ADVERTISEMENT

Penny GUARANTEES the National Title

Link? tia

*nvm. got it.

"“What do I know?” he says. “I know when I have something special. When I see this group in action, see their abilities, I know what’s at stake and I know what’s out there. The teams like Michigan State, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, all the usual suspects. I’ve studied the film. I know who they are, but when I look at this group, I just say to myself, ‘We’re going to win a national championship.’ That’s what I know."

https://theathletic.com/1258524/201...l-championship/#click=https://t.co/T2ONyKRMgB

If a proven coach had the same roster, they’d be considered a favorite. If he’s got coaching ability, there’s no reason for him not to be confident.

Reactions: bern1955
Penny saying what he did is better than him saying he has no chance and his team isn't that good. I don't think much of his coaching, yet, but this is not something I will take him to task for.

Link? tia

*nvm. got it.

"“What do I know?” he says. “I know when I have something special. When I see this group in action, see their abilities, I know what’s at stake and I know what’s out there. The teams like Michigan State, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, all the usual suspects. I’ve studied the film. I know who they are, but when I look at this group, I just say to myself, ‘We’re going to win a national championship.’ That’s what I know."

https://theathletic.com/1258524/201...l-championship/#click=https://t.co/T2ONyKRMgB

Don't see anything real wrong with this...a simple case of cart before horse is all. He's excited as he should be, new position in life, great recruiting class etc. That said, I think there are at LEAST 5 or more teams that would beat them by 10+.

Don't see anything real wrong with this...a simple case of cart before horse is all. He's excited as he should be, new position in life, great recruiting class etc. That said, I think there are at LEAST 5 or more teams that would beat them by 10+.

Kentucky Mich State

I just don't think Penny is very smart. He can recruit though and we'll see if he can coach. He has some talent.

I just don't think Penny is very smart. He can recruit though and we'll see if he can coach. He has some talent.
He might just be inexperienced. Promising a national title hasn’t seemed to work out well in the past for some coaches. It’s really not something you should ever say.

Penny is trying to create a buzz around Memphis, he's went after UT/Barnes, he's went after UK/Cal, and he's going against Duke/KU/MSU. He's talking shit to get a buzz around the program.

We'll see if his ass can cash the checks his mouth is writing.

Seems like a team that can dunk over and destroy some trash mid major but will be clueless when it comes to defending ball screens and taking good shots

Reactions: olsonab
They really did choose the right four teams initially. I'm glad they stuck with said teams.

You can possibly make the case that two of those teams deserve to be in over UNC, only one of them for sure. It is still a fun tournament though. I think it should be called the Champions (Kentucky) Classic with Others.

You can possibly make the case that two of those teams deserve to be in over UNC, only one of them for sure. It is still a fun tournament though. I think it should be called the Champions (Kentucky) Classic with Others.
Do you think it should change every three years ,and if so, who would you think should be there sides KU, Mich St, and Duke.

UNC, UK and who?

UNC and Kentucky plays in the CBS Sports Classic, Maybe they can alternate the years where we don't play twice. Duke and UNC can't play OOC.

What other teams can stand the test of time? The core has been good if not great every year. When it was first developed UNC wasn't setting the world on fire.

Seriously name another team that is constantly good to great year after year. I think they nailed it with the core four. IU/Arizona/Gonsaga/Villinova/UL/ seriously,who would you replace?

*how I know they got it right, if you look at the Champions Classic stats/win loss records, it's really close between the teams.

They have to have 4 teams from 4 different conferences. There's no way UNC replaces Duke, and IU isn't going to replace MSU. No SEC team is going to replace UK and no Big 12 team is going to replace KU.

**This is all for not, it's already renewed for another 3 years.

Last edited:
Do you think it should change every three years ,and if so, who would you think should be there sides KU, Mich St, and Duke.

UNC, UK and who?

UNC and Kentucky plays in the CBS Sports Classic, Maybe they can alternate the years where we don't play twice.

What other teams can stand the test of time? The core has been good if not great every year. When it was first developed UNC wasn't setting the world on fire.

Seriously name another team that is constantly good to great year after year. I think they nailed it with the core four. IU/Arizona/Gonsaga/Villinova/UL/ seriously,who would you replace?

It would be too difficult to alternate. I'm just saying without UNC it really can't be the perfect mix of teams for a Champions Classic. I mean, the 70s is the last decade where UNC didn't win a title.

When did it start? 2011? Two years after UNC had one of the best teams ever and won a title? They had a down year the next year but didn't suck after that. And they are one team you know will be back up soon. Just saying MSU and KU are in it and have less Championships combined than UNC does and the Heels have every bit as good, or better, in the modern era or any era.

So it just can't be the perfect core without UNC if you brand it the Champions Classic.

It would be too difficult to alternate. I'm just saying without UNC it really can't be the perfect mix of teams for a Champions Classic. I mean, the 70s is the last decade where UNC didn't win a title.

When did it start? 2011? Two years after UNC had one of the best teams ever and won a title? They had a down year the next year but didn't suck after that. And they are one team you know will be back up soon. Just saying MSU and KU are in it and have less Championships combined than UNC does and the Heels have every bit as good, or better, in the modern era or any era.

So it just can't be the perfect core without UNC if you brand it the Champions Classic.
UNC can't replace MSU and KU. Duke was chose over UNC. Maybe it was due to UK and UNC still having the home and home series at the time. UNC still has the CBS Sports classic with Ohio St, UCLA, and UK.

I'm just glad UK is part of both.

I don't think we'll ever see a change due to our CC records. There's too much invested for the schools, committee and the fanbases at this point. Big 12, Big 10, ACC, and SEC.

UNC can't replace MSU and KU. Duke was chose over UNC. Maybe it was due to UK and UNC still having the home and home series at the time. UNC still has the CBS Sports classic with Ohio St, UCLA, and UK.

I get why they choose Duke. The hype on Duke is unreal and has been for a while. Hell, ESPN had a random dude in Duke practice doing a pretty pedestrian dunk the other day as the third best play of the night. I know they won't take both Duke and UNC. Just saying it can't really be taken seriously as the perfect four teams for a Champions Classic without one of the premier champions of basically any era in the sport.

I get why they choose Duke. The hype on Duke is unreal and has been for a while. Hell, ESPN had a random dude in Duke practice doing a pretty pedestrian dunk the other day as the third best play of the night. I know they won't take both Duke and UNC. Just saying it can't really be taken seriously as the perfect four teams for a Champions Classic without one of the premier champions of basically any era in the sport.

Don't you guys have, or had a UNC blog on ESPN.com. I remember a whole ESPN link dedicated to nothing but UNC updates. Maybe it's stopped by now, but don't talk about Duke bias on ESPN.

***It's still there. Notice you're the only one's in the drop down box.

Untitled.png

Don't you guys have, or had a UNC blog on ESPN.com. I remember a whole ESPN link dedicated to nothing but UNC updates.

It was there somewhere a few years ago. It wasn't very well done tbh. Was kind of lame and not really full of much info or anything.

We'll see if they get more hype now with the star freshman though.

It was there somewhere a few years ago. It wasn't very well done tbh. Was kind of lame and not really full of much info or anything.

We'll see if they get more hype now with the star freshman though.
read my edit above.

https://www.espn.com/blog/north-carolina-basketball

It's clearly kept up to date.

Duke, UK and KU doesn't get that kind of bias from ESPN. Isn't the guy in charge of ESPN a UNC grad? Is that still true?

Last edited:
read my edit above.

https://www.espn.com/blog/north-carolina-basketball

It's clearly kept up to date.

Duke, UK and KU doesn't get that kind of bias from ESPN.

If you really think UNC gets as much love and pub from ESPN as Duke and UK, especially Duke, you are doing a crappy job of trolling. That blog links random stories. Like I said, it is pretty boring. I don't even know where to find it and I'm a pretty big fan. UNC gets more love than most programs being UNC. Duke is the star student and you guys aren't far behind. It has been that way since Cal and K have dominated the OAD landscape because of the NBA angle.

If you really think UNC gets as much love and pub from ESPN as Duke and UK, especially Duke, you are doing a crappy job of trolling. That blog links random stories. Like I said, it is pretty boring. I don't even know where to find it and I'm a pretty big fan. UNC gets more love than most programs being UNC. Duke is the star student and you guys aren't far behind. It has been that way since Cal and K have dominated the OAD landscape because of the NBA angle.
I didn't see Duke in the dropdown box. Only up-to-date UNC news.

..and I'm clearly not trolling, just pointing out links.

Roy's recent recruiting is getting to more of you guys than I thought it would tbh.

Roy's recent recruiting is getting to more of you guys than I thought it would tbh.
Catching up? Switching to OAD's? You're not getting to us, we've been doing this for years. That's what makes it strange for ESPN to cater to only UNC. I do enjoy a good strawman.

Catching up? Switching to OAD's? You're not getting to us, we've been doing this for years. That's what makes it strange for ESPN to cater to only UNC.

They may eventually start paying more attention to the Heels now, especially if they end up with the top class next year. We'll see.

They may eventually start paying more attention to the Heels now, especially if they end up with the top class next year. We'll see.
How can they start paying more attention, create another blog specifically to UNC recruiting?

UNC does currently have the #3 recruiting class.Just behind UK and Duke. But we know what UNC fans say about recruiting titles, same as they said about OAD's. "we don't need them".

This has been somewhat entertaining but way down on your list.

How can they start paying more attention, create another blog specifically to UNC recruiting?

UNC does currently have the #3 recruiting class.Just behind UK and Duke. But we know what UNC fans say about recruiting titles, same as they said about OAD's. "we don't need them".

It will be interesting to see how Roy does with more OAD types. I know he is pretty tight with Cal so maybe he will get some pointers from him. Wouldn't be a bad idea. Cal does do a good job of it.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
ADVERTISEMENT