ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off-Season Thread****

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what we’ve been told, it shouldn’t matter too much, but that’s a long ways away. The older brother is going to be a great guard for you. Booker will pair nicely.
Yeah we’ve got a few years to worry about that one.

Fears and Booker will be nice, but we need some in between guys. If we don’t land Devin Royal, I know we have 2 4 stars coming in for OV’s this weekend in Coen Carr and Gehrig Normand.

michael-keaton.gif
North Texas, Arkansas LR, St Peters...

Who's next?

5-9 in your last 14 games.

29 pieced in the first time playing an actual tourney game.

Improvements better be made.
Pretty sure improvements were made....6-4 last 10 games. Made BTT semi-finals,losing on a 30-foot prayer...Beat Michigan and well, Illinois. Lost by 2 @ Purdue, with a chance to win...Went 1-1 in NCAAT.

Lots of close games: 6 of 11 B10 losses by 5 or fewer, one in OT.

Like where this team was at the end of year....Like the pieces coming back, and coming in.

Its weird, you act as if teams cannot improve......Yet you are chapping your lips on a team that basically lost everyone...

Good luck this year.

Some MSU insiders seeming really confident about Xavier Booker.

I’ll believe if when I see the pen hit the paper on signing day (same with Fears). Recruiting is too damn fluid now.

Pretty sure improvements were made....6-4 last 10 games. Made BTT semi-finals,losing on a 30-foot prayer...Beat Michigan and well, Illinois. Lost by 2 @ Purdue, with a chance to win...Went 1-1 in NCAAT.

Lots of close games: 6 of 11 B10 losses by 5 or fewer, one in OT.

Like where this team was at the end of year....Like the pieces coming back, and coming in.

Its weird, you act as if teams cannot improve......Yet you are chapping your lips on a team that basically lost everyone...

Good luck this year.
You won 5 games to end the season after starting the season 16-5. That’s pathetic.

Btw-When is the last time a team has won the conference when going under .500 the season before? Long time I bet.

You won 5 games to end the season after starting the season 16-5. That’s pathetic.

Btw-When is the last time a team has won the conference when going under .500 the season before? Long time I bet.
My god you’re being such a fücking loser. You literally predicted them to finish second in the league so quit acting like you think they’re going to be terrible this coming year. No Indiana fan is in here saying they’re going to dominate the league next year

My god you’re being such a fücking loser. You literally predicted them to finish second in the league so quit acting like you think they’re going to be terrible this coming year. No Indiana fan is in here saying they’re going to dominate the league next year
Never said terrible.

Just not good enough to win the league.

I thought I had Michigan 2nd but it’s been a while

Past two years champs were .500 the years before. Has a team won the league with 5 new starters?

Never said terrible.

Just not good enough to win the league.

I thought I had Michigan 2nd but it’s been a while
Oh my mistake. Your condescending bullshit I quoted where you called them pathetic was actually a compliment. Egg on my face

Now do sub .500 like he said

I feel like it’s definitely been mentioned in here but it was from the 89-90 season to 90-91 when IU went from 8-10 to 15-3 to win a share of the title.

From what we’ve been told, it shouldn’t matter too much, but that’s a long ways away.
To be fair the main source of that information isn’t always the most reliable. But does a great job using Microsoft art for graphics.

• Haha
Reactions: Jaycg15
Is one game from .500 that much of a difference or are you just arguing to argue? Again tell me when the B1G champ has had 5 new starters. I'll sit back and wait.
There's never been a transfer portal like this, so that's not quite the same situation. If IU added a bunch of talent, that would be one thing, but you lost your best 3 point shooter and added some decent freshman. I don't think it's unfair to ask why anyone should think IU will take a leap from bottom half of the conference to the best team without addressing their most glaring weakness.

• Haha
Reactions: IUBtown
Is one game from .500 that much of a difference or are you just arguing to argue? Again tell me when the B1G champ has had 5 new starters. I'll sit back and wait.
Illinois won’t have 5 new starters, details are tough tho.

Oh my mistake. Your condescending bullshit I quoted where you called them pathetic was actually a compliment. Egg on my face
Indiana’s finish to the season was great!!!

Do you feel better now that I’ve ignored how it actually went down?

Indiana’s finish to the season was great!!!

Do you feel better now that I’ve ignored how it actually went down?
I don’t actually care what you think about IU. You seem to think you’re a ton smarter than you actually are, and that has become increasingly evident as you’ve posted the last year.

Long story short, this was my mistake for asking a cünt not to act like a cünt.

I don’t actually care what you think about IU. You seem to think you’re a ton smarter than you actually are, and that has become increasingly evident as you’ve posted the last year.

Long story short, this was my mistake for asking a cünt not to act like a cünt.
Long story short, stop being a triggered little biotch when people don’t believe in Indiana like you/other Indiana fans do.

Now carry on with your crying.

There's never been a transfer portal like this, so that's not quite the same situation. If IU added a bunch of talent, that would be one thing, but you lost your best 3 point shooter and added some decent freshman. I don't think it's unfair to ask why anyone should think IU will take a leap from bottom half of the conference to the best team without addressing their most glaring weakness.
I'm fine with saying Indiana has question marks. I'm not ok with saying they won't win it simply because of their record last year considering the past two years teams who were one game ahead comparatively the year before won the conference, tied at least.

Reactions: Chicubsfan24
Some MSU insiders seeming really confident about Xavier Booker.

I’ll believe if when I see the pen hit the paper on signing day (same with Fears). Recruiting is too damn fluid now.
I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on Izzo as it relates to Booker from Purdue's insider. Do people in MSU's fan base ask the same thing?

I'm telling you: Izzo has lost sight of what has worked for him his whole career. Booker is a terrible fit there. He is not the sort of kid who's going to kick peoples' ass or respond well to being called terrible things in practice every day.

I honestly don't know what they're doing. Jaren Jackson couldn't wait to get out of Michigan State after an unfulfilling freshman season and Max Christie did the exact same thing. At some point, Izzo has to recognize Draymond Greens and Antonio Smiths got Michigan State where they are. Maybe those kids don't exist anymore, I don't know, but he's been recruiting the opposite and look how his last couple of teams have fared.

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on Izzo as it relates to Booker from Purdue's insider. Do people in MSU's fan base ask the same thing?

I'm telling you: Izzo has lost sight of what has worked for him his whole career. Booker is a terrible fit there. He is not the sort of kid who's going to kick peoples' ass or respond well to being called terrible things in practice every day.

I honestly don't know what they're doing. Jaren Jackson couldn't wait to get out of Michigan State after an unfulfilling freshman season and Max Christie did the exact same thing. At some point, Izzo has to recognize Draymond Greens and Antonio Smiths got Michigan State where they are. Maybe those kids don't exist anymore, I don't know, but he's been recruiting the opposite and look how his last couple of teams have fared.
That JJJ comment is pretty goddamn off base. He was a top 5 pick that told Izzo he wanted to come back and Izzo told him no, you have to go. Jaren Jackson Jr. has directly said this. This he couldn’t wait to go is propaganda

Christie got everything he could have asked for here, we ran a ton of offense to get him shots, he just didn’t play very good. Houstan being unsuccessful at UM isn’t Michigan’s fault and I wouldn’t blame MSU for Christie disappointing. He led the team in minutes as a freshman. He definitely has more of a sour relationship with the staff and fanbase but I don’t think it’s because we screwed him over, he just wasn’t very good.

I also do not think Izzo calls them terrible things in practice everyday lol. Izzo isn’t Bobby Knight. Feels like another one of those rival statements without any real backing to it. This guy clearly is not a fan of MSU.

But I do agree with the general point. Izzo needs a certain type of player to be successful, kids who will buy into the culture. Izzo has been nicer to his players then ever these last 2 years because he doesn’t think this batch of kids can handle tough coaching. They need to be coddled, which doesn’t lead to success for MSU. Hopefully getting Bingham, Brown, and Christie out of here will help some of that, I think they’re some of the worst offenders in that regard. I’ve heard some things about Booker, that he needs to up his motor, but I haven’t heard general character concerns from him. I think how they respond to coaching at the college level is one of the sole most unpredictable things. We’ve had guys have reputations worse than Booker’s come in, buy in, and become all time greats for us. We’ve also had kids that have been apparently great kids who say they come to MSU because they want to be coached, but do not respond well to it when push comes to shove and are unhappy with it, ala Max Christie.

I'm fine with saying Indiana has question marks. I'm not ok with saying they won't win it simply because of their record last year considering the past two years teams who were one game ahead comparatively the year before won the conference, tied at least.
The difference is that both of those teams turned over a substantial portion of their starting lineup and roster and had a freshman starter that took a significant sophomore leap and became a top 10 draft pick.

Meanwhile, Indiana lost the best shooter on a team that struggled offensively because of its shooting and added no significant transfer pieces. They added 2 good freshman that will get some tick, but they're at positions that were already strengths. I think an improved team is almost guaranteed because of experience and the drop off of the rest of the league, but I don't get the league favorite talk.

That JJJ comment is pretty goddamn off base. He was a top 5 pick that told Izzo he wanted to come back and Izzo told him no, you have to go. Jaren Jackson Jr. has directly said this. This he couldn’t wait to go is propaganda

Christie got everything he could have asked for here, we ran a ton of offense to get him shots, he just didn’t play very good. Houstan being unsuccessful at UM isn’t Michigan’s fault and I wouldn’t blame MSU for Christie disappointing. He led the team in minutes as a freshman. He definitely has more of a sour relationship with the staff and fanbase but I don’t think it’s because we screwed him over, he just wasn’t very good.

I also do not think Izzo calls them terrible things in practice everyday lol. Izzo isn’t Bobby Knight. Feels like another one of those rival statements without any real backing to it. This guy clearly is not a fan of MSU.

But I do agree with the general point. Izzo needs a certain type of player to be successful, kids who will buy into the culture. Izzo has been nicer to his players then ever these last 2 years because he doesn’t think this batch of kids can handle tough coaching. They need to be coddled, which doesn’t lead to success for MSU. Hopefully getting Bingham, Brown, and Christie out of here will help some of that, I think they’re some of the worst offenders in that regard. I’ve heard some things about Booker, that he needs to up his motor, but I haven’t heard general character concerns from him. I think how they respond to coaching at the college level is one of the sole most unpredictable things. We’ve had guys have reputations worse than Booker’s come in, buy in, and become all time greats for us. We’ve also had kids that have been apparently great kids who say they come to MSU because they want to be coached, but do not respond well to it when push comes to shove and are unhappy with it, ala Max Christie.
Thanks for the thoughts. I had no idea on JJJ so appreciate the link.

On the Booker front, I don't think he is saying Booker is a character issue, just that he's in the Christie/Bingham mold of kids who respond better to being coddled. Either way, it's fascinating to me that he vaulted to a top 2 ranking given how little he's produced. I know the guy oozes potential, but I've not heard a guy get ranked that high based on potential alone.

Reactions: MGC_07
The difference is that both of those teams turned over a substantial portion of their starting lineup and roster and had a freshman starter that took a significant sophomore leap and became a top 10 draft pick.

Meanwhile, Indiana lost the best shooter on a team that struggled offensively because of its shooting and added no significant transfer pieces. They added 2 good freshman that will get some tick, but they're at positions that were already strengths. I think an improved team is almost guaranteed because of experience and the drop off of the rest of the league, but I don't get the league favorite talk.
Anyone who watched a majority of IU’s games would identify the loss of this player as a very very good thing

Thanks for the thoughts. I had no idea on JJJ so appreciate the link.

On the Booker front, I don't think he is saying Booker is a character issue, just that he's in the Christie/Bingham mold of kids who respond better to being coddled. Either way, it's fascinating to me that he vaulted to a top 2 ranking given how little he's produced. I know the guy oozes potential, but I've not heard a guy get ranked that high based on potential alone.
Yeah I could see that. Hopefully his talent wins out and he’s more coachable. I’m curious what caused him to say that. Has he heard of attitude issues?

I absolutely agree I’m the ranking though. I’m still going to be excited to get the commitment and think he could be very good for us, but like you said the production doesn’t match the ranking.

One of our insiders said it best I think. He’s ranked that way for what he could be and not for what he is right now.

Meanwhile, Indiana lost the best shooter
Stewart shot 39.3%
Johnson shot 38.8 %

Thats not some huge drop off.

Kopp was "bad" in most eyes----yet shot 36%.
CJ Gunn, freshman, is a very good shooter.

I'm OK with that....

Anyone who watched a majority of IU’s games would identify the loss of this player as a very very good thing
Yep.....Early on, dude was lights out. Then just vansihed. A one trick pony at that. His loss will not be missed at all.

Long story short, stop being a triggered little biotch when people don’t believe in Indiana like you/other Indiana fans do.

Now carry on with your crying.
Its not JUST Indiana fans....The media has tabbed IU as favorites. Most experts, analyst have tabbed IU as favorites....Its not like IU fans just decided to call Indiana the favorite for this year...

You're talking the guy who avg 5pts, 27% from 3 and was a huge defensive liability the last 10 games? No one but Borden here has claimed them the favorite.

I'll point this out AGAIN....Stewart shot slightly better than Johnson; 39% to 38%,and at the end, Johnson was significantly better from three.

"Decent freshman"?---Jalen Hood Schifino is a 5*, ranked 18th....Malik Reneau is a 5*, rated 26th. There is no other B10 team that has two, Top 25'ish kids coming in.

Glaring weakness is and has been shooting. But you act as if that cannot change. JOhnson shot 38%, Kopp 36%....Gunn is a very good shooter....Its possible Bates improves?

IU was 9-11 last year----and again, I'll repeat, 6 of those losses were by 5 points or fewer...I mean Wisconsin could have easily been under .500, difference is, they won, closed out close games----winning like , I dunno 8 or 9 games by 5 points or fewer.

Point is----the line of IU being an 11-9, 12-8 team or better, isn't that big.

I just think it gets your ass that Indiana is getting some love....

November cannot get here fast enough..

You're talking the guy who avg 5pts, 27% from 3 and was a huge defensive liability the last 10 games? No one but Borden here has claimed them the favorite.
Well, I mean lets be sort of fair here, now......I mean many experts, media pundits have placed that same tag on IU. Its not as if I went out on some crazy limb here.

Yep I said with the return of TJD, I felt IU would/could win the B10. I still feel that way. Look at the make-up of the league....Name a roster right now you'd take over Indiana's....

Reactions: IUBtown
His defense wasn’t great, but he was far and away your best offensive shooting threat. It made zero sense to once again ignore the issue that has limited Indiana. You can’t consistently win in 2022 if you can’t shoot.

Maybe Tamar Bates figures it out and XJ isn’t as erratic as he’s been through his career, but if I’m an IU fan, I’m annoyed with the inability to add shooting to a roster that desperately needed it in order to capitalize on TJD’s final year.

I'll point this out AGAIN....Stewart shot slightly better than Johnson; 39% to 38%,and at the end, Johnson was significantly better from three.

"Decent freshman"?---Jalen Hood Schifino is a 5*, ranked 18th....Malik Reneau is a 5*, rated 26th. There is no other B10 team that has two, Top 25'ish kids coming in.

Glaring weakness is and has been shooting. But you act as if that cannot change. JOhnson shot 38%, Kopp 36%....Gunn is a very good shooter....Its possible Bates improves?

IU was 9-11 last year----and again, I'll repeat, 6 of those losses were by 5 points or fewer...I mean Wisconsin could have easily been under .500, difference is, they won, closed out close games----winning like , I dunno 8 or 9 games by 5 points or fewer.

Point is----the line of IU being an 11-9, 12-8 team or better, isn't that big.

I just think it gets your ass that Indiana is getting some love....

November cannot get here fast enough..
And they had 5 wins of with less than a 5 point margin, so it seems that’s a moot point. Wisconsin had a lottery pick.

What do you want me to say about your freshmen? They’ll more than likely be better than Khristian Lander. I’m not going pretend most freshmen are more than role players because you want them to be. I spent all last off-season saying Bates would likely need a year against adamant IU fans protests. A special few end up being good players on good teams. Your freshmen have a chance to be good.

This is just another standard Indiana off-season where you predict your team is going to finish a few spots higher than they do. That hasn’t chapped my ass once.

Last edited:
His defense wasn’t great, but he was far and away your best offensive shooting threat. It made zero sense to once again ignore the issue that has limited Indiana. You can’t consistently win in 2022 if you can’t shoot.

Maybe Tamar Bates figures it out and XJ isn’t as erratic as he’s been through his career, but if I’m an IU fan, I’m annoyed with the inability to add shooting to a roster that desperately needed it in order to capitalize on TJD’s final year.
Who would you rather have back, the guy who avg 5 pts and 27% from 3 the last 10 games or the guy who avg 16.5 and shot 47% from 3 the last 10?

Who would you rather have back, the guy who avg 5 pts and 27% from 3 the last 10 games or the guy who avg 16.5 and shot 47% from 3 the last 10?
I’d rather have shooters than no shooters. And he went 7/9 against Minnesota and Maryland, let’s have some perspective on that number. Those 2 games brought his season average up 4%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT