ADVERTISEMENT

Penny Hardaway

coryfly

Aug 7, 2007
I'm pretty intrigued with all of this. I watched that UT-Memphis game and it was very intense. Memphis played tough but was over the top with their flopping. There were some pretty epic ones. At the end some Memphis dude made a shot and talked some trash (which happens about a hundred times a game) so the UT guy talked back and they went head to head for a bit and a few others players talked some. Then Hardaway kind of pushed Bone towards his huddle and it was a timeout so the UT players were sort of walking towards the fray since it was in front of the Memphis bench. It was all pretty benign tbh. There were a few technicals but nothing of note.

So after the game Penny made the comment that his player wouldn't talk trash so Bone must have started it and that all of UT's players were coming over to fight with balled fists. It was a pretty absurd take but the dude is just learning so no big deal. So Barnes didn't say much about it, just laughed it off for the most part.

So today I guess Hardaway doubles down by saying he is low class, saying Barnes is the one taking things too far, saying Barnes is the one knocking his players, and ends by saying 'Rick Barnes, get the **** out of here'. Penny seems completely out of his league here and is totally in the wrong but this is awesome for the series. Next year this game is going to be awesome.

Also, it is kind of an 'anti-Memphis' type thing to do. They are supposed to be tough and sort of a not back down kind of team. This is like he is saying those mean old UT dudes are picking on my poor players.

Reactions: dukedevilz
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Have another look at the Memphis flop-fest. My favorite part is the double-flop at the end. <br><br>(Also, note the ref on the baseline called the last foul on the other side of the court) <a href="https://t.co/6pQJrxTXII">pic.twitter.com/6pQJrxTXII</a></p>&mdash; Ryan Moses (@RMoses10) <a href="">December 15, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This is just a small number of them as well. It was hilarious to watch.

Penny Hardaway only has a few options to stay in the college news cycle, the ESPN press spin team or drum up some drama....wtf did you expect him to do? Coach? In the words of lil penny " get the f%$# out a here" Cue Gary Parish sticking up for him in 3 2 1

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Have another look at the Memphis flop-fest. My favorite part is the double-flop at the end. <br><br>(Also, note the ref on the baseline called the last foul on the other side of the court) <a href="https://t.co/6pQJrxTXII">pic.twitter.com/6pQJrxTXII</a></p>&mdash; Ryan Moses (@RMoses10) <a href=" ">December 15, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This is just a small number of them as well. It was hilarious to watch.

Man that first flop is so laughably bad. Embarrassing.

A good brawl is always good for the sport. Hopefully next year we get a zipped em up Tu Holloway style.

Penny Hardaway only has a few options to stay in the college news cycle, the ESPN press spin team or drum up some drama....wtf did you expect him to do? Coach? In the words of lil penny " get the f%$# out a here" Cue Gary Parish sticking up for him in 3 2 1

He already has on Twitter. Is he a big Penny or Memphis guy?

Last edited:
Interesting move. I actually think he wil win some over with the bluntness.

I'm pretty intrigued with all of this. I watched that UT-Memphis game and it was very intense. Memphis played tough but was over the top with their flopping. There were some pretty epic ones. At the end some Memphis dude made a shot and talked some trash (which happens about a hundred times a game) so the UT guy talked back and they went head to head for a bit and a few others players talked some. Then Hardaway kind of pushed Bone towards his huddle and it was a timeout so the UT players were sort of walking towards the fray since it was in front of the Memphis bench. It was all pretty benign tbh. There were a few technicals but nothing of note.

So after the game Penny made the comment that his player wouldn't talk trash so Bone must have started it and that all of UT's players were coming over to fight with balled fists. It was a pretty absurd take but the dude is just learning so no big deal. So Barnes didn't say much about it, just laughed it off for the most part.

So today I guess Hardaway doubles down by saying he is low class, saying Barnes is the one taking things too far, saying Barnes is the one knocking his players, and ends by saying 'Rick Barnes, get the **** out of here'. Penny seems completely out of his league here and is totally in the wrong but this is awesome for the series. Next year this game is going to be awesome.

The Memphis player was the only one to get a TF called on himself in that incident. There was no fight and the Vols didn't try to start one. Hardaway looks like a punk in this situation.

Reactions: kl40504
The Memphis player was the only one to get a TF called on himself in that incident. There was no fight and the Vols didn't try to start one. Hardaway looks like a punk in this situation.

No, Bone did as well but another Memphis guy also was T'd up which is why there were FTs. But yes, Hardaway looks pretty awful here.

Reactions: KisteK
No, Bone did as well but another Memphis guy also was T'd up which is why there were FTs. But yes, Hardaway looks pretty awful here.
I meant shots. This series was resumed when Smith was at Memphis. Barnes and Smith are friends. I would imagine it is ended after the current 3 year agreement.

I meant shots. This series was resumed when Smith was at Memphis. Barnes and Smith are friends. I would imagine it is ended after the current 3 year agreement.

I sure hope not. This is going to be fun to watch the next couple of years.

Wtf is penny talking about? From a guy that gives zero ****s about either team—-Memphis was flopping all over the place, the altercation was nearly nothing to event comment on, and Barnes didn’t even address half the shit Penny is saying he did.

Reactions: RockChalkRally
Della, finally something we agree on.

Reactions: della
It's about freaking time! It's sad when Lipscomb and Belmont is the best rivalry in the state of Tennessee.

Reactions: sgrooms
It's about freaking time! It's sad when Lipscomb and Belmont is the best rivalry in the state of Tennessee.
lil-penny.jpg

You don't have to be a little punk to get a rivalry started.

Reactions: kl40504 and sgrooms
I guess I meant I heard from more than one Mississippian that Memphis is their city.
And aren't Memphis and Ole Miss a stronger rivalry than Memphis and Tennessee?
Memphis-Ole Miss is a pretty big football rivalry. Hard to tell in basketball. Memphis doesn't play Tennessee or Ole Miss on a regular basis.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
So Penny is basically John Calipari Jr.

Got it
Yeah, Calipari never wins anything aside from recruiting titles. You really got me there. Eyeroll

Shouldn't you be whining with your fellow cocks in the other thread about how your team went to the final four for the first time ever and immediately went back to sucking?

Penny is an amateur and will make Josh Pastner look like Roy Willians by the time this experiment fails. He’s an AAU/middle school coach who is over his head and trying too hard. He’ll recruit good until the bloom is off the rose but is already letting the inmates run the asylum which will end in disaster soon enough.

The hire was a desperate PR move by Memphis. Bold streategy but their AD is hoping for the best vs. making a strong calculated gamble.

Last edited:
Reactions: barbourfor3
Penny is an amateur and will make Josh Pastner look like Roy Willians by the time this experiment fails. He’s an AAU/middle school coach who is over his head and trying too hard. He’ll recruit good until the bloom is off the rose but is already letting the inmates run the asylum which will end in disaster soon enough.

The hire was a desperate PR move by Memphis. Bold streategy but their AD is hoping for the best vs. making a sting calculated gamble.
I hope UT fulfills the 3 game agreement (2 more games) to play Memphis and then ends it.

Reactions: GhostVol
I hope UT fulfills the 3 game agreement (2 more games) to play Memphis and then ends it.

Memphis is to UT what U of Louisville is to UK - an obnoxious, chunky, little brother with a permanent Cheetos stache desperately trying outdo big bro. UK has literally owned the series, including beating them twice in the same series. UL has beat us like once in 10 years despite playing 12 or so times.

If they don’t get more competitive I’m thinking UK should drop them for a higher profile home and home - like vs. UNC, Duke, Gonzaga or Michigan.

Memphis is to UT what U of Louisville is to UK - an obnoxious, chunky, little brother with a permanent Cheetos stache desperately trying outdo big bro. UK has literally owned the series, including beating them twice in the same series. UL has beat us like once in 10 years despite playing 12 or so times.

If they don’t get more competitive I’m thinking UK should drop them for a higher profile home and home - like vs. UNC, Duke, Gonzaga or Michigan.

Literally?

Reactions: RonEJones
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT