ADVERTISEMENT

Is Torvik wrong about your favorite team?

ChrisShivers

Gold Member
Oct 21, 2017
For those of you who are unaware, Bart Torvik is basically KenPom Lite. He recently released his 2018-19 preseason ratings for all 351 teams.

You can find his preseason ratings here: http://www.barttorvik.com/

And for reference, here is last year's end-of-season ratings: http://barttorvik.com/trankslice.php?year=2018&sort=&conlimit=#

Let's each pick out our favorite team, or a team we feel very strongly about, and decide if Torvik's rating is too high, too low, or just about right.

I'll start!

Iowa

Torvik last year:
Torvik this year: #40
My rating: #25

I think #40 is too low. Admittedly, improving them 48 spots from the end of last year is a huge jump, but I don't think talent wise last year's team was truly #88. Last year's team was really good offensively, but horrific on defense. They were 21st in adjusted offensive efficiency but a dreadful 226th in defensive efficiency. Fran's teams have never been known for their defense, but last year's team just didn't even bother. I think it was an effort thing. They didn't place an emphasis on that end of the floor, didn't run back, didn't communicate, there was unfamiliarity in the system, etc.

Listening to Fran this preseason, it's clear Iowa is spending extra practice time on the defensive end of the floor, and they're putting a big emphasis on defensive improvement. If they can be a top-100 level defensive team, which I think is doable, then there's no reason why they can't sneak into the top 25. Fran's 2011-12 team was #205 in defense and a year later, with many of the same players, they improved to 24th. So drastic improvement can happen. I think this team has great chemistry, a ton of offensive talent, and will exceed expectations.

Reactions: Mgkcbb
Preseason models are historically terrible, so I’ll wait til mid season to judge.

He’s got UK losing 8 games and projects Tyler Herro to average 3 PPG. That’s, uh...not going to be very accurate.

UNC could be top 3, or they could be closer to 20. It's hard to tell how they'll play when they're depending on so many unproven commodities. Vegas has the Tar Heels at #5, so I'm optimistic.

I’m trying to figure out how he’s predicting Duke to have a 22-7 regular season record when Duke plays 31 regular season games.

For those of you who are unaware, Bart Torvik is basically KenPom Lite. He recently released his 2018-19 preseason ratings for all 351 teams.

You can find his preseason ratings here: http://www.barttorvik.com/

And for reference, here is last year's end-of-season ratings: http://barttorvik.com/trankslice.php?year=2018&sort=&conlimit=#

Let's each pick out our favorite team, or a team we feel very strongly about, and decide if Torvik's rating is too high, too low, or just about right.

I'll start!

Iowa

Torvik last year:
Torvik this year: #40
My rating: #25

I think #40 is too low. Admittedly, improving them 48 spots from the end of last year is a huge jump, but I don't think talent wise last year's team was truly #88. Last year's team was really good offensively, but horrific on defense. They were 21st in adjusted offensive efficiency but a dreadful 226th in defensive efficiency. Fran's teams have never been known for their defense, but last year's team just didn't even bother. I think it was an effort thing. They didn't place an emphasis on that end of the floor, didn't run back, didn't communicate, there was unfamiliarity in the system, etc.

Listening to Fran this preseason, it's clear Iowa is spending extra practice time on the defensive end of the floor, and they're putting a big emphasis on defensive improvement. If they can be a top-100 level defensive team, which I think is doable, then there's no reason why they can't sneak into the top 25. Fran's 2011-12 team was #205 in defense and a year later, with many of the same players, they improved to 24th. So drastic improvement can happen. I think this team has great chemistry, a ton of offensive talent, and will exceed expectations.

I don't get why he has Michigan getting 5 points per 100 possessions worse on defense. That makes absolutely no sense given who we lost and who we return.

I’m trying to figure out how he’s predicting Duke to have a 22-7 regular season record when Duke plays 31 regular season games.
Oh well this is an easy one.
He's counting on the first two games of the season being ripped from the record because duke played al ineligible player. Zion.

I kid, I kid.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT