ADVERTISEMENT

***Official B1G In-Season Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do think Woodson needs to show an ability to adjust his style of play. I think he did better at the end of the year but that'll be more key than anything.

He's putting stock in Newton and Galloways play the 2nd half of the season, he also loves him some Cupps. A backup 5 is the more important need at this point, but imo an experienced guard who can shoot will kill two birds. 2nd year Mgbako and Tucker I think will give us a different gear than we had last year. But still need another athlete in back court and depth in the post.
I'm not a huge fan of defensive advanced metrics as I think team play can skew them. But of the 100 B1G players who played 700 or more possessions this year, Gabe Cupps was 96th in Defensive Bayesian Performance Rating.

That's even worse than all the Iowa guys that qualified for that metric and far and away the lowest IU player who qualified.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
I do think Woodson needs to show an ability to adjust his style of play. I think he did better at the end of the year but that'll be more key than anything.
Yep. I assume IU is pushing hard for the USC decommit from last week who shot like 47% from three. But if you are an elite long distance shotmaker, is IU really where you want to go given Woody's history?

I'm not a huge fan of defensive advanced metrics as I think team play can skew them. But of the 100 B1G players who played 700 or more possessions this year, Gabe Cupps was 96th in Defensive Bayesian Performance Rating.

That's even worse than all the Iowa guys that qualified for that metric and far and away the lowest IU player who qualified.
I knew he was bad but didn’t realize he was that bad. Woof.

He's putting stock in Newton and Galloways play the 2nd half of the season, he also loves him some Cupps. A backup 5 is the more important need at this point, but imo an experienced guard who can shoot will kill two birds. 2nd year Mgbako and Tucker I think will give us a different gear than we had last year. But still need another athlete in back court and depth in the post.
IMO we nedd a primary 5. MR has not demonstrated the agressiveness or the ability to stay on the floor for what that position requires in a MW offense.

Given the situation Gabe played in, explain how this meteric fits his game and how it may not.

You seem triggered.
I am not the one digging for obscure data I know very little about regarding a subject matter I know very little about to use to trash a player I know very little about simply because he wears an IU jersey.

Look up the term Projection. It applies to you here.

Hope this helps

• Wow
Reactions: Zero Credibility
I am not the one digging for obscure data I know very little about regarding a subject matter I know very little about to use to trash a player I know very little about simply because he wears an IU jersey.

Look up the term Projection. It applies to you here.

Hope this helps
That you think it's obscure speaks volumes about your basketball knowledge. Oh, and clearly your....

200w.gif

I feel like he did fairly well towards end of the year. Can't remember the game or player but he had a very good defensive game against someone that was a key scorer. He certainly has some room to grow and I'd rather not depend on him as a starter but he can be a solid 4 year guy with some more work and building his body. He does have it between the ears to be a solid player.

I feel like he did fairly well towards end of the year. Can't remember the game or player but he had a very good defensive game against someone that was a key scorer. He certainly has some room to grow and I'd rather not depend on him as a starter but he can be a solid 4 year guy with some more work and building his body. He does have it between the ears to be a solid player.
I absolutely think he can be a solid contributor from what I've seen. He was dealt a bad hand this year between XJ's injury and Woody's brain dead portal decisions. If they surround him with good players and let him be a backup PG who plays 10-15 minutes, I think he will fill that role well.

That you think it's obscure speaks volumes about your basketball knowledge. Oh, and clearly your....

200w.gif
It is very obscure, fringe data subject to any number of influential variables.

But hey...it served your purpose.

Troll on...

I do agree. I'm just not a doom and gloom guy, that's all I'm poking at you for. Said way back, still need a guard transfer, a big, and 2 3/4 guys. Newton I've gotten more excited over.
Not doom and gloom as much as its just simply reality. IF IU has lost Ware, MM and MR? Ewwww. But they didn't, so that is a start.

I don't expect anyting worthwhile as long as Woodson is coaching.

He was a freshman.....Not defending him, or his "defense"---But again, he was a frosh, basically thrown to the wolves. And TBH, at times, he did a nice job defensively.

I think the kid can be a solid contributor as a junior/senior.

It is very obscure, fringe data subject to any number of influential variables.

But hey...it served your purpose.

Troll on...
You should tell all the D1 coaches that use it. Evan Miyakowa is now considered on of the foremost advanced metrics purveyors in the industry and coaches at all levels pay for his data.

• Haha
Reactions: boiler1987
To be fair Morton's entire stats for the tournament as a senior is 6 minutes, 3 assists and 3 fouls.
To be fair, he was literally put in just to foul twice in one of the games, but your point stands. Honestly feel bad for the guy, like it's insane how he just lost all confidence in his offensive capabilities

To be fair, he was literally put in just to foul twice in one of the games, but your point stands. Honestly feel bad for the guy, like it's insane how he just lost all confidence in his offensive capabilities
I was kinda shocked but when things get down this far teams focus on their strengths. But yeah may not be the best dig at IU fans.

You seem triggered.
The dude is Charmin soft. Gets triggered simply because I talk to people on the IU board. There's plenty of PU trolls over there and he comes here to complain about me even though I remain very civil.

This is a very fair assessment of him. Courty thinks he's better than Smith though.

He has no offensive ability. He'd be a quality player if his shot didn't go down the toilet.

You should tell all the D1 coaches that use it. Evan Miyakowa is now considered on of the foremost advanced metrics purveyors in the industry and coaches at all levels pay for his data.
But they, ulike you, understand it'e role and context

It served your needs, we get it. All while your own team is in the FF.

How did you get this bitter? You and Boilermaker03 are two bitter peas in a pod.

• Haha
The dude is Charmin soft. Gets triggered simply because I talk to people on the IU board. There's plenty of PU trolls over there and he comes here to complain about me even though I remain very civil.
You are the best. Don't ever change. Your bitterness and obsessuon with IU as your team prepares for the FF absolutely defines the Purdue fan base.

Are you Purdue Pete? You are creepy enough.

Caleb Furst is riding the bench as well.
Painter has said multiple times that he feels bad and that he wishes he could play guys more minutes because they’re good enough. Guys like Furst, Morton, and Gillis have all started a lot of games and have seen their roles reduced this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT