ADVERTISEMENT

OT: KU Campus flies defaced American Flag

File it under reason #349279 why Trump won, why the GOP will keep the House and expand the Senate in 2018, and why Trump will win in 2020.
This is the dumbest thing I have read this week. Trump is gonna win again because of a shitty art installation in Kansas? He very well may win again while the GOP takes more seats in Congress (very unlikely, but possible), but the world isn't quite that simple.

Its purpose is allowing the creator to express whatever feelings/message they wanted to. Art isn't just for looking pretty. As I said above, this seems like crappy, low effort art... but anyone offended by this is the literal definition of a snowflake.
I agree that people who say they wont support the university anymore if its not taken down are idiots. But intentionally using the flag knowing it will piss people off is not the same as being provocative---it serves no purpose. The thing about it is.....they crave/want this type of reaction from flag supporters---its what gives them attention. Call it idiotic and move on.

What's worrisome about things like this is the herd mentality. Does anyone gather facts and form their own opinions anymore?

Even articulate girls like this are so easily brainwashed. CNN tells them that Trump grabs women by the pussy and without a second thought they reach for the pitchfork and devote their entire lives to bringing that bastard down.

No, I'm not a Trump fanboy, but I do support his views on a few issues. And I couldn't care less about the president's morality if he's doing a decent job. Clinton could have had interns lined up to blow him every hour for all I cared.

This partisan brainwashing is out of control. People are so easily manipulated. Isn't it pretty obvious by now that these are little more than figureheads? He's certainly less of a puppet than Obama, but a figurehead nonetheless.

Last edited:
Reactions: toonces11
And---the art lasted one day. Apparently we are still in Kansas. Maybe we can do a go fund me to get this artist a window pole to hang his flag art on his vehicle.

CNN tells them that Trump grabs women by the pussy and that's that. Reach for the pitchfork and devote your entire life to bringing that bastard down.
That statement was made by Trump... not CNN (who didn't break the story). It was on tape...

The country is certainly too partisan, but reporting direct quotes from an individual is hardly "brainwashing".

Reactions: KisteK
That statement was made by Trump... not CNN (who didn't break the story). It was on tape...

The country is certainly too partisan, but reporting direct quotes from an individual is hardly "brainwashing".

The sheer amount of coverage is the brainwashing. If that were Obama, you can't actually believe it would've received the same coverage. Instead it would have been Fox forcing their agenda down our throats.

Are you seriously denying that mainstream media brainwashes and indoctrinates the masses? Or are you just defending CNN?

The sheer amount of coverage is the brainwashing. If that were Obama, you can't actually believe it would've received the same coverage. Instead it would have been Fox forcing their agenda down our throats.

Are you seriously denying that mainstream media brainwashes and indoctrinates the masses? Or are you just defending CNN?
There is no substance to your statement at all. I'm denying that stating an objective and easily verifiable fact is brainwashing. That is called telling the truth. It's not like the story was that Trump is a secret Muslim born in Kenya who heads ISIS.

What does CNN have to do with the grab em by the pussy story anyways? That was broken by Access Hollywood... And yes, I will defend CNN (and any institution employing actual journalists). Journalism is very important to an informed populace. They may not get everything right the first time (news is the first version of history, stories change as facts and new information comes to light), but they print corrections and retractions when they get things wrong.

PS: What is there to even defend in this situation? I'm having trouble following your (lack of) logic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big_Blue79
Americans died for the right of this untalented hack artist to deface the national flag.

This is what makes our country great. If you don't like it, just ignore and move on with your life.

I love how riled up libs and conservatives are getting these days.

Who does it positively affect? What purpose does it serve than to rile up the majority of americans who hold the flag sacred? The only thing thats makes it a big deal is the purpose behind it---its sole purpose is to use the flag to stir shit up--thats it. Its cheap, its lazy, and its played out. I have zero doubts the entire goal was to create a media shitstorm to gain attention. Its sad
ART.
IS.
PROVOCATIVE.

It positively affects anyone who chooses to use its viewing as a a means of thinking about new things. The artist in this case said it represented the current polarization in the country. (Ironically, discussing the appropriateness of the piece shows that point to me more than the flag itself.)

And why would anyone ever think it was displayed to remain anonymous? Sparking discussion via art isn't some hidden, attention-seeking agenda. BMLD that the artist may have wanted attention. Hide your sketch book with your diary if you want to keep it secret.

If you hold the physical flag itself sacred without holding far more sacred the freedoms it represents -- including the freedom to besmirch the symbol of that very freedom -- then you're practicing idolatry.

The governor of Kansas called the KU Chancellor and now the flag is gone. Now conservatives can claim another victory and holler, "Wooooo, MAGA!" on repeat without challenging themselves to think yet again.

