience at all. He is 63.

Jesus ****in' Christ.
Remember when you guys hired Sampson over Beiline, so Michigan got him. You guys couldn’t wait for success, John would take to long. I personally think it’s been Indiana’s biggest misstep ever! JB dreamed of coaching Indiana, he’s old school like that. Now Indiana tries to copy us, but just like every other NBA coach with no college experience, he’ll fail! He’s not the exception

• Haha
Remember when you guys hired Sampson over Beiline, so Michigan got him. You guys couldn’t wait for success, John would take to long. I personally think it’s been Indiana’s biggest misstep ever! JB dreamed of coaching Indiana, he’s old school like that. Now Indiana tries to copy us, but just like every other NBA coach with no college experience, he’ll fail! He’s not the exception

Yeah that's not how it went down. IU President at the time was good friends with Sampson and Beilein had a high buyout at West Virginia. IU went with Sampson and a year later Beileins buyout dropped and Michigan ponied up the cash.

Please show me where I ever said Beilein was an overrated coach??? Lol man you're really are stuck on your opinion that he was a top 10 coach...aren't you? Lol it's not like I said he was a trash coach. I said he was imo somewhere in the 10 to 20 range.

Besides, if we're only judging him on his accomplishments at the time of this conversation...I still think I was right. If we include his final 2 seasons at Michigan then he does move into the top 10 for me. But, when our conversation happened, the final season hadn't happened at all yet, and he was in the middle of his 2nd to last season. So, can't use those 2 seasons to help your argument.

But, a coach that up to that moment...he had multiple seasons where his teams underperformed for most of the year...isn't a top 10 coach. I said it over and over that this was the only reason I didn't think he was a top 10 coach. But, his final seasons while at Michigan, it looked like he had figured out a way to prevent this from happening. So, that's why I thought he had moved into the top 10.

1. You had him outside the top 10 of active coaches, despite the article I shared having him in the top 10. That means you think he was rated too high.

2. The argument took place in July of 2018 so it was after the national championship game runner up in 2018.

Last edited:
Crean is laughing his ass off as well....He and Miller are like---

giphy.gif
At least Crean was making the tournament and had a #1 team at one point. Still not sure why you guys dumped him at the point you did...

At least Crean was making the tournament and had a #1 team at one point. Still not sure why you guys dumped him at the point you did...
Beccuase his last 4 seasons were not that good, and it was a trend....Not to mention the ties he had severed with Indiana high school coaches...There's a reason Yogi was the last legit Indiana kid Crean got.

Firing Crean was the right thing to do....

IU and the powers to be, wanted a minority hire. It was pretty much that simple. And lets be honest here----Sampson wasn't a bad hire at all, from a coaching standpoint---Dude can coach. Had he kept his shit clean, and ran the program, this conversation would be much, much different.

ADVERTISEMENT