ADVERTISEMENT

Midpoint Final Four Predictions

But you ALSO discredited FSU b/c of their schedule....Then turned around an picked a UCLA team who has wins over...

4-6 ASU
1-11 Washington
5-6 Utah
7-8 Cal
Seattle and Pepperdine...

You are all over the place.

No...
I discredited them from being a legit Final 4 contender and put them in the same category as UCLA.

Use that thing between your ears and comprehend what you read

Play Texas Tech, WVU and Kansas and you will find out

Florida St is a decent team and has a chance to get to the second weekend.
But as of right now they are no where near a team who can win on the second weekend.

If we are talking about Longshot Final 4 teams...

I think you could put Florida St in the mix.
Oklahoma St is another
UCLA
All of the teams you listed are solid but they’re not exactly juggernauts in the grand scheme of things. Take your homer hat off for a second. I chose those 4 bc they’ve passed the eye test for me in the general makeup of a ff team. Of course things are subject to change, but as of right now that’s how I personally see it.

All of the teams you listed are solid but they’re not exactly juggernauts in the grand scheme of things. Take your homer hat off for a second. I chose those 4 bc they’ve passed the eye test for me in the general makeup of a ff team. Of course things are subject to change, but as of right now that’s how I personally see it.

Oklahoma State already has wins against Kansas and Texas Tech
Came very close to having wins vs Texas and WVU

Out of all unranked teams they are probably the strongest longshot IMO

Plus their style is unique and would be tough to get ready for on short rest. Perfect in the tournament

If Villanova actually played people would be listing them.

Villanova closer to that first group than they are the second

If Oklahoma State beats Baylor on Saturday don't let the game confused you.
It will show where Oklahoma St is at. More than that it will show how you have to play Baylor

If Villanova actually played people would be listing them.

Villanova closer to that first group than they are the second

If Oklahoma State beats Baylor on Saturday don't let the game confused you.
It will show where Oklahoma St is at. More than that it will show how you have to play Baylor
Nova has looked solid from the couple games I’ve watched of them this year. People sleeping on them for sure.

WVU is pretty good right now

They have the guards. One of the best teams Huggins has had even without Oscar.

Watch the second half of them against Oklahoma State.

Oklahoma St was up by 20 points.
They were without their big and WVU just took advantage

Vols doing their best Louisville impression when we played Wisco
Some days you get the chicken and some days you get a mouth full of feathers. UF came out fired up and UT came out flat.

Some days you get the chicken and some days you get a mouth full of feathers. UF came out fired up and UT came out flat.

Yeah but...if you’re really top 5-10 team, you don’t lose by 30 to a team down 3 starters! 3!!

Strong possibilities
Baylor
Villanova

Need work but can make it happen
Gonzaga
Texas
Virginia
Texas Tech
Michigan

Depending on the bracket
Iowa
Tennessee
Houston
West Virginia
Wisconsin

If I had to pick my Top 12 contenders it would be those

I see two legit teams right now with a possible third in Gonzaga

I am always standoffish with Gonzaga. I don't know if they can win because of the lack of competition
I don't think they are that above everyone else

I believe UNLV was the last mid major NC

They smashed everyone. Don't see it with Gonzaga
Zags needd that Baylor game

Last edited:
Because results matter

If the results aren't there what are we going by.

Opinions of announcers...
Message boards
Past results

Dissect Florida St's schedule.
I am talking about this year's team. There is nothing there to say Final 4 team.

I watched them and I don't see it either. I see a team who could get into the second weekend but I see a team that has some limitations that will cost them.

Even Hamilton's best teams a few years ago were like that as well.

Just curious, what were FSU’s limitations last season? (Acknowledging that virtually no team is elite in every single aspect).

Baylor
Gonzaga
Florida State
Alabama

Alabama is a team people need to start taking seriously. They are ruthlessly slaughtering everyone in the SEC. A legitimate Final Four contender.

Here's how I would break it down, by tiers. Matchups are going to be crucial, of course.

Tier 1: 40%+
Gonzaga, Baylor

Tier 2: 12-25%
Michigan, Villanova, Texas, Iowa, Alabama, Houston, Virginia, Wisconsin

Tier 3: 6-12%
Illinois, Florida State, Kansas, Tennessee, Creighton, Texas Tech, West Virginia, Ohio State

Tier 4: 1-6%
20 schools or so

Reactions: GE Nole
Just curious, what were FSU’s limitations last season? (Acknowledging that virtually no team is elite in every single aspect).
I'll be interested to hear his answer. Last year's team had everything:

Very good defense
Consistent outside shooting
Point guard who can get dribble penetration and finish at the rim
Good free throw shooting

Our versatility is our biggest strength.

This year, our defense has taken a step back, but not to the point that it has become a weakness.
We shoot it better in all respects.
We have an Elite talent at PG who can break the defense down late in the shot clock.

In the vast majority of our games this year, we have held the lead throughout the entirety of the game. We rarely get down by any kind of considerable margin. And that is with a team that is still figuring things out from a personnel perspective. Our ceiling has not been reached at all when you consider several factors.

We will see how things fall as the season moves along, but again I think if you were to line up the list of potential opponents that the "best" teams could see on FF weekend, we'd be in the bottom five for most teams if you were to ask their fans and their coaching staffs

I'll be interested to hear his answer. Last year's team had everything:

Very good defense
Consistent outside shooting
Point guard who can get dribble penetration and finish at the rim
Good free throw shooting

Our versatility is our biggest strength.

This year, our defense has taken a step back, but not to the point that it has become a weakness.
We shoot it better in all respects.
We have an Elite talent at PG who can break the defense down late in the shot clock.

In the vast majority of our games this year, we have held the lead throughout the entirety of the game. We rarely get down by any kind of considerable margin. And that is with a team that is still figuring things out from a personnel perspective. Our ceiling has not been reached at all when you consider several factors.

We will see how things fall as the season moves along, but again I think if you were to line up the list of potential opponents that the "best" teams could see on FF weekend, we'd be in the bottom five for most teams if you were to ask their fans and their coaching staffs

I don’t know. Seems like there were times last year when FSU really struggled to score despite the talent. Elite defense absolutely. Tougher on D than we are so far this year.

This years team seems to have an abundance of scorers so far. We have 2 that are shooting 53% from 3- Polite and Evans. MJ is at 42% from 3. He’s take the most 3’s of anybody. Need to get better on D.

I don’t know. Seems like there were times last year when FSU really struggled to score despite the talent. Elite defense absolutely. Tougher on D than we are so far this year.

This years team seems to have an abundance of scorers so far. We have 2 that are shooting 53% from 3- Polite and Evans. MJ is at 42% from 3. He’s take the most 3’s of anybody. Need to get better on D.
Last year we were held under 70 points 12 times. We were 7-5 in those games. that's not too shabby. We are clearly a better offensive team this year. We are also a team that has more matchup problems this year. Balsa is a 5 who is a problem, and Barnes is a point forward. Then you have the maturity of Gray and the scoring of MJ. We have more individuals that are polished on the offensive end, which is what you need in March when points might be harder to come by

All teams go through little patches where shots aren’t falling. But last years team scored more than a point per possession in 8 of the last 9 games. The offense was a top 35 offense. Wasn’t elite in any one area, other than maybe avoiding live ball turnovers (2nd in ACC play), but it was good at pretty much everything.

And Pat Williams was just beginning to put it all together. 3 KenPom game MVPs between Feb 3 and Feb 18.

Last year we were held under 70 points 12 times. We were 7-5 in those games. that's not too shabby. We are clearly a better offensive team this year. We are also a team that has more matchup problems this year. Balsa is a 5 who is a problem, and Barnes is a point forward. Then you have the maturity of Gray and the scoring of MJ. We have more individuals that are polished on the offensive end, which is what you need in March when points might be harder to come by

70 points is kind of arbitrary without knowing possessions. 70 points in a 60 possession game is outstanding offense. 70 points in a 75 possession game is below average.

ADVERTISEMENT