ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off-Season Thread****

Status
Not open for further replies.
A certain former msu player is back on campus and may transfer back.

not sure if he has an offer to, but we got room

giphy.gif
Hate losing 2 of 3 haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: bMORE607
A certain former msu player is back on campus and may transfer back.

not sure if he has an offer to, but we got room
I’m not sure if I will laugh or cry if that happens.

I do not think that is a good move unless Rocket has done some self reflection and is ready to buy into playing winning basketball. His 2020-2021 season was so goddamn bad. If I was more confident in him as a shooter I’d be open to. But his main skill out of high school, shooting, just hasn’t translated to this level save for the end of his freshman year. He’s never shot above 30% from 3 on a season.

There are just better options out that a program with a HOF coach and good NIL options could get if we tried.

I’m not sure if I will laugh or cry if that happens.

I do not think that is a good move unless Rocket has done some self reflection and is ready to buy into playing winning basketball. His 2020-2021 season was so goddamn bad. If I was more confident in him as a shooter I’d be open to. But his main skill out of high school, shooting, just hasn’t translated to this level save for the end of his freshman year. He’s never shot above 30% from 3 on a season.

There are just better options out that a program with a HOF coach and good NIL options could get if we tried.
I think this is Izzo’s last season if there isn’t major reform. The writing is on the wall for coaches that don’t want to adapt to the recruiting game.

Reactions: RichieRebel
I think this is Izzo’s last season if there isn’t major reform. The writing is on the wall for coaches that don’t want to adapt to the recruiting game.
Our homeboard would eat you alive for that one.

While generally I agree with that, I think it’s more about transfer than recruiting. I mean our 22 class has some solid guys, already got Fears and feel good about Xavier Booker (who Rivals is more accurate on than 247 for a change) for 23’. It’s not like our recruiting is falling off a cliff or anything.

But refusing to add transfers because he’s worried it’ll shove some guys out who should be shoved out just on a talent basis anyways is not the future of the game. This roster has holes and he hasn’t done shit thus far. My caveat for us being good next year was good transfer additions and we don’t have any. If Rocket is the answer I’ll be pissed.

Reactions: Jaycg15
Yawn. Sure.

We have 10 times the money IL does
Nah, Illinois has a bigger donor base (almost $4 billion endowment for Illinois and barely over $1 billion for Iowa, as an example) and more marketing opportunities in bigger markets. Our new AD has also stepped it up with fundraising, and it’s clear we have money to play with for facility upgrades and coaches’ salaries.

If we ever became worth a shit in football with any consistency whatsoever, the gap would close REALLY quickly. It’s just hard to get butts in the seats (and therefore revenue) to watch 2-10 teams, especially when you haven’t been consistently good in anyone’s lifetime. But the fans and resources are still there.

I do not think Iowa football will decline during NIL, though.

Nah, you’re well aware Illinois has a much bigger donor base and more marketing opportunities in bigger markets. If we ever became worth a shit in football with any consistency whatsoever, the gap would close REALLY quickly. It’s just hard to get butts in the seats (and therefore revenue) to watch 2-10 teams, especially when you haven’t been consistently good in anyone’s lifetime. But the fans and resources are still there.

Then where the fvck have they been the last 20 years, lol

Look at the rankings chief. Athletic donations are factored in the value of ADs and we dwarf Illinois. Those kids from China you recruit to go to school there, don't give a shit about sports and don't donate to them.

Last edited:
Nah, Illinois has a bigger donor base (almost $4 billion endowment for Illinois and barely over $1 billion for Iowa, as an example) and more marketing opportunities in bigger markets. Our new AD has also stepped it up with fundraising, and it’s clear we have money to play with for facility upgrades and coaches’ salaries.

If we ever became worth a shit in football with any consistency whatsoever, the gap would close REALLY quickly. It’s just hard to get butts in the seats (and therefore revenue) to watch 2-10 teams, especially when you haven’t been consistently good in anyone’s lifetime. But the fans and resources are still there.

I do not think Iowa football will decline during NIL, though.

Where did you see those endowment numbers? The one I saw Illinois and Purdue were close to one another.

Then where the fvck have they been the last 20 years, lol

Look at the rankings chief. Athletic donations are factored in the value of ADs and we dwarf Illinois. Those kids from China you recruit to go to school there, don't give a shit about sports and don't donate to them.
Two bad ADs during that time.

Reactions: hawkit3113
Two bad ADs during that time.

You guys have a ways to go. Stadium, facilities, etc.....

Iowa has been reinvesting in our cash cow (football) since the early 2000s. We aren't going anywhere in football. NIL or no NIL.

We are a NFL pipeline that has been built piece by piece the last 20+ years.

You guys have a ways to go. Stadium, facilities, etc.....

Iowa has been reinvesting in our cash cow (football) since the early 2000s. We aren't going anywhere in football. NIL or no NIL.

We are a NFL pipeline that has been built piece by piece the last 20+ years.
I don’t think you’re familiar with our facilities.

247 ranked our football facilities 2nd behind OSU. They’re brand new. Our basketball stadium was just renovated, and our basketball practice facility upgrade is underway.

I don’t think you’re familiar with our facilities.

247 ranked our football facilities 2nd behind OSU. They’re brand new. Our basketball stadium was just renovated, and our basketball practice facility upgrade is underway.

It's a constant upgrade. Sure yours might be newer, but won't be in the top 25 in 5 to 10 years, when we are due for another upgrade

But honesty, good for IL. They are starting to realize where the money is made.

Ours were top 25 when we upgraded them 10 years ago

Where did you see those endowment numbers? The one I saw Illinois and Purdue were close to one another.
November 2021 Forbes article had Illinois at $3.82 billion. Might be a more recent figure, but some 2021 articles I found for Purdue (quick, lazy Google search, full disclosure) had them around $2.6 billion.

@hawkit3113, I think it is quite relevant to your potential donor “ceiling.” People (somehow … lol) seem to even underestimate just how putrid Illini football has been for 30 years now, yet compare us for things like this to a school like Iowa?? Our donations and revenue would go up accordingly if and when we became competitive again. The fact we can finance all this stuff while we suck is a positive sign.

November 2021 Forbes article had Illinois at $3.82 billion. Might be a more recent figure, but some 2021 articles I found for Purdue (quick, lazy Google search, full disclosure) had them around $2.6 billion.

@hawkit3113, I think it is quite relevant to your potential donor “ceiling.” People (somehow … lol) seem to even underestimate just how putrid Illini football has been for 30 years now, yet compare us for things like this to a school like Iowa?? Our donations and revenue would go up accordingly if and when we became competitive again. The fact we can finance all this stuff while we suck is a positive sign.

Chicken and eggs argument. We are already there. Also, our endowment is 3.1 billion, according to the wiki site

The only thing that sucks bigger dong than the Big Ten is Minnesota Sports.

MN Wild - Have the best regular season in franchise history. Go up 2-1 in the first round, then proceed to lose three straight.

Timberwolves - Absolutely choked the first round away against the Grizzlies this year. Blew multiple double digit leads. Outside of the Garnett years, the team has been to the playoffs only twice.

MN Twins - They have lost a record 18 straight playoff games going back to the early 2000's. The odds of that happening are insanely low, but they managed to do it amazingly.

Vikings - They have the 7th best regular season winning percentage of all-time with no Super Bowls to show for it. The QB situation since 1990 has been hilarious. It's really unbelievable that Cousins has started the 4th most games in Vikings history. Just shows the instability at the position.

MN Wild - Have the best regular season in franchise history. Go up 2-1 in the first round, then proceed to lose three straight.

Timberwolves - Absolutely choked the first round away against the Grizzlies this year. Blew multiple double digit leads. Outside of the Garnett years, the team has been to the playoffs only twice.

MN Twins - They have lost a record 18 straight playoff games going back to the early 2000's. The odds of that happening are insanely low, but they managed to do it amazingly.

Vikings - They have the 7th best regular season winning percentage of all-time with no Super Bowls to show for it. The QB situation since 1990 has been hilarious. It's really unbelievable that Cousins has started the 4th most games in Vikings history. Just shows the instability at the position.

laughing-haha.gif

- @jwardelt

And the funny part is that despite how hard y'all has tried, at the moment, Minneparis isn't the worst sports city in America. It's NYC.

You can join the Blues bandwagon since Leddy is a Gopher.

I will never give you shit again.

Kirby Pucket was a beast, and so was Cat Fish Morris.

The Dome sucked, but the weather is tough up there.

Go Twins

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT