ADVERTISEMENT

***National Title Game Thread***

Who wins?

• Total voters
Michigan has no chance here imo, Brunson won’t let Nova lose this game. This is the most sure I’ve felt of an outcome in a college title game in a long time.
I'm not quite that confident. But damn they(Nova) have been impressive the entire tourney. You just cannot get caught in that though. Michigan is pretty darn good. Defensively they are elite. Offensively they can struggle and that is what I feel will make the difference. If you go 7-8 minutes....hell 4 or 5, without scoring, vs Nova? You are in trouble. And UM has done that. If they can avoid those type of droughts, then this could be really interesting.

Reactions: BANGBRO
TO beat Villanova, you have to be really good defensively AND offensively. For Nova to beat you, they just need to be good at one. That is why they are so good. They can struggle defensively, and still win. They are just so good scoring the ball. But their defense isn't bad either. So when shots aren't falling, defensively they are solid enough to still beat you. Because even when shots aren't dropping, they still have enough offensively to beat you.

Just a really, really good team.

With............"Michigan's A game beating Nova's "A" game..........Or UM's "A" game beating Nova's "B"?

Michigan is good. Really good. And I wouldn't be shocked if Michigan wins. But if they do, I think it will have more to do with how Nova plays, opposed to how Michigan plays. Meaning, if Nova doesn't shoot well from three, then I think Michigan has a terrific chance. And yes, Nova not shooting well could be because of UM's defense. But I think more of it would be due to Nova just being off. They get what they want. Very, very good offensive team. Spread you out. Have five guys who can handle the ball. Five guys who can shoot it. Just very difficult to defend. But defensively, man they are just as good. Its just that their offense gets so much of the spotlight. As it should. But man they made a really, really good KU team look pedestrian.

Michigan's best could beat Nova's "B" game. But no way does thier best beat Nova's best.

I disagree that Michigan's A game might not beat Nova's B. Michigan's A game is really, really good. That might be easy to forget because Michigan has played like shit most of this tournament. MSU and Purdue are both top 10 teams and Michigan beat them by double digits on back to back days in MSG.

I disagree that Michigan's A game might not beat Nova's B. Michigan's A game is really, really good. That might be easy to forget because Michigan has played like shit most of this tournament. MSU and Purdue are both top 10 teams and Michigan beat them by double digits on back to back days in MSG.
I cannot argue with this........At all. I agree to Hail. ANd I said as much in this thread. Nova has been so dominant, that I think some have forgotten just how good Michigan is. And as you said, some of that can be attributed to how they have played. But you are right-------Michigan's "A" game is really good. I expect a really good game Monday. Bring it home for the BT baby!!!

I cannot argue with this........At all. I agree to Hail. ANd I said as much in this thread. Nova has been so dominant, that I think some have forgotten just how good Michigan is. And as you said, some of that can be attributed to how they have played. But you are right-------Michigan's "A" game is really good. I expect a really good game Monday. Bring it home for the BT baby!!!

I hope we can, man.

Reactions: Fatsquirrel
win%20the%20game_2.jpg

Villanova you're a great basketball team and I'd just like to say you're standing on the tracks and the trains coming through buttheads.

Reactions: American Male
It ain't happening for Michigan. Sure, they probably won't give up 95 points, but if Nova is on, there's nothing they can do about it. With 5 guys on the court who can shoot and the way they move the ball, they get what they want. Period. Only shot is if they blew their wad the other night and come out ice cold. Probably not happening since it basically never does. It won't take 18 threes to beat a team that struggles to score.

It ain't happening for Michigan. Sure, they probably won't give up 95 points, but if Nova is on, there's nothing they can do about it. With 5 guys on the court who can shoot and the way they move the ball, they get what they want. Period. Only shot is if they blew their wad the other night and come out ice cold. Probably not happening since it basically never does. It won't take 18 threes to beat a team that struggles to score.

Who saw NC State beating Houston???

Who saw Villanova beating Georgetown???

Who saw Connecticut beating Duke or Kentucky???

Who saw UMBC beating Virginia???

Why yes...Yes it Can happen...And we'll all know in about Ten Hours!!!

SmokinSmile

If Michigan can do a better job of running Villanova off the 3 point line, and I think they can, it will be a damn good game. I think as a defensive unit Michigan rotates as well and as quick as anyone in the country. They've also got more length to throw at Nova.

Villanova does a tremendous job of moving the ball but I think Michigan will hold their own.

Nova will dribble drive right by them then. The only hope for Michigan is that Nova has a 5-35 night from 3pt land.

Think Michigan is one of the toughest defenses 'Nova could face from a matchup standpoint. Wolverines are definitely very alive if they make shots. Not this used to being such a heavy favorite, think Michigan is being discounted too much. Hoping 'Nova can lock down defensively, think that's the best way for them to win.

Michigan is pretty darn good. Defensively they are elite.
Are they elite defensively? Granted it's a small sample size but Loyola got to the rim at will most of the game Saturday, they just couldn't hit a three to save their lives. I'd prefer Michigan win tonight so I don't have to lose a bet but if Nova plays like they have most of the tournament I don't see that happening.

Are they elite defensively? Granted it's a small sample size but Loyola got to the rim at will most of the game Saturday, they just couldn't hit a three to save their lives. I'd prefer Michigan win tonight so I don't have to lose a bet but if Nova plays like they have most of the tournament I don't see that happening.

Well part of that was that Zavier Simpson and Abdur-Rahkman had some of the worst games of their careers offensively so they were not on the court as much as they normally are. Simpson is an absolute bulldog at PG, the best defensive PG I have seen in college since Aaron Craft. Rahkman is not quite on that level but he is a very good defender as well. Charles Mathews is an elite defender at the 3. Duncan Robinson and Moritz Wagner have improved a lot as defenders but they are the weaker links for sure.

Michigan needs to play their A game and hopes that Nova will only bring on their B or even C game, to have a chance at winning. At this stage though, anything can happen. Nova is overwhelming favorite, we will see if they will live up to the expectation.

Yes Michigan is elite defensively.

I’m not sure what game you were watching. Loyola only scored .84 points per possssion which is very low. Michigan gives up some easy buckets at the rim because Beilein would usually rather save fouls than contest shots, but don’t mistake that for Loyola scoring at will. .84 points per possession is an incredibly low number.

For perspective... Loyola’s offensive points per possession this tournament:

Miami: 1.03
Tennessee: 1.09
Nevada: 1.03
Kansas State: 1.16
Michigan 0.84

For more perspective... the worst offensive in the nation averages .86 points per possession.

That game being close wasn’t because of Michigan’s defense. It was close because Michigan’s offense was trash for 30 minutes.

Last edited:
Michigan has been bigger dogs this year and won so people acting like this team can’t do it are idiots. Nova probably wins but Michigan has as good of a shot as anyone to beat them.

Michigan has been bigger dogs this year and won so people acting like this team can’t do it are idiots. Nova probably wins but Michigan has as good of a shot as anyone to beat them.
You haven't played a team on the level of Nova. Michigan has had one of the easiest paths to a national title game in recent memory: #72 Montana, #18 Houston, #29 TAMU, #26 FSU and #31 Loyola (all KenPom based).

Nova has absolutely steamrolled Xavier twice, WVU, Texas Tech and Kansas. Michigan will need to shoot like it did vs A&M and Nova will need to play like it did vs Seton Hall earlier this year for the Wolverines to have a chance.

You haven't played a team on the level of Nova. Michigan has had one of the easiest paths to a national title game in recent memory: #72 Montana, #18 Houston, #29 TAMU, #26 FSU and #31 Loyola (all KenPom based).

Nova has absolutely steamrolled Xavier twice, WVU, Texas Tech and Kansas. Michigan will need to shoot like it did vs A&M and Nova will need to play like it did vs Seton Hall earlier this year for the Wolverines to have a chance.

Michigan was 10.5 point dogs in east Lansing and won. We are 6.5 point dogs today. This isn’t as David vs Goliath as people make it seem. If Michigan plays like we did vs Texas AM, Purdue, or MSU we win. If we play like we did vs Houston Montana FSU Or Loyola we get throttled.

Michigan was 10.5 point dogs in east Lansing and won. We are 6.5 point dogs today. This isn’t as David vs Goliath as people make it seem. If Michigan plays like we did vs Texas AM, Purdue, or MSU we win. If we play like we did vs Houston Montana FSU Or Loyola we get throttled.

But what if Michigan plays like they did vs A&M and Nova plays like it did vs Kansas offensively???

Hey Zavier, you might want to move about 5 steps back and practice for a while.

Even though my Jayhawks lost the other night I’m still excited for tonight’s game. I think both teams match up pretty well and I fully expect a ton of threes. To an outside observer this should be a fantastic game.

Reactions: KisteK
Even though my Jayhawks lost the other night I’m still excited for tonight’s game. I think both teams match up pretty well and I fully expect a ton of threes. To an outside observer this should be a fantastic game.
I hope so. I hate Championship games where it's a blow out early in the game. No matter the sport.

Why would you include the regular season Xavier games for Nova and not include the Purdue and MSU x 2 wins for Michigan?

Michigan plays good D, can score at a high level, and could hurt 'Nova on the offensive glass. However, I'm just a massive fan of Brunson's game. I think Villanova is just too much.

All of this

Michigan's FT shooting baffles me.

I feel like they're always a good FT shooting team.

I hope Nova wins, because I know one too many self righteous Mich fans. But I've got $100 on Michigan on the money line so I don't feel too bad if Michigan wins.

Mochigan getting whatever they please at the rim right now

ADVERTISEMENT