ADVERTISEMENT

in state rankings of most popular NC college teams

WeAreDePaul

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2017
Interested to hear from locals how they rank the college b ball teams in NC based on popularity.

Are the 4 ACC teams at the top or is there a smaller school that squeezes it's way into the middle of that group?

As an outside observer I would have it:

UNC
Duke
NC State
Wake

Interested to hear from locals how they rank the college b ball teams in NC based on popularity.

Are the 4 ACC teams at the top or is there a smaller school that squeezes it's way into the middle of that group?

UNC
Duke
NC State
Wake

I will say UNC- Greensboro.

NC State's run last year is a fluke and we won't hear from them for a while
Wake has a good coach but they haven't done anything since the 2000's.

I will say UNC- Greensboro.

NC State's run last year is a fluke and we won't hear from them for a while
Wake has a good coach but they haven't done anything since the 2000's.
so what's your ranking? Feel free to take it as deep as you want in terms of number of D1 schools you put on the list.

UNC
Duke
NC State
Wake
I haven’t lived in NC in 18 years, but that’s how I would have ranked the overall popularity / size of their fanbase, when I left.

so what's your ranking? Feel free to take it as deep as you want in terms of number of D1 schools you put on the list.

UNC and Duke top 2 followed by NC State

UNC-G because of the recent overall success followed by Wake.

All of the schools below have made the tournament in recent years in no specific order:

Gardner Webb
High Point
UNC Asheville
Appalachian St.
West Carolina
UNC Wilimington
North Carolina A&T
North Carolina Central

I think it’s a pretty clear-cut

1. Duke
2. Rutgers

The other fanbases are pretty small. A smattering of Notre Dame, but that’s largely football.

I'd say it looks something like this:

UNC
Duke
NC State
Wake Forest
East Carolina, Charlotte, Davidson, App State
UNC Greensboro
Elon, UNC Wilmington, WCU, NC A&T, NC Central
Campbell, Gardner Webb, High Point, UMC Asheville

The gap between NC State and Wake is substantial, IMO. I'd say the likes of ECU and Davidson might be closer to Wake than Wake is to NC State

For basketball? Yes. Not to the same extent as UNC, but there's a bigger contingency than NC State, at least.

Football, on the other hand, is behind both NC State and Wake Forest in terms of popularity, IMO.

In football I'll take it further with Appalachian St. and East Carolina. I've seen both play in their home stadiums and they blow UNC out of the water. Tailgating and fan excitement alone they are way above UNC.

Last edited:
In football I'll take it further with Appalachian St. and East Carolina. I've seen both play in their home stadiums and they blow UNC out of the water. Tailgating and fan excitement alone they are way above UNC.

I think that's fair. App State and ECU have fanatical fanbases in football.

ADVERTISEMENT