ADVERTISEMENT

Kobe Bryant dead?

Dale Earnhardt is the closest in sports I can think of. In terms of celebrity this feeling like when Paul Walker died.
i agree on Earnhardt as a sports figure

i doubt any celebrity/athlete death will ever compare with Elvis
for me personally the one that hurt the most was when Prince died

this is so sad
as a man that has lost a sibling, a niece, and a nephew in two separate car crashes
prayers sent to all the families of all involved

Dale Earnhardt is the closest in sports I can think of. In terms of celebrity this feeling like when Paul Walker died.
Princess Di > Paul Walker when it comes to celebrities and not even close, unless you meant personally.

@JimboBBN I remembered you being a big Kobe fan. My condolences, buddy. So fvcking sad.

Reactions: JimboBBN
Buddy texted me "RIP Kobe" earlier and I thought it was in jest because of LBJ passing him on the all-time scoring list. Found out he was serious about an hour later. I didn't expect to be in such shock but this news brought a tear to my eye. And of course this unforgiving world takes his daughter with him, sad as hell. He was doing some great things away from the court recently. One of my all-time faves on and off the court. Rest in Peace Mamba (his tribute package from the NBA 100% needs to end with a clip of him saying "Mamba out").

Reactions: toonces11
Princess Di > Paul Walker when it comes to celebrities and not even close, unless you meant personally.

@JimboBBN I remembered you being a big Kobe fan. My condolences, buddy. So fvcking sad.

When Paul Walker died a couple years ago it was unbelievable because it was at the peak of the Fast and the Furious hype. It’s still really weird to think about him being dead and that’s how Kobe is going to be like IMO.

No idea what that has to do with Princess Diana.

Reactions: IlliniGuy4Life
When Paul Walker died a couple years ago it was unbelievable because it was at the peak of the Fast and the Furious hype. It’s still really weird to think about him being dead and that’s how Kobe is going to be like IMO.

No idea what that has to do with Princess Diana.
You mentioned how this felt in terms of celebrity. I just don’t think many people cared or even knew who PW was. Anyway, it’s a shitty conversation to have at this time. I just remember the shock when Di died, and this is similar. More so than PW.

You mentioned how this felt in terms of celebrity. I just don’t think many people cared or even knew who PW was. Anyway, it’s a shitty conversation to have at this time. I just remember the shock when Di died, and this is similar. More so than PW.

Not in my experience or my circle but I was 8 when Princess Diana died.

No idea why you’re turning this into a competition. All I said was that this had the feeling of when Paul Walker died. If it doesn’t to you cool, idc.

Fast and the Furious is one of the top 15 movie franchises of all time and Paul Walker was the face of it. His death from being in a crash in a high speed sports car was crazy and shocking. The Whiz Khalifa song dedicated to him is the #3 most viewed YouTube video of all time with 4.3 billion views.

And that’s not to say his death was as big as Elvis, or Princess Di, or JFK, or Kobe. All I’m saying is that this feels like one of those “holy shit he’s actually gone” deaths.

This is just a weird thing for me to have to defend.

Last edited:
Reactions: DiehardDukeFan4Life
What a tragic occurrence. I pray for all family members of those aboard that helicopter.

Kobe was so much larger than the game of basketball, a true global icon. I’m not sure “shock” can even begin to summarize what I’m feeling. You never expect someone to die young, but there was such a true sense of invincibility that surrounded him.

R.I.P. Kobe

Reactions: jackrabbit slim
Not in my experience or my circle but I was 8 when Princess Diana died.

No idea why you’re turning this into a competition. All I said was that this had the feeling of when Paul Walker died. If it doesn’t to you cool, idc.

I’m not. Said as much. Have a good night.

I think it is probably one of those deals where your character can hang out in some sort of hub. Maybe. IDK, haha. I'm old as well.

I think it is probably one of those deals where your character can hang out in some sort of hub. Maybe. IDK, haha. I'm old as well.
Yeah I was thinking maybe something like that. Seems to be a pretty big deal to that community. It’s got 130k likes.

That’s a video game?

Sorry, I’m old. I don’t get it.

It’s an open park where you can walk around between 8 different courts and play 3on3 or 2on2 online. You can buy jerseys, clothes, etc. for your player. You can also buy animations.

I’m online now and the parks are full of people in Lakers gear. That particular park did a walk around the park doing that animation. It’s pretty awesome.

The boys to men short tribute was just incredible. The world lost a sports icon.....and the most crushing part is he lost his daughter. The community college coach on board, with wife, with daughter, leaves behind two kids....parentless. Devastating

Reactions: Noahtogo24
I'd say, for me, this is the biggest death since I saw Kurt Loder come on MTV and break the news about Kurt Cobain. I can recall the Saturday night Diana died. I believe SNL was on. But, I wasn't that bothered by it. I also never was a Earnhardt fan either.

I'd say, for me, this is the biggest death since I saw Kurt Loder come on MTV and break the news about Kurt Cobain. I can recall the Saturday night Diana died. I believe SNL was on. But, I wasn't that bothered by it. I also never was a Earnhardt fan either.

SNL was indeed on. I was watching it and thought it was a really poor taste skit. Then realized it was a live cut in.

This one feels like Princess Di for me a lot. Just shocking and feels like it could have been easily avoided. And the world lost a great ambassador in both cases.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
The boys to men short tribute was just incredible. The world lost a sports icon.....and the most crushing part is he lost his daughter. The community college coach on board, with wife, with daughter, leaves behind two kids....parentless. Devastating
I’ll have to see if I can find a link for it but I saw a post on Facebook about another victim from the crash being identified. She was a girl’s basketball coach.

Reactions: toonces11
Kurt was awful. The worst. Diana was just so huge on a global scale. And, I was never an Earnhardt fan, but that was tragic, too. Just less so because it was definitely something that could happen in his profession.

Kurt was awful. The worst. Diana was just so huge on a global scale. And, I was never an Earnhardt fan, but that was tragic, too. Just less so because it was definitely something that could happen in his profession.
You and your boys coming back to Lexington/Keeneland this year? I looked for your thread from last year but couldn't find it. Just curious.

Yeah, can't think of many this big. I suppose Diana, on a world scale?

Michael Jackson, that was HUGE.

You and your boys coming back to Lexington/Keeneland this year? I looked for your thread from last year but couldn't find it. Just curious.
Great question. I know it's near the top of the list, but we rotate different places to accommodate those who don't live somewhat close. I know it's a possibility, and would be my first choice. We absolutely loved it down there. We haven't talked too much about it, but thanks for the reminder, because we need to start planning something, and soon.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
Yeah, can't think of many this big. I suppose Diana, on a world scale?

Michael Jackson, that was HUGE.

Michael Jackson is a good call, but I didn't care about that piece of shit. I was already in the "he's a pederast" camp by then. But, yeah, many, many, MANY people did care. Prince hurt a lot more personally. Michael was more of a good riddance, imo.

Reactions: Hawgaluiah
Michael Jackson is a good call, but I didn't care about that piece of shit. I was already in the "he's a pederast" camp by then. But, yeah, many, many, MANY people did care. Prince hurt a lot more personally. Michael was more of a good riddance, imo.

Yeah, Jackson was such a disaster by the end... but in terms of impact and size, it was really stunning.

But yeah, I know what you mean.

Reactions: 829305
Still hard to really comprehend the news this morning. He was just congratulating LBJ 2 nights ago on passing him in points. Just recently celebrated the 14 year anniversary of him dropping 81 on Toronto. My basketball idol growing up is gone.

ADVERTISEMENT