• About average intelligence.

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • A bit above average intelligence.

Votes: 24 40.0%
  • Way above average intelligence.

Votes: 29 48.3%

• Total voters
Tripped and fell on a hamster
I'm smart enough to know that excuse didn't work for Richard Gere either.

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: toonces11
the school system i attended had people come in and tested us in the 6th grade and the 12th grade
i did pretty good

i never went a day to college, i had plans and school was not in the mix
in a way i wish i had experienced college life, but you never know what direction my life may have went

nothing wrong with a simple life, i highly recommend it

I took one in college for extra credit. It was kind of cool.

A story is definitely deserved here. What kind of accident?
I have talked about it here before. I was in a car accident and fractured my skull above my left ear. Lost enough blood where they said that I was a low percentage survival. Apparently my head broke the window. Also, the seatbelt destroyed my left arm. Fractured my collarbone and almost severed the nerve that controls the movement of my arm.

I have absolutely no memory of the day of the accident and the following weeks. I woke up in unc of all places to a bunch of strangers who were happy to see me. I owe gratitude to anyone who donates blood. It was something that was very hard to wrap my head around, having someone else's blood in me, but I am thankful.

At the end of the day, it was a blessing in disguise. I have been drinking tonight, so I feel like I am rambling. Maybe I will continue tomorrow.

I have absolutely no memory of the day of the accident and the following weeks. I woke up in unc of all places to a bunch of strangers who were happy to see me. I owe gratitude to anyone who donates blood. It was something that was very hard to wrap my head around, having someone else's blood in me, but I am thankful.

It sounds like you tried. :p Too soon?

Seriously, my head hit the windshield when I was nine. I just (compared to you), got glass in my right eye and it cut it, so I have glasses and ocular migraines. Your story puts mine in to perspective.

Also, my wife and I have been donating blood every chance since 2002. We're on the mailing list.

Reactions: SNU0821
How do you get to all those games if you aren't driving?
I drive some. Or my wife. Most of the time, I meet with another official. But mostly my wife. For basketball, I sometimes have to fly. I'll then take a cab to the arena, or ride with one of my partners.

I wouldn't ref if you paid me. You are hated by one side or the other no matter what----and sometimes both.
Meh. It's not that bad really. And TBH, after you've done it long enough, you get to where you Don t even hear the crowd.
Now when I work HS, or AAU/Travel ball?
Seesh. Like today, I'm working a 14U baseball tourney here at home. Those can get crazy. But I have enough experience.
It's certainly a profession you have to love. And I do love it.

Reactions: SNU0821
I have talked about it here before. I was in a car accident and fractured my skull above my left ear. Lost enough blood where they said that I was a low percentage survival. Apparently my head broke the window. Also, the seatbelt destroyed my left arm. Fractured my collarbone and almost severed the nerve that controls the movement of my arm.

At the end of the day, it was a blessing in disguise. I have been drinking tonight, so I feel like I am rambling. Maybe I will continue tomorrow.
People don’t realize how ****ing hard windows are either. Take a bat to one....you can take full cuts and it won’t break

Woah.....Our accidents are, well, eerily similar. Fractured almost every bone in my face. Seatbelt snapped my collar bone in two. Lost a ton of blood; not life threatening though. Amazing the damage a seatbelt can do.

Well, shit.... you guys are inspiring me to cease texting at the wheel.

I'm Jewish. I'm definitely not referring to my penis
oooh, a Jewish psychologist? you come from a long line.....

and is it true what they say about people who study psychology in order to figure out what is wrong with them? lol.

and is it also true that Jews and Irish are the only people that can't be psychoanalyzed? good for me since I'm like half Irish and 1/32nd Russian Jew, lol.

oooh, a Jewish psychologist? you come from a long line.....

and is it true what they say about people who study psychology in order to figure out what is wrong with them? lol.

and is it also true that Jews and Irish are the only people that can't be psychoanalyzed? good for me since I'm like half Irish and 1/32nd Russian Jew, lol.

There are a lot of psychologists who practice "me-research" - research things in which they need help. For example, I am a relationships researcher. Pure me-search.

I don't know about your second question but, I am Jewish, and you definitely can't psychoanalyze me.

There are a lot of psychologists who practice "me-research" - research things in which they need help. For example, I am a relationships researcher. Pure me-search.

I don't know about your second question but, I am Jewish, and you definitely can't psychoanalyze me.
well yeah, because Jews and Irish are always bs'ing everybody else.....such good liars.....I know because I am these things, haha. can't psychoanalyze people whose minds are so shifty, haha.

Reactions: jhmossy
So here is the thing.

Does this forum just happen to attract an incredibly smart group of people for some unidentified reason? Like... I don’t know, lots of college graduates because it is a college sports forum?

Or do humans beings just have unrealistic impressions of their own intelligence?

So here is the thing.

Does this forum just happen to attract an incredibly smart group of people for some unidentified reason? Like... I don’t know, lots of college graduates because it is a college sports forum?

Or do humans beings just have unrealistic impressions of their own intelligence?

A little of column A..a little of column B?

Reactions: Dattier
It really depends on what type of "smart" you're talking about? If its book smarts, or what you'd expect someone to learn in school....well, I'm a idiot. I have severe dyslexia, and in the 80's and early 90's there was support system in schools for kids like me. So, I was just the "dumb" kid because I was always struggling. After awhile, when I figured out that no matter how hard I tried, I was still going to get bad grades.....so I stopped trying and just accepted my role as the stupid kid.

However, once I was able to be old enough where my common sense could take over 5 years later, I excelled in college. Suddenly instead of getting F's in high school before I dropped out of school....I now was having a 4.0 GPA in college. I also was able to get my GED in 4 days of studying when it usually takes most people 3 to 6 months of studying.

So, common things most 16 year olds should know, like basic grammar, I'm horribly bad. However, things where common sense is the most important....I excel at.

I have severe dyslexia, and in the 80's and early 90's there was support system in schools for kids like me. So, I was just the "dumb" kid because I was always struggling and just accepted my role as the stupid kid.
I'm very sorry to hear this. My little girl has mild dyslexia, and I've seen her frustration. She has improved greatly with the help of extracurricular tutoring with skilled people. It's such a shame that you felt that way when you were a child, with no real outlet to prove otherwise. Glad to see you've pushed through, and hopefully it didn't affect your confidence.

You're more than what you were left to believe.

It really depends on what type of "smart" you're talking about? If its book smarts, or what you'd expect someone to learn in school....well, I'm a idiot. I have severe dyslexia, and in the 80's and early 90's there was support system in schools for kids like me. So, I was just the "dumb" kid because I was always struggling. After awhile, when I figured out that no matter how hard I tried, I was still going to get bad grades.....so I stopped trying and just accepted my role as the stupid kid.

However, once I was able to be old enough where my common sense could take over 5 years later, I excelled in college. Suddenly instead of getting F's in high school before I dropped out of school....I now was having a 4.0 GPA in college. I also was able to get my GED in 4 days of studying when it usually takes most people 3 to 6 months of studying.

So, common things most 16 year olds should know, like basic grammar, I'm horribly bad. However, things where common sense is the most important....I excel at.

I don’t think being smart is impacted by something like dyslexia. I mean, it might get in the way of things, but it doesn’t make you less smart.

So here is the thing.

Do some posters have an elevated sense of their own intelligence? Probably.
But I think it's perfectly reasonable to believe that this group, on average, is at least a little above societal standards for intelligence.

First, it's directly related to college athletics; college graduates are more likely to be interested in supporting their Alma mater, or favorite university. And most of us are working, paying bills, supporting our wives and children. I feel like our group here has a better grasp and perspective on life - and dealing with all of the daily struggles of everyday living.

Also, we should consider that active participants on this board do a fair amount of reading and writing. If reading and writing seem like a chore, you obviously aren't going to frequent a message board. Being an active board member means being called out - daily. You have to be able to defend your positions. If you can't do this reasonably well, you'll be ridiculed mercilessly to the point where you probably won't return. I like to think that we naturally weed out the idiots.

Reactions: Dattier and jhmossy

I don’t think being smart is impacted by something like dyslexia. I mean, it might get in the way of things, but it doesn’t make you less smart.

I don't think dyslexia in general makes a person "less smart". But for me, since I never got the help needed to teach me HOW to learn with it...my grades through 8th grade were barely good enough to let me pass. By the time high school got here, in my mind, if I was going to fail anyways....why try? So from there on out, I didn't try and didn't care.

