ADVERTISEMENT

Naismith coach of the year nominees announced

Why would Calipari be on the list? Barnes probably shouldn’t be either. I’m pretty sure they’re ranked lower than just about every preseason ranking.

Reactions: Montana81
Why would Calipari be on the list? Barnes probably shouldn’t be either. I’m pretty sure they’re ranked lower than just about every preseason ranking.

Right. I don’t think any of Calipari, Barnes, Bennett, Few, K, or Williams should be on there. Those teams are pretty much doing what they’re supposed to.

What stands out though, is that all those guys ARE on there, and every other coach currently ranked in the top 12 of the ap, EXCEPT Calipari.

Things that make Kentucky fans go hmmmm.

And it’s not like he’s on the border sitting at #11 or 12. We were ranked 4th.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
They have announced the finalists, in your opinion who wins?

Name School Conference
Rick Barnes Tennessee SEC
Chris Beard Texas Tech Big 12
John Beilein Michigan Big Ten
Tony Bennett Virginia ACC
Mark Few Gonzaga WCC
Tom Izzo Michigan State Big Ten
Mike Krzyewski Duke ACC
Chris Mack Louisville ACC
Eric Musselman Nevada Mountain West
Nate Oats Buffalo MAC
Matt Painter Purdue Big Ten
Kelvin Sampson Houston AAC
Roy Williams North Carolina ACC
Steve Wojciechowski Marquette Big East
Mike Young Wofford SoCon

I think it comes down to Barnes, beard, and of course Mack. I think Mack deserves it with the shitstorm he walked into and has Louisville playing well. Rick Barnes also deserves it considering he has no guys in the top 150 and they are a damn good team. Beard has also done a phenomenal job. In your opinion who deserves it this yr?
Barnes is my choice.

Texas Tech was picked 7th in the Big 12 in the preseason poll after losing so much production off last year's team. Beard has them in the fight for the Big 12 regular season title.

I'd lean Beard but Purdue is ranked 14th after having lost four multi year starters. Painter has done a masterful job with a roster less talented than 2/3 of the teams in the Big Ten IMO.

I think Mack was looking strong but they've lost 5 of 7. Not to mention he lost to Indiana, which should have eliminated him right there.

TTU is ranked 11th after losing 5 major contributors off last year's Elite 8 team.

Barnes has done more with less.

Painter lost four senior starters with a combined 5,000+ career points. Don’t think he will win, but he should be finish top 5 IMO.

Reactions: Montana81
Barnes has done more with less.

He returned nearly his entire rotation and were a preseason top 10 team. He’s done a great job turning these guys into a top 10 team over the last 3 years. Not just this year.

I think it’s Beard myself. Probably Painter after that.

There’s probably some guy at a mid or low major out there as well that’s won 20 games after winning 6 last year.

He returned nearly his entire rotation and were a preseason top 10 team. He’s done a great job turning these guys into a top 10 team over the last 3 years. Not just this year.

Your Kung Fu is weak, grasshopper.

He built a team of nothing recruits predicted to be last in the SEC last year into a SEC Championship and Tourney team. He continued the build of the same players to a top national contender achieving #1 status for 4 weeks with a win over a #1 team on a neutral court and the only losses were from elite teams this year so far.

I'm not sure about Barnes yet. They just got into the meat of their schedule and not doing so well. If we beat them Sat, then no.

I'm going with Sampson for now.

There are 4 coaches in the country with 2 or fewer losses. One of them coaches in the AAC. One of them coaches in the MWC. One of them coaches in the WCC. And one of them coaches in the ACC.

How is this even a discussion?

There are 4 coaches in the country with 2 or fewer losses. One of them coaches in the AAC. One of them coaches in the MWC. One of them coaches in the WCC. And one of them coaches in the ACC.

The ACC team played the 252nd ranked ooc schedule in the country. And were also preseason top 10 after returning most of their rotation from a top overall seed.

Bennett’s a hell of a coach for turning Virginia into what he has. But his standards are higher now. It’s a compliment.

Reactions: jhmossy
The ACC team played the 252nd ranked ooc schedule in the country. And were also preseason top 10 after returning most of their rotation from a top overall seed.

Bennett’s a hell of a coach for turning Virginia into what he has. But his standards are higher now. It’s a compliment.

I don't think that factors in to the equation. Better SOS than half of the top ten, with one of the best records (probably the best).

Reactions: Dward13 and jhmossy
Bennett’s done a nice job. But better than Beard? No.

Sampson might have done the best work of all. And it’s no one year wonder. Houston was great last season. Hell, they might’ve ended up in the final if that Michigan prayer weren’t answered.

And our total SOS is still better than Kentucky's.

Reactions: sgrooms

I think Bennett has an outside shot, but he’s returned pretty much everyone and they are primed for a deep run. Same can be said for Barnes but Tennessee is even better than last yr. I think Mack, beard, oats, or Barnes wins the award.

I think Bennett has an outside shot, but he’s returned pretty much everyone and they are primed for a deep run. Same can be said for Barnes but Tennessee is even better than last yr. I think Mack, beard, oats, or Barnes wins the award.

I know that. I don't think Bennett will win it this year. I think there are plenty of other coaches that are just as, if not more, deserving of the award. I am fine with Bennett not wining it again bc that means our expectations are consistently through the roof.

Reactions: Wall2Boogie
I know that. I don't think Bennett will win it this year. I think there are plenty of other coaches that are just as, if not more, deserving of the award. I am fine with Bennett not wining it again bc that means our expectations are consistently through the roof.
Damn right, Bennett is becoming the dabo Sweeney of college basketball

In all seriousness....what is Mack's argument vs the rest?

How much coaching has Coach K done this year really though

In all seriousness....what is Mack's argument vs the rest?
Mack walked into a shithole pun intended. He didn’t even have enough players to make a full team. He has turned them into a top 20 team. Pretty damn impressive considering nobody wanted that job. He should of beat duke, he beat teams like unc. Dude has earned it. I’m no Louisville fan either but give credit where it’s due

Reactions: UL_1986
Mack walked into a shithole pun intended. He didn’t even have enough players to make a full team. He has turned them into a top 20 team. Pretty damn impressive considering nobody wanted that job. He should of beat duke, he beat teams like unc. Dude has earned it. I’m no Louisville fan either but give credit where it’s due

They’re not a top 20 team. And they’re in the middle of an awful stretch. I’d say he’s done more or less what was expected overall. It’s not as if there’s no talent on the roster.

I don’t see how he could possibly get the nod over Beard. Or a few others.

Reactions: GE Nole
Then why was Tennessee in the top 5 of basically every preseason poll?
Tennessee was ranked 6th and that is clearly because of Barnes coaching and they have lived up to it.

I'm sure it bothers Cal more than he'll admit, but he definitely deserves to be mentioned on that list. Not saying he should win it, or even be at the top of the list, but he deserves to be on there. This has been one of his better overall coaching jobs in his tenure at UK IMO. He's always been a phenomenal defensive coach, but he's running really good O this year too. Love what he's done with RT, love PJ's expanded game and role, love the stuff he runs with Tyler and KJ. I love what he's trying to get Ashton to do every game, and when Ashton does it we're pretty damn good. But alas, Frosh are gonna Frosh sometimes

If Cal was a little less stubborn he'd have a tremendous legacy. He gets tight and starts playing the shot clock game with a lead. Most of the time it works out, but it's bit him in the ass a few times when he could've been running the other team out of the gym. He doesn't adjust at halftime a lot. He sticks with his game plan that he thinks his team can win with. Every coach has flaws, his have cost him a few times (as I'm sure it has many great coaches).

Overall though, he is a way better coach than the majority of CBB fans believe. What he's done this decade is pretty freaking incredible. He gets good players, but revamping the team every year and having the majority of them be contenders is impressive to me. He should definitely have, at the least, one more championship, but it's March Madness baby!!! You never know when Sam Dekker's going to be hitting step back NBA 3's over a 7-footer all night (then proceed to miss everything and airball 2 wide open 3's the next game).

Basically what I'm saying is Cal's the man and f**k Sam Dekker.

....and Chris Beard should probably be the frontrunner.

I can’t figure out why so many people are saying Barnes. His team is about ranked where they were expected to be and they’ve lost all of their games against top tier teams except one.

Reactions: Dward13
They’re not a top 20 team. And they’re in the middle of an awful stretch. I’d say he’s done more or less what was expected overall. It’s not as if there’s no talent on the roster.

I don’t see how he could possibly get the nod over Beard. Or a few others.

Beard seems to be the CLEAR choice. Not sure how it’s even much of a discussion.

Beard seems to be the CLEAR choice. Not sure how it’s even much of a discussion.
I've been a fan of your posting for years, Is there anyone or anything you like about the SEC?

Just quoted a random post, should have probably quoted the one prior.

I've been a fan of your posting for years, Is there anyone or anything you like about the SEC?

Just quoted a random post, should have probably quoted the one prior.

I really respect Calipari and how he isn’t afraid to speak his mind on hot topic issues. He’s also a hell of a coach/ego manager.

I’m pretty jealous of the passion of SEC fan bases regardless of whether a program is historically great or not. Look at South Carolina in football. Awful program over the decades but they still fill that stadium. FSU’s fan base is embarrassing in comparison.

Also, I loved me some Nolan Richardson and the 40 minutes of Hell Razorbacks. Man, those were some fun teams. Bud Walton Arena used to rock!

**edit for dumb assery.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT