ADVERTISEMENT

Madness is just around the corner and with road wins against good teams at a be at a premium, which teams have an advantage?

della

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2001
Team
Tennessee
Tennessee has not had a lot of success on the road against good teams, so who knows.

Thoughts?

Kentucky beat the hell out of KU on the road, but otherwise hasn't done very well (admittedly, lots of injury problems in those games). That's probably the single most impressive road win of the year, though - beating KU at the Phog by 20 (and it wasn't even that close) should count for a lot.

Pretty much nobody in the SEC, at least, has a decent chunk of quality road wins. Auburn's best road win was a squeaker over Alabama, Tennessee has...zero? Mississippi State's about the closest they got.

Arizona won @ Illinois (while they were beat up) and just recently at USC (who isn't nearly as good as their ranking suggests). So I'm not giving them a ton of credit there.

Wisconsin's beaten Purdue and Michigan State on the road. That might be the best pair of road wins in the country. But, really, there just aren't many teams with a serious chunk of big time road wins. Home court advantage just matters so much in basketball - especially in terms of officiating.

Tennessee has not had a lot of success on the road against good teams, so who knows.

Thoughts?

Why are road games vs good teams at a premium? Last I checked all games in the tourney are neutral site.

Why are road games vs good teams at a premium? Last I checked all games in the tourney are neutral site.
It speaks to home advantage, which of course there won't be. So, the question is who will have an advantage via neutral court or away game success? Just because Tennessee hasn't been stellar on the road and in neutral sites games doesn't mean everyone has, so who looks to have the advantage?

Kentucky beat the hell out of KU on the road, but otherwise hasn't done very well (admittedly, lots of injury problems in those games). That's probably the single most impressive road win of the year, though - beating KU at the Phog by 20 (and it wasn't even that close) should count for a lot.

Pretty much nobody in the SEC, at least, has a decent chunk of quality road wins. Auburn's best road win was a squeaker over Alabama, Tennessee has...zero? Mississippi State's about the closest they got.

Arizona won @ Illinois (while they were beat up) and just recently at USC (who isn't nearly as good as their ranking suggests). So I'm not giving them a ton of credit there.

Wisconsin's beaten Purdue and Michigan State on the road. That might be the best pair of road wins in the country. But, really, there just aren't many teams with a serious chunk of big time road wins. Home court advantage just matters so much in basketball - especially in terms of officiating.
Tennessee beat up UNC pretty bad on a neutral site, but that is not saying as much as in years past.

Tennessee beat up UNC pretty bad on a neutral site, but that is not saying as much as in years past.

Yeah, Kentucky beat 'em by 30 or so, too. But UNC's just not very good this year. Record's inflated by a terrible ACC. UNC's 'best win' is Michigan - a Michigan team that's massively underachieved and whose head coach is in serious hot water.

Kentucky's second best road win this year is Bama, and who knows what the hell the deal is with this Alabama team. But that's still better than most everyone in the country's top two road wins. Resume would've looked a lot better if they'd just closed that game out @ Arky last week, almost would've ensured a 1 seed.

We've won at Purdue, IU, MSU, and Rutgers, and beat Houston in Maui (Vegas).

We've won at Purdue, IU, MSU, and Rutgers, and beat Houston in Maui (Vegas).
That’s pretty good. If y’all are going to be a favorite I wish you’d change your uniforms. Y’all kinda look like peppermint sticks out there.

That’s pretty good. If y’all are going to be a favorite I wish you’d change your uniforms. Y’all kinda look like peppermint sticks out there.
Sweet like candy.

I think those are the throwbacks designed by the players. If you're talking about the ones they wore Tuesday night.

• Haha
Reactions: della
FWIW, here are the road and neutral records for the top 20 NET teams:

1. Gonzaga: 5-1 and 3-2
2. Arizona: 9-3 and 2-0
3. Houston: 7-2 and 3-1
4. Baylor: 8-3 and 3-0
5. Kentucky: 5-5 and 1-1
6. Duke: 9-2 and 2-0
7. Villanova: 8-5 and 2-1
8. Kansas: 6-4 and 3-1
9. Tennessee: 6-5 and 1-2
10. Auburn: 8-3 and 3-1
11. Texas Tech: 8-4 and 1-1
12. UCLA: 8-4 and 1-1
13. Purdue: 5-5 and 4-0
14. Illinois: 7-4 and 2-1
15. Texas: 4-6 and 1-0
16. LSU: 2-8 and 4-0
17. Iowa: 5-5 and 1-0
18. UConn: 5-5 and 3-1
19. Saint Mary's: 6-4 and 2-2
20. Wisconsin: 9-2 and 3-0

Obviously, I didn't go in and look at who those road wins were against ... I'm sure a lot of Duke's 9 road wins were vs. trash ACC teams, and I'm sure Saint Mary's losses are quite unimpressive. LSU's road record stands out as really bad among this group, while Wisconsin's and Baylor's stand out as really good. Arizona's is good, too, but the Pac-12 just doesn't look as good as the Big Ten or Big XII.

Obviously, I didn't go in and look at who those road wins were against ... I'm sure a lot of Duke's 9 road wins were vs. trash ACC teams, and I'm sure Saint Mary's losses are quite unimpressive. LSU's road record stands out as really bad among this group, while Wisconsin's and Baylor's stand out as really good. Arizona's is good, too, but the Pac-12 just doesn't look as good as the Big Ten or Big XII.
Well, that was very informative, thanks. So far only that De Paul guy was too slow to understand the question. The Vols aren't in as bad shape as I had figured. Thx.

Well, that was very informative, thanks. So far only that De Paul guy was too slow to understand the question. The Vols aren't in as bad shape as I had figured. Thx.
Yeah, like I said, I don't know who beat whom. Still informative, though. Using my team as an example, Illinois' road wins have helped its resume quite a bit:

at #17 Iowa (Quad 1)
at #107 Minnesota (Quad 2)
at #148 Nebraska (Quad 3 ... good LORD, they're bad!)
at #83 Northwestern (Quad 2)
at #45 Indiana (Quad 1)
at #35 Michigan State (Quad 1)
at #32 Michigan (Quad 1)

Considering a road win is Quad 1 if the other team is in the top 75 (whereas home is top 30), road wins are indeed huge for a resume.

Impressive homework.

aplus-a-christmas-story.gif

It’s not saying anything this year. They’ve been beat to death by several teams this year.

We're not sitting well della.

But there's always hope in the conference tournament :)

The last regular season games this weekend are going to make or break some Big 10 teams. Must win games for Michigan and Indiana with both playing on the road against arch rivals wanting nothing more than to be spoilers. If Michigan loses I think they'll have to win the conference tourney to get in. I don't think a 15-loss team has ever gotten an at-large bid. I think Rutgers has done enough to get in but they could reverse that with a loss at home to Penn State.

SEC needs to move up their Championship game to Saturday. NCAA selection committee has shown/said they don't care over and over. It's up to to the SEC to move it up.

Honest question, not flaming but I haven’t seen a single team in the SEC look great on the road.

I do love Alpha Jabari has emerged.

SEC needs to move up their Championship game to Saturday. NCAA selection committee has shown/said they don't care over and over. It's up to to the SEC to move it up.
Exactly! The year we beat Texas A&M in the title game of the SEC tourney and still got a lower seed than them still blows my mind.

Hope spring eternal! I will be pulling for y'all. However, if it doesn't work out join me on the Big Orange Express as Barnes/Tennessee carves a trail of glory thru the NCAA tourney!

Stranger things have happened man. I think We have the best player in America but South Carolina is so good. Would love to see us pull it off.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
ADVERTISEMENT