ADVERTISEMENT

Poll; Is Coach K the GOAT?

See Thread title

• Total voters
I couldn't care less, North Carolina is the dirtiest program of all time. I lost all respect for them when they got away with fake classes a few years ago.

Anything they've done or do going forward is meaningless as far as I'm concerned. Bob Knight was a lot of things, but he always ran a clean program with kids that took REAL classes. Roy can mutter awww shucks over and over again until he retires, it doesn't change the fact they got away with a fake class, while mocking the term "student athlete" in the process.

All in all Bob Knight did it clean while Roy did not.

Knight > Roy
What about what Roy did at Kansas? I mean, is that mute? Also, rather a coach was dirty or not, isn't relevant to how good of a coach he is. Sampson was dirty...But he can flat out coach. Pitino... I mean I can rhink.of a ton of coaches with shaky backgrounds , that could.flat out coach.
It's not as far fetched as you think. Roy Williams is a terrific coach.

What about what Roy did at Kansas? I mean, is that mute? Also, rather a coach was dirty or not, isn't relevant to how good of a coach he is. Sampson was dirty...But he can flat out coach. Pitino... I mean I can rhink.of a ton of coaches with shaky backgrounds , that could.flat out coach.
It's not as far fetched as you think. Roy Williams is a terrific coach.
It's not relevant if you're comparing Williams to a coach like Tom Crean. It becomes relevant when you start comparing Roy to some of the greats of all time. Guys that had as much if not more success than you, while doing it cleanly.

I'm not putting down Roy's coaching ability, he's a fine coach, I'm just saying he's not as good as Knight. That's not a diss, as not many are.

It's not relevant if you're comparing Williams to a coach like Tom Crean. It becomes relevant when you start comparing Roy to some of the greats of all time. Guys that had as much if not more success than you, while doing it cleanly.

I'm not putting down Roy's coaching ability, he's a fine coach, I'm just saying he's not as good as Knight. That's not a diss, as not many are.
So with rhis, what's your thoughts on Wooden?
We are comparing coaching ability. Not ethics, morals , etc, etc...I mean I think Barry Bonds was the greatest player in baseball. But....well, there is that doping thingy. Doesnt mean I put his abilities behind the greatest to play. Same with Knight and Roy.

So with rhis, what's your thoughts on Wooden?
We are comparing coaching ability. Not ethics, morals , etc, etc...I mean I think Barry Bonds was the greatest player in baseball. But....well, there is that doping thingy. Doesnt mean I put his abilities behind the greatest to play. Same with Knight and Roy.
My order is (off the top of my head)

Wooden
Knight
Rupp
K
Iba/Smith

To me those guys are in a league of their own, after that it becomes more preference.

My order is (off the top of my head)

Wooden
Knight
Rupp
K
Iba/Smith

To me those guys are in a league of their own, after that it becomes more preference.
Now, here's where I get confused. You won't list Roy because of the academic scandal. But you list Smith? Why? According to the reports, the AFAM classes began when Smith was at the helm. Just find it odd you won't list Roy, but do list Smith.
And FTR, not listing a dude with 897 wins, 3 titles and 9 FF's is asinine. Especially when you have no issue listing Wooden, and or Smith.

Now, here's where I get confused. You won't list Roy because of the academic scandal. But you list Smith? Why? According to the reports, the AFAM classes began when Smith was at the helm. Just find it odd you won't list Roy, but do list Smith.
And FTR, not listing a dude with 897 wins, 3 titles and 9 FF's is asinine. Especially when you have no issue listing Wooden, and or Smith.
I didn't even know that the fake classes went back that far, If they did then mark Smith off as well.

Also we're talking about the top 5 coaches of all time, me listing Roy in the top 10 instead of top 5 is far from an indictment on him. There are just 5 better in game coaches all time, that's all.

By the way 11 national titles > anything Roy has done. Wooden got the talent sure, but he also won national titles with it damn near every single season. He was the very definition of dominant.

48d58ae7313866896aec65d197f799a7.jpg
170213_gma_breakfast_coach1_16x9_992.jpg

K is the best in modern era CBB. Comparing between eras is meaningless.
Best amswer, again. The games were so different. Three point shot, shot clock, freshman eligibility, lane size, etc, etc..Such a difference in the game. Wooden dominated with big dudes, i.e. Walton and Kareem. In today's game, that could be neutralized withbthe three point shot. ..So many other examples.

I didn't even know that the fake classes went back that far, If they did then mark Smith off as well.

Also we're talking about the top 5 coaches of all time, me listing Roy in the top 10 instead of top 5 is far from an indictment on him. There are just 5 better in game coaches all time, that's all.

By the way 11 national titles > anything Roy has done. Wooden got the talent sure, but he also won national titles with it damn near every single season. He was the very definition of dominant.
Well if your scratching Roy and Smith due to " cheating". Well, ummm, ya might wanna do.some reading on a guy named Sam Gilbert. I'm thinking if you do that, Wooden comes off your list as well.

Well if your scratching Roy and Smith due to " cheating". Well, ummm, ya might wanna do.some reading on a guy named Sam Gilbert. I'm thinking if you do that, Wooden comes off your list as well.
I'm talking about pure coaching ability, I don't even know why you're arguing this.

Wooden stomps Smith/Williams in both categories. He won 11 titles.

I'm talking about pure coaching ability, I don't even know why you're arguing this.

Wooden stomps Smith/Williams in both categories. He won 11 titles.
Why am I arguing this? Because you said...
I couldn't care less, North Carolina is the dirtiest program of all time. I lost all respect for them when they got away with fake classes a few years ago.

Anything they've done or do going forward is meaningless as far as I'm concerned. Bob Knight was a lot of things, but he always ran a clean program with kids that took REAL classes. Roy can mutter awww shucks over and over again until he retires, it doesn't change the fact they got away with a fake class, while mocking the term "student athlete" in the process.

All in all Bob Knight did it clean while Roy did not.

Knight > Roy

Maybe this is why? You discarded Roy because of the academic issue. Then when I pointed out it actually started in the early 90's, under Smith, you then discarded Dean. Now you're asking why? Really?
Also, if you are going on coaching ability only...How the **** do you leave a guy with 897 wins, 3 titles and 9 FF's, off the Top 5? Only 3 coaches have more titles and FF's (Wooden/K and Rupp). I know why....You told me why, above . Now you're backpedaling. Why?

Why am I arguing this? Because you said...

Maybe this is why? You discarded Roy because of the academic issue. Then when I pointed out it actually started in the early 90's, under Smith, you then discarded Dean. Now you're asking why? Really?
Also, if you are going on coaching ability only...How the **** do you leave a guy with 897 wins, 3 titles and 9 FF's, off the Top 5? Only 3 coaches have more titles and FF's (Wooden/K and Rupp). I know why....You told me why, above . Now you're backpedaling. Why?
I'm leaving him out of the TOP5, you can not be a TOP5 coach of all time and still be a great coach.

There are just at least 5 coaches I would take in front of him, it's really a simple concept.

I'm leaving him out of the TOP5, you can not be a TOP5 coach of all time and still be a great coach.

There are just at least 5 coaches I would take in front of him, it's really a simple concept.
Ok. You initially discarded Roy because of the academic scandal.. Then when I informed you that it started under Smith, you said..

You're a confusing dude. Which is it? Is Roy not Top 5 because of the cheating? Is Smith not Top 5 because the academic issues started under him? If yes, then how can you include Wooden? I mean you clearly.state everything Roy has done is meaningless , due to.the academic scandal.
Just trying to figure out how many goal post you plan to use.

Ok. You initially discarded Roy because of the academic scandal.. Then when I informed you that it started under Smith, you said..

You're a confusing dude. Which is it? Is Roy not Top 5 because of the cheating? Is Smith not Top 5 because the academic issues started under him? If yes, then how can you include Wooden? I mean you clearly.state everything Roy has done is meaningless , due to.the academic scandal.
Just trying to figure out how many goal post you plan to use.
Roy or Smith aren't top 5 coaches regardless of the academic scandals.

I was not alive during John Wooden's heyday to prove whether or not he cheated. It sounds like Sam Gilbert played the biggest part in it all, did Wooden know? Maybe.

Either way I would take Wooden over the other 2.

If coach K and bobby K had the exact same team, I think K wins. I also think Rupp would beat ether one of them in the same scenario.

If coach K and bobby K had the exact same team, I think K wins. I also think Rupp would beat ether one of them in the same scenario.
I'd have Rupp ahead of K as well, but as far as Bobby we'll have to agree to disagree.

He was a lot of things, but I'm taking Knight with equal talent against almost anyone.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I think it's even , TBH. Gun to head? I'd take Knight . Basketball genius. Look, if I had to give one coach, one week, to prepare? I'm taking Knight. But you couldn't go wrong with either of the three . All great coaches.

Most titles equals goat. Next question.

All these dudes better than Jordan?
  • Jim Loscutoff – 7 championships. ...
  • Frank Ramsey – 7 championships. ...
  • John Havlicek – 8 championships. ...
  • Tom Heinsohn – 8 championships. ...
  • KC Jones – 8 championships. ...
  • Tom Sanders – 8 championships. ...
  • Sam Jones – 10 championships. ...
  • Bill Russell – 11 championships

Would be interesting to see these coaches in different eras.

All these dudes better than Jordan?
  • Jim Loscutoff – 7 championships. ...
  • Frank Ramsey – 7 championships. ...
  • John Havlicek – 8 championships. ...
  • Tom Heinsohn – 8 championships. ...
  • KC Jones – 8 championships. ...
  • Tom Sanders – 8 championships. ...
  • Sam Jones – 10 championships. ...
  • Bill Russell – 11 championships

He's talking about coaches, not players.

He's talking about coaches, not players.

No kidding? Thanks. The point remains, just because you won a bunch of rings is not an indication that you’re the GOAT. There are other factors to consider

No kidding? Thanks. The point remains, just because you won a bunch of rings is not an indication that you’re the GOAT. There are other factors to consider

Someone said a few posts ago that most coaches don't spend 40 years at a blue blood, which is a good point. How about we look at the top coaches and years spent at a school that contends for a title. Then we take those years and divide by the number of titles to get the average years coached per title.

Bill self could be good examples of this. Self wasn't coaching at a title contender until Kansas.

Perhaps this could help this debate to see who the GOAT is?

Reactions: RipThru
Rings, Gold Medals, Acc championships, NCAA tourney wins, NCAA wins. etc., etc..

K is the GOAT, no question.

Rings, Gold Medals, Acc championships, NCAA tourney wins, NCAA wins. etc., etc..

K is the GOAT, no question.

He may or may not be; rings are not the end all be all when deciding in my estimation.

You do realize he's not the first coach to accomplish all those things, right?
So another coach has 5 Rings, 3 Olympic medals, the most NCAA tourney wins and most Acc championships. I could be wrong on Acc. And the most all time wins? Who?

I, for one, am utterly shocked by the content of this post. It’s almost as shocking as the time he declared that there was a 0% chance that Zion’s family accepted money.
I am utterly shocked that you think your opinion means something without one bit of proof.

So another coach has 5 Rings, 3 Olympic medals, the most NCAA tourney wins and most Acc championships. I could be wrong on Acc. And the most all time wins? Who?
Well, no . . . but a lot of them have better hair.

ADVERTISEMENT