ADVERTISEMENT

KU vs Baylor

9660779.gif

Yeah for some reason that 2nd Rd loss to Stanford w/ Wiggins just kinda stayed in my memory bank. I know the 2nd Rd loss to Wich St w/ Oubre was a tough draw. Maybe losses stand out more than the actual wins unfairly. Amurrrrrica!
True.

But that loss to Stanford was a worse draw.

Stanford was a team of trees. When Embiid went out with injury, our front line became weak. And our guard play had been our weakness all year...so we couldn’t exploit their weakness. With Embiid, KU was a legit top 5 team. He could take a game over by himself. Without him, we were very pedestrian. Yeah Wiggins was good, but he wasn’t a shooter....we didn’t have shooters. With Embiid out, all Stanford had to do was clog up the middle and force us to shoot jump shots. I was dreading that Stanford matchup before we got it, cause I knew they were a terrible matchup for Embiid-less KU.

Reactions: KUhawks34
Can't help but feel like we'll probably see both of these teams in the Final Four. If Duke gets a 2 seed, I'll gladly take the region with Gonzaga or San Diego State.

Kansas was the better team yesterday. When they can spread it out and give Udoka all that space, it’s nearly unguardable. Baylor can switch on the pick and roll with Vital, but it backfired with all the space that was open for the big man. Kudos to Self for coming up with a really good game plan.

Despite that, Baylor showed some mettle and hung in there. In the past, Baylor would crumble under pressure like that and would lay an egg in big games or at crunch time.

I’d love to see these two teams play again. Only time will tell. Everyone wanted that KU Mizzou rematch in Mizzous last year, but Baylor screwed that up. I’m sure we’ll find a way to screw this up too.

Bracketology has KU as the 1, Duke as the 2 and Kentucky as the 3 in the Midwest. That would be a pretty sick region.

Bracketology has KU as the 1, Duke as the 2 and Kentucky as the 3 in the Midwest. That would be a pretty sick region.

UK has played KU once and Duke zero times in the tournament under Cal. Kind of crazy tbh. Played UNC/IU/UL multiple times.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Self is now 20-7 all-time vs top 5 teams. 4-2 vs #1 teams.

Just needs another title and the haters will quietly slink back under their rocks.

kentucky cant be in the midwest and get those games in Indy. better not happen. send them south.

Self is one of the greatest CBB coaches of all time, period. Anyone saying differently has an agenda.

Greatest? Nah. He's a hall of fame coach no doubt though. Needs a second title to get into the greatest conversation.

Reactions: RedR8der4Life
Greatest? Nah. He's a hall of fame coach no doubt though. Needs a second title to get into the greatest conversation.

He said “one of.” That could mean anything.

Another title would remove any doubt that he deserves to rank among the best, but it doesn’t magically make him a better coach than he’s been throughout his career.

It’s kind of like saying that Beard needs a national title to be considered one of the top coaches in the game today. No...he clearly already is.

He said “one of.” That could mean anything.

Another title would remove any doubt that he deserves to rank among the best, but it doesn’t magically make him a better coach than he’s been throughout his career.

It’s kind of like saying that Beard needs a national title to be considered one of the top coaches in the game today. No...he clearly already is.

He said one of the greatest of all time. Generally you are talking top 10 at the most for that. Self doesn't belong in that conversation right now.

Best now isn't best all time. How many active coaches have titles right now? Less than 10? Clearly he doesn't need to have one to be in that conversation.

He said one of the greatest of all time. Generally you are talking top 10 at the most for that. Self doesn't belong in that conversation right now.

Best now isn't best all time. How many active coaches have titles right now? Less than 10? Clearly he doesn't need to have one to be in that conversation.

“Greatest” is an opinion, and that opinion should probably involve more criteria than counting titles. I’m pretty sure that most people would rank a number of the coaches with one title above some of those with two titles. Especially those from completely different eras.

You should tell the rest of your fanbase that lol

“Greatest” is an opinion, and that opinion should probably involve more criteria than counting titles. I’m pretty sure that most people would rank a number of the coaches with one title above some of those with two titles. Especially those from completely different eras.

I agree, but I don't think anyone would count Self among the greatest coaches ever. As in the very very top. He's in the second tier along with guys like Cal imo, unless he wins a second title.

You should tell the rest of your fanbase that lol

Not counting the raftards, does anyone really believe that? He's at the top of the list of this era, but it definitely would hurt him if he doesn't get a second.

Reactions: jhmossy
I agree, but I don't think anyone would count Self among the greatest coaches ever. As in the very very top. He's in the second tier along with guys like Cal imo, unless he wins a second title.

Not counting the raftards, does anyone really believe that? He's at the top of the list of this era, but it definitely would hurt him if he doesn't get a second.

So who are the ten coaches that absolutely everyone would rank higher?

So who are the ten coaches that absolutely everyone would rank higher?

Top tier (the GOAT conversation)
K
Wooden
Rupp
Knight

Next tier-
Roy
Calhoun
Dean Smith

Then you get to guys like Cal, Self, Izzo, Olson, Boeheim, etc.

So maybe not 10, but at least 7. If Self wins #2 this year maybe he jumps into the conversation with Dean Smith.

K
Wooden
Rupp
Knight

Next tier-
Roy
Calhoun
Dean Smith

So maybe not 10, but at least 7. If Self wins #2 this year maybe he jumps into the conversation with Dean Smith.

Hank Iba. Crum. Pitino. Donovan. Hopgood. Geno.

K
Wooden
Rupp
Knight

Next tier-
Roy
Calhoun
Dean Smith

Roy is ahead of Knight.

And where’s Phog?

Roy is ahead of Knight.

And where’s Phog?

Honestly list was off the top of my head so probably missed a bunch. Point was that Self is a hall of famer and phenomenal coach, but he's not in that top tier of greatest coaches ever.

Honestly list was off the top of my head so probably missed a bunch. Point was that Self is a hall of famer and phenomenal coach, but he's not in that top tier of greatest coaches ever.
He’s in the top 1% of 1% of CBB coaches ever. But yes, he’s below a consensus 7-8 guys.

K
Wooden
Rupp
Knight

Next tier-
Roy
Calhoun
Dean Smith

But you took issue with someone calling him “one of the greatest,” then defined that as top 10.

But you took issue with someone calling him “one of the greatest,” then defined that as top 10.

(This isn’t meant to you MB in anyway, but to the other few) wasn’t trying to start an argument, I’m simply saying that Self is certainly one of the best, didn’t say Top 10 or Top 5 all time, etc (though I think it’s in the conversation), but if you can’t recognize he is one of the greatest CBB coaches then just admit you simply have an agenda and move on.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
KU fans, which region would you prefer to be in, the Midwest or the South?

I think I'd prefer to be in the South. The Midwest is always scary when it's in a place like Indianapolis or Detroit or Ohio. There's going to be around 10 Big Ten schools in the tournament along with high seeds like Dayton, Louisville and Kentucky. All of them would have a home court advantage over Kansas. Louisville or Kentucky would be a huge home court advantage for them and it would rival the 2007 screw job that the committee gave us when they sent Kansas to Los Angeles as the 1 with UCLA as the 2. I'm not saying that any of those 3 of Dayton, Louisville or Kentucky would be in the MW region but the chance is fairly high. And there will be atleast 2 Big 10 teams in the region, possibly even 3.

If Kansas gets sent to Houston you literally eliminate any of the above concerns other than maybe playing a 7 seed LSU/Houston in the Elite 8. Even then it would be pretty evenly matched. It's just as easy to get to Houston from KC area as it is to Indianapolis and there's a much bigger alumni population in Houston than Indianapolis.

I think this is a no brainer.

Yeah, it sounds like the South would be preferable.

I'll be pretty pissed if we see another UCLA in 07 situation. Especially if KU is the overall 1.

Although they seem to be road warriors.

ADVERTISEMENT