ADVERTISEMENT

Player of the year early list

Is this Player of the Year or Team of the Year? Last year's winner played on a team that had 9 losses and got bounced in the 2nd round.

Just a fun little slight. The ACC is really, really bad. But, Tshiebwe is a monster and looks like an All-American lock at this point in the season.

My way-too-early top 10 candidates for NPOY might be something like...

1. Kofi Cockburn, Illinois
2. Jaden Ivey, Purdue
3. Ochai Agbaji, Kansas
4. Drew Timme, Gonzaga
5. Jaden Shackelford, Alabama
6. EJ Liddell, Ohio State
7. Paolo Banchero, Duke
8. Oscar Tshiebwe, Kentucky
9. Bennedict Mathurin, Arizona
10. Johnny Juzang, UCLA

Just a fun little slight. The ACC is really, really bad. But, Tshiebwe is a monster and looks like an All-American lock at this point in the season.

2. Jaden Ivey, Purdue
3. Ochai Agbaji, Kansas
4. Drew Timme, Gonzaga
7. Paolo Banchero, Duke
10. Johnny Juzang, UCLA
I realized after the fact that one had gone over my head. 😆 I then edited my response.

Funny thing is Tshiebwe was picked pre-season 2nd team All-SEC (Wheeler was the only UK player picked for 1st team).

At this point Oscar looks like the clear favorite for SEC PoY though. Granted, SEC play hasn't even started yet.

That list looks pretty solid to me. I would have it about the same.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I realized after the fact that one had gone over my head. 😆 I then edited my response.

Funny thing is Tshiebwe was picked pre-season 2nd team All-SEC (Wheeler was the only UK player picked for 1st team).

At this point Oscar looks like the clear favorite for SEC PoY though. Granted, SEC play hasn't even started yet.

That list looks pretty solid to me. I would have it about the same.

Yeah, that's probably fair. Don't think Jaden Shackelford is too far behind, though. Jabari Smith and JD Notae might have a fighting chance.

I tried to tell you he was gonna be a game-changer when he decided to come back.
I definitely didn’t see him improving his handles this much or becoming this consistent. The numbers almost have to taper off at some point, but to have the highest PPG in the nation while shooting 58%, on a team with plenty of scorers, is no joke.

I definitely didn’t see him improving his handles this much or becoming this consistent. The numbers almost have to taper off at some point, but to have the highest PPG in the nation while shooting 58%, on a team with plenty of scorers, is no joke.
Yeah, he is burning up the nets for sure. Definitely boosting his draft stock big time.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Smith is really good. I am surprised how well he shoots the deep ball for a guy his size, and he shoots a lot of them.

I honestly love the harassment Auburn gets on this board. They're a fun school to root against. But, Jabari Smith is the real deal. He's a legit #1 overall prospect. An amazingly talented shooter, great skillset. He's everything the NBA is looking for in a stretch 4.

2. Jaden Ivey, Purdue
3. Ochai Agbaji, Kansas
4. Drew Timme, Gonzaga
7. Paolo Banchero, Duke
10. Johnny Juzang, UCLA
I had the chance to watch Mathurin in person in Champaign on Saturday.
He is gooooooddddd…..

I had the chance to watch Mathurin in person in Champaign on Saturday.
He is gooooooddddd…..

Why isn't he being hyped up more? Guessing because not as many people watch the really late games, which is often schools in the west coast area. He's been playing like a 1st Team All-American the last few weeks. Great talent. Should be a lottery pick.

Also, as a neutral observer, that was an incredibly exciting game on Saturday. One of the better games of the season.

Why isn't he being hyped up more? Guessing because not as many people watch the really late games, which is often schools in the west coast area. He's been playing like a 1st Team All-American the last few weeks. Great talent. Should be a lottery pick.

Also, as a neutral observer, that was an incredibly exciting game on Saturday. One of the better games of the season.
I think the late West Coast games comment is true but Juzang and Timme also benefit from deep tourney runs while AZ hadn’t been in it for a few years.

Amazing game of runs on both sides. Too much length from AZ. Tubelis and Kriisa really hurt UI too.

I honestly love the harassment Auburn gets on this board. They're a fun school to root against. But, Jabari Smith is the real deal. He's a legit #1 overall prospect. An amazingly talented shooter, great skillset. He's everything the NBA is looking for in a stretch 4.

Son of a bitch….

If Wendell Moore isn’t on the list it just doesn’t matter.
Its hard to list someone who isn't the best player on their own team, you know? Wendell has improved leaps and bounds since last season and has turned into a really nice player. That said, Banchero will get the love for Duke and rightfully so. He's a monster.

Reactions: DiehardDukeFan4Life
Its hard to list someone who isn't the best player on their own team, you know? Wendell has improved leaps and bounds since last season and has turned into a really nice player. That said, Banchero will get the love for Duke and rightfully so. He's a monster.
Wendell is the best player on Duke this year. Maybe base it on performance and not expectations.

Reactions: 500HP_Devil
5 ast per for Moore is really nice. You won't find too many Fs at this level doing that, without looking it up I can't be sure.

Stats say there are really close. Eye test told me Banchero is better. Can't go wrong either way imo.
I agree with this. Stats wise they’re pretty even. The only stats that there is a significant difference between the 2 of them is fg%, 3 pt fg% and ft%. Moore’s fg% and 3pt fg% are about 8-9% better than Banchero’s but Banchero’s ft% is 10% better than Moore’s. So like you said, can’t go wrong with either of them.

If Wendell doesn’t play they lose some games. Banchero, not so much.

ADVERTISEMENT