ADVERTISEMENT

KenPom Ratings By Conference:

if there is no SOS adjustment or any weight added to the points per possession on kenpom, colgate has the fourth highest number in the country because they have only played conference opponents

So confused. Colgate is #94 on kenpom?

I'm so fvcking confused. I feel like you made our point by pointing out Colgate would be much higher ranked in offensive efficiency if he didn't take into account the opponent. Loyola looks like an outlier on Kenpom, and they are that high because they have a great defense. They held Drake in the 50s in both games, a Drake team whose offensive efficiency is in the top 25.

if you click on the ‘data’ link you will download an excel file that includes the unadjusted offensive and defensive points per possession

So are you saying that's why you think their NET is high?

I don't think that's right. From what I can tell the NET uses adjusted efficiency which accounts for SOS and should be similar to kenpom. I think it's the other, not very well defined, component of the NET that focuses on "wins and losses" that is inflating their numbers.

Also, Colgate has so few games that the Kenpom #s probably still include some weight on preseason expectations which helps keep their number so reasonable.

My computer rankings, whatever you may think of them, definitely take into account SOS and mine have Colgate #10 as well. It's just a garbage in, garbage out thing, how are you supposed to make any sense of a team that has played against 3 (!) distinct opponents who have also mostly only played each other; only Army and Navy played any OOC games from that conference this year.

For all my complaints about human rankings and bias, etc, this is where humans > computers. I think the computer output is perfectly fine if you look at it from the standpoint of an alien who comes down and can only see results from this year, doesn't know what a Colgate or a Patriot League is, etc.

Like look at the output of the fluoxetine rankings that everyone laughs at in the first few weeks of the year because there's no preseason expectations built in. That's basically the level of stuff the NET has to work with on Colgate.

It's also possible that Kenpom rated them too low in preseason and it took awhile to work up.
No not at all. They weren't playing especially well early in the season. Mostly due to youth (Purdue is one of the youngest teams in power conferences), but also because we had a couple players out due to injury.

I don't think that's right. From what I can tell the NET uses adjusted efficiency which accounts for SOS and should be similar to kenpom. I think it's the other, not very well defined, component of the NET that focuses on "wins and losses" that is inflating their numbers.

Also, Colgate has so few games that the Kenpom #s probably still include some weight on preseason expectations which helps keep their number so reasonable.

My computer rankings, whatever you may think of them, definitely take into account SOS and mine have Colgate #10 as well. It's just a garbage in, garbage out thing, how are you supposed to make any sense of a team that has played against 3 (!) distinct opponents who have also mostly only played each other; only Army and Navy played any OOC games from that conference this year.

For all my complaints about human rankings and bias, etc, this is where humans > computers. I think the computer output is perfectly fine if you look at it from the standpoint of an alien who comes down and can only see results from this year, doesn't know what a Colgate or a Patriot League is, etc.
Yes, you are right, but Colgate is by far the exception and not the rule.

that makes sense, definitely have a weighted SOS. then you’re right, the patriot league bubble is confusing everything. i think it’s a funny situation that will never happen again. it’s been so weird seeing lafayette play loyola six times and the spread was always about 1-3 points lol

Reactions: fluoxetine
Top 25 Adjusted Offensive Efficiency:
1. Gonzaga
2. Iowa
3. Baylor
4. Ohio State
5. Villanova
6. LSU
7. Michigan
8. Florida State
9. Illinois
10. Houston
11. West Virginia
12. Creighton
13. Toledo
14. Duke
15. Virginia
16. Notre Dame
17. Colorado
18. Purdue
19. UCLA
20. Georgia Tech
21. Arizona
22. Oregon
23. BYU
24. Texas
25. Drake

Top 25 Adjusted Defensive Efficiency:
1. Loyola Chicago
2. Memphis
3. Alabama
4. Michigan
5. Houston
6. Tennessee
7. Illinois
8. San Diego State
9. Kansas
10. Gonzaga
11. Wisconsin
12. Clemson
13. Arkansas
14. VCU
15. USC
16. Texas Tech
17. Saint Mary's
18. Rutgers
19. Utah State
20. Purdue
21. North Carolina
22. Oklahoma State
23. Ole Miss
24. UConn
25. Baylor

This UVA team is so frustrating to watch defensively. It's still top 30 which is objectively pretty good but it's so much worse than the elite defenses we've been accustomed to. Our offense is so weird too. We have 4 guys who shoot over 40% from 3 but only one is a guard and he gets spot minutes. Our guards are good defenders who can't shoot and our bigs are great shooters who struggle to defend.

Reactions: duckboy33
Kenpom national SOS:

1) B1G
2) B1G
3) B1G
4) B1G
5) B1G
6) B1G
7) UK
8) B1G
9) B1G
10) Iowa St
11) B1G
12) B1G
13) B1G
14) B1G
15) B1G
16) B1G

Kudos to UK and Iowa St for playing tough B1G like schedules.
That would explain why Iowa State hasn't won a conference game yet. SmokinSmile

And to think after all these years of telling Cyclone fans what would happen if they played in the B10, and now look at them..............;)

Kenpom national SOS:

1) B1G
2) B1G
3) B1G
4) B1G
5) B1G
6) B1G
7) UK
8) B1G
9) B1G
10) Iowa St
11) B1G
12) B1G
13) B1G
14) B1G
15) B1G
16) B1G

Kudos to UK and Iowa St for playing tough B1G like schedules.

Hopefully fans of the B1G can finally brag about postseason success instead of relying solely on regular season success.

Hopefully fans of the B1G can finally brag about postseason success instead of relying solely on regular season success.
Well maybe teams outside the Big Ten should do a better job of letting a Big Ten team (preferably named Iowa) win the national championship..........ever think of that? This is a two-way relationship here, people. We shouldn't have to do ALL the work.

SmokinSmile

Reactions: sgrooms and jhmossy
Let's not forget that all their regular season success is vs each other. Their best OOC win is Loyola.

But hey....who needs postseason success when Kenpom's on your side?

The Sec's #6 team knocked off the B10's #2.
Mizzou vs Illinois

Hell, Wisconsin with 10 losses is in the t-25.

Let's not forget that all their regular season success is vs each other. Their best OOC win is Loyola.

But hey....who needs postseason success when Kenpom's on your side?

Over the past decade Michigan has more postseason success than any non-Kansas Big 12 team. A national title win would be nice but if you’re shitting on Michigan’s postseason you’re shitting on every single other Big 12 team too.

Over the past decade Michigan has more postseason success than any non-Kansas Big 12 team. A national title win would be nice but if you’re shitting on Michigan’s postseason you’re shitting on every single other Big 12 team too.

The difference is that B12 fans don't brag incessantly about conference dominance (Sheriff doesn't count).

You guys are like SEC football fans, minus all the winning.

Reactions: sgrooms
You mean this isn't Iowa's best team ever? (Did you ever hear me say that? That's not an indication one way or another. Just a straightforward question on its own, which you, no doubt, will still fail to not tie into your own obsessions when you inevitably respond..................:D)

Well, it was s'posed to be. (Still could be if you help do your f***ing job..... ;))

First time you've ever been preseason top 5. (That's on the AP for being dumb considering some of the teams Iowa has had in the past that probably deserved to be ranked.) Then you had to Iowa it up and lose 3 games to two teams with 26 combined losses. (Make less garbage NBA 3s and play less try-hard defense.....and maybe let Iowa make more shots.......and that wouldn't be a problem now would it. Must I think of everything for you guys?....)

But Daddy Kenpom will always be there to hold you if things don't work out, my friend. (He just knows better.....SmokinSmile)
Lol you place WAY too much value in the media and coaches polls, including such things as preseason polls......

Btw, in your precious polls, currently? Guess what?..............................

Iowa > Kansas SmokinSmile

Lol you place WAY too much value in the media and coaches polls, including such things as preseason polls......

Btw, in your precious polls, currently? Guess what?..............................

Iowa > Kansas SmokinSmile

Triggered. 😆

I don't place that much value in polls, but it's about all we can point to in terms of preseason expectations.

You guys, on the other hand, place waaay too much value in Kenpom. Depending on the year, of course. Last year? No good. Covid-mangled year? Perfection!

Triggered. 😆 (Well, thank you for confirming what we all knew about you...... ;))

I don't place that much value in polls (and yet you spend post after post arguing for the polls over KenPom......and if it didn't mean that much to you, you wouldn't waste the time and effort you waste to make your points.......just sayin. ;)) but it's about all we can point to in terms of preseason expectations.

You guys, on the other hand, place waaay too much value in Kenpom.Incredible. (Again, putting words in mouths.....) Depending on the year, of course. Last year? No good. Covid-mangled year? Perfection! (I can't help it if Mr. KenPom loves watching Iowa basketball.....SmokinSmile)
Deal with it.

Ole Ken would have my boys as a 6th seed now after that thrilling loss to Baylor. Good thing the committee isn't going by kenpom.

Ohio St at #7 with a 12-8 conference record and a bunch of narrow non-con wins over teams like Cleveland St. Laughing

The Big 10’s faceplant is going to be hilarious.

Duke and Kentucky being so high should expose the flaws in kenpom. It has some formula which goes off preseason rankings that bolster teams improperly thought to be good.

ADVERTISEMENT