ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan Basketball: Who to hire... and who NOT to hire

As a Tech grad, and someone who actually knows Chris Beard, there’s a less than zero percent chance he ever leaves for Mich or the B10, period. So rest your head, he would politely decline to speak with Meechegan, but they know that and won’t make the call to him.

That said, being objective, I read the blog above and found it quite entertaining and well written! To whomever wrote it, Bravo sir!!

I'll bet that Beard told you that personally, didn't he?

Regarding Texas.

That is on Liddell. Liddell has the chance to be one of the best players in the Big 12 this year. 6-8 with a 7 foot wing span. Can pretty much do everything on the court. Finally started to blossom late last year.

With Smart or without Smart if Liddell becomes an offensive and defensive force Texas will be a good to elite team.
They did finish according to KenPom a Top 30 offensive and defensive team.

Texas has identified Donovan as their #1 guy.
Even over Chris Beard. For Donovan to leave this year you will have to pay him close to 6 million a year and have a job he wants.
I have no idea if Donovan wants to get back into college coaching.

But Texas has a lot of benefits. One is that people don't truthfully care but that doesn't make recruits not want to come
Texas is the pits for college basketball. Texas is a football school and always will be.

If the recruits still come does it matter.
Texas as a football school still can get better classes or equal classes than most "basketball schools".
Plus you don't have to deal with living in a fish bowl.
And you have to let Kansas win the conference every year.

Shaka's your man!

He's halfway decent!

He won't try to change too much!

He's pretty clean!

If you put some really good coaches around him, his teams might even be able to put the ball through the hoop!

I read where Texas has to oay him 12.9 mil to leave and their willing to pony up

Saw coach Beilein last night at his first public appearance since the announcement. Always had a tremendous amount of respect for him.

It was clear he loves building/ resurrecting programs and the urge to do it again after 12 years was still there. The NBA is the last step in a storied career as a head coach at all levels. I did not realize he was never an assistant anywhere (he also did not recommend that path- he encourages getting on the staff at a top program any way you can).

Cleveland's allure was the building aspect and it seems their youth that he hopes to mold.

Wish him much success, seems like a top notch guy.

I read where Texas has to oay him 12.9 mil to leave and their willing to pony up

I still think Shaka can win at Texas. Even as bad as their record was and only making the NIT Texas was a Top 25 team according to KenPom in overall, Offensive efficiency and defensive efficiency

I don't think he wants to leave Texas. I think he knows Texas is a perfect situation for him especially with the new basketball arena.

He even has the leverage of Greg Brown. Brown is a Longhorn Legacy and he should go to Texas no matter what but schools like Memphis and UNC are on his AAU coach.
Shaka has built a relationship with his AAU coach and team. I think the threat of losing Greg Brown is worth keeping Shaka.

Greg Brown being a legit 15-5-5 guy as an one and done freshman while providing elite defense.

Michigan Athletic Department doesnt respect their basketball program enough.

Reactions: kl40504
Is he a good hire though? I know nothing about his coaching abilities. I know he was the 15th man on the bench in the NBA for probably 2-3 seasons past when most guys would have retired. When you're kept on like that it's usually because of your leadership role.

Is he a good hire though? I know nothing about his coaching abilities. I know he was the 15th man on the bench in the NBA for probably 2-3 seasons past when most guys would have retired. When you're kept on like that it's usually because of your leadership role.

He is held in high esteem by nba players and coaches. High basketball IQ, ability to relate to players, ability to develop players (Miami’s bigs). How that will translate to college basketball is the question. Big question mark. I’m just happy we took the risk rather that settling for some of the other realistic options that were being considered.

There were hopeful candidates and realistic candidates.
Agreed. I am with you, I would be much happier with Howard over a lesser candidate. He will have the fan support from day 1 as a Michigan legend in his own right and could prove to be a diamond in the rough. I would imagine he'll be a great recruiter at the very least. Kids relate to younger coaches with a wealth of NBA experience.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
The interview doesn't change his contract situation.

Especially since Providence didn't know if Michigan wanted him or not.

Providence saw their golden boy interviewing with a better program and rather than waiting to see if Michigan would offer they locked him down. Pretty simple.

Michigan’s top guy available was Howard. Cooley knew this and rather than waiting around for Howard to interview he took the raise at Providence.

Providence saw their golden boy interviewing with a better program and rather than waiting to see if Michigan would offer they locked him down. Pretty simple.

Michigan’s top guy available was Howard. Cooley knew this and rather than waiting around for Howard to interview he took the raise at Providence.

Wow!
Has Michigan fallen that far. You don't have to control the narrative when you are a big name school.
Leave that to the nobodies. You are making Michigan look horrible.

It’s just common sense

It is not common sense.
It is you living off in a reality created in your own head.

Cooley was the #1 target because he has coaching experience
If you listened to your AD he said he wanted a coach with experience because he believes he made a mistake at UCONN.

Cooley was the #1 choice based on this.
When Cooley was off the table they went elsewhere.

Truthfully they should have hired Yaklich. He was the reason your defense was elite.

The entire coaching search was poorly ran.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT