ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue has never been ranked #1

jadeezra

Dec 30, 2006
Thought that surely had to be incorrect but it isn’t. #2 is as high as they’ve been and during big dog days only #3 wow.

Unless Michigan can get them at home they may roll into the Breslin with zero conference losses. Also kudos to Borden and klize on their kind words.

I just find that amazing , this team sure is a treat to watch. I rooted for Indiana the first Davis year , but not till they went up against Duke. Then everything changed. Was a strange feeling lol

Btw who is going to beat Purdue besides Indiana and MSU lol that’s quite a line

The way MSU has been playing, I'm not even sure they will beat Purdue. I'm sure there will be a slip up in there somewhere. Michigan played a good enough game to win, all it would have taken was a poor shooting night from Purdue which thankfully didn't happen. I'm still surprised at how much Purdue's D has improved this year over last.

As far as a #1 ranking I'm not going to hold my breath. Purdue should have been #1 in 2009-2010 but that was the week Robbie Hummel tore his knee and the voters chose to not give them the spot because of it. Probably rightfully so.

Last edited:
Never know. The last two years we won the big we lost to Illinois and PSU. There's always someone to trip you up when you overlook them. Look at last year Purdue lost to Iowa and Nebraska.

I think #3 is the highest in the Keady/Painter era.

I think this team will get there, but Michigan could beat Purdue at home and MSU at the Bres won’t be easy either. Purdue is going to get everyone’s best shot from here on out. I think with the four seniors, it’s possible to run the guanlet witnhout a let down, it just isn’t likely. If they do however, they will get it and they will deserve it.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
As far as a #1 ranking I'm not going to hold my breath. Purdue should have been #1 in 2009-2010 but that was the week Robbie Hummel tore his knee and the voters chose to not give them the spot because of it. Probably rightfully so.
Purdue was ranked #3 when Hummel tore his ACL in 2010. That was their highest ranking of the season. They lost their next game which was on a Sunday and then dropped to #7 in the polls.

Purdue was ranked #3 when Hummel tore his ACL in 2010. That was their highest ranking of the season. They lost their next game which was on a Sunday and then dropped to #7 in the polls.
Yes, but they lost mostly because they lost Hummel. The #1 and #2 teams had just lost that week as well.

It's tough to reach #1 in balanced conferences, & the Big10 usually has quite a few tough teams to cause upsets! #2 is still quite an accomplishment for a non blue blood & I'm glad to see Purdue playing strong after a shaky start

Thought that surely had to be incorrect but it isn’t. #2 is as high as they’ve been and during big dog days only #3 wow.

Unless Michigan can get them at home they may roll into the Breslin with zero conference losses. Also kudos to Borden and klize on their kind words.

I just find that amazing , this team sure is a treat to watch. I rooted for Indiana the first Davis year , but not till they went up against Duke. Then everything changed. Was a strange feeling lol

Btw who is going to beat Purdue besides Indiana and MSU lol that’s quite a line
Purdue is going to be very difficult to beat. Outside of games @ Indiana and MSU, your schedule is very, very favorable. MOF, its insane how favorable it is. IF you guys get out AH and East Lansing with wins, I'm not sure anyone beats you. But.....teams hit lulls. Go through funks, etc, etc...With that being said, not sure this team will. Very good chance of only losing 1 or 2 games.

Purdue is going to be very difficult to beat. Outside of games @ Indiana and MSU, your schedule is very, very favorable. MOF, its insane how favorable it is. IF you guys get out AH and East Lansing with wins, I'm not sure anyone beats you. But.....teams hit lulls. Go through funks, etc, etc...With that being said, not sure this team will. Very good chance of only losing 1 or 2 games.
Among the top 4-5 teams, I'd say Ohio State, Michigan and Michigan State all have easier schedules for the final 12 games than Purdue.

TBH, I haven't looked. But if so, my god who are they playing?
Matchups amongst the top five (PU, OSU, UM, MSU, IU) remaining:

Purdue: UM, OSU, @IU, @MSU
Ohio State: @PU, @UM, IU, @IU
Michigan: @PU, OSU
Michigan State: PU, IU, @IU
Indiana: PU, MSU, @MSU, OSU, @OSU

Matchups amongst the top five (PU, OSU, UM, MSU, IU) remaining:

Purdue: UM, OSU, @IU, @MSU
Ohio State: @PU, @UM, IU, @IU
Michigan: @PU, OSU
Michigan State: PU, IU, @IU
Indiana: PU, MSU, @MSU, OSU, @OSU
I'll concede UM. SmokinSmile

Top 10 Appearances at #1 in AP Poll:

1. Duke 134 11.6%
UCLA 134 11.6%
3. Kentucky 124 10.7%
4. North Carolina 110 9.5%
5. Kansas 65 5.6%
6. Indiana 54 4.7%
7. Cincinnati 45 3.9%
8. Arizona 37 3.2%
Ohio State 37 3.2%
10. UNLV 32 2.8%

Top 10 Appearances at #1 in AP Poll:

1. Duke 134 11.6%
UCLA 134 11.6%
3. Kentucky 124 10.7%
4. North Carolina 110 9.5%
5. Kansas 65 5.6%
6. Indiana 54 4.7%
7. Cincinnati 45 3.9%
8. Arizona 37 3.2%
Ohio State 37 3.2%
10. UNLV 32 2.8%
Man, given that history, it's hard to believe those few weeks in 2013 were the only time in the last quarter of a century that IU has been ranked #1.

Man, given that history, it's hard to believe those few weeks in 2013 were the only time in the last quarter of a century that IU has been ranked #1.
You might want to get there first before talking smack. The entire list was a long one with A LOT of schools, but I couldn't find Purdue anywhere on the list.

You might want to get there first before talking smack. The entire list was a long one with A LOT of schools, but I couldn't find Purdue anywhere on the list.

Don’t think he was talking smack. I think he was actually surprised. I know I was.

Haha, @boilerzz, you just got roasted!

Did you know - in a thread about Purdue never being ranked No. 1 in the AP poll - that Purdue has never been ranked No. 1 in the AP poll?!

How's that egg on your face feel, ya goof?

Purdue is the only college mentioned in McClintock, so you've got that going for you.

Reactions: pig1960
Or pretty soft and thin skinned . Guess depends on how one views it.
Duh ...like it’s the subject of the OP Einstein....
Good grief....I knew what the subject of the thread was before I posted. I was simply responding to a weak dig at IU by reaffirming Purdue's absence. Act like you've been there before BoilerGal.....oops, I guess you can't.

Good grief....I knew what the subject of the thread was before I posted. I was simply responding to a weak dig at IU by reaffirming Purdue's absence. Act like you've been there before BoilerGal.....oops, I guess you can't.
It clearly wasn’t a dig. Only an idiot would think so. Beat it newbie.

ADVERTISEMENT