ADVERTISEMENT

Hey UNC fan in KY..

I'm usually using the app and cant see pictures very well,but lm on website and finally saw your picture. If that's you, I think I remember you doing some of her games. It's been 2 years now, but if I remember correctly, you always did a very good job. I was hoping that you weren't a different one because I didn't care for him. Not so much that he was bad, but he's a big guy and he refused to actually run up and down the court. So, it always gave the impression that when a team pushed the ball up even remotely fast, he was making every call from out of position when he was the baseline ref.
That's me. And I know who you're talking about. The guy was a really good official. Went through some tough times. Got out of shape. I won't work with him anymore. He takes medication now, which helps. But after the fiasco we had a few years back@ Clarksville [vs Pekin], I just refuse to call games with him. Heck of a nice guy. And like I said, at one time a very good official.
Thanks for the compliment. Rather it's CBB, MS or HS, I try to give the same effort. Kids, fans and coaches deserve that. And if someone on my crew won't take that approach. Well I don't work with them.

Anything is better than the last one! He was more worried about people thinking that he was cool then anything else. Don't get me wrong, they haven't had much talent there in many years, so I'm not talking about wins and losses. But, when you see your daughter and her friends make the same basic mistakes like always going to the corners while trying to beat the press....its frustrating! Lol literally, for almost 2 whole seasons, instead of getting the ball towards the middle, or reversing the 2nd pass before they got trapped, he had the ball go towards the baseline BEFORE they crossed half court. So, they were constantly running into a 4 vs 1 when you include the sideline, half court line and a double team.

That's a hard enough situation for an experienced good player, but for someone who struggles with basic fundamentals, it's an embarrassing turnover just waiting to happen. Also, lol, if you're ever doing a game I'm at, I'll tell you about a very odd encounter that I had with him the first time we met in the bathroom of all places. Nothing crazy, but a very very odd comment that isn't expected between 2 men....especially when you don't know them lol.
I could see a ton of improvement. To be honest, I wouldn't work their games. It was just bad. Then a buddy of mine got the AD job. I already worked boys games, so he was like....Cmon, work some girls. So I did. First year. Was rough. But last year, there was a ton of improvement. We worked the game vs North Harrison. Clarksville was missing by far their best player; torn ACL. Had They had her, it wouldve been much closer. I mean NH still pounds them. But it would've been much more competitve.
I've got two games there this year as well.

Is Jason still the AD? I helped coach the middle school boys 8th grade team, so the head coach and I spent the whole season talking to him about firing him. It wasn't fair to those girls that unless parents taught them....they were no better after 4 years!
I don't blame you one bit for not doing their games. Not only was it horrible basketball, but you couldn't go to a game without seeing someone get pushed.

I didn't see it, but I was so happy to hear that during the new coach's 1st game, their best player (im sure you know who I'm talking about)did something bad, like push or talk back and he sat her the whole 2nd half. But, I don't blame the kids for doing it. Because when you're not punished in the past for those types of things, and its actually laughed about....why would you stop? In those girls minds, they were being cool when they did it.

Last year was my daughter's 1st since graduation, and of course, it was his last year there. But, there were 4 of them that graduated with her, and they were good kids. One of them had some family issues and she had issues handling her anger. But if I remember correctly, she never did anything against another person, but more herself. But, I was proud of my daughter for sticking it out and I can say....she never was one of those kids. that girl doesn't have a mean streak in her body lol.

Is Jason still the AD? I helped coach the middle school boys 8th grade team, so the head coach and I spent the whole season talking to him about firing him. It wasn't fair to those girls that unless parents taught them....they were no better after 4 years!
I don't blame you one bit for not doing their games. Not only was it horrible basketball, but you couldn't go to a game without seeing someone get pushed.

I didn't see it, but I was so happy to hear that during the new coach's 1st game, their best player (im sure you know who I'm talking about)did something bad, like push or talk back and he sat her the whole 2nd half. But, I don't blame the kids for doing it. Because when you're not punished in the past for those types of things, and its actually laughed about....why would you stop? In those girls minds, they were being cool when they did it.

Last year was my daughter's 1st since graduation, and of course, it was his last year there. But, there were 4 of them that graduated with her, and they were good kids. One of them had some family issues and she had issues handling her anger. But if I remember correctly, she never did anything against another person, but more herself. But, I was proud of my daughter for sticking it out and I can say....she never was one of those kids. that girl doesn't have a mean streak in her body lol.
Jason isn't the AD. MOF, I was texting him this morning about it. I hate that, too. Good friend, and IMO, done the best he could there. The culture at Clarksville HAS TO CHANGE. I know a ton of officials, baseball and basketball, who don't work their due to the rudeness of the fans, coaches and players. Boys basketball is down right , well, it is What it is. I'm very good friend with the head baseball coach. He just a great job.
In reference to your head coach for girls...Class act. I had a game where I "T'd" up a player; scramble for a ball, and she pushes the kid. Sat her down immediately. She went to explain and he said, "there is no explanation. What you did was wrong". Ton of respect for that guy.

Reactions: jace46555

Jason isn't the AD. MOF, I was texting him this morning about it. I hate that, too. Good friend, and IMO, done the best he could there. The culture at Clarksville HAS TO CHANGE. I know a ton of officials, baseball and basketball, who don't work their due to the rudeness of the fans, coaches and players. Boys basketball is down right , well, it is What it is. I'm very good friend with the head baseball coach. He just a great job.
In reference to your head coach for girls...Class act. I had a game where I "T'd" up a player; scramble for a ball, and she pushes the kid. Sat her down immediately. She went to explain and he said, "there is no explanation. What you did was wrong". Ton of respect for that guy.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a very loud parent lol, but in 4 years of her games, I don't think I ever cared enough about the outcome to yell at the officials. I already knew it was going to be a bad loss, and when you're trying to just get them to somewhat play fundamentally sound basketball....yelling at a official at a girls game just seemed silly. Instead, I was the parent who was constantly yelling trying to tell her what to do. There were actually quite a few times where the coaches would literally look up at me after I yelled something and then yell to them to do what I just said.

Don't get me wrong, I believe it's very important for parents to let the coach run the team. But, when he's not doing that year after year, I don't have a problem doing it for him! My daughter only gets 4 years of basketball, and I refused to just sit back and let him ruin it for them.

But, I completely agree with you about the fans. My wife and I were constantly embarrassed being associated with some of them. Most were really good people, but they were always overshadowed by the loud ones. Game after game, we felt that if anyone looked up the definition of "white trash ", it would be the section that had the clarksville parents in. Which I never understood, because it's not a bad area at all, and that doesn't represent the community imo.

You're spot on about needing a culture change and until someone is strong enough to make that stand at the administration level, it's not going to change. These are good kids and you don't see this type of behavior during school. But, once the game starts, it's like its completely different kids. I've had many of the girls players over to the house and not 1 was ever disrespectful. But, they think it's cool to act that way on the court and it's a shame the school just let's it happen.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Don't get me wrong, I'm a very loud parent lol, but in 4 years of her games, I don't think I ever cared enough about the outcome to yell at the officials. I already knew it was going to be a bad loss, and when you're trying to just get them to somewhat play fundamentally sound basketball....yelling at a official at a girls game just seemed silly. Instead, I was the parent who was constantly yelling trying to tell her what to do. There were actually quite a few times where the coaches would literally look up at me after I yelled something and then yell to them to do what I just said.

Don't get me wrong, I believe it's very important for parents to let the coach run the team. But, when he's not doing that year after year, I don't have a problem doing it for him! My daughter only gets 4 years of basketball, and I refused to just sit back and let him ruin it for them.

But, I completely agree with you about the fans. My wife and I were constantly embarrassed being associated with some of them. Most were really good people, but they were always overshadowed by the loud ones. Game after game, we felt that if anyone looked up the definition of "white trash ", it would be the section that had the clarksville parents in. Which I never understood, because it's not a bad area at all, and that doesn't represent the community imo.

You're spot on about needing a culture change and until someone is strong enough to make that stand at the administration level, it's not going to change. These are good kids and you don't see this type of behavior during school. But, once the game starts, it's like its completely different kids. I've had many of the girls players over to the house and not 1 was ever disrespectful. But, they think it's cool to act that way on the court and it's a shame the school just let's it happen.
Losing breeds the behavior. I know a lot of the kids. And for the most part, very respectable young men and women. I've had more issues from parents, than the kids. MOF, I've worked a ton of Baseball and basketball there. I can only recall 1 or 2 technicals. And one ejection. But I can recall a ton of pure nastiness from fans. But....I also know a lot of the parents. And for the most, they are solid people. It's really not the parents, More AS it's the common fan; no kids on the team. I don't have time to tell ya the stories. But my GOODNESS.

Losing breeds the behavior. I know a lot of the kids. And for the most part, very respectable young men and women. I've had more issues from parents, than the kids. MOF, I've worked a ton of Baseball and basketball there. I can only recall 1 or 2 technicals. And one ejection. But I can recall a ton of pure nastiness from fans. But....I also know a lot of the parents. And for the most, they are solid people. It's really not the parents, More AS it's the common fan; no kids on the team. I don't have time to tell ya the stories. But my GOODNESS.
9ne of these days hopefully we run into each other and have time to ya a beer. I'd love to compare the stories.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
9ne of these days hopefully we run into each other and have time to ya a beer. I'd love to compare the stories.
Yep. I work a lot of travel tourneys at Clarksville LL. That will change soon as my fall College baseball starts; plus college basketball. Next time im at Clarksville for travel ball. I'll let us know. Of course I have basketball as well. Or so I hope. New AD and I aren't the best of dudes.

Reactions: jace46555
ADVERTISEMENT