ADVERTISEMENT

It's pretty cool there are 3 Blue Bloods in the AP top 10

You’ve trolled so hard that nobody bites anymore unless you start a thread all on your own.

How many Blue Bloods do you think their are?
All just my worthless opinion, but … I do love college basketball history:

Clear Blue Bloods are UK, UNC, UCLA, KU and Duke … roughly in that order of historical prestige, in my view.

I then think Indiana and Louisville are too similar historically to not be grouped together. If you want to call IU a Blue Blood, I guess I’m fine with that … but I think UL is, also.

Then there’s a next tier of programs that have a very elite tradition but could probably not ascend in our lifetimes or ever, simply due to how ingrained the current group is in everyone’s minds. Michigan State, Arizona, UConn, Syracuse, etc.

Certain programs like Michigan, Illinois, Georgetown, Villanova, Purdue, Cincinnati, Arkansas, etc. have had stretches where they’ve easily been good enough to be counted as in this tier but either have one issue holding them back (like 0 NCs for Illinois or only 2 Final Fours for Purdue) or have had long enough stretches of being bad that their historical consistency doesn’t measure up in terms of all-time winning pctg., NCAAT appearances, weeks in the AP Poll, etc. (like Michigan’s awful stretch and meh all-time winning pctg.).

Then come your Iowas. :) Honestly pretty decent traditions, but haven’t produced many elite teams in modern history and have lacked consistency for long stretches.

All just my worthless opinion, but … I do love college basketball history:

Clear Blue Bloods are UK, UNC, UCLA, KU and Duke … roughly in that order of historical prestige, in my view.

I then think Indiana and Louisville are too similar historically to not be grouped together. If you want to call IU a Blue Blood, I guess I’m fine with that … but I think UL is, also.

Then there’s a next tier of programs that have a very elite tradition but could probably not ascend in our lifetimes or ever, simply due to how ingrained the current group is in everyone’s minds. Michigan State, Arizona, UConn, Syracuse, etc.

Certain programs like Michigan, Illinois, Georgetown, Villanova, Purdue, Cincinnati, Arkansas, etc. have had stretches where they’ve easily been good enough to be counted as in this tier but either have one issue holding them back (like 0 NCs for Illinois or only 2 Final Fours for Purdue) or have had long enough stretches of being bad that their historical consistency doesn’t measure up in terms of all-time winning pctg., NCAAT appearances, weeks in the AP Poll, etc. (like Michigan’s awful stretch and meh all-time winning pctg.).

Then come your Iowas. :) Honestly pretty decent traditions, but haven’t produced many elite teams in modern history and have lacked consistency for long stretches.

UK
UCLA

Duke
UNC

Indiana, barely

How many Blue Bloods do you think there are?
Honestly, I could make an argument for just 4 (Duke, UK, KU and UNC) but it's hard to leave UCLA out. They have 11 fvcking titles and have been to four Final Fours in the last 15 years.

I don't see any others. I know IU has 5 titles (and I wish we had one) but I can't call someone a blueblood that's been to just one Final Four in the last 30 years and it was 20 years ago.

• Haha
Reactions: hawkit3113
You're saying that KU has been an average program over the last decade?
the-joker-heath-ledger.gif

I'll add that it's pretty easy to support my thoughts using @dukedevilz top programs of all time analysis. There is a pretty clear dropoff after the top 5. In fact, there is a bigger gap between 5 and 6 that there is between 6 and 19 (and 19 is freaking Utah).

50-Greatest-Programs.png

I'll add that it's pretty easy to support my thoughts using @dukedevilz top programs of all time analysis. There is a pretty clear dropoff after the top 5. In fact, there is a bigger gap between 5 and 6 that there is between 6 and 19 (and 19 is freaking Utah).

50-Greatest-Programs.png

That was my initial ranking. I added a few more metrics, which I think strengthened the rankings a bit. San Francisco dropped out of the top 25.

But yes, a sizeable gap between 5th and 6th. Louisville actually jumped Indiana on my updated rankings.

75-Greatest-Programs.png

Honestly, I could make an argument for just 4 (Duke, UK, KU and UNC) but it's hard to leave UCLA out. They have 11 fvcking titles and have been to four Final Fours in the last 15 years.

I don't see any others. I know IU has 5 titles (and I wish we had one) but I can't call someone a blueblood that's been to just one Final Four in the last 30 years and it was 20 years ago.

UCLA not a blue blood, lol. Troll

ADVERTISEMENT