ADVERTISEMENT

Is Texas Tech a National Title Contender?

bignish

Gold Member
Feb 15, 2016
Team
Duke
While this board fixates on Duke/UNC/UVA/Gonzaga/UK, the Red Raiders have the 2nd best defensive efficiency rating in KenPom history tied with Kentucky 2015 and just behind Calipari's Memphis team in 2009.

While their offense is only rated 47th, its not representative of how good TTU has been playing on that end of the floor as of late since that rating was in the 100s just a month or so ago. TTU has scored 255 points on 188 possessions in its last 3 games and has shot 49% from 3 over its last 4 games. That's elite offensive efficiency right there.

Tech also has a bonafide star in Jarret Culver that's playing like one of the best players in the country alongside the likes of Zion, Barrett, PJ Washington, DeAndre Hunter, Cassius Winston, Grant Williams, etc. etc.

I'm really hoping Texas Tech moves up to a 3 seed because that's a nightmare Sweet 16 matchup for any of the 1 seeds.

Anybody else buying TTU as a title contender? They're on my short list right now along with Duke, UNC, UVA, UK and the Zags.

Reactions: JimboBBN
What Chris Beard has done there is remarkable too. They made an Elite 8 last year and gave eventual national champions Villanova their toughest game of the tournament.

If I were UCLA's trustees, I'd write Beard a blank check to woo him over to Westwood.

If I'm being honest, I don't think I've seen them play a single game this year. But after what the did to Kansas and looking back at what they've done the past few years, I'd saying they're worthy of being in the contender discussion. I certainly wouldn't want them as our 4. I agree with you on that.

While this board fixates on Duke/UNC/UVA/Gonzaga/UK, the Red Raiders have the 2nd best defensive efficiency rating in KenPom history tied with Kentucky 2015 and just behind Calipari's Memphis team in 2009.

While their offense is only rated 47th, its not representative of how good TTU has been playing on that end of the floor as of late since that rating was in the 100s just a month or so ago. TTU has scored 255 points on 188 possessions in its last 3 games and has shot 49% from 3 over its last 4 games. That's elite offensive efficiency right there.

Tech also has a bonafide star in Jarret Culver that's playing like one of the best players in the country alongside the likes of Zion, Barrett, PJ Washington, DeAndre Hunter, Cassius Winston, Grant Williams, etc. etc.

I'm really hoping Texas Tech moves up to a 3 seed because that's a nightmare Sweet 16 matchup for any of the 1 seeds.

Anybody else buying TTU as a title contender? They're on my short list right now along with Duke, UNC, UVA, UK and the Zags.

I wouldn’t be shocked if they made it back to the Elite 8 with a historic defense. I don’t think they are a title contender as to say they will make it to the Final 4, but I expect that defense to carry them far. If they face a team similar to Duke with more talent and explosive offense, then that would stop them from getting to the Final 4. Im surprised their offense is rated that low.

Texas Tech takes more charges than UNC, so that certainly helps their defensive numbers. If the refs will call it tight in the NCAA Tournament, they could possibly sneak into the Final Four. I just want to see if their offensive numbers will improve between now and the NCAA Tournament and during the NCAA Tournament like Duke’s defense did in 2015.

I wouldn’t be shocked if they made it back to the Elite 8 with a historic defense. I don’t think they are a title contender as to say they will make it to the Final 4, but I expect that defense to carry them far. If they face a team similar to Duke with more talent and explosive offense, then that would stop them from getting to the Final 4. Im surprised their offense is rated that low.

Teams do improve, you know. Not sure if you watched them the other night, but that's not exactly a team that's struggling to score. They've had several hot shooting games in a row now.

If they continue to shoot anywhere close to that, they can play with/beat anyone.

I don’t why they’re not considered a national title contender. What Chris Beard has done TTU is remarkable. This is a veteran team who is disciplined on both ends of the floor. I really like TTU’s style. They can suffocate you on the defensive end and are rather crafty offensively as of late. The Red Raiders should fully be involved in the national title talks.

If I'm being honest, I don't think I've seen them play a single game this year. But after what the did to Kansas and looking back at what they've done the past few years, I'd saying they're worthy of being in the contender discussion. I certainly wouldn't want them as our 4. I agree with you on that.
Yeah man, I think all the 1 seeds want to avoid playing Texas Tech, LSU and Houston in the Sweet 16 if they can.

It's felt like a down year in college basketball all year for some reason but if you look at it closer, the top 10 teams are as strong as I can ever remember.

Duke, Gonzaga and UVA this year are top 5 KenPom teams since 2002.

They're the #1 rated team by Torvik in the month of February. And honestly, their shooting percentages aren't bad; they're actually very comparable to UNC in terms of shooting. I could realistically see them making the Final Four. They won't be an easy out, that's for sure. But it's still tough to imagine them winning 6 in a row.

If the stars line up for them, they could. But they're not going to have great offensive nights throughout the tournament. I think elite 8 is their ceiling again. Once they hit elite defenses that have good offenses, they're done. They'll need to rely too much on Culver, and I've seen them play when they need him but don't run the offense through or for him.

Reactions: Quavarius
They're the #1 rated team by Torvik in the month of February. And honestly, their shooting percentages aren't bad; they're actually very comparable to UNC in terms of shooting. I could realistically see them making the Final Four. They won't be an easy out, that's for sure. But it's still tough to imagine them winning 6 in a row.
You can say that about every team though. It's tough to win 6 games in the tournament period.

It"ll come down to matchups and I think Duke matches up really well with them but I could see them giving Gonzaga, UK and UVA all they can handle for instance.

If the stars line up for them, they could. But they're not going to have great offensive nights throughout the tournament. I think elite 8 is their ceiling again. Once they hit elite defenses that have good offenses, they're done. They'll need to rely too much on Culver, and I've seen them play when they need him but don't run the offense through or for him.
Matt Mooney is really good too. It depends on whether you believe that TTU has turned a corner offensively.

It"ll be tough for anyone to score on them as Duke found out back in December so I don't see anyone blowing them out neccessarily.

Not only are the number 1, I believe they have the #1 O and D in the month of February! They are absolutely a title contender.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Not only are the number 1, I believe they have the #1 O and D in the month of February! They are absolutely a title contender.

If they had North Carolina on their chests, they'd be getting as much or more hype as Duke.

Reactions: bignish
If they had North Carolina on their chests, they'd be getting as much or more hype as Duke.
Absolutely, I feel like I follow CBB as closely as anyone but it wasn't until the beat down of KU on Saturday that I realized how good they've been in the last month.

Reactions: RockChalkRally
I havent seen them play since early this year. I honestly kind of forgot about them. Big 12 just hasnt been on my radar at all this year

Teams do improve, you know. Not sure if you watched them the other night, but that's not exactly a team that's struggling to score. They've had several hot shooting games in a row now.

If they continue to shoot anywhere close to that, they can play with/beat anyone.

Maybe you missed the post where I said “if their offensive numbers can improve before and during the NCAA Tournament to go along with their historic defense.”

Even after their shooting performance on Saturday, they still rank almost 50th in offensive efficiency, which is why I said if they can have a 2015 Duke type transformation on the offensive side of the ball then they will be a title contender.

Right now, I don’t consider them a title contender, but I wouldn’t be shocked at a Sweet 16/Elite 8 either if the tournament started today. But if they improve on offense, then I can see a FF with this team.

You’ve just described their game against Duke in December. They were able to get Duke into foul trouble on some questionable charges in the first half and Duke’s talent won out in the end.

Okay? What exactly is your point? Texas Tech's offense isn't even in the top 40.

As someone pointed out, they have the #1 O and D in Feb. That's kinda significant. They've made at least 12 threes in three games straight, 16 vs KU.

They aren't just a little more balanced right now. They're looking elite on both ends. Whether they keep it up is another story, but it's a several game sample. They look like a team peaking at the right time.

As someone pointed out, they have the #1 O and D in Feb. That's kinda significant. They've made at least 12 threes in three games straight, 16 vs KU.

They aren't just a little more balanced right now. They're looking elite on both ends. Whether they keep it up is another story, but it's a several game sample. They look like a team peaking at the right time.
They are ranked #5 on offense in February on the rankings he mentioned. Do you plan on continuing to make things up? Also, who cares about Bart Torvik's rankings?

http://barttorvik.com/trank.php?yea...1&top=0&quad=5&venue=All&type=All&mingames=0#

They are ranked #5 on offense in February on the rankings he mentioned. Do you plan on continuing to make things up? Also, who cares about Bart Torvik's rankings?

http://barttorvik.com/trank.php?yea...1&top=0&quad=5&venue=All&type=All&mingames=0#

Not sure how repeating something said by another poster equates to making things up.

Who cares about any rankings, frankly? They just help to reinforce the point that they've been very balanced lately. The best defensive team in the nation is now raining threes. Anyone dismissing that is delusional about the strength of the field.

Not sure how repeating something said by another poster equates to making things up.

Who cares about any rankings, frankly? They just help to reinforce the point that they've been very balanced lately. The best defensive team in the nation is now raining threes. Anyone dismissing that is delusional about the strength of the field.
He said they were ranked #1 overall, not in offense. I assumed you could read, my bad.

And I never said I cared about ratings, you were the one who pointed to the ratings to try and make me reevaluate my "not a contender" analysis. And FYI, I have no problem with people using advanced metrics to prove their point I just have no clue who Bart Torvik even is.

He said they were ranked #1 overall, not in offense. I assumed you could read, my bad.

And I never said I cared about ratings, you were the one who pointed to the ratings to try and make me reevaluate my "not a contender" analysis. And FYI, I have no problem with people using advanced metrics to prove their point I just have no clue who Bart Torvik even is.

I said they were number one on O and D since Feb 3. And they were last Friday. Stats can change each day, you know.

Regardless of the exact rank, Texas Tech has been ELITE on both ends of the court for a month now. Needless to say, they are absolutely a title contender.

Ever since KU beat them bad in Allen, they have been on a mean streak.

They have good senior leadership along with Culver who is as good as anyone. I would not bet against them.

I said they were number one on O and D since Feb 3. And they were last Friday. Stats can change each day, you know.

Regardless of the exact rank, Texas Tech has been ELITE on both ends of the court for a month now. Needless to say, they are absolutely a title contender.
Okay. Well too bad you didn't post last Friday, then. The rest of your post is pure opinion that most here seem to not agree with.

Edit: wtf, he was talking about the Duke fan in this thread, not you. Or do you have multiple accounts?

UVA had a great KenPom defensive rating last year also.

I feel like everyone afraid of Tech being a 4 seed is crazy. They will be a 2/3 for sure.
KSU is more likely to be the 4 seed. They were Elite 8 last year as well with basically everyone back.

Okay. Well too bad you didn't post last Friday, then. The rest of your post is pure opinion that most here seem to not agree with.

Edit: wtf, he was talking about the Duke fan in this thread, not you. Or do you have multiple accounts?

Always funny when the person who pulls the reading comprehension card is actually struggling to read.

No. Final Four contender, sure depending on draw. But they will not get by Duke, UK, UNC, or Gonzaga in a tournament setting, and they would be fighting uphill for sure against MSU and Mich.

Very good team but assuming after the 2nd round they need to take down 4 straight top 20 opponents and likely three consecutive elite opponents in the from the Elite 8 through NCG I just don’t see that level of talent there to be that consistent against very strong teams.

No. Final Four contender, sure depending on draw. But they will not get by Duke, UK, UNC, or Gonzaga in a tournament setting, and they would be fighting uphill for sure against MSU and Mich.

Very good team but assuming after the 2nd round they need to take down 4 straight top 20 opponents and likely three consecutive elite opponents in the from the Elite 8 through NCG I just don’t see that level of talent there to be that consistent against very strong teams.
Why can't they get by those teams? I think Duke at full strength might be a little too much for them them to handle consider we're elite at defending the 3 point line.

UK struggles with guarding the perimeter and TTU has the defenders to make life difficult for UK's players. Tariq Owens is one of the 4-5 players that could contain PJ Washington and Jarrett Culver would likely shut down Keldon Johnson.

I think of the top teams, Duke and UVA would be tough for TTU with their perimeter defense but on a neutral floor, I would put the spread at UK -3 or Gonzaga -5 vs this TTU team...games they are capable of winning.

Why can't they get by those teams? I think Duke at full strength might be a little too much for them them to handle consider we're elite at defending the 3 point line.

UK struggles with guarding the perimeter and TTU has the defenders to make life difficult for UK's players. Tariq Owens is one of the 4-5 players that could contain PJ Washington and Jarrett Culver would likely shut down Keldon Johnson.

I think of the top teams, Duke and UVA would be tough for TTU with their perimeter defense but on a neutral floor, I would put the spread at UK -3 or Gonzaga -5 vs this TTU team...games they are capable of winning.

I think you'll find our defense is getting better and better. Keldon is tenacious both offensively and defensively. Good luck containing PJ. He's extremely good at finding open shooters when his shot is not available. I think we would handle TT. And with Travis, we're as physical as any team. UK is more than capable....

Capable of winning, sure, stranger things have happened. Winning 3 straight against high caliber teams is another story. Brackets can open up and TT May play double digit seeds all the way to the Final Four, you never know, but they go in the lottery ticket contenders, the real contenders to me are Duke, Gonzaga, UNC, and UK. Elite players, elite coaching, not likely to shrink in the spotlight IMO. TT, UT, UVA, until they prove it I’m not buying, Gonzaga proved it a few years ago and are back to do it again.

Reactions: bignish

He was talking about my post. Tech is still #1 overall since Feb 3. Just not #1 in both O and D.

He was talking about my post. Tech is still #1 overall since Feb 3. Just not #1 in both O and D.
Yeah, I didn't see your accurate post. Just the Duke dude's. I stand corrected. They are actually still #1 in both since Feb 3.

They are not #1 in both since Feb 1st which is what I checked. Which shows how mundane picking a random date in the middle season to prove a point is. It is easy to get hot for 5 games and make your stats look better when you don't include a 16 point loss from the night before your arbitrary time period. Using stats from the entire season tends to minimize the effect of such hot streaks. When you do that, their offense isn't even top 40. Which is why I, and many others, don't consider them to be major contenders for the title.

ADVERTISEMENT