ADVERTISEMENT

My son is sick........

Oh FML, sorry to hear it Borden... hope your boy is fine and can get back to the service he wants to provide!

On a side note; is that actually how it works? Like, if you are in service that long, you get medical care for life? I don't know much about that stuff, but that seems pretty crazy...?
Not that I am aware of. i was in the service some 20 years ago, so a lot has changed. I do not know what benefits, IF any, he will have available. My guess is not many,,,if any. If discharged, and that is highly likely, he will have less than 180 days of service. Which means he could receive an uncharacterized discharge. Which could mean no benefits. I really do not know.

Thanks for the reply and kind words...

Reactions: TheDude1
Not that I am aware of. i was in the service some 20 years ago, so a lot has changed. I do not know what benefits, IF any, he will have available. My guess is not many,,,if any. If discharged, and that is highly likely, he will have less than 180 days of service. Which means he could receive an uncharacterized discharge. Which could mean no benefits. I really do not know.

Thanks for the reply and kind words...

Gotcha; had no idea myself. Anyway... keep us informed!

Nothing showed on the EP study. But that doesn't really mean much. WHen I had my EP test, they couldn't pin-point the electrical disturbance. So more test, and more test. But hey, it's on the Navy. So.........test away. SOn is in good spirits. Worried about his enlistement. But as I told him this morning-------"that is the least of our worries. Lets get to the bottom of what is going on". Then we will worry about your time with the Navy.

All is the same, really. Test come back good. Though his rhyhm was a little off. Seems to have some lung issues as well. I had to leave today; scheduled for a 3 game series at KCU. So on my way to good old Grayson, Kentucky.
Then back to Chicago on Sunday.
Thanks for the prayers.

Reactions: American Male
Son is coming home Tuesday. Receiving a general discharge, and will be eligible(with waiver) to re-eanter in 6 months. Apparently anxiety is the culprit here. I guess. No answers from the test. Which was good------and well bad. No answer means they(Navy) cannot eliminate a possible heart issue. BUT.........it also means they cant say its a heart issue. I guess that is where the general discharge comes in. His RE code(re-entry code) allows him to reapply, with a waiver. So we shall see.

Thanks for all the kind thoughts. And prayers. Hopefully this is just a speed bump. He wants to be a Navy man. But as I told him---"son, if its not God's plan, then its not". Come home, get better, lets pry on it, and go from there. If the doctors and the Navy clears you, then great. If not, then not the end of the world.

Again, thanks.

Son is coming home Tuesday. Receiving a general discharge, and will be eligible(with waiver) to re-eanter in 6 months. Apparently anxiety is the culprit here. I guess. No answers from the test. Which was good------and well bad. No answer means they(Navy) cannot eliminate a possible heart issue. BUT.........it also means they cant say its a heart issue. I guess that is where the general discharge comes in. His RE code(re-entry code) allows him to reapply, with a waiver. So we shall see.

Thanks for all the kind thoughts. And prayers. Hopefully this is just a speed bump. He wants to be a Navy man. But as I told him---"son, if its not God's plan, then its not". Come home, get better, lets pry on it, and go from there. If the doctors and the Navy clears you, then great. If not, then not the end of the world.

Again, thanks.
A medical separation under 180 days of service should usually be entry level separation, not a general discharge. A general discharge (even under honorable conditions) is not a good thing. If he got a general discharge, even if it's a RE-1, you can bet there's probably more to the story.

A medical separation under 180 days of service should be entry level separation, not a general discharge. A general discharge (even under honorable conditions) is not a good thing. If he got a general discharge, even if it's a RE-1, you can bet there's more to the story.
I thought the same. I was told this by my sons mother. I will talk to him in the morning. I highly doubt his separation is a general discharge. That's an administrative discharge. His separation has zero to do with his conduct. None at all. So its impossible for him to receive this. Again, I was not really paying that much attention(to her). But after posting this, I was like---------"hey, wait".

I'm almost certain his discharge will be an ELS(Entry level Separation). If not, there are a lot of questions I will have. I mean he's in the hospital; or was. I was told by the doc, a Navy doctor, that he was having rhythm issues. And more than likely, it would casue him to be sent home.

I thought the same. I was told this by my sons mother. I will talk to him in the morning. I highly doubt his separation is a general discharge. That's an administrative discharge. His separation has zero to do with his conduct. None at all. So its impossible for him to receive this. Again, I was not really paying that much attention(to her). But after posting this, I was like---------"hey, wait".

I'm almost certain his discharge will be an ELS(Entry level Separation). If not, there are a lot of questions I will have. I mean he's in the hospital; or was. I was told by the doc, a Navy doctor, that he was having rhythm issues. And more than likely, it would casue him to be sent home.
Glad to hear he is ok. Tell him to keep an eye on his paperwork before discharge so he knows what he is getting. Tell him not to sign anything he doesn't read first.

It's hard for me to accept all the different things anxiety can do to you physically. I had a bout with some pretty bad anxiety issues a few years ago.

I couldn't keep anything down for about 2 weeks and lost about 20 pounds during that time.

Came out of nowhere too. I had nothing to be anxious about. Was just sitting on my couch watching Netflix one day and bam, my heart just started racing out of nowhere. I had never dealt with it before so I thought I was dying.

Hopefully it is just anxiety for your son and he can get it under control quickly.

Just saw this thread. Glad things worked out for your son.

As a former Navy career counselor AND disabled veteran here’s some friendly advice:

Document EVERYTHING. You wrote a check to the United States of America payable up to and including your life when you signed up. Make damn sure Uncle Sam keeps his end of the bargain.

I left service during the 1st Gulf War so medical records have probably changed. However the format is now (Paper or digital), get your own copy of it. You will need it, because you will eventually have to deal with the Veterans Administration. Disability and dealing with the VA is its own topic.

Make sure your educational benefits are in order before you separate from service. Use them. You would be surprised at how much college credit can be given for military service.

I have a heart condition too. Funny thing is, the Navy didn’t find my tachycardia, the VA did. I’m lucky enough to get treated at a VA hospital partnered with a teaching medical university. They found my issue and it’s been in check for close to 20 years now.

Good luck to your son. From what you posted, he seems like a quality young man and the Navy needs more sailors like him.

Your in my prayers and fight like hell. My son was born with DS and had a serious of medical issues. Long days and always be his loudest advocate

Just saw this thread. Glad things worked out for your son.

As a former Navy career counselor AND disabled veteran here’s some friendly advice:

Document EVERYTHING. You wrote a check to the United States of America payable up to and including your life when you signed up. Make damn sure Uncle Sam keeps his end of the bargain.

I left service during the 1st Gulf War so medical records have probably changed. However the format is now (Paper or digital), get your own copy of it. You will need it, because you will eventually have to deal with the Veterans Administration. Disability and dealing with the VA is its own topic.

Make sure your educational benefits are in order before you separate from service. Use them. You would be surprised at how much college credit can be given for military service.

I have a heart condition too. Funny thing is, the Navy didn’t find my tachycardia, the VA did. I’m lucky enough to get treated at a VA hospital partnered with a teaching medical university. They found my issue and it’s been in check for close to 20 years now.

Good luck to your son. From what you posted, he seems like a quality young man and the Navy needs more sailors like him.
Can you message me with more information? Or just tell me here; makes no difference. He was sent to hospital, then SEPS. he was 4 weeks into his training. His discharge is defined as ELS; Entry Level Separation. The code he told me was 2307? Which is medical. I think his RE code is that which will require a waiver. THis is new to me as I served some 20 years ago. My son wants to be a police officer, so I am worried about the type of disharge he will receive. It could seriously hamper his ability to do that.

So my question is, what is a 2307? I looked it up, but the definition wasn't that clear. I understand most of conditions that come along with a separation, with less than 180 days of service. Kinda of, though. If his condition is a permanent disqualification, due to a medical issue, will he be entitled for any type of VA benefits?

I hate that I cannot be there to help him with his understanding of what he is signing. I mean he's a 19 year-old kid. At this point, it seems he's just ready to come home; which I cannot say I blame him. According to him, SEPS isn't the greatest place to be. So my concern with that is, he will, or has signed whatever, just to speed things up. It went from a no idea when he was coming home, to suddenly coming home Tuesday. That concerns me.

I raised my son with a simple , but very important basis: "Always do what you say you are going to do. Your word is the most important thing you will ever have. Lose that, and you lose trust. So honor any and all commitments you make". Do that, and the rest will fall in place. I just hope the Navy does the same. I say this b/c I know my child. I know he went there and honored his commitment. I just want the Navy to do the same.

Your in my prayers and fight like hell. My son was born with DS and had a serious of medical issues. Long days and always be his loudest advocate
Thanks Doc. The panic I felt when I got that call was beyond ,well, I really dunno. A ton of emotions. Fear. Anxiety. Worried. Confusion. And now, its kinda of the same. Not really the fear. But yeah, kinda of. I guess. I want my son, as do all parents, to have a good, suitable life. He told me this morning--------"dad, I didn't have a Plan B". Best I could say was--------"Don't worry, I do". But I don't. Maybe wrong for me to say?

I have some friends in some good places, i.e. former Senator, former long standing and well respected congressman. And some high ranking military buds. WIll that help? Shit, I dunno. But you better believe I will be calling on those folks. I just don't want my son's future derailed by a piece paper. So you had better believe pops will not let that happen; Or at least I will fight like hell to avoid it.

I did tell him though, "There's always officiating. Dad knows a few people".:p

Don’t worry about the 2307. He will require a waiver if he wants to give it another go. Waivers are given out pretty freely. I’m not totally familiar with the exact terminology of a 2307, but it’s not perjorative in any way. Your research is probably what I would have come up with.

The good news. My suggestion is to go to your county veterans affairs office ASAP with his discharge documents and let him/her go over them. Since his discharge is medical, it won’t affect his civilian career options. Once he hits the 180 day mark on active duty, the veterans benefits kick in IF he wants to go back in the Navy. It’s up to him. Since he has a medical condition that IS waiver eligible, he is pretty much golden with the VA later on if his condition gets worse.

Again. Best of luck to you and your son!

Don’t worry about the 2307. He will require a waiver if he wants to give it another go. Waivers are given out pretty freely. I’m not totally familiar with the exact terminology of a 2307, but it’s not perjorative in any way. Your research is probably what I would have come up with.

The good news. My suggestion is to go to your county veterans affairs office ASAP with his discharge documents and let him/her go over them. Since his discharge is medical, it won’t affect his civilian career options. Once he hits the 180 day mark on active duty, the veterans benefits kick in IF he wants to go back in the Navy. It’s up to him. Since he has a medical condition that IS waiver eligible, he is pretty much golden with the VA later on if his condition gets worse.

Again. Best of luck to you and your son!
Thank you.

You are very welcome. FWIW, I do hope he decides to give it another go. The peace of mind knowing that as he ages, his medical condition will be service connected and will be taken care of is priceless. He might not think of this right now. But I’m 57. And my health care is taken care of at no cost to me. That money can go to my future retirement.

You are very welcome. FWIW, I do hope he decides to give it another go. The peace of mind knowing that as he ages, his medical condition will be service connected and will be taken care of is priceless. He might not think of this right now. But I’m 57. And my health care is taken care of at no cost to me. That money can go to my future retirement.
I hope so to. Not sure on his RE codes, etc, etc...He and I will go over his discharge papers tomorrow.

Again, thanks for all your info. And thanks for taking the time to talk. I appreciate it.

Reactions: GhostVol
I know your son is disappointed but I'm happy for you and your family Borden.
He really is, man. I hate it for him. I was out of town for most of the day, and spoke with him by phone. He and I will get together tomorrow, and sort things through. He's a tough kid. He'll get through it.

Thanks Willi.

Reactions: GhostVol
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT