ADVERTISEMENT

Horror Movies for Halloween

UL_1986

Sep 13, 2018
Which ones are your favorite? Classics and new movies.

My top 15 in no particular order:

Fright Night (1985)

Halloween (1978)

American Werewolf in London (1981)

Hereditary (2018)

The Shining (1980)

The Evil Dead (1981)

It Follows (2014)

Us (2019)

Silver Bullet (I know it’s terrible but I love it) (1985)

IT (mini series, which I also know is terrible but it’s a guilty pleasure) (1990)

Night of the Living Dead (1968)

The Exorcist (1973)

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

Rosemary’s Baby (probably in my top 3, ****ing crazy ass movie for it’s time) (1968)

Signs (2002)

There are a ton more I could list, as I’m a huge horror movie fan...

Discuss.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I’m a huge fan of the Halloween movies. I recently bought the box set on blu-ray.
Also love the first few Friday the 13th movies.

Another one of my favorites is Trick R Treat. There’s a part 2 coming out next year.

Reactions: UL_1986
Absolutely the best time of the year to be a movie fan. Just watched the Curse of La Lorana last night. That was pretty good, part of the Conjuring universe. Any of those movies are money. Like all the movies you listed.

I would include Friday The 13th, The Ring, and Blair Witch Project among some of my favorites not listed.

The Exorcist
An American Werewolf in London
It
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Halloween ('78)
Friday the 13th
The Lost Boys
Return of the Living Dead
Silver Bullett
Fright Night
The Conjuring
Insideous
Sinister
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Hellraiser
The Strangers
Reanimator
A Quiet Place
The Fly
The Thing
Saw
The Shining

….all I can think of right now.... there are so many more.

I don't know if this is considered a Halloween Movie, but there's a very old movie based off an Edgar Allen Poe novel called Pit and the Pendulum (1961). I watched it on Halloween a few years ago and I remember being impressed with how dark it was, despite not having all the blood and guts of a typical horror movie.

Absolutely the best time of the year to be a movie fan. Just watched the Curse of La Lorana last night. That was pretty good, part of the Conjuring universe. Any of those movies are money. Like all the movies you listed.

I would include Friday The 13th, The Ring, and Blair Witch Project among some of my favorites not listed.
Forgot all about the conjuring movies, those are great. The ring still holds up and is scary asf imo.

The Exorcist
An American Werewolf in London
It
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Halloween ('78)
Friday the 13th
The Lost Boys
Return of the Living Dead
Silver Bullett
Fright Night
The Conjuring
Insideous
Sinister
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Hellraiser
The Strangers
Reanimator
A Quiet Place
The Fly
The Thing
Saw
The Shining

….all I can think of right now.... there are so many more.
Solid list, glad you like Silver Bullet too. Gary Busey is a awesome in that one.

I just watched “The Autopsy of Jane Doe” last night on Netflix. Anyone seen it? I thought it was pretty damn good.

Reactions: JimboBBN
Psycho, The Shining, Black Christmas, Evil Dead, The Mist, Halloween, Sisters, American Werewolf in London, Scanners, Jaws, Night of the Living Dead, Reanimator, Creepshow, Carrie, The Fly (original), The Thing, Scream, Rosemary's Baby.

I know there are some greats that aren't coming to mind.

Solid list, glad you like Silver Bullet too. Gary Busey is a awesome in that one.

Oh yeah, before he cracked his dome, Busey was pretty good in all his films. The scene where they town lynch mob goes looking for the werewolf in the fog....might be my favorite part.

Oh yeah, before he cracked his dome, Busey was pretty good in all his films. The scene where they town lynch mob goes looking for the werewolf in the fog....might be my favorite part.
Me too, I love that scene. He was great in Buddy Holly too. I actually know Gary somewhat oddly enough through a friend. Strange deal how I know him, and he’s definitely a wacky guy. Nice as hell though.

Reactions: JC for 3
Me too, I love that scene. He was great in Buddy Holly too. I actually know Gary somewhat oddly enough through a friend. Strange deal how I know him, and he’s definitely a wacky guy. Nice as hell though.
I suspect you have some odd weed connection to him somehow.

Just to list a couple that I may have missed above.

Devil's rejects and House of 1000 corpses.
The strangers.
Phantasm 2
V/H/S
REC
The Original I Spit on your Grave and Wicker Man
September Tapes.

I know I'll think of a bunch more.

Horror movies never really did it for me.

I watch Hocus Pocus and Casper every year. I watch Johnny Depp’s crappy Sleepy Hollow most years, too. That’s pretty much it.

Horror movies never really did it for me.

I watch Hocus Pocus and Casper every year. I watch Johnny Depp’s crappy Sleepy Hollow most years, too. That’s pretty much it.
I like horror movies....love them actually, but good ones are so far and few between. Also, I don't rewatch movies/shows like I used to so I don't watch movies just for Halloween either.

Psycho, The Shining, Black Christmas, Evil Dead, The Mist, Halloween, Sisters, American Werewolf in London, Scanners, Jaws, Night of the Living Dead, Reanimator, Creepshow, Carrie, The Fly (original), The Thing, Scream, Rosemary's Baby.

I know there are some greats that aren't coming to mind.
Loved the original Creepshow and Twilight Zone the movie.

I’ve seen it. Remember thinking it was pretty good. I’ve all but run out of scary movies on Netflix
I’ve been back and forth between Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. I’ve got a shit ton of Horror films on VHS and DVD. I still have a combo player in my living room lol.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Loved the original Creepshow and Twilight Zone the movie.

VeneratedImmediateCrossbill-small.gif

The 80's had some of the best/worst horror movies ever. Something about them was horrible but awesome at the same time.

I have this ready to watch tonight after the wife gets home. Thanks.

Gonna watch Midsomar tonight.
Finding new/old stuff is one thing I like about these threads.

I've never heard or watched Midsommar and after looking it up, I'm going to check it out. Just the little bit of the trailer I think of the original Wickerman.

Another older movie I liked a lot and thought was underrated was a 80's Australian movie called Fortress.

I'm a big horror nerd. There are some really good foreign horror films that aren't extremely well known. Here are a few random films that may not be as well known.

R-Point (South Korean war horror)

The Ritual (different take on lost in the woods horror)

Never Let Me Go (more dystopian sci fi but pretty good if you don't need action)

The Wailing (kick ass Asian horror movie)

Audition (more torture type revenge horror. I don't like torture films. They suck and are cheap thrills but this one is good)

Let the Right One In (not the crappy remake.. Probably a top 5 all time horror flick here)

Population 436

Session 9 (great haunted asylum film)

The Burrowers (western horror)

Trick R Treat (classic Halloween horror),

Below (submarine horror)

Deathwatch (British war horror)

Pontypool (another of my all time favorites. Very unique)

Isolation (weird rural horror)

Phase 7 (kind of a comedy but solid)

Altered (decent alien abduction)

The Bay (pretty cool movie about water parasites)

The Frankenstein Theory (weird found footage film...watched it after seeing Trollhunter. Trollhunter was much better but isn't really horror)

Europa Report (sci fi horror)

Apollo 18 (sci fi horror and a really good one)

I'm Not Scared (a slow burn but good one)

Oldboy (original) (Just a great movie. Probably not technically horror but worth watching)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT