Maryland’s Next Basketball Coach?

gymman1031

Gold Member
Jan 24, 2008
The candidates mentioned the most these days are:

Andy Enfield-USC
Kevin Willard-Seton Hall
Ed Cooley-Providence

why would Enfield leave a great job at USC in sunny California where he lives with his bikini model wife to go to friggen Maryland to play in a worse conference?
This type of stuff depends on the coach. Some coaches want to be at a school with great tradition, institutional support, a rabid fan base and a recruiting hotbed that prioritizes basketball for its top athletes ... if that is a criteria, then Maryland wins on all accounts. I would imagine money is about a wash. However, some coaches actually LIKE being at a "football school" whose fans will be more patient and prioritize location/weather/entertainment, etc. If the latter is true, he would obviously pick USC.

While the days of "have success at middle-tier program and move to program with better tradition" are over (at least in such black and white terms), there are indeed still coaches who I think are the types to want to be at a "basketball school." Apparently that is not the case here.

This type of stuff depends on the coach.
Or the coaches wife.....

R.5117a43a6169604743844f70cf516596

Bruce Weber is available! Seriously, I really like the guy and I think he is a great Xs/Os coach, but he doesn't have the CEO mentality to run a program like Maryland or Illinois. At those jobs, you have huge/hungry fan bases, and you are the sole state school in the middle of a massive hotbed of high school talent; you can't just show up and coach basketball like Gene Hackman in Hoosiers, you need to also have the personality necessary to run the show.

Wouldn’t be a sexy hire but I don’t think a bad one.

Seton Hall graduate & big basketball fan here.

He’s a good coach but there’s a reason we haven’t done anything in the tournament in 12 years. He has no offensive scheme. I mean none. Needs a facilitating PG (which he has struggled to find) otherwise his offense goes stagnant for periods of time. His teams also lack fundamentals and are prone to making silly mistakes. For an inexplicable reason, regardless of talent, we stink every January. He’s a very good defensive coach.

Honestly wouldn’t be overly excited as a Maryland fan. Unless he relaxes his ego and brings in an offensive guy (which I’ve been dying for) I just don’t see him as a guy who can bring a school like Maryland to a final four or better.

I think Brey is a better fit.

Don't think it is going to be Brey:

-He has a fine recruiting class coming in.
-He is about 63. Time could start passing him by at anytime. How many times before in major College Sports history has a coach that old taken over a major program with good history and very, very high standards?

ADVERTISEMENT