ADVERTISEMENT

National Player of the Year

Who will be the 2020 National Player of the Year?

• Obi Toppin, Dayton

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • Vernon Carey, Duke

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Luka Garza, Iowa

Votes: 48 47.5%
  • Devon Dotson, Kansas

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Jordan Nwora, Louisville

• Markus Howard, Marquette

• Cassius Winston, Michigan State

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • Daniel Oturu, Minnesota

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Myles Powell, Seton Hall

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • Payton Pritchard, Oregon

Votes: 5 5.0%

• Total voters
in the BT Richards MIGHT be the 5th best Big
1st JR Garza 23.0 ppg, 10.8 rpg 1.8 bpg of Iowa
2nd SO Oturo 19.7 ppg, 11.3 rpg, 2.5 bpg of Minnesota
3rd FR Cockburn 14.5 ppg, 9.4 rpg, 1.5 bpg of Illinois
4th SR Teske 13.6 ppg, 7.7 rpg, 2.0 bpg of Michigan

none of these have a easy game night in and night out to pad their stats.

That's a fearsome foursome for sure.

But on the other hand, it looks like all the post players are so bad that everybody is having a career year...

Reactions: dukedevilz
Richards:

15 points and 11 boards last night in 22 minutes. Kentucky is a fringe top 25 team without this guy. He shouldn't be the favorite by any means, but there is talk about this guy being SECPOY. He needs to be at least in the conversation for NPOY at this point.

Richards has a legit shot at SEC POY. But, 100% chance that neither he or anyone else from that conference will be a 1st Team All-American. The 3rd place team in the WCC is almost on par with the top SEC team, if you're using the KenPom metrics.

Richards has a legit shot at SEC POY. But, 100% chance that neither he or anyone else from that conference will be a 1st Team All-American. The 3rd place team in the WCC is almost on par with the top SEC team, if you're using the KenPom metrics.

You don't really believe that to be true do you, metric or no metric?

You don't really believe that to be true do you, metric or no metric?

I mean, Utah State beat both Florida and LSU, didn't they? And Utah State lost to both Saint Mary's and BYU (back when Utah State was healthy and decent). Saint Mary's also beat Wisconsin. And BYU won on the road at Houston. Throw in Gonzaga, and you have 3 very good teams.

If I were waging money, yes, I would favor Kentucky, sure. But, I don't think the gap between LSU/Kentucky is that far from Saint Mary's and BYU. I've watched all of these teams 8-10 times. LSU/Kentucky have better athletes, but SMC/BYU have better shooters. And Gonzaga is better than all 4 of those teams. Petrusev isn't even considered as National Player of the Year candidate by anyone, right? At any rate, I just don't think Richards is a serious candidate for NPOY, because he doesn't have a realistic shot at making 1st Team.

Well, I guess you can look at it that way. I was simply saying, this dude is playing too well to not get recognized outside the conference. If he keeps this up, even if he isn't listed as a favorite, he should be in the discussion.

I mean, Utah State beat both Florida and LSU, didn't they? And Utah State lost to both Saint Mary's and BYU (back when Utah State was healthy and decent). Saint Mary's also beat Wisconsin. And BYU won on the road at Houston. Throw in Gonzaga, and you have 3 very good teams.

If I were waging money, yes, I would favor Kentucky, sure. But, I don't think the gap between LSU/Kentucky is that far from Saint Mary's and BYU. I've watched all of these teams 8-10 times. LSU/Kentucky have better athletes, but SMC/BYU have better shooters. And Gonzaga is better than all 4 of those teams. Petrusev isn't even considered as National Player of the Year candidate by anyone, right? At any rate, I just don't think Richards is a serious candidate for NPOY, because he doesn't have a realistic shot at making 1st Team.

Oh I don't believe Richards in POY worthy either. I'll just say this; if I see Utah State, St. Mary's, or BYU in UKs bracket, I won't be disappointed regardless of the outcome. I hope it's for a trip to the FF. I think Gonzaga is the real deal too.

Reactions: dukedevilz

Gonzaga's two quality wins all year make them better than Kentucky? I just looked at their schedule and its kind of a joke honestly. UK is much more battle tested, I would take us over the Zags.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Well, I guess you can look at it that way. I was simply saying, this dude is playing too well to not get recognized outside the conference. If he keeps this up, even if he isn't listed as a favorite, he should be in the discussion.

He's in the discussion for an All-American candidate, sure. But not National Player of the Year. If the season ended today, I think 3rd Team All-American might be fair.

Gonzaga's two quality wins all year make them better than Kentucky? I just looked at their schedule and its kind of a joke honestly. UK is much more battle tested, I would take us over the Zags.

They're 4-1 in Quad 1 Games. #3 in the Net, #2 in the BPI, #2 in Sagarin, #4 in KenPom. They have just as many top 50 road wins as Kentucky.

I will concede that this Gonzaga team isn't as good as last year, or 2017, or even 2015, but they're at least more consistent than Kentucky. Can Kentucky beat Gonzaga? Yes, of course. They're not world-beaters. I will say, however, that Gonzaga has actually looked A LOT better than they did in December. And as result, they've climbed up to #4 in the KenPom rankings.

Nwora had 37 last night. 19.5 ppg and 7.5 rebounds per game, shooting 47% from field and 44% from 3 this season. Pretty wild

I voted Toppin, but I think Pritchard has been the best player I've seen so far this year. In a crowded field of star PG's, he has pulled away from the pack pretty convincingly.

What has he done so convincingly? I haven't watched much Oregon, but the Pac12 is trash (again).

What has he done so convincingly? I haven't watched much Oregon, but the Pac12 is trash (again).

Pac12 is not trash. You should watch. It's the strongest its been since 2017. Oregon, Arizona, Washington, Colorado are all quality teams.

Check out his stats. I bet they are better than any other PG out there.

19.7 on 48FG%, 41% on 3s. 5.8apg 4.3rpg, 1.7spg.

Compared to your guy...

18.0 on 43FG%, 39% from 3, 5.9apg 3.2rpg, 1.3spg.

And he has his team up to #11 in the Poll.

And every game I watch he seems to take over and make massive plays similar to the link I posted. He had a massive game this weekend as well.

Pac12 is not trash. You should watch. It's the strongest its been since 2017. Oregon, Arizona, Washington, Colorado are all quality teams.

Compared to your guy...

And every game I watch he seems to take over and make massive plays similar to the link I posted. He had a massive game this weekend as well.

I love Prichard's game. But I watched Arizona and Washington last night and I don't know that I'd hold these two up as being proof that the Pac 12 is good. Washington is 12-10.

I love Prichard's game. But I watched Arizona and Washington last night and I don't know that I'd hold these two up as being proof that the Pac 12 is good. Washington is 12-10.

Washington has struggled without Quade Green, going 1-6 in his absence. They only have 4 other scholarship guards on the team. Even with all the recent losses, they're still in the top 50 for NET and KenPom. I know they won't make the tournament now, but they were probably a tournament team with Quade Green.

As far as the Pac-12, I find this interesting. Look at the current conference leaders of the other power conferences. 4 of those 6 teams have lost to a Pac-12 school.

Louisville
Baylor
Seton Hall

Michigan State/Illinois
LSU

Baylor lost to Washington
Seton Hall lost to Oregon
Illinois lost to Arizona
LSU lost to USC
(and Kentucky lost to Utah)

The Pac-12 isn't as good as the Big Ten, Big XII, or Big East. But, they're much, much improved from last year.

UK Mark Stoops>Iowa Mark Stoops.
asssssshooolllleeee
UK Ahmad Flagner>Iowa Ahmad Wagner

*I don't have anything basketball related other than the obvious.
Mark Stoops was a player not a coach so nothing to compare them with
Wagner was a BB player for Iowa and Hawk fans wanted him to play FB rather than BB
he is playing FB for Kentucky again nothing to compare so try again.

No shit? I didn't know that.
yes Mark Stoops played defense just like his brothers all played under Fry @ Iowa.

Wagner 99% of Hawks fan said that he should have played FB instead of BB, EVEN the FB staff wanted him to play for them but he went to Kentucky.

most wished him nothing but the best of success. sometimes kids just choose the wrong sport. Wagner was one of those.

UK Mark Stoops>Iowa Mark Stoops.
asssssshooolllleeee
UK Ahmad Flagner>Iowa Ahmad Wagner
(Oops, you misspelled a**hole, and therefore invalidated your comparison. Those are the rules. I didn't make them.....:D)

*I don't have anything basketball related other than the obvious. (And the obvious being Iowa > Kentucky?)
I appreciate the effort. ;)

Reactions: lurkeraspect84

Compared to your guy...

It wasn't calling you out. Honestly haven't watched him and wondered what was so convincingly since the stats are only slightly better.

Disagree on pac12 tho... They trash

ADVERTISEMENT