ADVERTISEMENT

OT: KU Campus flies defaced American Flag

I love art. I think art plays a tremendous role in defining cultures and individuality around the world, but don't f***ing fling paint all over my nation's flag and tell me that it's okay because it 'represents the polarizing nature of our nation' or anything like that. Too many people died for that flag for somebody to use it as a canvas for a damn art project.

Oh, this is a distraction alright

tenor.gif

Reactions: npreston
Is this where I say, disrespecting the flag is the kind of shit only liberals care to do?

I don't think it is true. I am certain there are liberals out there that care about this.

That’s fair. And there are probably thin skinned liberals it annoys as well. It is typically conservatives who typically get wrapped up in patriotic symbolism and typically make it a serious discussion.

I have a hard time criticizing Muslims for taking offense when Muhammed is defaced as well. But that’s pretty thin skinned too.

That’s fair. And there are probably thin skinned liberals it annoys as well. It is typically conservatives who typically get wrapped up in patriotic symbolism and typically make it a serious discussion.

I have a hard time criticizing Muslims for taking offense when Muhammed is defaced as well. But that’s pretty thin skinned too.
My outrage over disrespecting the flag is a lot lower now than it used to be. I still don't care for it, but it really has no effect on my life. It's something to talk about on Rivals though.

I love art. I think art plays a tremendous role in defining cultures and individuality around the world, but don't f***ing fling paint all over my nation's flag and tell me that it's okay because it 'represents the polarizing nature of our nation' or anything like that. Too many people died for that flag for somebody to use it as a canvas for a damn art project.
The same people died to protect the freedom to desecrate the symbol of that freedom.

It's art. Art is provocative. It's not a political statement by KU. It's an example of KU's being balanced enough not to get up in arms over an artistic expression.

The art department flew it at their building---what do you expect from liberal art students. Whats next, bloody vagina displays for feminism?

If it was the KU admin that created it, I'd be pissed (using your public position for political reasons is a big no-no). Since it is apparently an art exhibit (?? TL;DR), my only reaction is that it is shitty and cliche as art.

It’s art, I’m totally ok with it. Besides, anyone who wants to take a shot at Trump, is cool with me.

I thought art is something that’s created by the artist? She threw black paint on the American flag, that’s art?

Why didn’t she use her crayons and draw a flag on a piece of paper and then throw black paint all over it?

It’s a rhetorical question, I already know the answer.

And Trump is awesome Preston. You should get in line. Still 6 years left with him as your POTUS buddy. :)

Reactions: mebeblue2
Who does this negatively effect? The US flag is cool and I like it a lot, but I can't figure out why I'm supposed to be upset about somebody printing a picture on it and a university flying it as part of an art installment. Is the implication that the artist and/or university are disrespecting the country and therefore unpatriotic? If so, that's a heck of a leap to make.

Who does this negatively effect? The US flag is cool and I like it a lot, but I can't figure out why I'm supposed to be upset about somebody printing a picture on it and a university flying it as part of an art installment. Is the implication that the artist and/or university are disrespecting the country and therefore unpatriotic? If so, that's a heck of a leap to make.
Who does it positively affect? What purpose does it serve than to rile up the majority of americans who hold the flag sacred? The only thing thats makes it a big deal is the purpose behind it---its sole purpose is to use the flag to stir shit up--thats it. Its cheap, its lazy, and its played out. I have zero doubts the entire goal was to create a media shitstorm to gain attention. Its sad

Who does it positively affect? What purpose does it serve than to rile up the majority of americans who hold the flag sacred? The only thing thats makes it a big deal is the purpose behind it---its sole purpose is to use the flag to stir shit up--thats it. Its cheap, its lazy, and its played out. I have zero doubts the entire goal was to create a media shitstorm to gain attention. Its sad

Art is supposed to be provocative. I don't know or really care what the artist's intent was, though. Getting bent out of shape because somebody dared to modify the American Flag in some way is lame.

Its purpose is allowing the creator to express whatever feelings/message they wanted to. Art isn't just for looking pretty. As I said above, this seems like crappy, low effort art... but anyone offended by this is the literal definition of a snowflake.

File it under reason #349279 why Trump won, why the GOP will keep the House and expand the Senate in 2018, and why Trump will win in 2020.

Reactions: mebeblue2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT