ADVERTISEMENT

Naismith coach of the year nominees announced

Wall2Boogie

Jan 28, 2010
They have announced the finalists, in your opinion who wins?

Name School Conference
Rick Barnes Tennessee SEC
Chris Beard Texas Tech Big 12
John Beilein Michigan Big Ten
Tony Bennett Virginia ACC
Mark Few Gonzaga WCC
Tom Izzo Michigan State Big Ten
Mike Krzyewski Duke ACC
Chris Mack Louisville ACC
Eric Musselman Nevada Mountain West
Nate Oats Buffalo MAC
Matt Painter Purdue Big Ten
Kelvin Sampson Houston AAC
Roy Williams North Carolina ACC
Steve Wojciechowski Marquette Big East
Mike Young Wofford SoCon

I think it comes down to Barnes, beard, and of course Mack. I think Mack deserves it with the shitstorm he walked into and has Louisville playing well. Rick Barnes also deserves it considering he has no guys in the top 150 and they are a damn good team. Beard has also done a phenomenal job. In your opinion who deserves it this yr?

Reactions: RollTide7277
They have announced the finalists, in your opinion who wins?

Name School Conference
Rick Barnes Tennessee SEC
Chris Beard Texas Tech Big 12
John Beilein Michigan Big Ten
Tony Bennett Virginia ACC
Mark Few Gonzaga WCC
Tom Izzo Michigan State Big Ten
Mike Krzyewski Duke ACC
Chris Mack Louisville ACC
Eric Musselman Nevada Mountain West
Nate Oats Buffalo MAC
Matt Painter Purdue Big Ten
Kelvin Sampson Houston AAC
Roy Williams North Carolina ACC
Steve Wojciechowski Marquette Big East
Mike Young Wofford SoCon

I think it comes down to Barnes, beard, and of course Mack. I think Mack deserves it with the shitstorm he walked into and has Louisville playing well. Rick Barnes also deserves it considering he has no guys in the top 150 and they are a damn good team. Beard has also done a phenomenal job. In your opinion who deserves it this yr?
Mack would probably get my vote too. I like Oats and Sampson this year too.

Several names on there are head scratchers as to why they would even be nominated to me. Not any bad coaches on the list, but a bunch of coaches that have done exactly what was expected of them this season.

Mack would probably get my vote too. I like Oats and Sampson this year too.

Several names on there are head scratchers as to why they would even be nominated to me. Not any bad coaches on the list, but a bunch of coaches that have done exactly what was expected of them this season.
Agreed, oats had done wonders with buffalo and has them ranked. No t sure why they have guys like few, k, Williams, or Izzo on there. They have great players and teams every year. What Mack has done with Louisville is amazing. They didn’t even have enough players to start the season and now ranked in the top 20. Louisville hit s home run hiring Mack

Reactions: kl40504
I could see that argument. Still think the three I mentioned have exceeded expectations more.
I don’t see Sampson winning, because of his shady past at Oklahoma, and at Indiana. Don’t get me wrong, he’s done a hell of a job, I just don’t see the committee giving him the award
Agree with this. Still think he is #3 at worst on this list in terms of deserving it though. That is assuming he isn't still cheating.

Chris Beard no questions asked, he's a future blueblood coach in the making.

Reactions: TechFan88
I'd lean Beard but Purdue is ranked 14th after having lost four multi year starters. Painter has done a masterful job with a roster less talented than 2/3 of the teams in the Big Ten IMO.

I think Mack was looking strong but they've lost 5 of 7. Not to mention he lost to Indiana, which should have eliminated him right there.

Reactions: jcg_94
Will Wade must have a lot of enemies out there, the LSU turn around has been impressive. Maybe the subpoena things disqualified him.

Reactions: Titan_Town
Will Wade must have a lot of enemies out there, the LSU turn around has been impressive. Maybe the subpoena things disqualified him.

I would think it is exactly that. Can't say I blame the voters, but it's also a bit hypocritical when you have known cheaters like Roy Williams and Sampson on the list.

Agreed. And, how could you have him and not Cal? Like seeing Roy get some love.
Duke's still a 1 seed despite facing tremendous adversity like Zion's poked eye, Zion's busted shoe, Tre's separated shoulder, AOC's unfortunate hairstyle choices and Jack White's 28 straight missed 3s.

A lesser coach would have wilted under the immense pressure.

Duke's still a 1 seed despite facing tremendous adversity like Zion's poked eye, Zion's busted shoe, Tre's separated shoulder, AOC's unfortunate hairstyle choices and Jack White's 28 straight missed 3s.

A lesser coach would have wilted under the immense pressure.
Lol

Reactions: RollTide7277
UK was preseason #1 so they've underachieved at this point by losing to the likes of Alabama and Seton Hall plus almost blowing it to a Mike Anderson led Arkansas team at home.

3 losses by a combined 5 points since the first game of the year, and just beat the brakes off of the #1 team in the country so that your boys could have the top spot again.

Didn’t last long, but it was a nice gift.

I think you guys are missing the obvious choice. If you've been reading these boards you'd know that Duke's roster without Zion is somewhere between Tennessee Tech and Savannah State in terms of raw talent. And Coach K took this gang of talentless rejects that no other team in the country wanted, and beat Florida State and Syracuse on the road. I mean, are you serious?? How is that possible? Winning just one game with that roster is a coaching miracle, let alone two.

Sorry, shun but ole Roy has zero chance to win that award. Please don’t cut me up into pieces

!!!!!!!SMILE!!!!!!! !!!!!!!GO BIG BLUE!!!!!!!!!
Hi Wall2Boogie...SMILE...no problem my friend.

!!!!!!!!!!!! GO TAR HEELS !!!!!!!!!!!!

Late January I probably would have said Mack. But Louisville has lost 5 of their last 6, including last night to Boston College.

Not really sure at this point. Lots of good candidates, not one that's head and shoulders above the rest. Kelvin Samspon, Nate Oats, John Beilein, Rick Barnes, Chris Beard, and Mark Few all seem like solid candidates.

Mack? What? Pitino wasn’t fired because he couldn’t coach or recruit. I think Louisville is about where most expected.

Barnes
Beard
Beilein
Painter

Not sure the 5th.

Late January I probably would have said Mack. But Louisville has lost 5 of their last 6, including last night to Boston College.

Not really sure at this point. Lots of good candidates, not one that's head and shoulders above the rest. Kelvin Samspon, Nate Oats, John Beilein, Rick Barnes, Chris Beard, and Mark Few all seem like solid candidates.

ADVERTISEMENT