ADVERTISEMENT

National Player of the Year

Who will be the 2020 National Player of the Year?

• Obi Toppin, Dayton

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • Vernon Carey, Duke

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Luka Garza, Iowa

Votes: 48 47.5%
  • Devon Dotson, Kansas

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Jordan Nwora, Louisville

• Markus Howard, Marquette

• Cassius Winston, Michigan State

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • Daniel Oturu, Minnesota

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Myles Powell, Seton Hall

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • Payton Pritchard, Oregon

Votes: 5 5.0%

• Total voters

dukedevilz

Apr 3, 2002
No clear-cut leader like we've had in previous seasons. Who do you think will win this award?

I have no idea but on Saturday we found out that Dok is much more important to the success of Kansas than Dotson is.

Kinda crazy that he probably has little to no chance at the AA team while Dotson is still a threat to win NPOY.

Nobody on that list.

Who are we missing that has a realistic shot at winning NPOY?

I have no idea but on Saturday we found out that Dok is much more important to the success of Kansas than Dotson is.

Kinda crazy that he probably has little to no chance at the AA team while Dotson is still a threat to win NPOY.

Dok can be an All-American, absolutely. If the season ended today I think they're both All-Americans. I didn't want to include him as a candidate because Dotson was already on there. I figured that would dilute the numbers for both of them.

Nobody on that list.
what about Garza, 23.2 ppg, 10.3 rpg up from 13.1 ppg, 4.5 rpg and is the main reason Why is Iowa is where they are right now in the rankings.

now how many on that list or even off that list deserves it more? just 1 of 2 P5 players to avg 20+ ppg and 10+ rpg.

If Iowa finished the season top 10 or so I say give it to Garza. I think it should always go to the best player on a really good team. I think Pritchard is also a strong candidate, as is Carey.

Reactions: hawkit3113
If Iowa finished the season top 10 or so I say give it to Garza. I think it should always go to the best player on a really good team. I think Pritchard is also a strong candidate, as is Carey.
maybe but a player that can take a team on his back like Garza has should be at the top of the list, remember Iowa was picked to finish 10th or worse plus losing 2 starters are doing pretty good with him dominating with constant DBL and some times Triple teams.

maybe but a player that can take a team on his back like Garza has should be at the top of the list, remember Iowa was picked to finish 10th or worse plus losing 2 starters are doing pretty good with him dominating with constant DBL and some times Triple teams.
He’s definitely a first team All American. I’m but if Iowa finished let’s say 20th and 4th in the Big Ten, myself and most voters will have a hard time giving him NPOY

From what I understand, Garza’s stats are almost exactly the same as they were last year, so he shouldn’t be considered.
last year he avg'd 13.1 ppg and 4.5 rpg, the 1 stat that I did not use was he had 17 blocks in 32 games this season he has 32 blocks in 19 games, this years stats are no where near last years stats.

coming into the season the worry was who was going to replace who as a JR left for the NBA, his stats were
14.5 ppg, 7.6 rpg and had 18 blocks the bad was he ended up with 92 TO's, this season thru 19 games Garza has 27 TO's.

Garza is blowing last seasons stats out of the water and Cook's stats as well. again Iowa lost 2 starters and yet Iowa keeps climbing in the polls, Kenpom, BPI, Net and the brackets as high as a 4 seed and as low as a 6 seed. not bad for a team that was projected to finish 10th or worse and after losing 2 starters.

It's a 5 man race between Toppin, Pritchard, Carey, Dotson and Myles Powell imo.

Garza doesn't play on a good enough team to be considered, NPOYs nearly always come from title contenders.

It's a 5 man race between Toppin, Pritchard, Carey, Dotson and Myles Powell imo.

Garza doesn't play on a good enough team to be considered, NPOYs nearly always come from title contenders.
Iowa this season is a #4 seed and climbing
past success of teams should have absolutely no impact on this years players.
Garza leads the BT in scoring and is 2nd in rebounding. W/O Garza Iowa would not be 5-3 14-5 #18 in the polls, #14 by Kenpom. #22 bt the NET rankings. they are 4-2 vs top 25 teams. name me the teams in the top 25 can claim that. like I said W/O Garza they are not at that level, NPOY canidates do that for their teams.

Unfortunately, this does not really give us the NPOY. It gives us the best NPOY that played on a top ten Basketball team from the PAC12, ACC or BIG Ten conferences.

Unfortunately, this does not really give us the NPOY. It gives us the best NPOY that played on a top ten Basketball team from the PAC12, ACC or BIG Ten conferences.
actually Garza does play in the BT and he is dominating the BT so it must be award for ACC teams only, namely Duke, UNCheat and Kentucky of the SEC.

the NPOY has to come from one of those 3 schools and only from those schools.

must play for Duke, UNCheats or Kentucky the only teams that are allowed to have NPOY.

just found him, shocking he plays for Kentucky stats
14.3 ppg, 8.1 rpg, 2.5 bpg

yeah a real dominating player

I think I’m with dragon hawk on this one. Nick Richards hasn’t really done anything to be a mandatory addition to all NPOY finalist lists. He’s a solid player but he’s only been playing at a high level for a month now. I feel like at best he has a shot at honorable mention AA but that’s it. I’m probably wrong but I just looked at his resume. Tell me why he should be included on any top 10 player list?

Reactions: MileHighSpartan
I think I’m with dragon hawk on this one. Nick Richards hasn’t really done anything to be a mandatory addition to all NPOY finalist lists. He’s a solid player but he’s only been playing at a high level for a month now. I feel like at best he has a shot at honorable mention AA but that’s it. I’m probably wrong but I just looked at his resume. Tell me why he should be included on any top 10 player list?

Because he’d average 30 and 10 anywhere else. Duh.

Luke Garza is averaging 13 PPG and 6 RPG while shooting 45FG% this year - I think it’s Richards could double those numbers.
where are you getting those stats as he is avg'ing 28 ppg just in BT play,

so your numbers are pure BS in nature.

As far as Garza is concerned, yes, he absolutely is a legitimate candidate. It wouldn't be unprecedented for a guy from someone outside the top 10 to win NPOY. Take a look at the past 25 winners (AP) and where their teams were ranked before the NCAA Tournament.

2019: Zion Williamson, Duke- #1
2018: Jalen Brunson, Villanova- #2
2017: Frank Mason, Kansas- #3
2016: Denzel Valentine, Michigan State- #2
2015: Frank Kaminsky, Wisconsin- #3
2014: Doug McDermott, Creighton- #16
2013: Trey Burke, Michigan- #10
2012: Anthony Davis, Kentucky- #1
2011: Jimmer Fredette, BYU- #10
2010: Evan Turner, Ohio State- #5
2009: Blake Griffin, Oklahoma- #7
2008: Tyler Hansbrough, North Carolina- #1
2007: Kevin Durrant, Texas- #11
2006: JJ Redick, Duke- #1
2005: Andrew Bogut, Utah- #18
2004: Jameer Nelson, St.Joseph's- #5
2003: David West, Xavier- #12
2002: Jay Williams, Duke- #1
2001: Shane Battier, Duke- #1
2000: Kenyon Martin, Cincinnati- #7
1999: Elton Brand, Duke- #1
1998: Antawn Jamison, North Carolina- #1
1997: Tim Duncan, Wake Forest- #9
1996: Marcus Camby, UMass- #1
1995: Joe Smith, Maryland- #10

Now, having said that, you need to have a really special season to win NPOY if you're not playing for a top 10 team. I think you could make the argument that Garza has been more effective than both Bogut and West.

I voted for Payton Pritchard. Obi Toppin and Garza battling for second at this point. Things can certainly change in the next month and a half.

just found him, shocking he plays for Kentucky stats
14.3 ppg, 8.1 rpg, 2.5 bpg

yeah a real dominating player

I don't think Richards is a legit candidate for NPOY. But, I do find it baffling that you really didn't know who he is. If you're going to have a discussion on some of the best players on the national level, it would be advisable to know a few guys that play outside of your conference.

Luke Garza is averaging 13 PPG and 6 RPG while shooting 45FG% this year - I think it’s Richards could double those numbers.
Lets no go crazy here-Garza is a better player than Richards and I don't think its all that close.

I'm on board with the idea that Garza might be the best player in the country but I don't think he should get that award if Iowa slips out of the top 20 in the AP poll.

To me, MVP and NPOY is a combination of the fact that you're one of the most impactful players in the country and your efforts are leading to your team being a national title contender.

I voted Toppin, but I think Pritchard has been the best player I've seen so far this year. In a crowded field of star PG's, he has pulled away from the pack pretty convincingly.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Lets no go crazy here-Garza is a better player than Richards and I don't think its all that close.

I'm on board with the idea that Garza might be the best player in the country but I don't think he should get that award if Iowa slips out of the top 20 in the AP poll.

To me, MVP and NPOY is a combination of the fact that you're one of the most impactful players in the country and your efforts are leading to your team being a national title contender.
For ****s sake.

ADVERTISEMENT