ADVERTISEMENT

Rank your past coaches.

1.) Bob Knight - He could take some lowly recruits and beat Bill Self's teams with McDonald All Americans.
2.) Gerald Myers - Most wins of any Tech Basketball coach. Won a couple conference titles.
3.) Tubby Smith - Help get the program back after the debacle that was the Billy Gillispie experience. To get us back to the NCAA Tournament was a great coaching job. Without him we are probably not where we are today.
4.) James Dickey - Good recruiter but not the most ethical fellow.
5.) Pat Knight - Nice guy but not the coach his dad was.
6.) Chris Walker - Better than Gillispie despite being a interim coach after Gillispie.
7.) Billy Gillispie - Should have stayed at A&M and they would have built a statue of him. Instead of going to Kentucy and we should have never hired him.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
response to this:

Cheat
2. Cheat
3. Cheat
...and so on and so forth...Cheat

Most of your success has been achieved by confirmed cheaters. The rest was achieved by guys that have been involved in major scandals at other schools.

Try not to be a hypocrite, all right?

Reactions: Villian07
Most of your success has been achieved by confirmed cheaters. The rest was achieved by guys that have been involved in major scandals at other schools.

Try not to be a hypocrite, all right?
If you wouldn't mind,tell me exactly how most of our coaches were cheats? Rupp had nothing.....actually....go ahead and explain how most of UK coaches were cheats.

KU leads in major infractions with 5 lvl 1 violations hanging over their heads, but tell me more about "confirmed cheaters".

If you wouldn't mind,tell me exactly how most of our coaches were cheats? Rupp had nothing.....actually....go ahead and explain how most of UK coaches were cheats.

KU leads in major infractions with 5 lvl 1 violations hanging over their heads, but tell me more about "confirmed cheaters".

No violations under Rupp? Sure about that?

I'm not the hypocrite pretending that my school is or was immaculate.

No violations under Rupp? Sure about that?

I'm not the hypocrite pretending that my school is or was immaculate.
You think Rupp was behind the point shaving? "They can't touch my boys with a 10 ft pole".

nvm. you have your mind made up. /Run with it.

You think Rupp was behind the point shaving? "They can't touch my boys with a 10 ft pole".

There was more than point shaving. That was just the story that got the most headlines.

Plus improper benefits in the 70s and 80s.

lol bro, still the Wizard.

where the proof? Where’s the proof? We need video and audio evidence, along with bank statements and sworn testimonies that this was going on or it’s nothing but accusations and speculation. Am I doing this right?

edit: meant to quote Bert

and fwiw i also think UCLA was paying players thru Sam Gilbert , Im just trolling UK fans like Bert that think www hung out in Lexington for a few years bc he liked the scenery and horseracing, and in Memphis prior to that bc he liked the music scene.

Last edited:
where the proof? Where’s the proof? We need video and audio evidence, along with bank statements and sworn testimonies that this was going on or it’s nothing but accusations and speculation. Am I doing this right?

edit: meant to quote Bert

and fwiw i also think UCLA was paying players thru Sam Gilbert , Im just trolling UK fans like Bert that think www hung out in Lexington for a few years bc he liked the scenery and horseracing, and in Memphis prior to that bc he liked the music scene.

I really don't know what you are talking about. I don't know www. Sorry.

Can’t really tell if this is sarcasm or just age gap but in a short comparison, He was Cal’s version of Sam Gilbert.

*allegedly/speculatively*

Can’t really tell if this is sarcasm or just age gap but in a short comparison, He was Cal’s version of Sam Gilbert.

Didn’t their “drop” in recruiting happen immediately when he left the picture?

I like you Villian, but Cal does not have anyone like Sam Gilbert. Sorry the UK players don't live in millionaires houses and furnished cars.

You can make your claims but you can't back them up.

I like you Villian, but Cal does not have anyone like Sam Gilbert. Sorry the UK players don't live in millionaires houses and furnished cars.

You can make your claims but you can't back them up.

Can you back up the claims against UCLA/Gilbert? If so why didn’t the cherry picking ncaa take their banners for playing players who received impermissible benefits? I wasn’t even in my dads nut sack back then I’ve just heard the stories regarding Gilbert buying UCLAs championships under wooden, mainly from UK fans on message boards oddly enough.

Can you back up the claims against UCLA/Gilbert? If so why didn’t the cherry picking ncaa take their banners for playing players who received impermissible benefits? I wasn’t even in my dads nut sack back then I’ve just heard the stories regarding Gilbert buying UCLAs championships under wooden, mainly from UK fans on message boards oddly enough.
Yep.

Well by all means, please elaborate. But remember this message boards burden of proof is about as stringent as a court of law. I like you too Bert, that era was just before my time frame. I’ve heard “blanket statements” about Gilbert, but nothing really specific like your alluding to. I’m not trying to troll you, I’m genuinely interested in the specifics and why the NCAA did nothing about it. But I honestly don’t know how or if the NCAA even worked back in the 70s so possibly no one can answer that one.

Was vacating wins something the ncaa did not utilize back then? Did they ever even look into UCLA/Sam Gilbert ?

Last edited:
And your absolutely right, I have no proof to my claims. Just seems like the man dubbed as “the most powerful person in basketball” would have more important things to do than hang around Calipari and college players for damn near a decade. I doubt www got to where he was in the basketball world by simply giving out free advice. But u are correct I have no idea what he was doing during that time frame or why he was around both programs, but the funny thing is nobody else does either.

And your absolutely right, I have no proof to my claims. Just seems like the man dubbed as “the most powerful person in basketball” would have more important things to do than hang around Calipari and college players for damn near a decade. I doubt www got to where he was in the basketball world by simply giving out free advice. But u are correct I have no idea what he was doing during that time frame or why he was around both programs, but the funny thing is nobody else does either.
No one talks about WWW ties to K. It seemed to pick up in the last few years. Maybe it's a Nike thing.

Also, a headline "most powerman in sports" doesn't make it true, but you know this already. It's a great dramatic effect.

Conspiracy theory. Sandy Bell something about not having WWW around the program and Duke's recruiting picks up. I feel dumber even talking about conspiracy theories.

Some run with it though, but the NCAA or journalist can't put together what some posters know as fact.

"I'm your boogie man, that's what I am, I'm here to do whatever I can" Laughing

Last edited:
Well by all means, please elaborate. But remember this message boards burden of proof is about as stringent as a court of law. I like you too Bert, that era was just before my time frame. I’ve heard “blanket statements” about Gilbert, but nothing really specific like your alluding to. I’m not trying to troll you, I’m genuinely interested in the specifics and why the NCAA did nothing about it. But I honestly don’t know how or if the NCAA even worked back in the 70s so possibly no one can answer that one.

Was vacating wins something the ncaa did not utilize back then? Did they ever even look into UCLA/Sam Gilbert ?
Didn't a UCLA player write a book?

A wink and nod.

It’s kinda like the one and done thing, everyone wants to act like it was Cals idea or that he somehow had something to do with it when he didn’t. Same thing with WWW. Cal wasn’t the only coach he was “buddies” with. Pretty sure coach K and a few other coaches are buddies with WWW also. I’m also pretty sure Sandy Bell put a stop to him coming around UK but I could be wrong about that.

It’s kinda like the one and done thing, everyone wants to act like it was Cals idea or that he somehow had something to do with it when he didn’t. Same thing with WWW. Cal wasn’t the only coach he was “buddies” with. Pretty sure coach K and a few other coaches are buddies with WWW also. I’m also pretty sure Sandy Bell put a stop to him coming around UK but I could be wrong about that.

Sure K, Boheim, all big time Nike coaches have a relationship with the man, but he hasn’t ever been seen sitting behind their bench in high profile games. He’s never had any other teams players come and find him in the stands to celebrate after they won the natty. Www has openly admitted Calipari is his favorite college coach. Thinking he is as close with K or any other coach as he is with Calipari is crazy.

And yes he is no longer “allowed” around the UK program like he was during Cals first 5 or so years. He became a certified agent iirc.

Last edited:
Yeah, people can dog Pitino for some things but he is an elite coach.

Yep. I have seen all from Rupp to present...

1. Rupp he laid the foundation and still has the best win percentage . JMO, but still
the GOAT.

2. Pitino inherited a real mess. Take his first 2 years away, and he has the highest win
percentage in UK history. (he was a S.O.B., but he was UK's S.O.B.) He had to cut
corners at Louisville to try to keep up. Too bad he ruined a legacy there, but UL is a
graveyard for ambitious coaches. Had he stayed at Kentucky instead of taking
generational type $ Coach K would never have been considered the GOAT.

3. Joe B. Hall. Followed a guy that is on the Mt Rushmore of CBB and did himself
proud. Still shows up to support coaches and the UK BB program.

4. Calipari He fits today's college game as well as any guy around. Does a lot of off
court things to make the world better that few outside the UK fan base hear about.

Sure K, Boheim, all big time Nike coaches have a relationship with the man, but he hasn’t ever been seen sitting behind their bench in high profile games. He’s never had any other teams players come and find him in the stands to celebrate after they won the natty. Www has openly admitted Calipari is his favorite college coach. Thinking he is as close with K or any other coach as he is with Calipari is crazy.

And yes he is no longer “allowed” around the UK program like he was during Cals first 5 or so years. He became a certified agent iirc.

Well just because you haven’t heard of him being at other high profile games doesn’t mean he’s not been there. Of course you’re gonna hear about him being at a UK game or around Cal because it’s UK and Cal. We stay under a microscope. Do you honestly think a guy like him doesn’t attend big time college games??

Reactions: jhmossy
Well just because you haven’t heard of him being at other high profile games doesn’t mean he’s not been there. Of course you’re gonna hear about him being at a UK game or around Cal because it’s UK and Cal. We stay under a microscope. Do you honestly think a guy like him doesn’t attend big time college games??

It’s not him being at the games, it’s him sitting behind the bench, where the players families and such sit. With the UK entourage if you will.

If you honestly think he was at UK games bc he’s just a fan of cbb why in the world would AD and co feel the need to go celebrate and hug him in the stands after they won the title in 2012? Did every UK fan sitting court side get a celebratory hug?

The mere fact that UK decided it was in their best interest for him to distance himself from the program should tell you he was a little more involved than just a regular fan.

Just look at the uptick in Cals recruiting at Memphis before he hired milt Wagner and signed his son and after. Common denominator, he formed a relationship with www through Milt who has known www since grade school. It wasn’t some fluke coincidence that Cal went from a middle of the pack conf USA coach to the best recruiter in the history of cbb sans wooden.

I know u like to think Recruits beat down the door to play for UK and the tradition and the best fans, but that wasn’t quite the case with tubby and Gillespie, even Pitino wasn’t hands down out recruiting everyone else during his tenure. Meanwhile Cal had Wall and cousins (plus Henry and likely Bledsoe) signed up to play for Memphis, in a mid major conference before the Rose shit hit the fan and he left for UK, taking his class with him.

The fact is, if he coached anywhere but your school, uk fans would be leading the charge accusing calipari/www, exactly like you did when he was at Memphis.

Most plugged in UK fan on the planet - I just can’t cheer for Memphis bc of the way Calipari runs his program. Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Memphis VIP Message board insider- Its not a done deal, but I feel pretty good about the Wall recruitment bc Wall was seen on campus accompanied by William Wesley during his visit

Last edited:
It’s not him being at the games, it’s him sitting behind the bench, where the players families and such sit. With the UK entourage if you will.

If you honestly think he was at UK games bc he’s just a fan of cbb why in the world would AD and co feel the need to go celebrate and hug him in the stands after they won the title in 2012? Did every UK fan sitting court side get a celebratory hug?

The mere fact that UK decided it was in their best interest for him to distance himself from the program should tell you he was a little more involved than just a regular fan.

Just look at the uptick in Cals recruiting at Memphis before he hired milt Wagner and signed his son and after. Common denominator, he formed a relationship with www through Milt who has known www since grade school. It wasn’t some fluke coincidence that Cal went from a middle of the pack conf USA coach to the best recruiter in the history of cbb sans wooden.

I know u like to think Recruits beat down the door to play for UK and the tradition and the best fans, but that wasn’t quite the case with tubby and Gillespie, even Pitino wasn’t hands down out recruiting everyone else during his tenure. Meanwhile Cal had Wall and cousins (plus Henry and likely Bledsoe) signed up to play for Memphis, in a mid major conference before the Rose shit hit the fan and he left for UK, taking his class with him.

The fact is, if he coached anywhere but your school, uk fans would be leading the charge accusing calipari/www, exactly like you did when he was at Memphis.

Most plugged in UK fan on the planet - I just can’t cheer for Memphis bc of the way Calipari runs his program. Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Memphis VIP Message board insider- Its not a done deal, but I feel pretty good about the Wall recruitment bc Wall was seen on campus accompanied by William Wesley during his visit

Well I mean all fans do that just like UL fans talked shit about Pitino while he was at UK and still after he left for Boston but guess what happened when he came to UL???? Suddenly he was a god! A god with hookers but still a god! What do you want us to do? He’s buddies with Cal and K and a few others, do you think they are the first coaches to have buddies that most people think is shady? No! Cal has absolutely nothing on his record and if I remember correctly the NCAA made the comment that WWW wasn’t/hasn’t broke any rules. From what I understand UK told him to stay away so idk what you want. Maybe write the NCAA and tell them you’re upset man idk.

From all the books I have read, articles, etc, etc....About 95% me believes Rupp had absolute zero knowledge about the Point Shaving. The ONLY thing that makes think MAYBE he did, was his relationship with Ed Curd; Very well known bookie in Lexington at the time. MOF, was called "The Undisputed KIng" of Lexington bookmakers..Now, As for the other things? Yes, I think he knew, Or had some knowledge i.e. paying players, ineligible players etc, etc...As for the monthly payments? I dunno. Then UK President Dr. Donovan said he did not. I mean I wasn't there(maybe Bert was). Nor were you...So really, neither one of us know.

It was a different time back then...A different era. But, the issues were more than just point shaving at UK. And look, that's not my opinion. Those are facts.

Did Rupp know? I don't think he did. But I do believe he had knowledge of the other infractions...

Well I mean all fans do that just like UL fans talked shit about Pitino while he was at UK and still after he left for Boston but guess what happened when he came to UL???? Suddenly he was a god! A god with hookers but still a god! What do you want us to do? He’s buddies with Cal and K and a few others, do you think they are the first coaches to have buddies that most people think is shady? No! Cal has absolutely nothing on his record and if I remember correctly the NCAA made the comment that WWW wasn’t/hasn’t broke any rules. From what I understand UK told him to stay away so idk what you want. Maybe write the NCAA and tell them you’re upset man idk.

Haven’t heard the one about the ncaa investigating and clearing www. A man who isn’t even employed by a ncaa program, who could tell the ncaa to fvck off at any moment with zero repercussions. Wonder how that investigation went. Hate to be that guy but ima need a link to believe that. And I’m not even saying your wrong I just haven’t read that anywhere and find it hard to believe, but I’ve been proven wrong plenty times before.

Im not mad, I’m just pointing out if some uk fans are gonna take shots at wooden and Gilbert then they need to look in the mirror at Calipari and www.

And again comparing K or any other coach’s relationship with www to Cals is laughable. And Again he’s on the record saying Cal is his guy. He knows em all, but Cal is his favorite college coach, from the horses mouth.

Imo Cals success is directly tied to his relationship with www. It’s why he went from middle of the pack mid major coach to HOF level coach. It’s wasn’t his coaching that improved, it was his recruiting. And it wasn’t bc of the mighty UK platform bc he was doing it at Memphis before he ever got there. Hell he would have had a better class at Memphis than he took with him to UK in 09 (on paper) bc it would have included Wall, cousins, and Henry (all top ten recruits iirc).

Every big Nike coach knows him, bc he used to work for Nike I believe, but he hasn’t ever hung around any other programs to the point they had to distance themselves from him. Which would be pretty pointless as well as stupid if the NCAA indeed cleared him of breaking any rules.

Haven’t heard the one about the ncaa investigating and clearing www. A man who isn’t even employed by a ncaa program, who could tell the ncaa to fvck off at any moment with zero repercussions. Wonder how that investigation went. Hate to be that guy but ima need a link to believe that. And I’m not even saying your wrong I just haven’t read that anywhere and find it hard to believe, but I’ve been proven wrong plenty times before.

Im not mad, I’m just pointing out if some uk fans are gonna take shots at wooden and Gilbert then they need to look in the mirror at Calipari and www.

And again comparing K or any other coach’s relationship with www to Cals is laughable. And Again he’s on the record saying Cal is his guy. He knows em all, but Cal is his favorite college coach, from the horses mouth.

Imo Cals success is directly tied to his relationship with www. It’s why he went from middle of the pack mid major coach to HOF level coach. It’s wasn’t his coaching that improved, it was his recruiting. And it wasn’t bc of the mighty UK platform bc he was doing it at Memphis before he ever got there. Hell he would have had a better class at Memphis than he took with him to UK in 09 (on paper) bc it would have included Wall, cousins, and Henry (all top ten recruits iirc).

Every big Nike coach knows him, bc he used to work for Nike I believe, but he hasn’t ever hung around any other programs to the point they had to distance themselves from him. Which would be pretty pointless as well as stupid if the NCAA indeed cleared him of breaking any rules.

First I never said that there was an investigation. I just remember seeing somewhere that somebody from the NCAA made a comment about him and it was something like “I don’t know who he is, he’s just Wes” or something like that. And come on with the “he’s my guy” comment, everybody in basketball, baseball and football that talks about somebody uses that phrase. Also, I get nobody likes to give Cal credit as a coach but that’s just the hate talking. Dude can coach and he’s one of the best in the game. Is he the best? No but he’s up there. I like it when people try and down Cal. Shows they are intimidated and I like that. Say what you want about him and his recruiting but kids love Cal. He tells them like it is and does everything he can to get them drafted and if that means losing them after 1 year so be it. He doesn’t throw his players under the bus to keep them in school, when they have a chance to go he tells them to go and people may not like him but they damn sure have to respect him for that.

ADVERTISEMENT