It got too the point where I didn't learn a single thing for years in school. So, when it comes to a lot of basic things that you expect people to have learned in school....I struggle with them. Which on the surface, will make someone who doesn't know the whole story....question my intelligence.

I don't think dyslexia in general makes a person "less smart". But for me, since I never got the help needed to teach me HOW to learn with it...my grades through 8th grade were barely good enough to let me pass. By the time high school got here, in my mind, if I was going to fail anyways....why try? So from there on out, I didn't try and didn't care.

It got too the point where I didn't learn a single thing for years in school. So, when it comes to a lot of basic things that you expect people to have learned in school....I struggle with them. Which on the surface, will make someone who doesn't know the whole story....question my intelligence.

Of course, I get it, and on a surface level sure, that might cause judgement... but it wouldn't really impact your actual intelligence.

BTW, you'd never know, just looking at what you posted, in terms of grammar and all of that. I would bet you busted your ass for that.

Reactions: jace46555
I have severe dyslexia, and in the 80's and early 90's there was support system in schools for kids like me. So, I was just the "dumb" kid because I was always struggling and just accepted my role as the stupid kid.
I'm very sorry to hear this. My little girl has mild dyslexia, and I've seen her frustration. She has improved greatly with the help of extracurricular tutoring with skilled people. It's such a shame that you felt that way when you were a child, with no real outlet to prove otherwise. Glad to see you've pushed through, and hopefully it didn't affect your confidence.

You're more than what you were left to believe.

I sincerely appreciate you saying this! Honestly, it never bothered me much in school because I was blessed with a ridiculously inflated confidence when it came to sports and self confidence. Not sure if it was just my subconscious dealing with it, but I look back at the old me and just shake my head lol.

I honestly thought that I was really really good at any sport I would try. I was never outwardly arrogant about it, but I did think it. But make no mistake, I was horrible in every sport besides golf. I was good in certain things like shooting in basketball, but horrible in everything else. When I didn't play much I always thought it was because the coach like me, or because I went to a rich private school and we were the poor family. I would have never guessed it was because I sucked lol.

Reactions: KYtotheCore
I sincerely appreciate you saying this! Honestly, it never bothered me much in school because I was blessed with a ridiculously inflated confidence when it came to sports and self confidence. Not sure if it was just my subconscious dealing with it, but I look back at the old me and just shake my head lol.

I honestly thought that I was really really good at any sport I would try. I was never outwardly arrogant about it, but I did think it. But make no mistake, I was horrible in every sport besides golf. I was good in certain things like shooting in basketball, but horrible in everything else. When I didn't play much I always thought it was because the coach like me, or because I went to a rich private school and we were the poor family. I would have never guessed it was because I sucked lol.
A little delusion never hurt anyone. :D

Of course, I get it, and on a surface level sure, that might cause judgement... but it wouldn't really impact your actual intelligence.

BTW, you'd never know, just looking at what you posted, in terms of grammar and all of that. I would bet you busted your ass for that.

Oh trust me, any amount of work I've had to do after school to try to get caught up pails to the amount of time I spent having fun and slacking off in high school. I figured if if I was going to be the stupid kid....I might as well also be the funniest mf'er around lol.

Believe it or not though, the thing that has helped me the most are these types of forums and the grammar police. Its annoying when they say something, but its helps to let me know that I was even doing something wrong so I can try to fix it now.

I really appreciate you taking the time to say something like this, it means a lot!

Reactions: TheDude1

A little delusion never hurt anyone. :D

Lol oh I had massive amounts of it lol. Before my dad passed away a few years back, I asked him why he never pulled me aside and let me know in a gentle way that I just sucked. I still laugh at his response and I still remember it word for word. He said....

Dad: Jason, do you really want to know why?

Me: Of course I do, it wont bother me (fully expecting him to give me a parent type of answer like saying that he always thought I was good)

Dad: Well, truth is, we never told you because watching you get so mad over not playing was ****ing funny! Me and your mom used to makes bet about how long it would take you before you started to get mad about not being put in.

I miss that guy lol!

Most poasters on this website strike me as smarter than average, but a few are dumber than a box of rocks.

Have never read this before @LetsGoDuke301. My cousin had a very similar injury while mountain biking. Also has no memory. And now a commercial airline pilot.

ADVERTISEMENT