ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana/Kentucky: Its time to get this game back...

I am an old man and I don't recall Kentucky fans rushing the court. I may be wrong but I doubt that it ever happened in my life.

Kentucky has class.
Thanks to Oscar Combs' memory and some heavy digging by @KaptialCat in the wayback machine, we now know that Kentucky fans rushed the court following a Senior Day win over Tennessee in 1973

more like everyone is 75+, who has the good seats, capable of rushing the court...all the young folk are at the top....If UK fans rushed the court, nursing homes would over run wit patients. Gov. Bashear would have to declare a state of emergency.... 🤣 🤣
Student seating at Rupp is right behind the basket, just like it is anywhere else. Same place everyone is coming from in this video, for example.

• Love
Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Student seating at Rupp is right behind the basket, just like it is anywhere else. Same place everyone is coming from in this video, for example.
IU has one of the largest, if not largest student sections in cbb---over 7,000. Those sections are spread throughout AH----not just one area, i.e. behind the basket at Rupp. And btw, Dukes students are 99% on the sidelines. Also UK'sstudent section is what-----like maybe 500? they dont give to many tix for students there.

Yes majority of fans are coming from behind baskets----IU students occupy most of that, minus the band....some though are coming from other designated areas as well.

Just not sure why this hurts some uk fans feelings.....Its not it hasnt happened before----or to other schools. Just a part of the culture today..

IU has one of the largest, if not largest student sections in cbb---over 7,000. Those sections are spread throughout AH----not just one area, i.e. behind the basket at Rupp. And btw, Dukes students are 99% on the sidelines. Also UK'sstudent section is what-----like maybe 500? they dont give to many tix for students there.

Yes majority of fans are coming from behind baskets----IU students occupy most of that, minus the band....some though are coming from other designated areas as well.

Just not sure why this hurts some uk fans feelings.....Its not it hasnt happened before----or to other schools. Just a part of the culture today..
Hurts our feelings? Why would it hurt our feelings? Nobody anywhere cares where IU students sit. C’mon son.

Most have never been to a game so it makes sense why they get upset.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
After reading the above posts, I must set a few things straight. I don't recall the 1973 court storming at Lexington. Maybe 40 or 50 including the players, but why would UK fans erupt after beating a team that they dominate? Plus 1973 Kentucky won the SEC so why rush the court? 1973 Kentucky was still playing in Memorial Coliseum, but there still were not many students. Hell 1973 Oscar Combs has not even dreamed up "the CatsPause" until 1977-78.

On the small student section: Kentucky cannot afford a large student section as they can sell those tickets for a lot of money. Most schools like Indiana and Duke can't charge a fortune for season tickets like UK does. Plus at UK if you get season tickets you still have to pay the UKAA good money to be assured a good location. My daughter graduated Kentucky in 1994. She had to pay for her student ticket. You go stand in line and pay for them, if I recall they were $5.00 a game. That was 28 years ago so I don't know what they are now.

Things are changing rapidly at Kentucky. Rupp has been downsized as all the games are telecast and the pressure for tickets is lower; however, good tickets in the lower section are still hard to get. The last good seats that I enjoyed at Rupp were when I went to the game with the Speaker of the House and used his tickets. So today Kentucky is not going to fill Rupp with 24,000 and the capacity of the building is now down to 20,500. It may even be lower for 2022-23 season. Plus Kentucky plays very few good non-conference games at Rupp which pushes down demand. Coach Cal wants to play the big non-conference games in Chicago, New York etc. So the season ticket owners are left with the garbage games. Sorry but that is the fact.

After reading the above posts, I must set a few things straight. I don't recall the 1973 court storming at Lexington. Maybe 40 or 50 including the players, but why would UK fans erupt after beating a team that they dominate? Plus 1973 Kentucky won the SEC so why rush the court? 1973 Kentucky was still playing in Memorial Coliseum, but there still were not many students. Hell 1973 Oscar Combs has not even dreamed up "the CatsPause" until 1977-78.

On the small student section: Kentucky cannot afford a large student section as they can sell those tickets for a lot of money. Most schools like Indiana and Duke can't charge a fortune for season tickets like UK does. Plus at UK if you get season tickets you still have to pay the UKAA good money to be assured a good location. My daughter graduated Kentucky in 1994. She had to pay for her student ticket. You go stand in line and pay for them, if I recall they were $5.00 a game. That was 28 years ago so I don't know what they are now.

Things are changing rapidly at Kentucky. Rupp has been downsized as all the games are telecast and the pressure for tickets is lower; however, good tickets in the lower section are still hard to get. The last good seats that I enjoyed at Rupp were when I went to the game with the Speaker of the House and used his tickets. So today Kentucky is not going to fill Rupp with 24,000 and the capacity of the building is now down to 20,500. It may even be lower for 2022-23 season. Plus Kentucky plays very few good non-conference games at Rupp which pushes down demand. Coach Cal wants to play the big non-conference games in Chicago, New York etc. So the season ticket owners are left with the garbage games. Sorry but that is the fact.
Don't shoot the messenger, bubba-----Just reporting what your own school said; and validated by many fans who were there.

• Sad
I doubt it.
Doubt what?

This from a student wh was there...

The storming of the court in 1973 had way more to do with acid .. Way less to do with the game. I took part in this and had no clue a basketball game was going on.

Ptretty funny actually.... 🤣

Would you like for me to post the link? It was a story written via KSR. Now who knows---maybe your own is fibbing---I dunno. Or maybe they were all similar to the above referenced student, and high as ****.....

Its ok to sometimes not know, or be wrong. Part of being a human.;). But i get it---for some its hard to see UK in any other light than that of glory......😁

• Haha
Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Doubt what?

This from a student wh was there...

The storming of the court in 1973 had way more to do with acid .. Way less to do with the game. I took part in this and had no clue a basketball game was going on.

Ptretty funny actually.... 🤣

Would you like for me to post the link? It was a story written via KSR. Now who knows---maybe your own is fibbing---I dunno. Or maybe they were all similar to the above referenced student, and high as ****.....

Its ok to sometimes not know, or be wrong. Part of being a human.;). But i get it---for some its hard to see UK in any other light than that of glory......😁
Bull shit.

Okay. You need some more shit: I was there and it did not happen.

Now we are 1 to 1. Plus 1973 was before video tape was available and the local stations did not keep such expensive stuff as a big fat tape that cost about $50.

Where you there? If so I will find a UK fan to say he was there and it did not happen. Find me some video tape and I will say UNCLE.

It is like the tree that falls in the forest. If someone was not there did it happen?

Of course it happened.... but did it make a sound? 😁
I remember how loud the dinosaurs used to be. They used to keep me awake at night!

So I heard the trees fall.

I kept a record of them some where in a book but the book rotted. Now I can't prove crap! I sure wish that RCA (an Indiana company) had made VCR about 65 million years earlier and I could have recorded it. (Oh my, I just remembered that VCR's only last 20 years). So I am back to home base.

Bull shit.

Okay. You need some more shit: I was there and it did not happen.
So now you were, there? Seems as if you could have led with, no? Also, this isnt what I SAID-----it was an article written by a UK fan, reported by KSR. Multiple fans confirmed this.....The game decided the SEC title----one fan reported there were at least 14,000 fans packed inside......that some of them camped out all night, to get there spot----threw oranges at UT, etc, etc....

But of course you know this----afterall, you were there. ;) .

Like I said, Bert---not my story....not some outsiders story... Not a TN fans story. This came from a writer for KSR.....who interviewed fans wh attended. And fans who were there, commented on this as well----including one of the officials who worked the game.

So if you have an issue, then call into KSR and complain to them----not me.

Don't shoot the messenger, bubba-----Just reporting what your own school said; and validated by many fans who were there.
It's remarkable to me that someone as seasoned as Bert can't show a shred of modesty. I mostly like the guy, reminds of my dad, (except for the lack being modest). He is so easily bruised by anything non UK love fest.

Who is this "Coach Calapari" they reference several times? It was spelled correctly the first time, then incorrectly the next three, lol. What kind of amateur program are you running when you can't even spell names correctly in formal correspondence within athletic departments? 😂 😂 😂

Yes, thats exactly it! IU ain't shit without UK. Please play us. We are about to drop BB if we can't play the all mighty UK. Long live the all great UK...jfc
giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT