ADVERTISEMENT

Is CBB Better When Duke is Good Enough to Hate?

I mean, technically getting mad about anything sports wise is loser behavior but I think he meant 'sports mad', which isn't the same.

There are more reasons for fans to be annoyed by a consistently winning program winning than from a more random team winning.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
What's likely to generate more hate? Alabama winning a title - or TCU? The same is true in basketball. People hate seeing the top dog win again. That's normal. If you get mad about a team finally breaking through, that's kind of weird.

And imagine talking smack to Kentucky fans if you did win it all. You think it's going to hurt their feelings much? They might respond and say something like, "Oh cool, so how many centuries before you win 8 national titles?"
It is hard to elicit a strong reaction from something you see over and over again. However, I think you are missing the angle of a Program that is generally strong in all aspects of College sports. Since Duke is pretty CBB or bust a program like UT is strong in most national sports most of the time.

So, to your point few would be upset if San Francisco Dons won the title, but the implications of a big Athletic powerhouse like UT winning would bring on more fear and anger.

I mean, technically getting mad about anything sports wise is loser behavior but I think he meant 'sports mad', which isn't the same.

There are more reasons for fans to be annoyed by a consistently winning program winning than from a more random team winning.
That might be referred to as fatigue, but fatigue generally doesn't bring on anger. It brings on boredom or lack of interest.

That might be referred to as fatigue, but fatigue generally doesn't bring on anger. It brings on boredom or lack of interest.

Well, for this particularly argument it brings on anger or dislike more than boredom or lack of interest. This isn't a complicated thing to understand. There is a reason why the big boys generally get the best ratings. People tune in to see them lose, not because there is 'lack of interest'.

Well, for this particularly argument it brings on anger or dislike more than boredom or lack of interest. This isn't a complicated thing to understand. There is a reason why the big boys generally get the best ratings. People tune in to see them lose, not because there is 'lack of interest'.
When the winning stops the interest drops until it falls of completely. I think Duke and UNC are suffering to a degree with that. This is exacerbated by the loss of Roy and K.

When the winning stops the interest drops until it falls of completely. I think Duke and UNC are suffering to a degree with that. This is exacerbated by the loss of Roy and K.

That isn't really what we are discussing here, though UNC was literally in the title game last year so not sure how much the winning has dropped in terms of performing when it matters.

Regardless, the comparison was UNC/Duke to a team like Tennessee. So everything I've said still stands.

It is hard to elicit a strong reaction from something you see over and over again. However, I think you are missing the angle of a Program that is generally strong in all aspects of College sports. Since Duke is pretty CBB or bust a program like UT is strong in most national sports most of the time.

So, to your point few would be upset if San Francisco Dons won the title, but the implications of a big Athletic powerhouse like UT winning would bring on more fear and anger.

This is a silly argument. Fans, generally speaking, view teams as separate entities. Alabama winning a title in basketball is not the same as winning one in football. Kentucky winning a title in football won't elicit the same reaction as it would if they won another one in basketball. Not too many people hating on Kansas or Duke football. Same isn't true for basketball, however.

And FWIW, Duke has appeared in the top 10 of the Directors' Cup (formerly Sears Cup) 7 times, while UT has only been in the top 10 twice.

When the winning stops? Don't hold your breath on that one just because Roy isn't at the helm. There's levels to winning and so far Tennessee hasn't come close to that and Barnes is a good coach but there's a reason why he hasn't coached a team deep into the tournament.

Band wagon fans jump teams. Fair weather only show up when THEIR team is doing well. It isn't really a 'in my eyes' type deal.

Looking at your preceding post here, you really think UK fans would be more upset if UT won it than if UNC won it? I have a hard time believing that as important as legacy and history is to them. But that is still narrowing your argument to one fanbase. You seem to keep narrowing things to fit what is simply a bad argument.

A bandwagoner isn’t necessarily someone who jumps teams.

A bandwagoner isn’t necessarily someone who jumps teams.

To me it is. Fair weather to me is someone who only pays attention when their team is winning. Bandwagon guy is someone who pulls for a team just because they are currently winning. Could be x this year and then someone else in a few years. Isn't there even a term called bandwagon jumper?

Regardless, not really important. We can use them interchangeably for this discussion and it doesn't change anything.

When the winning stops? Don't hold your breath on that one just because Roy isn't at the helm. There's levels to winning and so far Tennessee hasn't come close to that and Barnes is a good coach but there's a reason why he hasn't coached a team deep into the tournament.
Barnes & co. have beaten the last top 5 teams they have faced, so it isn't losing to good teams.

Barnes & co. have beaten the last top 5 teams they have faced, so it isn't losing to good teams.

I hear you but you gotta win in March. There's plenty of good coaches out there but the great ones win in March on a consistent basis.

This is a silly argument. Fans, generally speaking, view teams as separate entities. Alabama winning a title in basketball is not the same as winning one in football. Kentucky winning a title in football won't elicit the same reaction as it would if they won another one in basketball. Not too many people hating on Kansas or Duke football. Same isn't true for basketball, however.

And FWIW, Duke has appeared in the top 10 of the Directors' Cup (formerly Sears Cup) 7 times, while UT has only been in the top 10 twice.
I can't speak to the way things are in the ACC, but in the SEC we hate a rival team in anything. Frankly, I'm alarmed at bama's rise in CBB. I hate em.

That isn't really what we are discussing here, though UNC was literally in the title game last year so not sure how much the winning has dropped in terms of performing when it matters.

Regardless, the comparison was UNC/Duke to a team like Tennessee. So everything I've said still stands.
So does everything I have said.

That is not true. LST has a quote from me in his sig. Do you even know who LST is?

I think you understand the point.

AuHoosier’s had an acct here for a long time but did you know who he was before Auburn started having success in b-ball?

You were a pretty rare presence on this board until somewhat recently. At least compared to now.

Hell, I still see posts from regulars who don’t know your gender. 🤣

Last edited:
So does everything I have said.

You are just wrong on this. There really isn't any other way to reconcile it.

You want to focus on this board but when every single person on this board gives you legit reasons why your argument is wrong you ignore them. Be consistent.

How about the last top 5 seeded teams in the tournament? How far back would you have to go there? Winning in the regular season is fun. Heck, I love it. But what matters most is winning in March. Barnes just doesn't do that. Sucks but it is what it is.

I think you understand the point.

AuHoosier’s had an acct here for a long time but did you know who he was before Auburn started having success in b-ball?

You were a pretty rare presence on this board until somewhat recently. At least compared to now.

Hell, I still see posts from regulars who don’t know your gender. 🤣
AuHoosier is a noob compared to me and you are too for that matter. I do generally go with the seasonal nature of College sports. It's CBB season, so you're stuck with me for a while.

I don't go out of my way to make gender an issue. I kinda wish I had named myself "futvol" or something like it.

You are just wrong on this. There really isn't any other way to reconcile it.

You want to focus on this board but when every single person on this board gives you legit reasons why your argument is wrong you ignore them. Be consistent.
Mr Fly,
You have failed to make an argument that refutes anything I have said. Calling me wrong is not making an opposing case. So, we can agree to disagree or you can up your game.

How about the last top 5 seeded teams in the tournament? How far back would you have to go there? Winning in the regular season is fun. Heck, I love it. But what matters most is winning in March. Barnes just doesn't do that. Sucks but it is what it is.
Beating the last 5 top 5 teams in a row is a big accomplishment. It speaks to building a good team and playing at an elite level.

Mr Fly,
You have failed to make an argument that refutes anything I have said. Calling me wrong is not making an opposing case. So, we can agree to disagree or you can up your game.

Did you just ignore all of the other posts? Maybe so. Many of us have told you all of the very basic reasons why a blue blood winning is more upsetting to most than some other team that has never really won much. You just choose to ignore it because you probably know you are wrong.

Again, you base the entire premise of your argument on this board. We even accept this premise (which should narrow the focus to your favor) and then you still won't accept that every single person who comments disagrees with you. It isn't an emotional issue for us like it is you. You need to take that out of it.

Beating the last 5 top 5 teams in a row is a big accomplishment. It speaks to building a good team and playing at an elite level.

During the regular season, yes.

I bet Barnes hasn't beaten a top 5 seed five times in his career. Not a top 5 team....a top 5 seed period. IDK, maybe I'm wrong but I doubt it.

Did you just ignore all of the other posts? Maybe so. Many of us have told you all of the very basic reasons why a blue blood winning is more upsetting to most than some other team that has never really won much. You just choose to ignore it because you probably know you are wrong.

Again, you base the entire premise of your argument on this board. We even accept this premise (which should narrow the focus to your favor) and then you still won't accept that every single person who comments disagrees with you. It isn't an emotional issue for us like it is you. You need to take that out of it.
I think I have responded to the posts I have seen. You're not the only one engaging me. If I have missed one give me the post number and I'll address it.

I have based my opinion on the board you and I are familiar with. Do you concede me being correct on this board? If you do fine, but if you don't concede, stop moving the goalposts. You mention other boards, but you haven't suggested any other national boards. A herd of dumb asses doesn't make any particular dumb ass smarter does it? (I'm not calling anyone a dumb ass here)

Finally, my opinion isn't emotion based. It is what I perceive would go down. You have done nothing to change that opinion.

• Haha
Reactions: cdbearde
I think I have responded to the posts I have seen. You're not the only one engaging me. If I have missed one give me the post number and I'll address it.

I have based my opinion on the board you and I are familiar with. Do you concede me being correct on this board? If you do fine, but if you don't concede, stop moving the goalposts. You mention other boards, but you haven't suggested any other national boards. A herd of dumb asses doesn't make any particular dumb ass smarter does it? (I'm not calling anyone a dumb ass here)

Finally, my opinion isn't emotion based. It is what I perceive would go down. You have done nothing to change that opinion.

Since you are having a hard time seeing certain posts I condensed some of it for you. You altered the goalposts. The OP wasn't restricting his opinion to this board. You did that. The ones discussing it with you agreed for simplicity sake, which is fine. You are still wrong, but you tend to at times say somewhat outlandish things to get a reaction here.

-The blue bloods certainly get more hate than other schools. That isn't even debatable. Teams that win, and have won, are always hated (and loved) more than random teams who have a good run or good year.

-To be fair, the only reason people on this board would care about Tennessee (outside of UK fans) is because of the loud UT fans a few years ago who were so annoying. I have no issues with it as any influx that creates traffic is welcome, but that's the reason.

-Looking at your preceding post here, you really think UK fans would be more upset if UT won it than if UNC won it? I have a hard time believing that as important as legacy and history is to them. But that is still narrowing your argument to one fanbase. You seem to keep narrowing things to fit what is simply a bad argument.

-There are more reasons for fans to be annoyed by a consistently winning program winning than from a more random team winning.

-Well, for this particularly argument it brings on anger or dislike more than boredom or lack of interest. This isn't a complicated thing to understand. There is a reason why the big boys generally get the best ratings. People tune in to see them lose, not because there is 'lack of interest'.

I think most everyone here would agree with this. It isn't an overly complicated or controversial argument. I mean, I'm a UT fan and your points are so bad it has me disagreeing with another UT fan.

AuHoosier is a noob compared to me and you are too for that matter. I do generally go with the seasonal nature of College sports. It's CBB season, so you're stuck with me for a while.

I don't go out of my way to make gender an issue. I kinda wish I had named myself "futvol" or something like it.

Well, I’m surprised to ever see it. “Della” seems like a dead giveaway to me. But I’ve seen it a lot. 🤣

Are you denying that you post far more on the CBB board now than you did a few years ago?

Since you are having a hard time seeing certain posts I condensed some of it for you. You altered the goalposts. The OP wasn't restricting his opinion to this board. You did that. The ones discussing it with you agreed for simplicity sake, which is fine. You are still wrong, but you tend to at times say somewhat outlandish things to get a reaction here.

-The blue bloods certainly get more hate than other schools. That isn't even debatable. Teams that win, and have won, are always hated (and loved) more than random teams who have a good run or good year.

-To be fair, the only reason people on this board would care about Tennessee (outside of UK fans) is because of the loud UT fans a few years ago who were so annoying. I have no issues with it as any influx that creates traffic is welcome, but that's the reason.

-Looking at your preceding post here, you really think UK fans would be more upset if UT won it than if UNC won it? I have a hard time believing that as important as legacy and history is to them. But that is still narrowing your argument to one fanbase. You seem to keep narrowing things to fit what is simply a bad argument.

-There are more reasons for fans to be annoyed by a consistently winning program winning than from a more random team winning.

-Well, for this particularly argument it brings on anger or dislike more than boredom or lack of interest. This isn't a complicated thing to understand. There is a reason why the big boys generally get the best ratings. People tune in to see them lose, not because there is 'lack of interest'.

I think most everyone here would agree with this. It isn't an overly complicated or controversial argument. I mean, I'm a UT fan and your points are so bad it has me disagreeing with another UT fan.
1 I didn't try to change the OP's opinion. I chose to state my opinion. I have been open about relating it to this board. You saying it is wrong is not a counter argument.

2 BB's winning is not new and has no shock value as compared to a rival coming out of the blue winning it all.

3 Anyone that would get worked up about a few bandwagon fans from years ago is pretty pathetic.

4 yes

5 You not naming them makes seems senseless

6 There is a reason attendance wanes with losses. UL is a border line BB. I bet interest in them is down.

7 That is not a counter argument, that is just you be arrogant. Maybe, someone could shoot down my points, but you appear to have a blank gun.

Well, I’m surprised to ever see it. “Della” seems like a dead giveaway to me. But I’ve seen it a lot. 🤣

Are you denying that you post far more on the CBB board now than you did a few years ago?
I didn't think it out obviously, but I was young and stupid.

I think I have increased my posting here, but it is more in relation to the CFB They have had a purge which whacked a bunch of good posters and they make it difficult for new posters to join.

Hey, believe what you want. You are determined to simply ignore what everyone says to you so good for you. In your mind every other person who is involved here is wrong and you are right. That's one way to do it.

Hey, believe what you want. You are determined to simply ignore what everyone says to you so good for you. In your mind every other person who is involved here is wrong and you are right. That's one way to do it.
Mr Fly, Cory, if you'll allow me that liberty. You do not make a compelling argument by just saying someone is wrong. I have made that point several times, surely you understand that concept. I have addressed anything of substance with a counter that you generally ignore. Furthermore, you can only speak to your mind and it would be great if you brought more meat to the argument. Finally, you have been all over the board about Barnes, what you think others think, FF's and which particular board we are talking about like any of that shit makes a difference.

At the end of the day, it is a matter of opinion. You and I can pull for UT to win it all and gauge the hate against past BB wins.

Mr Fly, Cory, if you'll allow me that liberty. You do not make a compelling argument by just saying someone is wrong. I have made that point several times, surely you understand that concept. I have addressed anything of substance with a counter that you generally ignore. Furthermore, you can only speak to your mind and it would be great if you brought more meat to the argument. Finally, you have been all over the board about Barnes, what you think others think, FF's and which particular board we are talking about like any of that shit makes a difference.

At the end of the day, it is a matter of opinion. You and I can pull for UT to win it all and gauge the hate against past BB wins.

Tried to give you an out but you didn't take it. So here we go. I'll post what I said, then what you said, and my response.

1. Since you are having a hard time seeing certain posts I condensed some of it for you. You altered the goalposts. The OP wasn't restricting his opinion to this board. You did that. The ones discussing it with you agreed for simplicity sake, which is fine. You are still wrong, but you tend to at times say somewhat outlandish things to get a reaction here.

I didn't try to change the OP's opinion. I chose to state my opinion. I have been open about relating it to this board. You saying it is wrong is not a counter argument.

Any response in someone's thread is assumed to be about that topic. You can be a tad tangential if you want but it still falls within the premise the OP provided. Regardless, we all agreed to go by your very narrow parameters to make you happy. Several people then stated reasonably why you were wrong and you still continued to go on and on either ignoring their reasons are trying to tell them they were wrong. Be wrong, just don't do it expressly at the expense of others.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

2. The blue bloods certainly get more hate than other schools. That isn't even debatable. Teams that win, and have won, are always hated (and loved) more than random teams who have a good run or good year.

BB's winning is not new and has no shock value as compared to a rival coming out of the blue winning it all.

The discussion was never about shock value. Are you moving those goalposts again? It is about what people would prefer and/or not prefer. Why don't you just ask UK fans here? That would be the easiest way to settle it. The results, IMO, will tell you they would prefer Tennessee win one title than UNC creep even closer to them in that regard. See what I mean? Many UK fans look at UNC or Duke as more of a rival than UT will ever be. They don't see Tennessee as really on the same level.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

3. To be fair, the only reason people on this board would care about Tennessee (outside of UK fans) is because of the loud UT fans a few years ago who were so annoying. I have no issues with it as any influx that creates traffic is welcome, but that's the reason.

Anyone that would get worked up about a few bandwagon fans from years ago is pretty pathetic.

Sure, but we are dealing with fans (short for fanatic) here. They tend to be unreasonable. I mean, just look at all you are posting here in this thread. Plus, the fact that it takes something stupid to make people care about Tennessee kind of helps my point.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

4. Looking at your preceding post here, you really think UK fans would be more upset if UT won it than if UNC won it? I have a hard time believing that as important as legacy and history is to them. But that is still narrowing your argument to one fanbase. You seem to keep narrowing things to fit what is simply a bad argument.

yes

Ask them? Hey UK fans, would you prefer UT win their first title or UNC win their seventh title? I think that's right. UNC has won six, right? Anyway, maybe I'm wrong here.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

5. There are more reasons for fans to be annoyed by a consistently winning program winning than from a more random team winning.

You not naming them makes seems senseless

Not naming what? The reasons? Not sure what you are trying to say here. They have been named. But we can name a few again, and I'll keep it narrow since you want to focus on Kentucky fans.
-Blue bloods are competing with other blue bloods. UNC is competing with Kentucky for all time greatness. That is more of a threat than any sort of whatever Tennessee poses to them on a very temporary scale.
-Recruiting. There is always crossover but in general UK will be competing with other blue bloods for guys more than with Tennessee. Again, before you get worked up about this I'm not saying there is no crossover recruiting wise but as a rule UNC and UK are competing more than UT and UK.
-In America who do fans hate the most? It isn't complicated. They hate winners. The Cowboys and Patriots, Lakers and Celtics, Red Sox and Yankees, Alabama and OSU in football, and in college sports those are the blue bloods. Those are the teams fans want to see lose the most.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

6. Well, for this particularly argument it brings on anger or dislike more than boredom or lack of interest. This isn't a complicated thing to understand. There is a reason why the big boys generally get the best ratings. People tune in to see them lose, not because there is 'lack of interest'.

There is a reason attendance wanes with losses. UL is a border line BB. I bet interest in them is down.

They aren't a blue blood though. The argument isn't about Louisville versus Tennessee. It's about a blue blood versus a team like Tennessee. People don't generally tune in to see Louisville lose. They do tune in to see the blue bloods lose. Surely even you can conceded this.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

That is not a counter argument, that is just you be arrogant. Maybe, someone could shoot down my points, but you appear to have a blank gun.

It wasn't supposed to be a counter argument. It was just a conclusion.

Tried to give you an out but you didn't take it. So here we go. I'll post what I said, then what you said, and my response.

1. Since you are having a hard time seeing certain posts I condensed some of it for you. You altered the goalposts. The OP wasn't restricting his opinion to this board. You did that. The ones discussing it with you agreed for simplicity sake, which is fine. You are still wrong, but you tend to at times say somewhat outlandish things to get a reaction here.

I didn't try to change the OP's opinion. I chose to state my opinion. I have been open about relating it to this board. You saying it is wrong is not a counter argument.

Any response in someone's thread is assumed to be about that topic. You can be a tad tangential if you want but it still falls within the premise the OP provided. Regardless, we all agreed to go by your very narrow parameters to make you happy. Several people then stated reasonably why you were wrong and you still continued to go on and on either ignoring their reasons are trying to tell them they were wrong. Be wrong, just don't do it expressly at the expense of others.

Ok, but this isn't going to go like you hope.

I didn't initiate Tennessee into the discussion. Dukedevilz did. So, I was responding to a point made by a poster and that seems pretty common practice doesn't it? The story lines of threads can take a winding road as was exampled by you bouncing around from Barnes, FF's, other people's opinions which have nothing to do with anything. If you're going to call someone out for something in a thread is is pretty damn stupid if you did exactly what your calling foul on someone else. Furthermore, you didn't agree to "go by my narrow parameters" in the fact I couldn't nail you down to this board.

Since I didn't initiate UT into the conversation this makes your statement beyond ridiculous. If you want to have a conversation try to be less arrogant and condescending.

That was just point #1. You want to respond to that first?

Last edited:
Just my opinion, wouldn't be upset if the Vols win the Tourney next season- honestly not upset if any Bluebloods win it all either...

Reactions: della
Just my opinion, wouldn't be upset if the Vols win the Tourney next season- honestly not upset if any Bluebloods win it all either...
I'm sweet on Maryland and you too. 🙂

Ok, but this isn't going to go like you hope.

I didn't initiate Tennessee into the discussion. Dukedevilz did. So, I was responding to a point made by a poster and that seems pretty common practice doesn't it? The story lines of threads can take a winding road as was exampled by you bouncing around from Barnes, FF's, other people's opinions which have nothing to do with anything. If you're going to call someone out for something in a thread is is pretty damn stupid if you did exactly what your calling foul on someone else.

Since I didn't initiate UT into the conversation this makes your statement beyond ridiculous. If you want to have a conversation try to be less arrogant and condescending.

That was just point #1. You want to respond to that first?

That is why I said threads can get tangential. Dukie brought in four or five teams as a discussion point. He wasn't singling out Tennessee. You then made it specifically about Tennessee. And even then, we all agreed to narrow the focus so you could make your argument. But even with those parameters every person who has replied except for you has agreed. People have presented reasons. So either everyone else is wrong or you are. Which one would be the arrogant one in that case? You added plenty of snarkiness and condescending pettiness so you can't act all innocent here.

That is why I said threads can get tangential. Dukie brought in four or five teams as a discussion point. He wasn't singling out Tennessee. You then made it specifically about Tennessee. And even then, we all agreed to narrow the focus so you could make your argument. But even with those parameters every person who has replied except for you has agreed. People have presented reasons. So either everyone else is wrong or you are. Which one would be the arrogant one in that case? You added plenty of snarkiness and condescending pettiness so you can't act all innocent here.
He brought up Tennessee and Tennessee interest me. It is OK for me to talk about UT when it is brought up and to imply differently is silly. You chose to jump both feet into the Tennessee conversation which is fine, but don't pat yourself on the back about it. Again, three fans do not make law and especially three BB fans against a lone non BB. Wasn't the vote along party lines?
Again, you saying I'm wrong is not telling what is wrong with the argument. It is just you disagreeing.

I did throw out the "agree to disagree or you up your game" comment, but I felt you were due at that point. I don't deny that. However, your inability to make a viable point and dismissing mine with no counter other than "You're wrong" deserved a little like fire.

He brought up Tennessee and Tennessee interest me. It is OK for me to talk about UT when it is brought up and to imply differently is silly. You chose to jump both feet into the Tennessee conversation which is fine, but don't pat yourself on the back about it. Again, three fans do not make law and especially three BB fans against a lone non BB. Wasn't the vote along party lines?
Again, you saying I'm wrong is not telling what is wrong with the argument. It is just you disagreeing.

I did throw out the "agree to disagree or you up your game" comment, but I felt you were due at that point. I don't deny that. However, your inability to make a viable point and dismissing mine with no counter other than "You're wrong" deserved a little like fire.

I didn't pat myself on the back. I don't even know what that means.

I've told you all the reasons your points were off. All viable points. All would probably be agreed upon by everyone except you. I respect that. Stand your ground. However, I don't dismiss your points simply because I disagree with them though. That would be silly. I don't dismiss them at all. I stated why I, and everyone else apparently, thought they were a little off base. But at some point when discussing basketball stuff with basketball people maybe realize when all of those people disagree with you they could be right.

I didn't pat myself on the back. I don't even know what that means.

I've told you all the reasons your points were off. All viable points. All would probably be agreed upon by everyone except you. I respect that. Stand your ground. However, I don't dismiss your points simply because I disagree with them though. That would be silly. I don't dismiss them at all. I stated why I, and everyone else apparently, thought they were a little off base. But at some point when discussing basketball stuff with basketball people maybe realize when all of those people disagree with you they could be right.
Again 3 people of a specific type vs one of a different type does not strengthen your position. . Suppose you asked a group of Duke fans which is better Duke or UNC, you would find a different consensus depending on the group you asked.

ADVERTISEMENT