There is no substance to your statement at all. I'm denying that stating an objective and easily verifiable fact is brainwashing. That is called telling the truth. It's not like the story was that Trump is a secret Muslim born in Kenya who heads ISIS.

What does CNN have to do with the grab em by the pussy story anyways? That was broken by Access Hollywood... And yes, I will defend CNN (and any institution employing actual journalists). Journalism is very important to an informed populace. They may not get everything right the first time (news is the first version of history, stories change as facts and new information comes to light), but they print corrections and retractions when they get things wrong.

PS: What is there to even defend in this situation? I'm having trouble following your (lack of) logic.

You're getting bogged down in details.

The point is that all mainstream media outlets push their agenda on the masses. The idea of someone like Anderson Cooper being an unbiased "journalist" is laughable.

Again, no one is arguing that stating a fact is brainwashing in itself. When it's covered endlessly it becomes part of an agenda. No chance in hell that Obama receives that level of coverage for the same issue. There are better examples of media bias, but that had a major impact on the way the public viewed Trump and almost singlehandedly ensured that millions of people would vote the other way.

Then again, that might be giving CNN (and MSNBC) a little too much credit given their plummeting ratings. Due, I might add, to a credibility crisis.

Last edited:
Reactions: mebeblue2
I thought art is something that’s created by the artist? She threw black paint on the American flag, that’s art?

Why didn’t she use her crayons and draw a flag on a piece of paper and then throw black paint all over it?

It’s a rhetorical question, I already know the answer.

And Trump is awesome Preston. You should get in line. Still 6 years left with him as your POTUS buddy. :)
Art is art. This is evident now by all the incredible weird and seemingly odd portrayals of we someone interprets as “art.” What I consider talented, thought provoking, or really good, may be trash to someone else. Art is undefinable, and individual.

Trump, however is universal. Universally, he’s as train wreck and an embarrassment. You are probably correct though, I think he’ll more than likely get re-elected. Too many stuburn people out there that won’t admit they are continually wrong, and blind.

You're getting bogged down in details.

The point is that all mainstream media outlets push their agenda on the masses. The idea of someone like Anderson Cooper being an unbiased "journalist" is laughable.

Again, no one is arguing that stating a fact is brainwashing in itself. When it's covered endlessly it becomes part of an agenda. No chance in hell that Obama receives that level of coverage for the same issue. There are better examples of media bias, but that had a major impact on the way the public viewed Trump and almost singlehandedly ensured that millions of people would vote the other way.

Then again, that might be giving CNN (and MSNBC) a little too much credit given their plummeting ratings. Due, I might add, to a credibility crisis.
I'm getting "bogged down in the details" of logical reasoning. Your argument does not make sense, and the points you are trying to make are irrelevant to this conversation. Why did you even mention CNN? You are literally all over the place.

That said, playing a video of someone saying something is not brainwashing, period. Reporting on what people do or say is not brainwashing. That is called reporting facts. If the media reporting facts bothers you, then it sounds like your issues lie with accepting reality.

CNN tells them that Trump grabs women by the pussy and that's that. Reach for the pitchfork and devote your entire life to bringing that bastard down.

I agree about reporting a direct quote isn't brainwashing. However reporting it and then acting like nearly every adult male hasn't said something extremely vulgar before that they wouldn't want admitted.

I seriously laughed watching all of these old guys go on tv and talk about how horrible this is. Acting like they would never in a million years say something similar.....BULLSHIT!

I thank God that I'm a nobody and no ones walking around recording the stupid things I've said.

Reactions: toonces11
When I think of things that are "not mainstream," I don't think "doesn't push their agenda." In fact, they're more likely to be extremists, in my observation.

The idea that any human being is unbiased is laughable. And "unbiased" is not synonymous w/ "credible," nor are "biased" and "credible" mutually exclusive. That we're aware of Cooper's leanings is not in and of itself a mark against his credibility as a journalist.

I agree about reporting a direct quote isn't brainwashing. However reporting it and then acting like nearly every adult male hasn't said something extremely vulgar before that they wouldn't want admitted.
Acting as if everyone's having said something like that makes it no big deal is illogical. "Everybody does it" is an excuse that should have been taken out of the playbook by high school.

Acting as if everyone's having said something like that makes it no big deal is illogical. "Everybody does it" is an excuse that should have been taken out of the playbook by high school.

For any reporter to take the position that Trump is bad for saying this without also acknowledging that they've done something similar is dishonest and misleading.

For any reporter to take the position that Trump is bad for saying this without also acknowledging that they've done something similar is dishonest and misleading.
What point are you trying to make? Are you saying most journalists do what Trump described?

I seriously laughed watching all of these old guys go on tv and talk about how horrible this is. Acting like they would never in a million years say something similar.....BULLSHIT!

I thank God that I'm a nobody and no ones walking around recording the stupid things I've said.
I know exactly 0 people who have told me they walk up and grab women's genitals. What crowd do you run with where you think that's normal?

ART.
IS.
PROVOCATIVE.

It positively affects anyone who chooses to use its viewing as a a means of thinking about new things. The artist in this case said it represented the current polarization in the country. (Ironically, discussing the appropriateness of the piece shows that point to me more than the flag itself.)

And why would anyone ever think it was displayed to remain anonymous? Sparking discussion via art isn't some hidden, attention-seeking agenda. BMLD that the artist may have wanted attention. Hide your sketch book with your diary if you want to keep it secret.

If you hold the physical flag itself sacred without holding far more sacred the freedoms it represents -- including the freedom to besmirch the symbol of that very freedom -- then you're practicing idolatry.

The governor of Kansas called the KU Chancellor and now the flag is gone. Now conservatives can claim another victory and holler, "Wooooo, MAGA!" on repeat without challenging themselves to think yet again.
I'm from a military family so my view of the flag is probably different from others. I'm not flag crazy or act like its some all important shroud---and shouldn't have used the term sacred. It is about what it stands for---but i don't have a problem with flag bikinis, flag swim trunks, flag bed spreads----i just think its in poor taste to do something to the flag that isn't celebrating it. I personally wouldn't alter a flag myself bc it wouldn't cross my mind to. It is its own thing and i choose to stand during the anthem and choose to respect it when its customary. I guess my biggest problem with the artist is its entirely played out. Its unoriginal. Its like jumping on the flag controversy bandwagon and riding the coattails. Its def provacative---but imo for all the wrong reasons. Also it probably shouldn't be flown on a university flag pole and was taken down fairly quickly---b/c it was known before during and after it would anger people---so whats the point in that? Come up with something original b/c all this perceived nonsense disrespecting the flag is played out.

I know exactly 0 people who have told me they walk up and grab women's genitals. What crowd do you run with where you think that's normal?

So you're saying that you have never said something vulgar about her body ? I've never heard that phrase he said before it was played. So, I've never said that exact words before either. But I'm willing to admit that I have made vulgar comments about females before.

I'm completely fine with pointing out how this mindset is wrong. I'm also ready to try and get males to stop talking and thinking about this every time a attractive female walks by. If this was the position the media had taken....great. but instead, it was that the issue is with trump, not all males in general.

In regards to the original topic, I think its horrible when people do this to the flag. Its disgusting and it's just as bad when people act like it's no big deal because its supposed to be art.

With that said, I completely think that it's that persons right to be able to do that. I don't support what she/he did, but I support their right to be able to do it. For me, it's the same as the Confederate flag issue. I don't agree with someone flying it, but I do support their right to be able to.

I don't think that a public university who accepts federal money should be allowed to fly it. Just like I don't think they should be allowed to fly the Confederate flag. If it was a private school, that's a completely different situation.

#1, they aren't saying he's bad. They're reporting it, then reporting on reaction to it.
#2, no, not every guy has grabbed someone else by the genitals. No, not every guy has said similar things, and certainly not into their 60s. The last locker room where I heard that kind of talk was when I was in high school, 25+ years ago. You're assuming they've done something and are withholding it. That's an unfalsifiable position to take.
#3, that any of them may have done something like that is irrelevant to whether it's something of interest regarding a Presidential candidate.

Art is supposed to be provocative. I don't know or really care what the artist's intent was, though. Getting bent out of shape because somebody dared to modify the American Flag in some way is lame.
If nobody gets "bent out of shape", is it really provocative?

i just think its in poor taste to do something to the flag that isn't celebrating it.
As a symbol of America, there are things that shouldn't be celebrated. There are things we should be embarrassed about.

And it's less likely we can have those discussions and work toward those solutions when all y'all choose to do is criticize the method, whether it's kneeling, blocking traffic, or desecrating the flag.

I'm getting "bogged down in the details" of logical reasoning. Your argument does not make sense, and the points you are trying to make are irrelevant to this conversation. Why did you even mention CNN? You are literally all over the place.

That said, playing a video of someone saying something is not brainwashing, period. Reporting on what people do or say is not brainwashing. That is called reporting facts. If the media reporting facts bothers you, then it sounds like your issues lie with accepting reality.

I never said that reporting a story is brainwashing. Again, it's about the sheer amount of coverage that certain stories receive. And the commentary. And omissions. Reports make up a pretty small % of airtime relative to their one-sided commentary on the issues.

What's irrelevant is arguing endlessly over the "pussy grab" story. That was one little example of how MSM can shape public opinion. But I think we all know that if there were similar dirt on Hillary or Obama, the tape wouldn't have been played endlessly on CNN or MSNBC. Do you deny that?

Instead it would've been shown endlessly on Fox. Which goes back to my original point. The masses are brainwashed into feeling it's necessary to choose a side. Fox vs MSNBC/CNN. Left vs right. Dem vs R. One asshole establishment candidate vs another (who love to get together and play golf when they're not pretending to hate each other). And people will put all their energy into supporting and attacking each side of a two-headed monster.

I never said that reporting a story is brainwashing. Again, it's about the sheer amount of coverage that certain stories receive. And the commentary. And omissions. Reports make up a pretty small % of airtime relative to their one-sided commentary on the issues.

What's irrelevant is arguing endlessly over the "pussy grab" story. That was one little example of how MSM can shape public opinion. But I think we all know that if there were similar dirt on Hillary or Obama, the tape wouldn't have been played endlessly on CNN or MSNBC. Do you deny that?

Instead it would've been shown endlessly on Fox. Which goes back to my original point. The masses are brainwashed into feeling it's necessary to choose a side. Fox vs MSNBC/CNN. Left vs right. Dem vs R. One asshole establishment candidate vs another (who love to get together and play golf when they're not pretending to hate each other). And people will put all their energy into supporting and attacking each side of a two-headed monster.
I've always figured that politicians say the most hateful and nasty things to/about one another for the cameras in order to get people to dig in and choose sides. Then go have a beer together and watch their shitshow on tv and laugh at us suckers. It has worked amazingly over the past decade.

I've always figured that politicians say the most hateful and nasty things to/about one another for the cameras in order to get people to dig in and choose sides. Then go have a beer together and watch their shitshow on tv and laugh at us suckers. It has worked amazingly over the past decade.

As I've gotten older and my kids are growing up, I've opened up my eyes a lot. One thing I realized is that both parties and all these politicians, the ones us normal people argue and defend at all costs dont give a damn about. You see them constantly flip back and forth depending on whose in office.

Before Trump started with all the Mexican stuff, the all voted for a border wall and more security at the border. Schumer even a few years back said that anyone who crosses the border illegally is a criminal and should be treated like one. Now you've got those same people literally standing in front of a press pool with tears in there eyes over trumps plan to build a wall. Those same people are saying that your heartless if you want to treat these people like criminals.

The only reason I gave a Democrat example is because a Republican is in the office. When Obama was in office it was the Republicans turn to flip flop and oppose anything he wanted to do.

Neither party gives a damn about us and anyone who thinks their side of politicians are the "good guys" are nothing more then fools!

This is the dumbest thing I have read this week. Trump is gonna win again because of a shitty art installation in Kansas? He very well may win again while the GOP takes more seats in Congress (very unlikely, but possible), but the world isn't quite that simple.
This is just one of the reasons Trump will win. Not because of this particular incident but thousands like it. The far left is so stupid they think the average American doesn't care but we do and we need to take back this country from idiots like this. If you don't respect this country then leave.

Reactions: jace46555
This is just one of the reasons Trump will win. Not because of this particular incident but thousands like it. The far left is so stupid they think the average American doesn't care but we do and we need to take back this country from idiots like this. If you don't respect this country then leave.

Ic Trump does win, it won't be because Trump won over the people. If will because the people got tired of doing this type of stuff and the protesting of every possible thing. At this point, imo since trumps not going to become a person people love, if he wants to win he's better off doing ev9more to piss off the liberals.

If the Democrats took the approach of doing everything they can to work with him...even if it's just an act imo they would do better during the next election. however ,the IMF going to proudly take up the mantra of resistance, its going to wear on middle America. Then you throw in the protesting everything, constantly hearing celebrities preaching to you, late night shows hammering him and the media treat him worse then any other president. Its going to open up a path for him that shouldn't be there.

The most telling thing about this thread is that you think its laughable that someone would care about the flag and represents.

No matter what side your on, I didn't expect to find anyone who would think something like that would be laughable.
Question. What’s more of an issue in your opinion, systemic racism, or an art project where a flag was desecrated?

Last edited:
The most telling thing about this thread is that you think its laughable that someone would care about the flag and represents.

No matter what side your on, I didn't expect to find anyone who would think something like that would be laughable.
Question. What’s more of an issue in your opinion, systemic racism, or an art project where a flag was desecrated?

I've made my position known many times here. I don't like it and I think its horrible to do. But more importantly I support their right to do it...because of what that flag means.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT