ADVERTISEMENT

Penny GUARANTEES the National Title

It will be interesting to see how Roy does with more OAD types. I know he is pretty tight with Cal so maybe he will get some pointers from him. Wouldn't be a bad idea. Cal does do a good job of it.
Pitino and Williams stand out to me as the two coaches that doesn't really like playing freshman.

Pitino and Williams stand out to me as the two coaches that doesn't really like playing freshman.

Roy has adjusted that to some degree. Quite a bit actually. He pretty much let Coby just roll with it last year. He is also trying to let May and KM do more stuff with the team. I know J Cole was at practice today (never would have done that in the past) and he this year finally started letting freshman talk with the media before the first game. I think some of the younger guys have told him he has to change a bit.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Roy has adjusted that to some degree. Quite a bit actually. He pretty much let Coby just roll with it last year. He is also trying to let May and KM do more stuff with the team. I know J Cole was at practice today (never would have done that in the past) and he this year finally started letting freshman talk with the media before the first game. I think some of the younger guys have told him he has to change a bit.
The great coaches adapt.

Reactions: AWilli6995
Full circle, Do you understand why UNC isn't part of Champions Classic?

Full circle, Do you understand why UNC isn't part of Champions Classic?

They aren't part of it because of Duke. I'm not taking umbrage with that. It is this notion that this Champions Classic has the four perfect teams. They don't. They have four very good teams in it because Duke and UNC happen to be in the same conference.

They aren't part of it because of Duke. I'm not taking umbrage with that. It is this notion that this Champions Classic has the four perfect teams. They don't. They have four very good teams in it because Duke and UNC happen to be in the same conference.
Again,when this started UNC was down. It would be unfair to the other teams and Duke to replace them.

UK and UNC is tied for the best record in the CBS Sports classic. I do think we need to replace OSU and UCLA. I think Arizona would be better for the Pac 12. I'm not sure who to with big ten. MSU is taken, IU? Go with a different conference? Every has sucked against KU in the Big 12.

Clearly, CBSSC is a step down from CC, but still who would be the B squad worthy?

It's funny no one stepped up to take Penny/UM serious. Instead we filled our time with other stuff.

living here, if Penny makes the S16,they'll give him a lifetime contract. He's a household name. They're so desperate to be relevant (hence Penny talking shit), and UM just wants to be in the news and be talked about. They know they're not going to win a title or be in the constant discussion. (tagging Gary Parrish to this post,we'll see if he responds, he comes into the dealership often, and he eats at a place we eat and I taunt him abit. I keep saying post here).

Surely everyone here knows without Wiseman, Penny would have never got the job at UM. Hometown hero, yes, . Hometown hero who could deliver a unicorn, f*ck yes.Steal him from Calipari, triple unicorn fudge yes. Wiseman was going to UK if they didn't hire Penny. They're still butthurt.

The suck job since then I'm thinking UM is stuck/wanting Penny for life. Who else are they going to hire..

Locals want get aggressive when I bring this up. They have the fan base, they have the fedex money and facilities.

Memphis has a lot of talent. This past year is more than most. If they don't win big this year, the future crop isn't promising. there isn't any Wiseman's, Lawson's coming through the door at this time.

Last edited:
Penny is trying to create a buzz around Memphis, he's went after UT/Barnes, he's went after UK/Cal, and he's going against Duke/KU/MSU. He's talking shit to get a buzz around the program.

We'll see if his ass can cash the checks his mouth is writing.
Your post is laughable. Create buzz around Memphis. If we had any more buzz we could fly. I've heard him numerous times. Yes, he's confident, but have heard him say it will be hard, etc. We already have 15,000 + season tickets sold and wiil be back where we, for many years, in top 10 in attendance.

Your post is laughable. Create buzz around Memphis. If we had any more buzz we could fly. I've heard him numerous times. Yes, he's confident, but have heard him say it will be hard, etc. We already have 15,000 + season tickets sold and wiil be back where we, for many years, in top 10 in attendance.
come on man, I'm guessing you live here too. He's either a complete asshole or he's putting his name in the media. We know he's not a complete asshole.

Also, don't confuse Memphis buzz with national buzz. If you want a gauge on national buzz, read how many threads here about Memphis/Penny.

Wait...is that you Gary? If it's Gary, name the restaurant where we eat?

Have you ever ventured outside of Memphis?

There's no "buzz" with Memphis Tigers basketball. Are you joking? Nobody outside of Memphis ever thinks about that program.

Heck, even this latest crap from Penny will fade quickly.

That's all this is man, it's a stunt created to draw attention to his team, but it's going to bite him and the program in the ass.

But trust me, Memphis isn't a fly on an elephant's ass outside of Memphis, TN.

Again,when this started UNC was down. It would be unfair to the other teams and Duke to replace them.

UK and UNC is tied for the best record in the CBS Sports classic. I do think we need to replace OSU and UCLA. I think Arizona would be better for the Pac 12. I'm not sure who to with big ten. MSU is taken, IU? Go with a different conference? Every has sucked against KU in the Big 12.

Clearly, CBSSC is a step down from CC, but still who would be the B squad worthy?

Maybe Michigan. They have been quite good lately and have plenty of history.

As for Penny, he didn’t really need buzz for Memphis. Memphis is big there and they think that reflects how everyone else should feel about them. He is trying to build up talk nationally. Needs to win for it to work though. We will see this year if he can teach anything outside of flopping.

As for Penny, he didn’t really need buzz for Memphis. Memphis is big there and they think that reflects how everyone else should feel about them. He is trying to build up talk nationally. Needs to win for it to work though. We will see this year if he can teach anything outside of flopping.

Reactions: kyjeff1
He might just be inexperienced. Promising a national title hasn’t seemed to work out well in the past for some coaches. It’s really not something you should ever say.

I’m not seeing in his quote that he guaranteed or promised a NC. He said that he thinks to himself that “we are gonna win the national title”. Would u rather have a coach that wasn’t as confident in his team or had said I think to myself, this team is gonna go to the sweet 16. He thinks his team is gonna win the national title. You think self, K, Roy, Calipari, Mack, and Izzo don’t think the same thing about their team this season. Now saying what he said probly wasn’t the smartest thing to do, but I don’t see it as guaranteeing or promising national title like joe Namath guaranteed that super bowl win.

Last edited:
I didn't see Duke in the dropdown box. Only up-to-date UNC news.

..and I'm clearly not trolling, just pointing out links.

A blog on a website isn’t quite the same as espn having promo commercials for Zion and duke last year and the 2015 UK team where the promos included the nelly song about being number one. Commercials being seen by everyone that watches espn, whether they are cbb fans or not.

I mean would u rather have a UK blog on the espn website or a commercial promoting the program like in 2015. UNC has won titles since then and never had that of publicity from espn until after they cut down the nets.

I’m not seeing in his quote that he guaranteed or promised a NC. He said that he thinks to himself that “we are gonna win the national title”. Would u rather have a coach that wasn’t as confident in his team or had said I think to myself, this team is gonna go to the sweet 16. He thinks his team is gonna win the national title. You think self, K, Roy, Calipari, Mack, and Izzo don’t think the same thing about their team.
Saying we are gonna win the national title or I promise you we will win the national title are basically the same thing. Promising it does come off as a stronger statement but it’s not a huge difference. Notice that those coaches (don’t include Mack in that group by the way lol) don’t normally promise anything. Instead they’ll say “we’ll compete for a national title”. There’s a big difference when you’re saying it publicly.

I mean it doesn’t matter to me at all if you promise it or say you’ll compete for one but one of those statements gets noticed while the other one is business as usual. Coaches in different sports in the past have gotten burned before by using that line.

I just mentioned Mack bc I was talking about this upcoming year in which louisville will hopefully be a contender for the title. Not bc I think he’s worthy of being Compared to the hof coaches I mentioned. I just picked the top 5-6 preseason ranked teams coming into this year. Just so happens this year the other preseason top ranked teams have HoF coaches, besides Louisville and Memphis.

Also he said “I think to myself” we are gonna win the national title. That’s not the same to me as guaranteeing or promising a NC. He didn’t guarantee or promise anything. He thinks to himself that he thinks they have the best team in the nation, do you not think the other preseason top 4-5 teams’ coaches don’t think the same thing? Now I will agree that saying it publicly wasn’t the smartest move, and calling out the other programs was definitely stupid, but he is basically a rookie coach and obv has some things to learn with regards to the media and really everything.

I used to “think to myself” Rick Pitino was a goodperson, and the best person to lead our basketball program, and I was dead wrong. But I never guaranteed or promised he was a good person, bc ive never met the man.

I will concede had he not said “I think to myself” and just flat out said “we are gonna win the national title this year” I would agree with you.

And don’t get me wrong I hate Memphis, have since we were in conference USA together. I just think this is making a mountain out of a molehill.

Last edited:
And I also disagree that Memphis doesn’t have national buzz coming into this season. They are gonna be ranked top 10 in the nation starting off the season with a new coach who is a household name from his nba days, whose bringing in an amazing recruiting class in which wiseman might turn out to be the best freshman In the nation. Hell LSU has national buzz in Ben Simmons only year and they didn’t even make the tourney.

I do agree they haven’t had any national buzz since Cal left, but they certainly have a reason to be excited about this upcoming season.

I don’t get the hype. All I see is James Wiseman and a bunch of unproven low 5 stars and 4 stars. Am I missing something? Add to it they have no experience.

I don’t get the hype. All I see is James Wiseman and a bunch of unproven low 5 stars and 4 stars. Am I missing something? Add to it they have no experience.
Well, Penny played in the NBA

That… ..that's about it

I honestly feel like Memphis could make a lot of noise in the tourney.

Memphis will play KU or UK as early as the NCAA can schedule it in this years tourney, book it and its a terrible year for them to play either of them..

Couldn’t UM fans say they don’t get the hype around UK? PG that doesn’t shoot well, 5 star big men that have been underwhelming so far in their respective careers, unproven freshmen, etc. just saying no team is perfect, well besides Iowa of course.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
Couldn’t UM fans say they don’t get the hype around UK? PG that doesn’t shoot well, 5 star big men that have been underwhelming so far in their respective careers, unproven freshmen, etc. just saying no team is perfect, well besides Iowa of course.
tenor.gif

I’m not gif savvy enough to understand what a gif of a heartbeat flatlining means or has to do with my post.

I’m not trolling I just don’t understand.

Anything can happen, but I'd expect them to be playing in the 6/11 game on Thursday, not sure if they will be the 6 or 11.

But...but OUR unproven freshmen are ranked a little higher!

It really is a great thing.
After watching our pro day, we're not ready for MSU. We're going to rely tremendously on our defense.

I feel like we're going to get smacked in the mouth early again. Let's see how we respond.

We only have 4 returning players, 5 freshman, and one grad transfer. It's going to take some time, but rinse and repeat.Not being a complete homer, but I'm pretty amazed by our results the last 10 years with this method of madness. To add to it, it happens with Calipari just rolling the ball out.

Last edited:
Reactions: denniden
Surprised in UKs success when they usually have one of if not the most talented rosters in the nation?

Being the UK hater I am, I feel like cal should have two more natty’s. His first season with wall, cousins, Bledsoe, Patterson, and of course the 2015 38-1 team. But also I realize they call it March madness for a reason and anything can happen in a one game setting.

Now I’m not saying cal has been unsuccessful or hasn’t lived up to expectations bc his win percentage and final four appearances are ridiculous. I just personally don’t think making the final four is as great as the fans/media make it out to be. Mainly bc not all Final Fours are the same. Plus no other sport (except possibly College football now that they have a 4 team playoff) celebrates teams that make and lose in the playoff semi finals. I mean in college basketball making the final four and losing the first game is just as noteworthy or meaningful as losing in the title game.

I can explain my stance further but I doubt anyone cares.

Surprised in UKs success when they usually have one of if not the most talented rosters in the nation?

Being the UK hater I am, I feel like cal should have two more natty’s. His first season with wall, cousins, Bledsoe, Patterson, and of course the 2015 38-1 team. But also I realize they call it March madness for a reason and anything can happen in a one game setting.

Now I’m not saying cal has been unsuccessful or hasn’t lived up to expectations bc his win percentage and final four appearances are ridiculous. I just personally don’t think making the final four is as great as the fans/media make it out to be. Mainly bc not all Final Fours are the same. Plus no other sport (except possibly College football now that they have a 4 team playoff) celebrates teams that make and lose in the playoff semi finals. I mean in college basketball making the final four and losing the first game is just as noteworthy or meaningful as losing in the title game.

I can explain my stance further but I doubt anyone cares.
Could you imagine rooting for a team that doesn't make 7 Elite 8's, 4 FF's, 2 Championship games, and a title in the last 10 years? Or rooting for a team that doesn't recruit so much talent and produces so many 1st round draft picks, Lottery picks and #1 picks, that rivals use their success against them? That would suck. They're losing in every way.

"You're failing in ways we could only hope for". RollLaugh

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT