ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan Basketball: Who to hire... and who NOT to hire

Here’s the article so nobody else has to give him a click to his blog.

Since men’s basketball was first played at the University of Michigan, in 1908, the Wolverines have had 16 different head coaches. After yesterday’s shocking news: John Beilein is leaving college basketball for the NBA, and after the equally shocking news: John Beilein is leaving idyllic Ann Arbor, Michigan for post-apocalyptic Cleveland, Ohio–Michigan will soon hire it’s 17th men’s head basketball coach.

Whomever is chosen to replace Beilein will be in the unenviable position of having to follow the best coach in program history. Yet, whomever is chosen to replace Beilein will also be in the enviable position of inheriting a ready-made top 15 basketball program with deep pockets and a shallow pool of rivals.

Make Them Say No
There is like a sub 1% chance these guys end up at a Michigan. But if we’ve learned anything from Riley Roberts, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s boyfriend, it never hurts to ask. These 3 would be upgrades over Beilein.
Brad Stevens

brad_stevens-e1557768391102.png

The Good

He’s not a good coach, he’s already a great coach. In college he won 77% of his games (one spot behind Dean Smith and one spot ahead of Mike Kyzdkjalfski) and he lead Butler to 2 Final 4’s in his 6 seasons. Stevens is the rare commodity that is both highly accomplished and genuinely youthful–he has been famous for 12 years, yet is still only 11 years old.

The Bad

Nothing. He’s a perfect baby boy.

The Verdict

Unfortunately this aint happening for Michigan. Stevens, like me, just feels like a guy who is never going to finish what he started in college.

Jay Wright

img_0743.jpg

The Good

Wright has won 2 national titles, a million conference titles and nearly 600 games. He’s arguably the best coach in college basketball.

The Bad

Hot take: Despite what Bill Raftery would have you believe, Jay Wright is not a good dresser. His wardrobe consists of $5000 tailored suits and gym teacher quality track suits. That’s it. Call me crazy, but modeling your fashion style after Christopher Moltisani’s is not the best look.

The Verdict

Michigan is a lateral step–at best–for Jay Wright at this point in his career. If there is any talk of his interest in Michigan, I fully expect that to lead to a raise and extension for Wright … at Villanova.

Tony Bennett

img_0458.jpg

The Good

Well he just won the National Title, so that’s pretty good. And he is now undisputed as the “most accomplished and most handsome coach” in sports–sorry Jay Wright. Does being handsome help your team win more games? Probably not. But it’s just feels better winning with a guy that looks like Bennett than with a guy that looks like Bo Ryan.

The Bad

Bennett never seems to get angry which is pretty weird. It’s hard to trust someone who never freaks out. As good a coach as he is, he gives off that uneasy Lloyd Braun vibe.

img_0746.gif

The Verdict

Michigan has to make the call because he was on the short list 12 years ago and because he is a great coach. But mostly you make the call to make him tell you no, which he almost undoubtedly will.

Make Them Say Yes
Despite some barriers and red flags, these guys are more or less equal to Beilein. They are “must take” hires if interested.
Billy Donovan

The Good

He has won 2 national championships and made it to 4 Final 4’s. Not only did Donovan sign a ton of high level recruits at Florida, he also developed over a dozen guys into long term NBA players.

The Bad

While only 53 years old, Donovan looks he died 3 years ago. His NBA coaching career seems to have aged him in the way the Presidency ages someone. Also, while a great recruiter at Florida, Donovan–a Rick Pitino protege–didn’t rely just on his youthful Gothic charm to secure high level commitments. Wink. Wink.

The Verdict

Michigan values it squeaky clean reputation as much it values winning, so a marriage with Donovan might not work. Yet for some reason this feels like Billy D could be in play. Once upon a time, when legendary college coach, turned NBA flame-out, Rick Pitino, was looking for a path back to amateur glory he decided, briefly, to travel that road from Ann Arbor. 20 years later might Billy Donovan finish the journey his mentor once began?

Mark Few

img_0745.jpg

The Good

He is the 3rd winningest college basketball coach… ever. He was won 82% of his games over 20 years. He’s been to the NCAA tournament every year he’s coached. And he’s criminally underpaid.

The Bad

He looks exactly like the type of guy that Harbaugh would have bullied in high school–so that could get awkward.

The Verdict

Few has spent his entire life in the Pacific Northwest and his entire coaching career at Gonzaga. I could see him eventually leaving, like Chris Peterson left Boise State, but also like Peterson, more likely for a job that is within his home region. Still though, Michigan should offer him a massive enough salary to at least make him think.

Chris Beard

img_0767.jpg

The Good

What’s not to like? He’s young. He’s hungry. And he’s won at every level. His defensive approach fits Michigan’s culture and his F you attitude fits the Big Ten’s culture.

The Bad

He just signed a massive extension with a massive buyout at Texas Tech 2 weeks ago.

The Verdict

The nice thing about Beard re-upping with Texan Tech so recently is Michigan has seen TT’s best offer and can outbid them if they so desire. I’m sure Beard is, like all Texans, an obnoxiously proud Texan. But even the most prideful of Texans know Lubbock is to Texas as Ohio is to the Midwest. In other words, he is not staying there forever. So where does he end up? I fear he ends up at Indiana in 2020 or 2021. He’s a Bob Knight protege and he’s a young Knight without the baggage. Michigan should want to hire him, Indiana needs to hire him.

Like Not Love
WHILE CERTAINLY DOWNGRADES FROM BEILEIN, ALL OF THESE GUYS ARE REALLY GOOD COACHES AND WOULD BE ACCEPTABLE HIRES.
Matt Painter

Easily the most underrated coach in the Big Ten and arguably the most underrated coach in college basketball. While Purdue is his Alma mater, he’s flirted with other jobs before, so we know he’s curious. The major deficiency with Painter is he is can’t recruit. Which is, ah, a problem.

Mike White

White is a fairly respected in-game coach. White is a very respected recruiter. His tenure at Florida has been respectable. He is a respectable coach and would be a respectable hire.

Dana Altman

I’ve always felt like Altman and Beilein were long lost coaching brothers. Altman is the younger, not quite as good, reasonable facsimile brother. Like Beilein, he’s been successful at many levels and develops players well. Where he’s proven more successful than Beilein is as a recruiter. The big question would be if he could sustain that recruiting success without Phil Knight’s “assistance.”

It completely slipped my mind that Dana Altman is a total creep and has a terrible record regarding sexual assault allegations against his players. There is no chance the University of Michigan is considering Altman. Now that does not mean he won’t end up coaching in the state of Michigan still. Given his reputation he sounds like the natural successor to Tom Izzo.

Hate not like
FOR WARDE MANUAL, HIRING ANY OF THESE COACHES INSURES THAT BY 2023 MICHIGAN IS SEARCHING FOR A NEW BASKETBALL COACH AND A NEW ATHLETIC DIRECTOR.
Porter Moser

If Porter Moser is terminally ill, and the rumors of his potential hire are part of a Make-A-Wish promotion, then I’m fine with it. Any talk of his merits for the job otherwise though are bullshit. His resume wouldn’t have been considered back in 2007 when Beilein was hired and when the program was a joke–so why in Christ’s name should it be considered now!? I’m officially triggered.

Tom Crean

No thanks. He looks like Dwight Scrute and somehow sweats more than peak-cocaine Dwight Golden. If he gets an interview it will be solely because his brother in-law is Jim Harbaugh. Which begs the question, “why couldn’t Brad Stevens have married Jim Harbaugh’s sister?”

Chris Collins

Tommy Amaker was fired by Michigan after the 2007 season. Collins is the unlikable version of Tommy Amaker. Do not overthink this.

Lavall Jordan

Having been a head coach for only 3 years, it’s too early to say that Vall is never going to be successful. But he isn’t a good head coach right now. If there are concerns about Jordan at Butler, and I am sure there are, then he’s not close to being ready for his old boss’s job at Michigan.

Internal hire

Saddi Washington and Luke Yaklich are great assistants and will probably be good head coaches one day. Probably isn’t good enough though. Michigan is too big of a job and too good of a job to be given away to like an internship to head coaching novices.

Utopian Top 5
  1. Brad Stevens
  2. Tony Bennett
  3. Billy Donovan
  4. Jay Wright
  5. Chris Beard
Realist Top 5
  1. Billy Donovan
  2. Chris Beard
  3. Mark Few
  4. Dana Altman Mike White
  5. Matt Painter
Gun to the head guess right now
Mike White

Loved the little shot at MSU. We’ll probably sweep you again this year.

Michigan is going to hire Shaka Smart.

1) He is respected and runs a pretty clean program. Won't bring shame to Michigan
2) He will be willing to leave Texas and is the only coach with a halfway decent name available
3) He can recruit. Get some great assistants around him and that could make up for his Offensive issues
4) He is a defensive mind coach. Truthfully will not try to change too much.

1) He is respected and runs a pretty clean program. Won't bring shame to Michigan
2) He will be willing to leave Texas and is the only coach with a halfway decent name available
3) He can recruit. Get some great assistants around him and that could make up for his Offensive issues

Nice try to unload him.

Nice try to unload him.

RollLaugh

Reactions: RockChalkRally
Well two things...

1. Tech can easily offer more to Beard. That isn’t our best offer at all. We aren’t some poor G5 school. We’ll do what we have to to keep our elite coach happy.

2. Beard has spent 24 out of his 28 years in coaching in th state of Texas. 14 of those years were spent specifically at Texas Tech. His kids live an hour and a half away. His girlfriend works at a high school in Lubbock. He also has zero connection to Indiana outside of his former boss working there before the two even started working together.

In conclusion, it doesn’t sound like you know a whole lot about the guy and you just included him on your list because you figured “Hey, he’s at Tech. Surely they can’t keep him, right?”

Take on Beard wasn't particularly good. Texas bashing into a Ohio joke but that might play better in Ann Arbor. Good of you to talk Big 10 and include Indiana even though it doesn't really work other than Indiana needs to hire a coach like Beard. After hearing a Indiana fan takl on XM 84 radio today not sure they could lure him away.

Michigan should definitely at least put in a call to everyone you mentioned. Timing is rough.

Take on Beard wasn't particularly good. Texas bashing into a Ohio joke but that might play better in Ann Arbor. Good of you to talk Big 10 and include Indiana even though it doesn't really work other than Indiana needs to hire a coach like Beard. After hearing a Indiana fan takl on XM 84 radio today not sure they could lure him away.

Michigan should definitely at least put in a call to everyone you mentioned. Timing is rough.

Timing is terrible

I can see them making a run at beard. But not likely. I see them going after someone like painter, Bobby Hurley, maybe Greg Marshall, or dare I say Rick Pitino. He’s a hof coach and will be able to bring in the talent that Michigan needs to compete. I wouldn’t be surprised if they made a run at wojo either. Let’s be honest, stevens or Donovan aren’t happening.

I can see them making a run at beard. But not likely. I see them going after someone like painter, Bobby Hurley, maybe Greg Marshall, or dare I say Rick Pitino. He’s a hof coach and will be able to bring in the talent that Michigan needs to compete. I wouldn’t be surprised if they made a run at wojo either. Let’s be honest, stevens or Donovan aren’t happening.
yeah Petino can use the I know nothing while providing money and strippers as a incentive in recruiting, top players. Michigan won't touch him no matter how long that pole is.

there are many young and good upcoming coaches available to pick from,

Wojo? Ha. That would be terrible.

We can do this...

Shaka goes to KU
Self goes to OKC
Billy Donovan comes to Texas.

Thought Shaka just needed one more year to put it all together?

Billy could probably use a stress-free job like Texas to regain his health and vitality. He looks like he put in about 4 terms as POTUS.

As a Tech grad, and someone who actually knows Chris Beard, there’s a less than zero percent chance he ever leaves for Mich or the B10, period. So rest your head, he would politely decline to speak with Meechegan, but they know that and won’t make the call to him.

That said, being objective, I read the blog above and found it quite entertaining and well written! To whomever wrote it, Bravo sir!!

Reactions: ryane836
Thought Shaka just needed one more year to put it all together?

Billy could probably use a stress-free job like Texas to regain his health and vitality. He looks like he put in about 4 terms as POTUS.

Texas has identified Donovan as their #1 guy.
Even over Chris Beard. For Donovan to leave this year you will have to pay him close to 6 million a year and have a job he wants.
I have no idea if Donovan wants to get back into college coaching.

But Texas has a lot of benefits. One is that people don't truthfully care but that doesn't make recruits not want to come

ADVERTISEMENT