ADVERTISEMENT

Midpoint Final Four Predictions

1. Big 12 team
2. Big 10 team
3. Big 10 team
4. Big 12 team
Each B10 team has a major flaw so I’ll be interested to see who emerges
  • Michigan has a gaudy record but has played only one difficult conference road game - at Minnesota - and got crushed. The remaining games will tell you everything about where they are headed.
  • Iowa scores a ton but plays negligible defense, at best.

• Minnesota is incredible at home but BRUTAL on the road
  • Ohio State has no size and way over-reliant on the 3. One bad shooting game in the tourney and they’re done.
  • Wisconsin is decent but over reliant on Trice. I’d love to see Wisconsin run into Baylor with those two contrasting styles....game over if a team like Baylor can speed them up.

• Illinois may be the most complete team but 1) is woefully undersized at the 4 and 2) can get sloppy, sloppy, sloppy with the ball. When they are “on” they are incredibly tough to beat. When they get complacent/lazy, they lose to teams like Maryland at home.
  • Who knows what’s going on with Michigan State these days.

• Ohio State has no size and way over-reliant on the 3. One bad shooting game in the tourney and they’re done.

Not sure I agree with this take. OSU has EJ Liddell, Kyle Young, Zed Key, and Seth Towns. As it currently stands, Big Ten teams currently average 8.1 3PM per game. Ohio State averages 8.2 3PM per game. They have a fairly balanced offense, as far as I can tell. Iowa and Michigan are the only teams in the Big Ten with a higher points per possession than OSU. Defense is much more of a concern than offense, IMO.

Don't bet on anyone in the Pac-12. That conference always underwhelms. Colorado has some nice shooters, and McKinley Wright is a great floor general. But, I can't see them winning more than a game or two in the tournament. They had a rough loss last night against Washington, a sub-100 team that picked up just their second dub of the year.

I think USC, with their length, and Oregon, with the return of Will Richardson, have the highest ceilings from the Pac-12. But, still don't think either team will be a major threat for a FF run.

That could realistically happen. Would be surprised if both conferences aren't represented. And, odds are reasonably high that one of those two conferences will have two participants. However, I pause a little when I consider how few OOC games have actually been played. The sample size is incredibly low. I mean, you're looking at exactly 2 OOC wins against top 20 teams from both conferences. Baylor defeated Illinois - and Kansas had a 1 point victory over Creighton. That's it. The potential is very, very high. Just not sold that those two conferences are going to steamroll past everyone and have 6-7 teams in the Elite 8. I think 4 of the final 8 is a strong possibility.
This is really sensible. One thing to note is that familiarity with opponents will often create the potential for the upset. So while there could be some games in conference that catch your eye, what they do out of conference is almost a better indicator when it comes to preparation for a national tournament. I totally agree that the B12 rankings, at this point, are more about the results in conference as opposed to out of conference. The B10 got a lot of teams into the rankings with wins in the ACC/B10 challenge and now they are beating on one another and generating a cumulative strength that doesn't have a good sample size for its foundation.

I'm not arguing against those being the two strongest conferences, but I do think that the likelihood that they have more than a couple real contenders apiece is in doubt.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Don't bet on anyone in the Pac-12. That conference always underwhelms. Colorado has some nice shooters, and McKinley Wright is a great floor general. But, I can't see them winning more than a game or two in the tournament. They had a rough loss last night against Washington, a sub-100 team that picked up just their second dub of the year.

I think USC, with their length, and Oregon, with the return of Will Richardson, have the highest ceilings from the Pac-12. But, still don't think either team will be a major threat for a FF run.

Thx for this! Just can't watch games much anymore. Funny you mention Oregon, I know Altman is an underrated coach, they typically are well organized.

If CO has nice shooters and a solid floor general that may be enough for them to be a tough out...

Can't wait for March Madness yo!

Thought that Duke team in 2019 with Zeon would never get beat and they didn't make it to the Final 4. Just never know who gets hot late or who gets injured late. In all reality there are about 12 teams that have a legit shot to make it with even a possible sleeper.

Thought that Duke team in 2019 with Zeon would never get beat and they didn't make it to the Final 4. Just never know who gets hot late or who gets injured late. In all reality there are about 12 teams that have a legit shot to make it with even a possible sleeper.

Yep. For everybody conceeding the Tourney to Zaga or Baylor... too many things can happen to get derailed this year,and covid is the big problem. Who is hot and who is healthy late.

Reactions: UL_1986
I’m gonna go with Gonzaga, Villanova, Baylor, and Iowa. West, East, South, Midwest

Florida State looks like a final four team.
I'm really trying to stay realistic about our deficiencies. Today, we had our starting guard out(best 3 pt shooter), our best forward played 2 minutes in the first half, and our best player and leader hardly played in the second half, and we didn't miss a beat. I know that the tournament is a different level, but I'm thinking we can make a run at a top 2 seed by winning the majority of the games left and doing enough in the ACCT. Going to be interesting to see how we do against UVA, because this is the best 3 pt shooting team we have had that I can remember.

Reactions: UL_1986
They were without two of their best players

Heard Illinois fans bragging about playing Baylor "tough" to claim they are a legit Final 4 team.

Oklahoma St can make a run regardless of seed.
giphy.gif

Sure, makes sense....Except, ummm,. well, that UCLA dark horse pick....I mean, exactly who have they beaten that makes you call them a dark horse? What, their loss to OSU make you a believer? Or was it those impressive wins over juggernaut, 2-6 Utah....or 2-5 Cal...Or 2-4 ASU...

Naaah, I bet it was that monster 5 point win over 0-7 Washington...

Man, you just talk in circles, brother...Not so sure sports is for you.

So you like to bump post...

Told you 3 months ago UCLA has Final 4 potential....
Should have listened

Play Texas Tech, WVU and Kansas and you will find out

Florida St is a decent team and has a chance to get to the second weekend.
But as of right now they are no where near a team who can win on the second weekend.

If we are talking about Longshot Final 4 teams...

I think you could put Florida St in the mix.
Oklahoma St is another
UCLA

🎯

I can admit where I was wrong...

I thought the players leaving and getting injured hurt UCLA

I didn't connect the dots because I didn't watch Pac 12 basketball.

But when UCLA struggled in the PAC 12 I didn't connect it to the strength of the conference.

They looked like they had potential going into January

As of today,

Gonzaga
Baylor
Iowa
West Virginia

this actually wasn’t a bad prediction at that time it now in hindsight really.

Iowa was the class of the big 10 I thought but Michigan right up there. Coin flip on either making final four.

wvu was the only good game vs zags all season. They were ahead of the zags all game until last 7-8 minutes. Issue was WVU lost Isaiah cottrell for season after the non. COn end

Baylor and zags are here.

Reactions: hawkit3113
this actually wasn’t a bad prediction at that time it now in hindsight really.

Iowa was the class of the big 10 I thought but Michigan right up there. Coin flip on either making final four.

wvu was the only good game vs zags all season. They were ahead of the zags all game until last 7-8 minutes. Issue was WVU lost Isaiah cottrell for season after the non. COn end

Baylor and zags are here.
Picking Iowa to make the Final Four is always a bad prediction. They’re fvcking Iowa. They can have the NPOY and still not make the sweet 16.

Picking Iowa to make the Final Four is always a bad prediction. They’re fvcking Iowa. They can have the NPOY and still not make the sweet 16.

Very weird to give a dude credit for picking his own team, which failed big-time, and two teams that everyone picked. Laughing

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT