ADVERTISEMENT

New Joker movie **SPOILERS**

Yeah, I don't go to the movies much but it is definitely one I want to see when it comes out . Several movies out soon I am interested in. Doctor Sleep, Joker, Ad Astra and The Lighthouse are a few.

Our security dude at base warned us about going to see it because incels want to shoot the place up apparently.

Our security dude at base warned us about going to see it because incels want to shoot the place up apparently.
I work with a guy who's a reserve and he brought that up as well. Something about noticing the exits, keep his head on a swivel, etc.

Anyway, I live close to a smaller theater, and I plan on catching a matinee of the film. I'm looking forward to it. I very rarely go to the theatre, but don't want to wait to watch it.

Lol what is going on, why do people think a movie is going to cause mass violence, a movie that hasn’t even been released yet.
They didn't say anything about a movie making them want to do it. Losers emulate other losers, and that one loser shot up a Batman premier if I recall correctly. I'm sure they have heard chatter of copy cats.

They didn't say anything about a movie making them want to do it. Losers emulate other losers, and that one loser shot up a Batman premier if I recall correctly. I'm sure they have heard chatter of copy cats.

I completely forgot that dude shot up a theater showing The Dark Knight. But still I saw something about the movie inciting violence and it’s just nuts.

I mean, the studio probably wants the shooting narrative pushed. It’s free publicity.

I mean, the studio probably wants the shooting narrative pushed. It’s free publicity.

giphy.gif

He’s not wrong. The Aurora shooter never said a thing about the Joker. He shot up The Dark Knight Rises (joker not in it). It was made up to be a “Joker” thing.

There have been a 100s of shoot em up movies since without incident.

He’s not wrong. The Aurora shooter never said a thing about the Joker. He shot up The Dark Knight Rises (joker not in it). It was made up to be a “Joker” thing.

There have been a 100s of shoot em up movies since without incident.

No he’s not right. No studio wants the shooting narrative pushed for free publicity. That’s insane, it’s a huge movie that’s getting amazing reviews, last thing the studio wants is the shooting narrative pushed.

Reactions: RedR8der4Life
No he’s not right. No studio wants the shooting narrative pushed for free publicity. That’s insane, it’s a huge movie that’s getting amazing reviews, last thing the studio wants is the shooting narrative pushed.

Warner’s is 100% not upset about the talk before this movie is released.

People were going to talk about this movie regardless. I know people that won't watch it in theaters because of the shooting talk.

Will the number of people who go because they heard about the movie from people talking about safety trump the number of people who stay home because of that? I don't know.

Last edited:
Reactions: lurkeraspect84

Why would they want that publicity? Critics are saying it’s a dark horse for movie of the year (would pump the brakes on that), why would you want a negative thing like that be a storyline. They don’t need that publicity.

This shit is going to hurt ticket sales not help it.

Why would they want that publicity? Critics are saying it’s a dark horse for movie of the year (would pump the brakes on that), why would you want a negative thing like that be a storyline. They don’t need that publicity.

This shit is going to hurt ticket sales not help it.

I disagree that it hurts tickets sales...i am a firm believer of no such thing as bad publicity. Plenty of people who give zero shits about a comic movie are now intrigued by this flick. if 1,000 pussies are scared then so be it but the movie is still going to make a ton of cash. I’ll be there Thursday night if I get shot up then well it’s bad luck. I have had a great run

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
“What’s outstanding to me in this discourse in this movie is how easily the far left can sound like the far right when it suits their agenda. It’s really been eye-opening for me.” -Todd Philips (director of Joker)

Haven't been to the theaters in awhile but will definitely watch it at some point. I usually like Phoenix' acting. Wonder if they'll include him in the new Batman trilogy? Think I read they're trying to get Jonah Hill for penguin. Can't decide if that would be good or not, seems weird.

“What’s outstanding to me in this discourse in this movie is how easily the far left can sound like the far right when it suits their agenda. It’s really been eye-opening for me.” -Todd Philips (director of Joker)

Haven't been to the theaters in awhile but will definitely watch it at some point. I usually like Phoenix' acting. Wonder if they'll include him in the new Batman trilogy? Think I read they're trying to get Jonah Hill for penguin. Can't decide if that would be good or not, seems weird.

This “Joker” is completely separate.

It’s going to be really hard to beat Devito, but I think Jonah would be fantastic.

Reactions: RedR8der4Life
Looks like it’s gonna be a good one. Joaquin Phoenix usually never disappoints.

Im also not a big theater goer. The gf is. Im interested enough and really like Phoenix's acting so I think we may go see it on Saturday since UK is on a bye week.

I don’t get it

I disagree that it hurts tickets sales...i am a firm believer of no such thing as bad publicity. Plenty of people who give zero shits about a comic movie are now intrigued by this flick. if 1,000 pussies are scared then so be it but the movie is still going to make a ton of cash. I’ll be there Thursday night if I get shot up then well it’s bad luck. I have had a great run

Agree to disagree. No way to really prove it right or wrong unless we could test alternate universes I guess.

I think the “all publicity is good publicity” draws a line at consumer safety (or what consumers may think is a safety concern).

Mean tweets, drama between actors, a sex tape, whatever.... sure it gets the movie in the tabloids and more people maybe end up seeing it.

Warning people that the movie may trigger weirdos to copycat the Aurora shooter? Not really sure that makes anyone but sadists want to see the movie more.

Warning people that the movie may trigger weirdos to copycat the Aurora shooter?

This is nothing but a made up narrative. The Aurora shooting had nothing to do with the Joker.

Why weren't people warned for Suicide Squad or any other violent movie since that shooting? People are still going to flock to see the movie. Massive ad spend and fantastic reviews.

This is nothing but a made up narrative. The Aurora shooting had nothing to do with the Joker.

Why weren't people warned for Suicide Squad or any other violent movie since that shooting? People are still going to flock to see the movie. Massive ad spend and fantastic reviews.

I didn’t say it was a legitimate threat. But considering I know multiple people who aren’t going for that reason it’s one that some consumers are worried about.

And yes people are going to flock to the movie regardless. They were going to flock to the movie if there weren’t people bringing up Aurora, too.

The Joker is going to be a huge box office hit. There’s no way to know if ticket sales are better with or without internet rumors about it being a potential trigger.

In my opinion it doesn’t help ticket sales. In your opinion it does. We’ll never know.

At the end of the day I’m looking forward to seeing it and don’t really care who else does.

Just finished seeing the movie. (I live in Korea). Great movie and incredible acting performance.

Heath Ledger gave the GOAT comic book Joker performance. Phoenix was equally great as a Joker that could emerge from reality. So two insanely great performances of the same character but very different as well. Not sure if that makes sense. I may go again tonight to see it with friends.

Since other upcoming movies were mentioned in this thread lm surprised that no one has mentioned El Camino coming out next week. It might be because it's not in the theaters? But, I didn't necessarily think that the theater was a prerequisite here.

But that's the movie I've got circled above all others!

Reactions: Steelers2012
I'm going tonight to see it when I get off. The wife is working (only person I know who works more than me), so I'll be going solo.

ADVERTISEMENT