ADVERTISEMENT

Most Important Position in Basketball

MGC_07

Jun 29, 2016
Here’s my personal rank

1. Point Guard
Control the offense, control the flow, control the ball. Key to a good team
2. SF
Most versatile position with the best NBA players right now. They can do just about anything, pretty darn well.
3. C
Grab rebounds, control the glass. Helps the team, but not always a star.
4. SG
A spot up SG is great. But sometimes, now especially with the PG spot getting bigger, they have just become PG’s who aren’t as good ball handlers.
5. PF
This position is just the worst of the 5. Centers who are to small to dominate glass. SF’s who can’t handle the ball. Look, I get it, there have been some great PF’s, and we have a great PF class going to the NBA, but it’s just the most useless position.

Reactions: WojoRising
In college I think the wing is much more important than in the pros (due to the rarity) and completely changes the outlook of a college team.

Long story short I agree with OP

Here’s my personal rank

5. PF
This position is just the worst of the 5. Centers who are to small to dominate glass. SF’s who can’t handle the ball. Look, I get it, there have been some great PF’s, and we have a great PF class going to the NBA, but it’s just the most useless position.

Is this for College or Pros? I might actually argue that the 4 spot is the most important position in college basketball. If you can find someone that plays the 4 who can shoot the 3, rebound, and play defense, you have it made. The alternative is to have four guards (poor rebounding) or another big who can't shoot, which will severely limit your spacing. I feel like K has made the 4 spot THE spot for his program. Take a look at the starting 4 the past 5 years:

2014- Jabari Parker
2015- Justise Winslow
2016- Brandon Ingram
2017- Jayson Tatum
2018- Marvin Bagley

Is this for College or Pros? I might actually argue that the 4 spot is the most important position in college basketball. If you can find someone that plays the 4 who can shoot the 3, rebound, and play defense, you have it made. The alternative is to have four guards (poor rebounding) or another big who can't shoot, which will severely limit your spacing. I feel like K has made the 4 spot THE spot for his program. Take a look at the starting 4 the past 5 years:

2014- Jabari Parker
2015- Justise Winslow
2016- Brandon Ingram
2017- Jayson Tatum
2018- Marvin Bagley
While I completely understand your point, but unless you have a great PF, I just think it’s hard to feature them in the offense.

This was more for pros, if that anwsers your question. I think it clearly can be done. (Mavs2011) but it’s just hard to build a team around a PF.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I'll dumb this down: the most important thing is a guy that can go get a good look on his own -- a pure playmaker. Those can come in many forms, but to win in the NCAA tourney, it's a must.

Reactions: ChiTownSean
ADVERTISEMENT