ADVERTISEMENT

Re-ranking the blue bloods after 2022 season

Funny you say that. I asked @dukedevilz a couple of months ago if he could do his analysis for that timeframe. He said he would get to it when he had time.

Yep. I'm going to do that sometime soon. I can't use any of my prior data, since I don't have the specific years listed on my current table for when teams won a conference ship or advanced to the Elite 8, etc. So I'll be starting from scratch, and that will take me some time in putting it all together. But, should be done before the end of the summer.

There also might be a better, more forgiving cutoff. I know ‘85 was the first one with 64 teams, but weren’t there like 60 or something in ‘84? A “since 1980” (or whatever other arbitrary cutoff someone comes up with) would work, too … pretty much just post-only-conference-champions-make-it FOR SURE.

Ultimately, yes, it will be an arbitrary cutoff wherever you decide to put it. There were 48 teams from 1980-1982. 52-53 teams in 83 and 84.

You could also argue 1975 might be a good time to include as the start of the modern era as that's when at-large bids were first allowed. And 1972-73 is when we first saw freshmen.

The biggest change in the modern era IMO came during the 86-87 season when the 3-point line was universally adopted. That has completely revolutionized the game.

1979 is when seeds were first introduced to the tournament

In the early 1980's all 4 seeds and higher (top 16 schools) got a bye into the Round of 32.

1979 is when seeds were first introduced to the tournament

In the early 1980's all 4 seeds and higher (top 16 schools) got a bye into the Round of 32.
I always use '85 because that seems to be the most commonly accepted year. What do you think your cutoff will be?

I always use '85 because that seems to be the most commonly accepted year. What do you think your cutoff will be?

Probably either 1980 or 1985. I might lean towards '85, but I could see a legitimate argument for 1980

In 1980 there was a mass exodus of independents joining conferences. In 1975, there were 16 at-large bids - and 9 of them went to independents. By 1980, only 3 of the 23 at-large bids went to independents. Total number of independents dropped from 68 in 1979, to 21 in 1980. The field expanded to 48 teams in 1980, meaning 3/4 of the schools had to win 6 games to win it all (ala NC State in 83). Also, it was only the second year where seeds were in the tournament.

I will conduct a poll and whoever has the most votes, that's what year I'll use when as the start date when calculating the greatest teams of the modern era.

Probably either 1980 or 1985. I might lean towards '85, but I could see a legitimate argument for 1980

In 1980 there was a mass exodus of independents joining conferences. In 1975, there were 16 at-large bids - and 9 of them went to independents. By 1980, only 3 of the 23 at-large bids went to independents. Total number of independents dropped from 68 in 1979, to 21 in 1980. The field expanded to 48 teams in 1980, meaning 3/4 of the schools had to win 6 games to win it all (ala NC State in 83). Also, it was only the second year where seeds were in the tournament.

I will conduct a poll and whoever has the most votes, that's what year I'll use when as the start date when calculating the greatest teams of the modern era.
I might vote for 1980 since it's Purdue's last Final Four. #DeepSigh

ADVERTISEMENT