ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA in trouble?

I don't think this happens. Schools cannot afford to lose the security of the NCAA. I get it as well----The NCAA needs the schools. Of course they do. But the NCAA has more leverage. They have, yep------the $$$$$. The contracts...The endorsements---And the endorsement rights. Not to mention, copyright issues.

I'm no lawyer...Not even close. But I am sure somewhere in all the by-laws, membership guidelines, there so nice fine print that hold a lot of water.
The NCAA is an association of colleges. There is no basis in law.

The NCAA can't keep a kid that is and adult (18 years old) from seeking employment. He/she are adults. The NBA saying that they will not hire you until you are 19 is not a "legal" requirement, just an association requirement. The NFL saying that they will not hire you until you are three years in college is not a "legal" requirement, just an association requirement.

If State and federal "outlaws" these agreements then college basketball and football is gone. Title IX will force the engagement of all the sports and could doom college sports.

These folks doing this are to be damned. Screw them and the horse that they rode in on.

My prayer is that some reasonable people move in and stops the stupidity. If they don't college "NCAA" sports will be history.

The NCAA is an association of colleges. There is no basis in law.

The NCAA can't keep a kid that is and adult (18 years old) from seeking employment. He/she are adults. The NBA saying that they will not hire you until you are 19 is not a "legal" requirement, just an association requirement. The NFL saying that they will not hire you until you are three years in college is not a "legal" requirement, just an association requirement.

If State and federal "outlaws" these agreements then college basketball and football is gone. Title IX will force the engagement of all the sports and could doom college sports.

These folks doing this are to be damned. Screw them and the horse that they rode in on.

My prayer is that some reasonable people move in and stops the stupidity. If they don't college "NCAA" sports will be history.
Sure they can---And sure there is(basis in law). When you(said school) JOIN the NCAA, you agree to adhere to their rules/policies, i.e. By-Laws. You are tied to those for a four year period(I believe this is the cycle---every 4 years). Now, if you decide to not renew your membership, then sure, you don't have to follow their rules. But you also forfeit all privilege's provided by the NCAA----And that's a whole lot of goodies. As you said about the NBA, that too applies to the NCAA. Them(NCAA) saying they will not hire you(pay for play), or allow it, is not a legal requirement---Its an association requirement. I have not read through the NCAA by-laws, word for word. But I do have an understanding somewhat. After all, when I agree as an independent contractor, to work an NCAA event, I also agree to adhere to NCAA policy, i.e. Alcohol, tobacco, etc, etc..That is no different for a school, and/or an athlete wishing to to join the NCAA, or play for an NCAA institution.

I do think this ends up in court----IF the issue continues to be pushed. I don't think the NCAA loses. Now, schools may decide to move on...But I doubt it.

Sure they can---And sure there is(basis in law). When you(said school) JOIN the NCAA, you agree to adhere to their rules/policies, i.e. By-Laws. You are tied to those for a four year period(I believe this is the cycle---every 4 years). Now, if you decide to not renew your membership, then sure, you don't have to follow their rules. But you also forfeit all privilege's provided by the NCAA----And that's a whole lot of goodies. As you said about the NBA, that too applies to the NCAA. Them(NCAA) saying they will not hire you(pay for play), or allow it, is not a legal requirement---Its an association requirement. I have not read through the NCAA by-laws, word for word. But I do have an understanding somewhat. After all, when I agree as an independent contractor, to work an NCAA event, I also agree to adhere to NCAA policy, i.e. Alcohol, tobacco, etc, etc..That is no different for a school, and/or an athlete wishing to to join the NCAA, or play for an NCAA institution.

I do think this ends up in court----IF the issue continues to be pushed. I don't think the NCAA loses. Now, schools may decide to move on...But I doubt it.
Borden the NCAA rules are based on an agreement. They are not based on law.

Only the federal government and the individual states (50 of them) can establish LAW. The rest is not involved in what has to be done.

Sorry.

Borden the NCAA rules are based on an agreement. They are not based on law.

Only the federal government and the individual states (50 of them) can establish LAW. The rest is not involved in what has to be done.

Sorry.
I think you are misunderstanding my post, Bert. I said, "I'm no lawyer, but I am sure somewhere in the by-laws , i.e. NCAA rules/regs... In other words, I wasn't meaning that in terms of an actual "law of the land", per say.

No NCAA rules are not based on law. I never said they were. BUT----the by-laws, and rules the NCAA has established, is THE LAW, in accordance to being a member.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
I hope it happens just to see if Bert actually stops following college sports. “Burns all of his archived vhs tapes”

The NCAA has been too slow to react to the changes that need to be made. Couple that with their insane use of who to penalize and why has hurt their credibility. I don’t want to see the NCAA eliminated and sure as hell don’t want to see the Congress trying to fix anything, Congress is more inept than the NCAA.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
ADVERTISEMENT