ADVERTISEMENT

Horror Movies for Halloween

Finding new/old stuff is one thing I like about these threads.

I've never heard or watched Midsommar and after looking it up, I'm going to check it out. Just the little bit of the trailer I think of the original Wickerman.

Another older movie I liked a lot and thought was underrated was a 80's Australian movie called Fortress.

The original Wicker Man is a candidate for GOAT horror film.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I'm a big horror nerd. There are some really good foreign horror films that aren't extremely well known. Here are a few random films that may not be as well known.

R-Point (South Korean war horror)

The Ritual (different take on lost in the woods horror)

Never Let Me Go (more dystopian sci fi but pretty good if you don't need action)

The Wailing (kick ass Asian horror movie)

Audition (more torture type revenge horror. I don't like torture films. They suck and are cheap thrills but this one is good)

Let the Right One In (not the crappy remake.. Probably a top 5 all time horror flick here)

Population 436

Session 9 (great haunted asylum film)

The Burrowers (western horror)

Trick R Treat (classic Halloween horror),

Below (submarine horror)

Deathwatch (British war horror)

Pontypool (another of my all time favorites. Very unique)

Isolation (weird rural horror)

Phase 7 (kind of a comedy but solid)

Altered (decent alien abduction)

The Bay (pretty cool movie about water parasites)

The Frankenstein Theory (weird found footage film...watched it after seeing Trollhunter. Trollhunter was much better but isn't really horror)

Europa Report (sci fi horror)

Apollo 18 (sci fi horror and a really good one)

I'm Not Scared (a slow burn but good one)

Oldboy (original) (Just a great movie. Probably not technically horror but worth watching)

It Comes At Night (sort of a pandemic movie)

Train to Busan (really fun Asian zombie movie. It's no 28 Days Later but is pretty good).

I'm a big horror nerd. There are some really good foreign horror films that aren't extremely well known. Here are a few random films that may not be as well known.

Never Let Me Go (more dystopian sci fi but pretty good if you don't need action)

Audition (more torture type revenge horror. I don't like torture films. They suck and are cheap thrills but this one is good)

Let the Right One In (not the crappy remake.. Probably a top 5 all time horror flick here)

Population 436

Below (submarine horror)

The Frankenstein Theory (weird found footage film...watched it after seeing Trollhunter. Trollhunter was much better but isn't really horror)

Oldboy (original) (Just a great movie. Probably not technically horror but worth watching)

It Comes At Night (sort of a pandemic movie)

Train to Busan (really fun Asian zombie movie. It's no 28 Days Later but is pretty good).
It Comes at Night sounds like a horror movie about my pancreatitis.

Biggest Halloween fan on this board! It’s my favorite time of year and I go all out. Just got paid today for decorating a little tasty freeze type place.
My favorite Halloween movies are....

Halloween (1978)
Halloween 2
Friday the 13th (1-6)
Fright Night (1985)
Silver Bullet (1985)
Per Semetary

Tons more but those are some of the ones I watch every year!
If any of you don’t know the connection with Bowling Green Kentucky and the Halloween movies go to YouTube and check it out. Pretty neat stuff.

Biggest Halloween fan on this board! It’s my favorite time of year and I go all out. Just got paid today for decorating a little tasty freeze type place.

Halloween (1978)
Halloween 2

Friday the 13th (1-6)
Fright Night (1985)
Silver Bullet (1985)
Per Semetary

If any of you don’t know the connection with Bowling Green Kentucky and the Halloween movies go to YouTube and check it out. Pretty neat stuff.

I thought you were about to list Halloween movies in order.

I haven't youtube it, but I know John Carpenter went to WKU.

Halloween (1978)
Halloween 2
Friday the 13th (1-6)
Fright Night (1985)
Silver Bullet (1985)
Per Semetary

Have you ever done the “Halloween” driving tour?

No shit. I've never heard of it. BIL is a huge Halloween fan and also from Kentucky (whole family went to WKU), so this is something to bring up. Thanks.

*something else to note about him that's kind of funny. He had a Halloween wedding and went to Waverly Hills Sanatorium for the honeymoon so the first born" could be conceived in Kentucky. It worked.He has a demon child. He's weird like that, but I still like him.

No but I would love to! It would be awesome.

Has anyone seen a movie called 'The Wretched'? A friend's son is in it (he is in a number of movies but this is his first horror) but I don't have Hulu.

Has anyone seen a movie called 'The Wretched'? A friend's son is in it (he is in a number of movies but this is his first horror) but I don't have Hulu.
I actually have that movie. I can upload it to a cloud service if you want.

I actually have that movie. I can upload it to a cloud service if you want.

His mom is going to bring me a copy to watch. I still have an old DVD player so that will work when she gets back from filming this family commercial they are all doing. Thanks though. Have you seen it?

His mom is going to bring me a copy to watch. I still have an old DVD player so that will work when she gets back from filming this family commercial they are all doing. Thanks though. Have you seen it?
I liked it. I only keep movies I like and put them on an external HD. I used to have a huge DVD/Bluray collection but gave them all to my niece. They started talking up too much square footage.

Our comic shop has a storage building of so much media. It's insane. We have so many movies,comics,games,memorabilia etc. I don't like the clutter at my house so I've saved everything of note to hard drives and cloud services.

Population 436

Below (submarine horror)

I'll end up watching every movie on this list. I've saw some, but there's plenty here to keep me busy. Thanks.

I liked it. I only keep movies I like and put them on an external HD. I used to have a huge DVD/Bluray collection but gave them all to my niece. They started talking up too much square footage.

Our comic shop has a storage building of so much media. It's insane. We have so many movies,comics,games,memorabilia etc. I don't like the clutter at my house so I've saved everything of note to hard drives and cloud services.

Yeah, I used to have all these DVDs as well but sold them. Like you said, just too much room. If you end up watching some of them let me know what you think here. Some of them are pretty random, lol. I like them all though. I'm weird though. There is a lot of horror that I don't care for that other people love. Like, I thought The Conjuring was kind of silly, just a basic haunting movie like most others out there and people seem to go crazy over it. I do like classic stuff like The Shining and Halloween though.

Population 436

Below (submarine horror)

Audition was nuts.

Which ones are your favorite? Classics and new movies.

My top 15 in no particular order:

Fright Night (1985)

Halloween (1978)

American Werewolf in London (1981)

Hereditary (2018)

The Shining (1980)

The Evil Dead (1981)

It Follows (2014)

Us (2019)

Silver Bullet (I know it’s terrible but I love it) (1985)

IT (mini series, which I also know is terrible but it’s a guilty pleasure) (1990)

Night of the Living Dead (1968)

The Exorcist (1973)

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

Rosemary’s Baby (probably in my top 3, ****ing crazy ass movie for it’s time) (1968)

Signs (2002)

There are a ton more I could list, as I’m a huge horror movie fan...

Discuss.
Fright Night is great...

**** the Exorcist---Scariest fukin movie EVER.

He Knows You are Alone...(1980)

Amityville Horror(1978)----Remake with Ryan Reynolds in 2005 was crazy good.

Reactions: UL_1986
Also----This one .....

Biden vs Trump.

Scary shit, bruh.

Fright Night is great...

The Excorcist never really bothered me but the movie “Halloween” scared the absolute shit outta me. Everything about it. The theme music, the mask, the emotionless look Myers has....shit scared me bad!

Fright Night is great...

For sure, Amityville is awesome. I haven’t seen the new one but I’ll check it out. Haven’t seen He knows you are alone, gotta see that one too.

The Excorcist never really bothered me but the movie “Halloween” scared the absolute shit outta me. Everything about it. The theme music, the mask, the emotionless look Myers has....shit scared me bad!
Thing I love the most about that movie from an aesthetic stand point is the lighting. Always super dark, and his mask is the first thing to come into light in the shot. Love that movie. The second Halloween from ‘81 was great too, after that they got pretty mediocre.

Reactions: uncfan in ky
I was entirely too young for I spit on your grave. Good thing for single moms and babysitters. I'm sure I was too young for Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm street, but I had already figured out how to work the rented VCR in the middle of the night so it didn't matter, which also worked great with Porky's, Back to School and Revenge of the Nerds.

It was fun. I have never seen that Hereditary one you listed but checked it out and it looks pretty good. I'm going to have to check it out.
Lemme know what you think of Hereditary. I remember seeing it in theaters, and being impressed. I rewatched it recently, and had to add it to my favorites.

We are heading to the Smoky Mountains in the morning and staying until Sunday. We go every year around this time just for the fact that they turn Gatlinburg into a Halloween town for the month plus I love seeing all of the Fall colors. Any of y’all ever go?

Lemme know what you think of Hereditary. I remember seeing it in theaters, and being impressed. I rewatched it recently, and had to add it to my favorites.
I liked Hereditary for the same reason I liked It follows. Very basic in concept but pulls it off perfectly.

I was entirely too young for I spit on your grave. Good thing for single moms and babysitters. I'm sure I was too young for Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm street, but I had already figured out how to work the rented VCR in the middle of the night so it didn't matter, which also worked great with Porky's, Back to School and Revenge of the Nerds.
I saw Nightmare on Elm Street when I was probably 8 at my dads. He’d always let me watch R films, which explains a lot. Lol

I was born in 83, so going to Hollywood Video, Blockbuster or Movie Gallery on the weekends was a ritual. Seeing the covers of movies without any context or rotten tomatoes made the experience better imo. Even if a movie sucked, you still waited until the end to see if it got any better. The late 80s-90s were great.

Thing I love the most about that movie from an aesthetic stand point is the lighting. Always super dark, and his mask is the first thing to come into light in the shot. Love that movie. The second Halloween from ‘81 was great too, after that they got pretty mediocre.

I agree! Part 1 & 2 are great and then they kinda go down hill. I remember the first time I had to stay in the hospital, I just knew Myers was coming for me! Lol

I liked Hereditary for the same reason I liked It follows. Very basic in concept but pulls it off perfectly.
Me too. Stripped down horror movie without cgi bs. IT Follows is one of my favorite new horror movies, it’s kind of like an 80s horror film almost.

I was one of the lucky kids on my street. My mom let us watch anything and everything. Growing up there was always a scary movie or something like Porkys or Revenge of the Nerds on the tv.

I saw Nightmare on Elm Street when I was probably 8 at my dads. He’d always let me watch R films, which explains a lot. Lol

I was born in 83, so going to Hollywood Video, Blockbuster or Movie Gallery on the weekends was a ritual. Seeing the covers of movies without any context or rotten tomatoes made the experience better imo. Even if a movie sucked, you still waited until the end to see if it got any better. The late 80s-90s were great.
'75 here, I have found some of my all time favorite movies just by judging the box at a rental place. KIDS, Clerks and Gummo come to mind.

I agree! Part 1 & 2 are great and then they kinda go down hill. I remember the first time I had to stay in the hospital, I just knew Myers was coming for me! Lol
What’s your opinion on the Rob Zombie remake?
I thought it was brilliant & loved how he went in depth on Michael’s childhood.

What’s your opinion on the Rob Zombie remake?
I thought it was brilliant & loved how he went in depth on Michael’s childhood.
Nothing....or rarely a remake is even noteworthy to the original. As much as I like Carpenter and Halloween, and Zombie and everything. It didn't do it for me....as much as the original did. I still liked it, but not the same. Kind of like his semi reboot of Rosemary's Baby.

I will say I f'n love Haunted World of El Superbeasto. He's been working on a sequel for years.

I think Zombie is best with his original characters.

I watched Phantasm when I was like in the second grade and was hooked on horror since then. I've never really understood the whole being scared by a movie thing though but the whole genre has always appealed to me. When I was single my house was decked out in all sorts of creepy decor. It was awesome. I had weird paintings and sculptures and all sorts of stuff like that.

ADVERTISEMENT