ADVERTISEMENT

MSU vs UK

I am utterly shocked you’re 1) defending a ref and 2) defending a call made against Kentucky. Borden 101.

im not saying it was a call I would like to see. But to say this isn’t a foul is just incorrect. If you watch the replay he points to the restricted area in why he called it. It’s a soft call but 100% the correct call

im not saying it was a call I would like to see. But to say this isn’t a foul is just incorrect. If you watch the replay he points to the restricted area in why he called it. It’s a soft call but 100% the correct call
Its a rule. He HAS to call it. Its not a judgement call. Its a rule. No matter how "soft" the contact, its automatic.

I am utterly shocked you’re 1) defending a ref and 2) defending a call made against Kentucky. Borden 101.
Know the rules....Nothing to do with defending the refs....0r defending a call against UK. Its the rule, bro. Here, for future reference:

Art. 14. A secondary defender, as defined in Rule 4-36, cannot establish initial legal guarding position in the restricted area for the purpose of drawing an offensive foul when defending a player who is in control of the ball (i.e., dribbling or shooting) or who has released the ball for a pass or try. When illegal contact occurs within this restricted area, such contact shall be called a blocking foul, unless the contact is a flagrant foul.

2. "been more fun had they let'em go..."--No. Both teams fouled A LOT, early. It wouldn't have been fun. It probably would've gotten chippy.

3. "didn't change how they called it.."---Seldom do. At this level, coaches and players adjust. Its why we saw a much better second half, with a better flow. Its also why (usually) you don't see stuff called in the 1st half---called in the 2nd half. Teams adjust to how the game is being called.

Overall, I thought those guys were really good. That was a tough game to call. Physical...Lot of driving. Lot of play in the lane. IMO, there was maybe a handful of calls that made you go---"Meh---I dunno, guys."

IDK, wasn't any heated exchanges or hard fouls. I don't think it would've gotten chippy. I thought it was a fun game either way.

I appreciate a crew that calls the game the same way for its entirety. I know there's times they need to switch it up to get control, but there's been plenty of times where they unnecessarily change it up. Doesn't happen a lot. But definitely more than seldom, IMO. I'm sure we'll have to agree to disagree on that.

Saw somebody point out that the court said "season starts here" and Maxey shot it from the "here". I didn't notice it and thought that was pretty cool.

IDK, wasn't any heated exchanges or hard fouls. I don't think it would've gotten chippy. I thought it was a fun game either way.

I appreciate a crew that calls the game the same way for its entirety. I know there's times they need to switch it up to get control, but there's been plenty of times where they unnecessarily change it up. Doesn't happen a lot. But definitely more than seldom, IMO. I'm sure we'll have to agree to disagree on that.

Saw somebody point out that the court said "season starts here" and Maxey shot it from the "here". I didn't notice it and thought that was pretty cool.
That's because they(officials) established control, from the get go. UK and MSU adapted in the 2nd half. What I am so though, is IF you let contact go, and go and go---it can become chippy. Only so much contact dudes will take.

Know the rules....Nothing to do with defending the refs....0r defending a call against UK. Its the rule, bro. Here, for future reference:

Art. 14. A secondary defender, as defined in Rule 4-36, cannot establish initial legal guarding position in the restricted area for the purpose of drawing an offensive foul when defending a player who is in control of the ball (i.e., dribbling or shooting) or who has released the ball for a pass or try. When illegal contact occurs within this restricted area, such contact shall be called a blocking foul, unless the contact is a flagrant foul.

"cannot establish initial legal guarding position in the restricted area for the purpose of drawing an offensive foul "

That isn't what happened.

It's a terrible call. The only people who are going to defend it are MSU fans (you) and Borden because Borden hates UK.

Reactions: JimboBBN
It doesn't matter what I think. Its the god damn rule, dude.

"cannot establish initial legal guarding position in the restricted area for the purpose of drawing an offensive foul "

If he was trying to draw a foul that's one thing. He literally jumped backwards out of the way and Winston fell into him because he was expecting contact that wasn't there. That is not a blocking foul. Sorry bud.

If he was trying to draw a foul that's one thing. He literally jumped backwards out of the way and Winston fell into him because he was expecting contact that wasn't there. That is not a blocking foul. Sorry bud.
Its a RULE. You really are going to argue this, arent, ya?Laughing

How long you gonna double down? What part of--"ITS A RULE", that you don't understand?

The rule is

"cannot establish initial legal guarding position in the restricted area for the purpose of drawing an offensive foul"

You're blind if you think that's what happened.

That's because they(officials) established control, from the get go. UK and MSU adapted in the 2nd half. What I am so though, is IF you let contact go, and go and go---it can become chippy. Only so much contact dudes will take.

I agree they did well and get what you're saying. Usually there's a moment or atmosphere that indicates things might get that way. I didn't get those vibes from that game. They probably could've let some go. But again, I like when they stick with how they're officiating. And they did that all game. Was a great opening night.

Pretty sure Hail is saying Maxey wasn't trying to take a charge. Looks like he challenges the shot with both hands up, like they tell big men to do when contesting. Maxey even motions to the ref as if he were saying. "My hands were straight up".

Reactions: kyjeff1
It's a terrible call. The only people who are going to defend it are MSU fans (you) and Borden because Borden hates UK.

As a fan, I agree that it is a terrible call. That's the type of shit that makes games not fun to watch, for anyone. Not sure one debatable example 25+ minutes into the game nullifies the first half complaints

Love you @IUfanBorden but hail has no dog in this fight and even he sees you having some bias against Kentucky. The Indiana fan can’t hide in you during our games :)

Yeah not like Hail's team is rivals with MSU :p

However, it's only November 6th- don't get me wrong, great resume win for Kentucky- however, them and every other team most likely will look different in March. Name of the game in November is to just win and remain healthy...

Pretty sure Hail is saying Maxey wasn't trying to take a charge. Looks like he challenges the shot with both hands up, like they tell big men to do when contesting. Maxey even motions to the ref as if he were saying. "My hands were straight up".
When he rotated over, in the restricted area, to DEFEND---which he does, and as a secondary defender---that is defined as--"attempting to establish a legal guarding position," Had he JUMPED straight up---he's legal. But he didn't; he actually tries to get out of the way. That's irrelevant. Once he rotates over, in a defensive position, he becomes a defender. Once there is contact, its automatic. Had he jumped, straight up, attempting to BLOCK/DEFEND the shot---again, he's good. When he did not---its a foul. That call is exactly how we are instructed to call it.

Love you @IUfanBorden but hail has no dog in this fight and even he sees you having some bias against Kentucky. The Indiana fan can’t hide in you during our games :)
No bias. I'm just explaining why the call, BY RULE, was the right call. Its the only call I've discussed. BTW---I rooted for UK. Wife and I watched it together. It has zero to do with me being an IU fan...Its me simply explaining the rule.

I hardly posted in here during the game. I took my ONE jab(Winking), and moved on.

I didn't watch the first half

It sucked. Both teams in the bonus within like 7 minutes. Henry stupidly picked up 2 fouls within the first 2.5 minutes and sat the rest of the half. 2nd half called much better, I don't think either team in the bonus until like 6 minutes left

hail and borden going back and forth reminds me of putting a mirror in front of a mirror. This shit is going to go on forever. :D

btw, that wasn't a foul.
I agree, that definitely wasn't a foul. If that's a foul, the rules are f'ing wrong. That needs to be fixed, but we see it called in games that are called tight.
In games that aren't called tight, that particular play is a play on, as it should be.
I do think Hail is right, he wasn't trying to draw a charge.

Reactions: hailtoyourvictor
It sucked. Both teams in the bonus within like 7 minutes. Henry stupidly picked up 2 fouls within the first 2.5 minutes and sat the rest of the half. 2nd half called much better, I don't think either team in the bonus until like 6 minutes left

I watched the Henry fouls on the video I posted. The first one seemed bad unless there’s an angle I missed showing him getting the hand, the second one is one I like called.

Probably so. But hell, I ain't popular with them anyways..Laughing

FTR, I thought the game was called really well. A few calls that were, meh. But overall, I thought they did a good job.
I don't think the game was called very well at all. It was way too tightly called. Took the flow right out of it and made it look like a typical SEC game.
You have to admit, games that are called like the Duke/KU game are a lot more fun to watch and have better flow.
If the call in question (between you and Hail) is a foul, than either the rule is being misinterpreted, or it needs to be changed. Nobody wants to watch games where that is a foul, because it isn't a foul.

I watched the Henry fouls on the video I posted. The first one seemed bad unless there’s an angle I missed showing him getting the hand, the second one is one I like called.

2 of the most egregious, in my likely-to-be-biased opinion, was the charge called on Tillman when he passed to Bingham for an oop (was 18-18 at that point with MSU surging), and then a couple of plays later when they called Marble for a foul where Maxey jumped behind the hoop and had nowhere to go and bounced it off the backboard. And if I'm being picky, they missed a travel on Hagan's breakaway and Gabe Brown got absolutely hammered on a breakaway dunk with no call at all - but I think both of those were in the 2nd half when the calls seemed pretty even.

After I rewatched on YouTube, not a ton of other calls stood out. But the first half was definitely hard to watch, just from all the stoppages. No flow, most points from FTs etc.

I don't think the game was called very well at all. It was way too tightly called. Took the flow right out of it and made it look like a typical SEC game.
You have to admit, games that are called like the Duke/KU game are a lot more fun to watch and have better flow.
If the call in question (between you and Hail) is a foul, than either the rule is being misinterpreted, or it needs to be changed. Nobody wants to watch games where that is a foul, because it isn't a foul.
I mean, both teams fouled a lot in the 1st half. Duke/KU was a different style. Plus, hard to call fouls when there are 546 turnovers...

The rule is fine, and its not being misinterpreted. If you are in the restricted lane, blocking out, trying to block, trying to get rebounding position, and that happens---Different story. But look, Maxey rotated over, to defend. He then tried to get out of the way, and there was contact. Once he tried to establish a defensive position---and he did, that changes things. The rule is a very good rule. Safety.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
2 of the most egregious, in my likely-to-be-biased opinion, was the charge called on Tillman when he passed to Bingham for an oop (was 18-18 at that point with MSU surging), and then a couple of plays later when they called Marble for a foul where Maxey jumped behind the hoop and had nowhere to go and bounced it off the backboard. And if I'm being picky, they missed a travel on Hagan's breakaway and Gabe Brown got absolutely hammered on a breakaway dunk with no call at all - but I think both of those were in the 2nd half when the calls seemed pretty even.

After I rewatched on YouTube, not a ton of other calls stood out. But the first half was definitely hard to watch, just from all the stoppages. No flow, most points from FTs etc.

Did you happen to see Winston get a hand full of Hagans jersey early in the game that didn’t get called?

Did you happen to see Winston get a hand full of Hagans jersey early in the game that didn’t get called?
UK got the slight benefit of the whistle and multiple UK fans have already acknowledged this. I’m not saying the refs screwed MSU, but I think that’s a pretty fair statement.

Yea I saw that one. Didn't Hagan's still hit a shot right after?

Now that I'm home and for some stupid reason rewatching on DVR..... A

3:48 1H Sestina was pretty aggressive on a post move while being guarded by Marble. No call, much to the chagrin of Vitale and the other guy who were surprised it wasn't called, then straight into an offensive foul on Rocket for a moving screen I think. I didn't even recall this one, but I just heard them talking about it.

It doesn't matter. UK won. Congrats.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
I didn't see that at all. SmokinSmile
giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT