ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G In-Season Thread****

Doesn't losing the games Painter has make him a liability?

Like Fran McCaffrey. You can grab any tape from previous tournament appearances and have them scouted in two hours.

Reactions: jwardelt
If our basketball program is not white enough for the Iowa state legislature, nothing is
I always thought they were grateful for letting so many white guys play the game of basketball. Practice what they preach. Equality and inclusion.

They had played 4 games in 18 days coming into tonight.

They played Iowa February 28th, got a week off, played two games in the Big10 tournament, got a week off then played tonight.

This is normal stuff, no excuse for a college basketball team to look like they're taking oxygen over a stretch like that.
You’re forgetting the Michigan game on March 5.

How ****ing dumb is the Minnesota Athletic Department for not going after Brian Dutcher? He has a clause in his contract where the buyout for Minnesota would only be $1 million instead of almost $7 million, for any other school, at the time of his extension. After this season his buyout for all other schools is a little over $4 million yet Minnesota is still $1 million. Not only that, Ben Johnson makes 600k more than him per year.

From the San Diego Union Tribune:

"There is one exception, however: The buyout is only $1 million for University of Minnesota.

Dutcher went there. So did his three sisters and his wife. It’s where his father, Jim, coached for 11 seasons between 1975 and 1986 and still lives.

“It’s my school,” Dutcher said, “where I went and was able to be part of that basketball program with my dad. But it’s still a buyout. It’s not like it’s free.”

• Haha
Reactions: hawkit3113
Btw, not sure if this was brought up already, but just to add a little insult to injury for Purdue, Fairleigh-Dickinson wasn't even their conference's champion...........

D1 newcomer Merrimack won the Northeast Conference by 2 games over FDU and then proceeded to beat them in the NEC tournament finals as well. But because they are still in the "transition" phase, FDU got to go to the tournament instead, and the rest is history...............

:cool:

Btw, not sure if this was brought up already, but just to add a little insult to injury for Purdue, Fairleigh-Dickinson wasn't even their conference's champion...........

D1 newcomer Merrimack won the Northeast Conference by 2 games over FDU and then proceeded to beat them in the NEC tournament finals as well. But because they are still in the "transition" phase, FDU got to go to the tournament instead, and the rest is history...............

They’re closer to eastern Illinois than UMBC on kenpom. Embarrassing beyond belief bad.

Big game for the Hoosiers tonight. Gonna be a tough one. Gotta keep their guards in front of us and make them shoot contested 3s.

Lets Go Nba GIF by Storyful

I hate that I’m even saying this but this is an opponent made in a lab for Race Thompson to have a great game. He is finally looking healthier, so if he’s able to put up a comparable performance to what he did against Kent, IU should be in good shape. Miami doesn’t really have anyone who can guard Trayce, but they have one competent post defender who will do his best on TJD. That leaves a wing trying his best on Race and they need to make them pay for that

Reactions: texanhoosier1982
I hate that I’m even saying this but this is an opponent made in a lab for Race Thompson to have a great game. He is finally looking healthier, so if he’s able to put up a comparable performance to what he did against Kent, IU should be in good shape. Miami doesn’t really have anyone who can guard Trayce, but they have one competent post defender who will do his best on TJD. That leaves a wing trying his best on Race and they need to make them pay for that
Doubling Trayce seems natural but if they put their top two defending bigs on him it opens Race up for a big day simply from the dump passes.

The right move IMO is to use your first and third best defending Big/wing and leave a competent defender on Race

And Malik.....

Doubling Trayce seems natural but if they put their top two defending bigs on him it opens Race up for a big day simply from the dump passes.

The right move IMO is to use your first and third best defending Big/wing and leave a competent defender on Race
Maybe you stop doubling TJD---make others beat you?

Big key in this game is not getting destroyed from three....Cannot have Miami hit 10+, while we struggle. So need to hit a few. Rebound better.

Good JHS/TJD, and I like our chances...Good opportunity for Race and Malik.

My point is that they don’t have a competent defender to guard race. They’re incredibly small and they’re not at defense. I wasn’t talking about the other “big” doubling Trayce. If / when they double Trayce, it’ll almost certainly be from one of our guards’ defenders. But IU should be able to take advantage of some Race post ups while using TJD as a decoy

They were an objectively pathetic team. I think kenpom 359 defensively before our game, 20-15 overall lol

I mean they legitimately just didn’t defend our shooters.

It’s worse than UVA’s loss imo.

Did IU offer Pack out of HS? Purdue didn’t - would be an interesting storyline in this matchup.

I’m pretty concerned about Malik’s ability to play in todays game just from a defensive perspective. They’ll pick on him a lot.
Month ago I would agree....I think he has came a long ways. Those reaching in tendencies have seemingly went away...Not going for ball fakes as uch, and has been solid with the PNR, hedges, etc...Weird thing is, I think his perimeter defense has improved more than his interiror defense.

Then again, he's a freshman---SO who knows.

I do like this match-up for Race though. I just hope he doesn't marry that three point shot...You hit that first one---Ok. But do what you are best at...He's a tough guard in the middle.

We need Bates OR Galloway to show up today. ANd for the love of man kind---Need Kopp to hit that open three, EARLY.

Woodson needs to challenge JHS to get 8 assists and Galloway to get 4 and limit them to under 8 offensive rebounds nd IU will be sitting in good shape.

TJD is due for a game with 3- 4 lob dunks.

ADVERTISEMENT